Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

g0del posted:

That would explain it. There was a lot going on, and it's entirely possible that I didn't hit either berserker with a direct hit. I really wish cobras weren't so useless in this game compared to ME3.

which is weird because i keep double-dropping the big remnant robots, those are the destroyers? or are they hydras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Two Finger posted:

which is weird because i keep double-dropping the big remnant robots, those are the destroyers? or are they hydras?

Destroyers. They're super weak when they open their chest cannon thing.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

comatose posted:

Yeah. Shields seem to be far more durable this time around, while armor and health are relatively weak in comparison. It takes a fair amount of effort to strip the shields from Destroyers/Anointed, but once that's gone their armor/health disappears pretty quickly.

EDIT: All bets go out the window when you're talking about fiends. Those guys move too fast and have too long a reach for the ridiculous nonsense they can do. They need to add some additional requirements before they can sync kill you (like the Phantom needed to stagger you first).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fiends need to be louder, a giant rock monster should not be that quiet.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Small point which may have passed people by (I'm think I must be the only person in the world who even noticed it was broken), but the combat cloak evolution of tactical cloak has been fixed on the quiet.

You get proper cooldown reduction for breaking it early now. Awesome.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 11, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Small point which may have passed people by (I'm think I must be the only person in the world who even noticed it was even broken), but the combat cloak evolution of tactical cloak has been fixed on the quiet.

You get proper cooldown reduction for breaking it early now. Awesome.

We knew it was broken (someone mentioned it earlier in the thread), and someone on Reddit noted that it had been ninja-fixed. But yeah, I might actually play Infiltrators now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zakmonster posted:

(someone mentioned it earlier in the thread)
Yeah. Me!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

comatose posted:

Yeah a Cobra to the chest when the weakspot is open will kill it 100% of the time even on gold. Also it seems like the AoE damage of a cobra isn't fixed - it seems to depend on it's direct hit damage because a cobra that hits a destroyers weakspot will annihilate anything nearby, including other destroyers. While a cobra on the floor between two berserkers will take 50% off both or less.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Alteisen posted:

Yep. One cleared out the full team I was playing in because none of us saw (or heard) it coming, and it even sync killed me from the floor below

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I tried to save a guy from getting synced by a Fiend the other day and blasted a direct hit from a Cobra that did no visible damage at all. They are the worst enemy in the game.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
I've had fiends teleport at me in single player. It's pretty hosed up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

But sync kills are a design necessity!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alteisen posted:

1.06 patch notes:
    - Fiends now have banshee scream sound effect

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Can you do the math on how many minutes I'm shaving off my life eating that dogfood vs how much time the boosters would save me getting a character to 20? tia

Hmmm, 50% boost vs....

It could be a wash?? :shrug:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I've been playing as a Human Infiltrator lately, but sniping doesn't really suit my playstyle. I'm finding that I get a lot more out of it playing it the same as I play essentially everything else: assault rifles, pistols, powers and power cells. I tend to use the tactical cloak just as much to disappear and get to cover to heal up as I do to place sneak attacks and such.

Am I Infiltratoring too entirely wrong? I've only been playing on Bronze and Silver but it seems to be working alright for now.

Edit: Also, what's the suggested build(s) for this thing? Please include the A and B options if possible. I can sorta imagine it not mattering much for some of the skills, but when it comes to passives and such I obviously wanna make sure I put points into the wisest options.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 11, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If it works for you, who gives a gently caress if it's wrong.

If you want to infiltrate "optimally", it's good to get into the habit of not using cloak until right before you attack though (I mean that literally. Wait until you're actually going to pull the trigger before you activate it). Cloak's cooldown is proportional to the time remaining when it's deactivated, so you can benefit from the damage boost a lot more often that way.

Build however you want, experiment. Respecs are only 15 mission funds anyway, get a couple of strike teams going and you're loving swimming in them before a week's out.

edit: I will say, owing to the above cooldown rule, a duration increase is as good as a recharge speed increase for cloak. Something to bare in mind if you have a class that can stack tech duration increases in its passives (cough salarian cough)

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 11, 2017

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I would be running a shotgun toting infiltrator, but every shotgun I've gotten so far is rear end.
Haven't tested the disciple yet, so that's excluded.
I usually just run the isharay

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

tooterfish posted:

If it works for you, who gives a gently caress if it's wrong.

If you want to infiltrate "optimally", it's good to get into the habit of not using cloak until right before you attack though (I mean that literally. Wait until you're actually going to pull the trigger before you activate it). Cloak's cooldown is proportional to the time remaining when it's deactivated, so you can benefit from the damage boost a lot more often that way.

Build however you want, experiment. Respecs are only 15 mission funds anyway, get a couple of strike teams going and you're loving swimming in them before a week's out.

edit: I will say, owing to the above cooldown rule, a duration increase is as good as a recharge speed increase for cloak. Something to bare in mind if you have a class that can stack tech duration increases in its passives (cough salarian cough)

Thanks for the advice re: cloak. It sorta sucks that they make you choose between a hefty damage boost and the recharge speed boost at its fourth level, but I get the logic behind it. I think I'm still a little too used to using it evasively to cut that out entirely, but I'll definitely try to preserve it for the damage bonus more often.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
From playing the salarian infiltrator. Max bomb damage and learn where all the ammo boxes are. Stickies dont unveil cloak but they do recieve the damage boost so they are very good at eliminating strong targets. Follow it up with a strong/high fire rate gun and you can solo destroyers and such(but not archons because they're assholes)

Not sure about incinerate since salarian has shield drain, but im sure another goon has words about it.
I find the first cooldown buff you get for cloak from 3 levels is good enough, so i went for more damage. Also, in case you haven't noticed, enemies will notice you if you're cloaked and in melee range.

Also, abuse your dodge cloak to confuse enemies. Observers will often just gently caress off and turn towards someone else since they have long range, everyone else does a silly back and forth dance.

Edit: I use the charger, as it's one of the only okay guns right now.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 11, 2017

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Nasgate posted:

I find the first cooldown buff you get for cloak from 3 levels is good enough, so i went for more damage. Also, in case you haven't noticed, enemies will notice you if you're cloaked and in melee range.

Also, abuse your dodge cloak to confuse enemies. Observers will often just gently caress off and turn towards someone else since they have long range, everyone else does a silly back and forth dance.
Yeah, I also chose the damage boost for the cloak since the recharge time isn't actually all that bad already. I've also noticed how the cloak dodge can throw enemies really easily, but I've not been using it that much because I've got this terrible habit of evading my rear end into corners or off cliffs. I'm working on it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I would be running a shotgun toting infiltrator, but every shotgun I've gotten so far is rear end.
I tried the piranha today. I could kinda make it work if I did this:

It still wasn't that impressive though. Maybe with more ranks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've got a Rank VI and it still takes three point-blank shots to kill a mook on gold.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I based my human infiltrator around using sniper rifles because the absurd health increases enemies get between difficulties means that they're some of the only competitive weapons on gold, so this might not apply to you, but I went for damage/duration/regeneration during cloak. Duration has become less important since disarm objectives go so much faster now, but I still really like it with cloak regeneration to just flip off whoever is shooting you and leave, coming back with all your shields. It really is great for keeping you alive since you have no damage reduction.

Incinerate: Go for damage and double incinerates. I tried the radius incinerate for a number of matches and never saw it work once, so just go for more damage combined with the double incinerate to hit two bros anyway. The base damage on this skill will be a joke on gold too, but it will hold people in place while you reload and it can finish them off if you don't quite hit a breakpoint to kill. More useful than it might seem.

Sticky grenade: Go for more grenades and damage to armor. With 4+ grenade capacity you can cloak, stick every grenade to a hydra/berserker/fiend to do mega damage, then circle to an ammo box and do it again. Become budget Grenade Bastard.

Max out munitions training and you have 1 point left to put into health and shields. You're quite safe without getting more health because you have cloak to escape, and the cloak dodge alone does wonders to keep you alive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm getting pretty tired of crashing to desktop in multi now. It wasn't happening before that patch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digirat posted:

Sticky grenade: Go for more grenades and damage to armor. With 4+ grenade capacity you can cloak, stick every grenade to a hydra/berserker/fiend to do mega damage, then circle to an ammo box and do it again. Become budget Grenade Bastard.

I hope this is a feature and not a bug because having the "gently caress off, bosses" button in your pocket like that is amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope this is a feature and not a bug because having the "gently caress off, bosses" button in your pocket like that is amazing.

If it works you can guarantee they are gonna fix it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grenades do not get the cloak bonus so they don't break cloak, allowing you to throw 6 at once while invisible.

The same applies to cobras. :madmax:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
anyway to disable/remap the stupid tilde button that's smartly right next to the most commonly used power button?

Times I want console in game = almost never

Times I die because the stupid console opened accidentally = lots

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Digirat posted:

Grenades do not get the cloak bonus so they don't break cloak, allowing you to throw 6 at once while invisible.

The same applies to cobras. :madmax:

I mean im 12 levels in with salarian infiltrator and either the stickies get the bonus damage, or ive been hallucinating the past week.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
The only infiltrators I've ever liked were the Salarian Infiltrator and the Turian Ghost in ME3.

I know the Salarian Infiltrator is in MEA, but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same. I think it's because I can play a soldier and use a sniper rifle just as well (if not better) than an infiltrator. I know I keep harping on about soldiers ITT, but its only because I can actually play them well in this game, compared to ME3, where they always felt a little underwhelming compared to all the explosion-machines and the Krogan murdertrain.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

highmodulus posted:

anyway to disable/remap the stupid tilde button that's smartly right next to the most commonly used power button?

My ugly brute force workaround is to pop the tilde off of the keyboard when I am playing if it starts to bother me. Can't hit it if it isn't there.

Zakmonster posted:

The only infiltrators I've ever liked were the Salarian Infiltrator and the Turian Ghost in ME3.

I know the Salarian Infiltrator is in MEA, but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same. I think it's because I can play a soldier and use a sniper rifle just as well (if not better) than an infiltrator. I know I keep harping on about soldiers ITT, but its only because I can actually play them well in this game, compared to ME3, where they always felt a little underwhelming compared to all the explosion-machines and the Krogan murdertrain.

I've never really liked infiltrators, aside from the Ghost. The whole thing where you cloak and then immediately fire to minimize the cooldown feels so janky and I hate it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Got through one gold tonight. Then crashed on the second one on wave 4. This is why I keep not playing this game, it's just ridiculous.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

highmodulus posted:

Download this.

Paste this:
code:
import time

if keyboard.getPressed(Key.Grave):
	time.sleep(0.1)
	keyboard.setPressed(Key.Grave)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

BrianWilly posted:

I hope Kandros gets drunker and drunker as new multiplayer content comes out over time.

i'm pretty sleep-deprived but lmao at this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

I mean im 12 levels in with salarian infiltrator and either the stickies get the bonus damage, or ive been hallucinating the past week.

They do a crap ton of damage even without cloaking, I haven't noticed them doing more from cloak and I've been playing SalInf too. I'm not positive though, might want to check Reddit :puke:

E: what's the deal with the Ushior? It does a lot of damage but not enough to justify the single shot clip

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got a vanquisher 1 and it's pretty gross on my Salarian Infiltrator.

anime tupac posted:

i'm pretty sleep-deprived but lmao at this

"Ugh. gently caress. What time is it? Whatever. Just shoot these guys, god drat. It's wave three already? gently caress. Uh reports indicate there's some alka-seltzer here. You know what to do."

The rest of the match has vomiting noises.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 12, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Vanquisher is gross on any class. It's clearly broken in multiplayer, because instead of being the slightly larger clip size, slightly less damage version of the Viper it is in singleplayer, it is bigger clip and massively more damage in multiplayer with no downside except for slightly increased weight. Someone must have misplaced the damage value from another sniper accidentally, because it makes no loving sense.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's only gross relatively, because nearly every other gun is a gigantic waste of loving time to use.

It's not really the damage that fucks them, it's the crazy accuracy bloom, which as far as I can tell can't be counteracted at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tooterfish posted:

It's only gross relatively, because nearly every other gun is a gigantic waste of loving time to use.

It's not really the damage that fucks them, it's the crazy accuracy bloom, which as far as I can tell can't be counteracted at all.

I brought a sidewinder 1 I just unlocked at the same time I brought the vanquisher thinking I could just switch and shoot if the sniper needed to reload. It turned out to be faster to kill the enemy by just reloading the sniper than dumping the sidewinder's six shots into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, for some it's the damage.

But when a Turian soldier with fully stacked bonuses to accuracy and stability can't shoot an automatic beyond point blank, you know something's hosed. I'd ask rhetorically if they tested this poo poo before foisting it on us, but we already know they didn't.

It's not even just a multiplayer problem. I took Vetra as a companion once in the single player, I laughed my bollocks off as she unloaded on a guy 10 feet away and hit literally everything in a 45 degree arc in front of her but him.

• Locked thread