Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

I assume that it's far enough into the future, and that the Triforce has been passed down through the royal bloodline long enough, that the family only knows about it as the "Sealing Power". I think they mention that Zelda's grandmother had the magic, and I think maybe her mother did, too, though that kind of confuses me as to how that bloodline is being passed down. It's also not really clear if the power Zelda was actually trying to awaken is at all related to the Hylia power from Skyward Sword.

On another note, I really hope Nintendo eventually clears up the "Triforce-wielding monarchy" bit of the timeline. It'd be interesting to know how that works, like how it's passed down and what-not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Or we can continue to just enjoy the vague themes and imagery and sleep soundly at night.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Wildtortilla posted:

Finally at the Yiga hideout and I can confirm this really is some serious bullshit. I've been spotted through walls 3/3 failed attempts so far. This is the last thing between me and ending the game and I haven't been frustrated by anything yet. Never made it this far in a game and still had a near perfect opinion of it and this is really testing my patience.

Go get a bunch of ancient arrows and gently caress those bastards up. :getin:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so what happens if you shoot a cuccoo with an ancient arrow

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TFRazorsaw posted:

so what happens if you shoot a cuccoo with an ancient arrow

You die IRL

acksplode
May 17, 2004

grilldos posted:

Or we can continue to just enjoy the vague themes and imagery and sleep soundly at night.

Talking about them is a safe and fun way to enjoy them!

andipossess posted:

I assume that it's far enough into the future, and that the Triforce has been passed down through the royal bloodline long enough, that the family only knows about it as the "Sealing Power". I think they mention that Zelda's grandmother had the magic, and I think maybe her mother did, too, though that kind of confuses me as to how that bloodline is being passed down. It's also not really clear if the power Zelda was actually trying to awaken is at all related to the Hylia power from Skyward Sword.

On another note, I really hope Nintendo eventually clears up the "Triforce-wielding monarchy" bit of the timeline. It'd be interesting to know how that works, like how it's passed down and what-not.

I thought the game was pretty clear about Zelda's power. People repeatedly reference Zelda having the "blood of the Goddess Hylia", which is a clear reference to the bit of lore established by Skyward Sword. When Impa tells the tale of what went down 10,000 years ago, she includes that bit in the legend. Zelda's mom had the sealing power as well as her grandma. In fact her mom was supposed to begin training her at age 7, but she died before she could start. That bit is from the King's journal in his hidden office in the Hyrule Castle library.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 11, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Before the bloodline of Hylia thing, wasn't it just that the three aspects of the triforce were bestowed upon the person who most embodied it in Hyrule at that time? Link, as the hero, was courageous, Zelda was wise because whatever, and "in a cruel joke by the goddesses" Ganon(dorf) got power because he was the baddest dude.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
For Ocarina, yes. Different games that had the triforce dealt with it differently.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

acksplode posted:

Talking about them is a safe and fun way to enjoy them!

I thought the game was pretty clear about Zelda's power. People repeatedly reference Zelda having the "blood of the Goddess Hylia", which is a clear reference to the bit of lore established by Skyward Sword. When Impa tells the tale of what went down 10,000 years ago, she includes that bit in the legend. Zelda's mom had the sealing power as well as her grandma. In fact her mom was supposed to begin training her at age 7, but she died before she could start. That bit is from the King's journal in his hidden office in the Hyrule Castle library.

While this is true, the legends seem to have conflated Hylia blood with the Triforce. One of the earliest instances you can see this is on the tapestry, which shows the Triforce next to Zelda using her magic, which is what everybody considers the "sealing power". And it's not like Triforce imagery is a part of Hylia's powers. As far as I know it's entirely a three goddesses thing.

That still doesn't explain why Zelda's mom would have the sealing power, unless the royal family is into inbreeding. Her grandmother having the power could just be referring to her paternal grandmother.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Copper Vein posted:

It is kinda dumb that as soon as you get off the plateau, you can grab a pot lid and clear out every guardian around the castle with very little risk and no resources spent.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/03/23/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-using-a-pot-lid-to-destroy-guardians

Looks like pot lid timed block reflects energy projectiles.. Very cool little easter egg!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Randomosity posted:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/03/23/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-using-a-pot-lid-to-destroy-guardians

Looks like pot lid timed block reflects energy projectiles.. Very cool little easter egg!

All shields do not really an easter egg just a game mechanic.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Hello I just picked up this game and put 9 hours into it and boy is it as good as advertised. I've had fun clicking on random pages of this thread and seeing cool and fun things. Can't wait to play around more.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Copper Vein posted:

It is kinda dumb that as soon as you get off the plateau, you can grab a pot lid and clear out every guardian around the castle with very little risk and no resources spent.

I'm pretty sure that "instantly dying if you miss hitting a small window of timing 100% over and over again" does not count as "very little risk" by any definition of the phrase.

It is also very rad that if you're really good at it it's a thing you can do

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

andipossess posted:

That still doesn't explain why Zelda's mom would have the sealing power, unless the royal family is into inbreeding. Her grandmother having the power could just be referring to her paternal grandmother.

Any chance the crown could be matrilineal?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I loving love the way Hinoxes are designed. They're very 'big dumb giants in a kid's adventure story' in all the different ways you can interact with them. Such as:
  • They're always asleep when you find them, making it easy to sneak past them if you don't feel like fighting them.
  • If you make a noise that disturbs them, they'll do a little -lurch- motion and freeze for a second. If you freeze as well, they'll go right back to sleep.
  • If you do happen to wake one up, it's fairly easy to get behind them before they actually see you (as long as there is no health bar onscreen, they haven't actually spotted you yet).
  • If you stay behind them long enough without being seen, they eventually get tired of looking for you, figure you're gone, and go back to sleep.
  • You can steal stuff from their necklaces while they sleep. You can't climb their stomachs though, so you either need to paraglide onto them from above, or...
  • You know how they sleep with one hand splayed out, occasionally reaching up to scratch their bellies? And said hand is just big enough for Link to stand on? Well, there's a reason for that; you can totally catch a ride on that hand. If you position yourself right, you'll get plopped right onto the giant's belly without them even realizing it. There's a slight risk of falling off if you get the positioning wrong, but as long as you freeze right after you land, they won't wake up. Doing this makes it crazy easy to get stuff from a Hinox without engaging them. I got the ball, the club, and the bow from the Eventide Island Hinox using this method without even waking him up and legitimately felt like the Cool Smart Hero of a children's fable for a second.
This game is amazing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

andipossess posted:

That still doesn't explain why Zelda's mom would have the sealing power, unless the royal family is into inbreeding. Her grandmother having the power could just be referring to her paternal grandmother.[/spoiler]

Sono posted:

Any chance the crown could be matrilineal?

That, or the Hyrule kings just have a habit of marrying whatever the most recent reincarnation of the goddess is whenever they pop up outside of the royal line

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Spergatory posted:

So I loving love the way Hinoxes are designed. They're very 'big dumb giants in a kid's adventure story' in all the different ways you can interact with them. Such as:
  • They're always asleep when you find them, making it easy to sneak past them if you don't feel like fighting them.
  • If you make a noise that disturbs them, they'll do a little -lurch- motion and freeze for a second. If you freeze as well, they'll go right back to sleep.
  • If you do happen to wake one up, it's fairly easy to get behind them before they actually see you (as long as there is no health bar onscreen, they haven't actually spotted you yet).
  • If you stay behind them long enough without being seen, they eventually get tired of looking for you, figure you're gone, and go back to sleep.
  • You can steal stuff from their necklaces while they sleep. You can't climb their stomachs though, so you either need to paraglide onto them from above, or...
  • You know how they sleep with one hand splayed out, occasionally reaching up to scratch their bellies? And said hand is just big enough for Link to stand on? Well, there's a reason for that; you can totally catch a ride on that hand. If you position yourself right, you'll get plopped right onto the giant's belly without them even realizing it. There's a slight risk of falling off if you get the positioning wrong, but as long as you freeze right after you land, they won't wake up. Doing this makes it crazy easy to get stuff from a Hinox without engaging them. I got the ball, the club, and the bow from the Eventide Island Hinox using this method without even waking him up and legitimately felt like the Cool Smart Hero of a children's fable for a second.
This game is amazing.

holy poo poo

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yiga fort seemed easy to me. Just don't sprint or cross in front of them.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Spergatory posted:

This game is amazing.

Not to mention if you do have to fight them, they do precisely what a "giant" would do:
  • Try to stomp on you
  • Try to swat you
  • Pick things up to throw at you
  • Use a tree as a club
  • Sit on you
  • Are slow to react and relatively easy to outmaneuver
  • Have a giant (ha) weakspot
  • Act like giant babies if hit in said weakspot
  • Wise up after awhile if you keep going after said weakspot

I hadn't put the whole "giant from a children's fable" together but you're absolutely right and its awesome.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They also trigger my "giant things" anxiety by catching up to you pretty quickly. It's rad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pretty much the cyclops from the Odyssey.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Is anyone else playing this game "with" anyone? I really enjoy figuring out new things or finding something phenomenal and sharing it with other people playing the game. It helps that my SO is taking a ton of different time to push through the game, just like I am. Like I didn't even really know shield surfing existed until I had the majority of the game mapped. I now spend my time scouting out good surfing spots and marking them on my map :spergin:

The Lobster posted:

Bleh. I did everything fun and now I am left with only the unfun parts. Specifically Vah Nabooris. That has been my final Divine Beast for like two weeks because everything leading up to it is unfun, the beast itself is unfun, and the boss is unfun.

I am like 4 pages too late for this but, wow, we could not be more different on this. The Gerudo area was absolutely impeccable. Front-to-back one of the most comprehensive and engaging portions I've ever played in a game. I honestly don't think I would change anything about it other than making it larger and making me spend even more time before I was "done" with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cojawfee posted:

It's pretty much the cyclops from the Odyssey.

I'm surprised there isn't a Hinox anywhere with a flock of sheep.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

fennesz posted:

Is anyone else playing this game "with" anyone? I really enjoy figuring out new things or finding something phenomenal and sharing it with other people playing the game. It helps that my SO is taking a ton of different time to push through the game, just like I am. Like I didn't even really know shield surfing existed until I had the majority of the game mapped. I now spend my time scouting out good surfing spots and marking them on my map :spergin:

I am like 4 pages too late for this but, wow, we could not be more different on this. The Gerudo area was absolutely impeccable. Front-to-back one of the most comprehensive and engaging portions I've ever played in a game. I honestly don't think I would change anything about it other than making it larger and making me spend even more time before I was "done" with it.

I'm playing with goon Silver Falcon who I know is lurking this thread (well, right at this moment she is asleep, but she has been lurking it) and it has been amazing fun. It's been my first introduction to streaming with somebody and it's definitely something I would like to do more often, hopefully with Silver but definitely with somebody. I don't have the setup to stream myself but commentating has been a blast. The only problem has been, my ISP seems to think I am using too much bandwidth... :(

Anyway, even playing with someone who lives 500-600 miles away has rocked. It's like I've gotten to play the game twice. And I bet none of you have ever hosed Link up from over 500 miles away but I sure have. We have similar yet different enough play styles that some very different stuff has happened in our games. Probably my favorite thing was when Silver discovered you could use the cannons in Death Mountain to take out enemy camps. I hadn't thought to do that at all.

As far as the Gerudo thing goes, I liked the idea of it more than the execution. It was something I was happy to watch Silver do, but in my own game I just hated the idea of doing it myself. If I had any brothers or sisters I would have fobbed it off on them and stolen their Vah Ruta to do twice or something. (Edit: Or a spouse... :smith:) It's just personal preference. I wouldn't rate the game any lower for containing this section. It just makes me want to beat my head against a wall.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
i dunno why people are trying to get any other horse than the big horse

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Commenting and watching someone else play seems like itd be a load of fun

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Commenting and watching someone else play seems like itd be a load of fun

It definitely is, only problem is stream delay. I probably look like a derp on her archive.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That, or the Hyrule kings just have a habit of marrying whatever the most recent reincarnation of the goddess is whenever they pop up outside of the royal line

The goddess doesn't reincarnate as far as I recall. Her power is passed down via blood, hence Demise's curse toward the blood of the goddess and the soul of the hero. The implication is that the goddess's blood is passed through the royal family, kinda like the emperor of Japan.

The royal line could be matrilineal, but I feel like the games have always implied the King to be ruling when he exists, especially in this game where it's implied he handled the preparation for Ganon. This applies to Zelda 2's backstory, A Link to the Past, OoT, and a lot of the spin-off games. Then again, that's probably because the queen is always dead/otherwise absent by the time we start each game. Maybe the eldest child rules? But there's only been one time where we know Zelda has a sibling and he ended up ruling by default due to his sister's, uh, predicament.

Does the game ever explicitly tell us that the mother has powers? I know the King's diary says she would have taught Zelda, but that only implies she might have the power.

Edit:
Can we have, like, some Wars of the Roses style succession story in a Zelda game, please?

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 11, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wait, Rock Octorocks can turn Rusty weapons into good weapons?

That's neat.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wait, Rock Octorocks can turn Rusty weapons into good weapons?

That's neat.

Yeah. I had to do it for a Korok seed because I couldn't find a specific shield

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dizz posted:

Yeah. I had to do it for a Korok seed because I couldn't find a specific shield

Has anyone tried doing this with a weapon that is about to break?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't do what you're implying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes. It doesn't work with anything other than rusty weapons. Its also a great way to accidentally toss your mighty lynel sword into a pool of lava.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FooF posted:

Not to mention if you do have to fight them, they do precisely what a "giant" would do:
  • Try to stomp on you
  • Try to swat you
  • Pick things up to throw at you
  • Use a tree as a club
  • Sit on you
  • Are slow to react and relatively easy to outmaneuver
  • Have a giant (ha) weakspot
  • Act like giant babies if hit in said weakspot
  • Wise up after awhile if you keep going after said weakspot

I hadn't put the whole "giant from a children's fable" together but you're absolutely right and its awesome.

It's kinda amazing how great all the miniboss enemies in Breath of the Wild are. Talus are fun, especially since they are the only (?) climbable enemy in the game; Modulga are fun, and they have probably the best music track in the entire game (!); Hinox are just plain fun to mess around with; that, and the skeletal variant too, which might as well count as its own variety. Not to mention Stalker Guardians and Lynels, which are some really scary and complex enemies that change how you approach your environment. I would buy DLC that's nothing but more boss types on the same level replacing several existing minibosses on the world map.

Strange how the actual bosses are pretty lame in comparison. They look too similar, and you can't mess around with them nearly as much...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

andipossess posted:

It doesn't do what you're implying.

I suppose if it did, there would have been 6,000 youtube videos about it on March 4th.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes. It doesn't work with anything other than rusty weapons. Its also a great way to accidentally toss your mighty lynel sword into a pool of lava.

Gotta live on the edge.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Torquemadras posted:

Modulga are fun, and they have probably the best music track in the entire game (!)

You kids like kazoos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbR7wb7ezGg

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I suppose if it did, there would have been 6,000 youtube videos about it on March 4th.

Really the only time it's super useful is that one island shrine quest. Most rusty weapons are half the game away from the nearest convenient rocktorok.

Apropos of nothing, I am incredibly disappointed that Impa doesn't say anything new or interesting if you show up at her door with one of the divine beasts completed and the master sword strapped to your back.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Really the only time it's super useful is that one island shrine quest. Most rusty weapons are half the game away from the nearest convenient rocktorok.

Apropos of nothing, I am incredibly disappointed that Impa doesn't say anything new or interesting if you show up at her door with one of the divine beasts completed and the master sword strapped to your back.

My Impa disappointment is that in the memory where Zelda has some Sheikah cart your dedbod off to the Resurrection Shrine, it's just two random rear end mooks and not Impa and Purah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Asimo posted:

That works on every non-guardian, non-boss enemy too!

Even lynels.

I kind of suspect this is why lynels aren't treated as mini bosses like the Hinox and Talus are, in terms of the UI.