Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Also why I suggested the learning computer get reprogrammed for this What If, since while Cell loving fighting was almost definitely genetic in nature(since he does have Saiyan genes in him), him wanting to kill and eat people as well as his massive ego were almost certainly the result of Dr Gero's programming and recordings rather than anything inherent

there are a lot of ifs in this what if

cell was also part frieza, and nobody else was exactly averse to killing (even krillin would have killed vegeta had goku not stopped him). cell wanting to kill and eat people were entirely because eating people gave him a free power boost. if we're guessing at other reasons tho, it's just as likely that he needs to eat people to survive as it is that gero wanted him to do it for some reason (why would he want that tho is the question). his ego is because he's goku, vegeta, and frieza wrapped into one person

but even if you took all that away and raised cell into an upstanding citizen (it's not like dbz really cares if you're a monster)... he'd still be stuck at first stage anyway because he couldn't eat 17 and 18, meaning he'd a) be weaker than piccolo and b) not have perfect cell's voice actor. and what's the point of a cell without dameon clarke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Manatee Cannon posted:

but even if you took all that away and raised cell into an upstanding citizen (it's not like dbz really cares if you're a monster)... he'd still be stuck at first stage anyway because he couldn't eat 17 and 18, meaning he'd a) be weaker than piccolo and b) not have perfect cell's voice actor. and what's the point of a cell without dameon clarke
Give him an evil 17/18 from an alternate universe.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Or just use the Dragon Balls. Not like we don't have magic wish balls sitting around.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Wishing for power is dumb and Goku would force Cell to train instead

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Boogie back (Boogie Back!)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Momomo posted:

Was Japanese Cell like that in Xenoverse, because Dameon Clarke made sure every single line was hammed up to its maximum in that game.

Japanese Cell is voiced by Norio Wakamoto, so that should answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYaIunqys-U

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You guys are forgetting a little bit about Cell.

He was programmed to want to be perfect. That was his number 1 goal, period.

Unfortunately, he started out weaker than Krillin, and had to go around eating people to power up while 17/18 were running around. It was a huge mixed bag, he had to somehow power up quickly before he got killed by any of the protagonists or wasn't yet powerful enough to absorb 17/18.

Once he absorbed 17/18 he mellowed out because his primary goal was complete. Then his mix of being Vegeta/Goku/Freeza took over, and all he wanted to do was be the best, but still get challenged by people. So he did stuff like:

Goku:
Letting everyone live and train to get strong enough so they could actually challenge him
Set up a tournament where the heroes face their universe being destroyed if they lose
Fighting at half power in order to get a better fight from people

Vegeta/Freeza:
Throwing gigantic stupid tantrums when he lost and then just blow up the world because he can't take being beaten

If Cell got the carrot on the stick of seeing Goku pull out a bunch of bullshit transformations, and knowing he could do the exact same thing himself, it might keep him from blowing up stuff when he gets beat.

And that's why he's the best trainer in Xenoverse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are a lot of ifs in this what if

cell was also part frieza, and nobody else was exactly averse to killing (even krillin would have killed vegeta had goku not stopped him). cell wanting to kill and eat people were entirely because eating people gave him a free power boost. if we're guessing at other reasons tho, it's just as likely that he needs to eat people to survive as it is that gero wanted him to do it for some reason (why would he want that tho is the question). his ego is because he's goku, vegeta, and frieza wrapped into one person

Eh most What If stories rely on there being more than one major divergence, they just use one specific one as the selling point

Also while Perfect Cell is pretty great, part of me still likes Imperfect Cell the best, he's just so wonderfully creepy, not to mention his design is definitely better than Perfect Cell's

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

My favorite Dragon Ball alt-timeline idea is one where fusion was used early and became the primary choice of power over transformations for fights

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

PMush Perfect posted:

Give him an evil 17/18 from an alternate universe.
Have Dr. Gero build versions of 17 and 18 in Hell and then have them fuse into a really bad character design.

Black August posted:

My favorite Dragon Ball alt-timeline idea is one where fusion was used early and became the primary choice of power over transformations for fights

Ah, Goku Universe.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Ah, Goku Universe.

I dunno, I'd like to think Goku would be A-rank but not the sole narrative power if the furthest he could ever get was the kaioken

He'd need partners of great strength keeping up with him for worthwhile forms and the reason I like the idea is nevermind constant form designs to play with, but also the need to have the rest of the cast in there and mattering

But 'ey, fanfic

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still really like the Kaioken because it's a bullshit powerup with an actual legit good reason why Goku doesn't use it immediately in every fight instead of Goku playing with his opponents.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku used the kaioken in every major fight after vegeta; they just didn't show the red aura. even super saiyan doesn't have the aura at all times, but the hair/eye color change keeps it visually distinct so you don't have to have goku mention he's doing it for you to know

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No he didn't Super specifically addressed this as it's fanfic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Goku never used it after fighting Freeza, until he was able to combine it with SSJB

What confused you was the fact that Goku was constantly using it fighting Freeza, without it showing off, because he was fighting smarter- only turning it on for quick bursts when needed. This had the effect of the gang with King Kai being confused about him not using it, when he was just in a way that wouldn't wreck his body.

Notably the one time he did use it in a way that would wreck his body, he had the aura again.

Kaioken is the best power up. I wish it wasn't COMPLETELY useless in Xenvoerse 2 compared to Unlocked Potential

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I assume he refers to the call out between Goku and Ginyu where Goku seemingly implies he raises his powerlevel with Kaioken technique as a passive power increase.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am pretty sure he says if I use it I can get it higher which is the opposite of passive.

Though it's been a long time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kanos posted:

I still really like the Kaioken because it's a bullshit powerup with an actual legit good reason why Goku doesn't use it immediately in every fight instead of Goku playing with his opponents.

Kaioken is my #1 favorite technique empowerment move and move in the whole series

I am a sucker who loves life force for power augments, and I like how it made a logical comeback and is still as dangerous as it used to be to old supermortal Goku, and it almost feels like a weird marker of where he broke the wall, by learning this divine power tech that no mortal had business knowing, leading to Super Saiyan and then where we are now.

Plus stuff like DBMT has kaioken od master Krillen and z-sword Videl and that's cool to me

Also I miss Goku screaming kaioken instead of wordless generic powerup screams

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

I assume he refers to the call out between Goku and Ginyu where Goku seemingly implies he raises his powerlevel with Kaioken technique as a passive power increase.

I don't think that's how it worked, though maybe.

I haven't seen/read that in a while.

I always thought that was just Goku holding back his true power after training at X100 gravity. Mostly because we know the technique still kicked the crap out of him when he pushed it far enough, thanks to what it did to him in the Freeza fight.

Regardless, after Freeza, he stopped using it until Super.

A fun What if, in Battle of Gods, would be if Goku suddenly used Kaio Ken while SSJ God. Beerus would have not been happy

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Goku was like 90k PL without Kaikoen and Ginyu is all like heh so what I'm 150k then Goku uses Kaioken and goes up to 180k and Ginyu freaks the gently caress out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I meant every fight after vegeta until he got super saiyan (so basically ginyu and frieza)

should have specified but I wasn't thinking

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sassassin posted:

It's still Uncle Phil.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17AyCOaHVk

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Funky Valentine posted:

Have Dr. Gero build versions of 17 and 18 in Hell and then have them fuse into a really bad character design.

Android 35 or Android 17.5?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Super Saiyan Blue Kaio Ken is Toei filler. It's a dead power up in Toriyama's eyes, made obsolete by Super Saiyan.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

we don't know if this is true. cell's transformation, like frieza's could be a function of power levels

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Super Saiyan Blue Kaio Ken is Toei filler. It's a dead power up in Toriyama's eyes, made obsolete by Super Saiyan.

Filler, but there's no source. That isn't the definition of a filler, you know. The manga isn't the source, technically the notes Toriyama writes could be considered "source", but guess what, we are not privy to those.

So in a strict sense, naw, you're wrong. It's canon now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elfgames posted:

we don't know if this is true. cell's transformation, like frieza's could be a function of power levels

Cell ate the dude and became a bulky, awkward looking puberty monster, then he ate the woman as well and became a statuesque, androgynous superbeing. His visual designs are obviously reflective of which androids he's eaten.

sassassin posted:

But, it is really, really cool.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

Cell ate the dude and became a bulky, awkward looking puberty monster, then he ate the woman as well and became a statuesque, androgynous superbeing. His visual designs are obviously reflective of which androids he's eaten.

but then he turned into an androgynous superbeing after blowing himself up and getting stronger even though he didn't eat any more ladies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elfgames posted:

but then he turned into an androgynous superbeing after blowing himself up and getting stronger even though he didn't eat any more ladies.

Zenkais sure are a useful storytelling convenience, huh?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordaedil posted:

Filler, but there's no source. That isn't the definition of a filler, you know. The manga isn't the source, technically the notes Toriyama writes could be considered "source", but guess what, we are not privy to those.

We are privy to those in the sense that if something doesn't appear in both products then it's not going to have been in the story outline.

If Toyotaro doesn't use SSBKK or 28 planets then it's obviously junk Toei came up with (that will never actually matter to the main plot), no better than Cell tanking a Destructo Disk, Vegeta blowing up a bug planet, Tien being an actual assassin and Yamcha beating up the Ginyu Force.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

We are privy to those in the sense that if something doesn't appear in both products then it's not going to have been in the story outline.

If Toyotaro doesn't use SSBKK or 28 planets then it's obviously junk Toei came up with (that will never actually matter to the main plot), no better than Cell tanking a Destructo Disk, Vegeta blowing up a bug planet, Tien being an actual assassin and Yamcha beating up the Ginyu Force.

Nobody cares about Toyotaro

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you accept SSBKK as canon then you also have to accept Garlick Jr. and Krillin's best girlfriend as canon.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

Nobody cares about Toyotaro

Toriyama says nice things about him.

His Future Trunks/Black issues are better than the show.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Toriyama says nice things about him.

His Future Trunks/Black issues are better than the show.

It sure is a shame the show is more canon then

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Canon is a fake idea and doubly so in Dragon Ball, a series where the mangaka forgets the continuity of his own story on a regular basis. You shouldn't let the realhistory of an imaginary cartoon world stop you enjoying funny jokes and cool fights.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elfgames posted:

he says why he came back as perfect cell. it's because his body remembered being that way, so he just went back to it. base form cell that hadn't ever absorbed the androids wouldn't be able to do that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Black Is Black posted:

Boogie back (Boogie Back!)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Burn it down!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

If you accept SSBKK as canon then you also have to accept Garlick Jr. and Krillin's best girlfriend as canon.

Naw, not at all actually.

• Locked thread