Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Netflix also has a lot of good quality programming. I'm going to binge it on Friday, because I will want to, but my excuse will be because it will make the day one numbers look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Thing is, I'm sure Netflix data is good enough that they can tell the difference between the people who just leave it on all day to juke the stats and the people who watch it in a manner more indicative of an actual person watching something.

I imagine things like pauses for bathroom breaks, occasional stops, rewinds to see scenes again are all metrics they use to figure out what people like and when people are actually binging vs. botting.

Point being, I guess, if you're going to watch it on netflix, really watch it on netflix. I probably will watch the ones I don't get to before friday on netflix, but turning on the ones I already watched seems like a waste of time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix has/had a thing where if you're watching a bunch of episodes in a row it will periodically between episodes pop up a timer and ask if you're still watching.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

ashpanash posted:

Thing is, I'm sure Netflix data is good enough that they can tell the difference between the people who just leave it on all day to juke the stats and the people who watch it in a manner more indicative of an actual person watching something.

I imagine things like pauses for bathroom breaks, occasional stops, rewinds to see scenes again are all metrics they use to figure out what people like and when people are actually binging vs. botting.

Point being, I guess, if you're going to watch it on netflix, really watch it on netflix. I probably will watch the ones I don't get to before friday on netflix, but turning on the ones I already watched seems like a waste of time.

Netflix self-pauses after 3-4 episodes of something if you haven't done so yourself to ask if you're still actually watching. You have to select "yes" to keep going.

edit: beaten

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm sure there's a greasemonkey script you can install to bypass that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Ape of Naples posted:

I didn't see the episode yet (too poor to back) but I'm wondering if the fact that the show can be binged played at all into how it was shot/directed (water the right term is). Maybe they figure people will get enough of the Mads over a few episodes? I dunno. Just spitballing.

It will make a little more sense once you see it, but it just felt like the scenes with the Mads were a bit shorter than they could have been, at least compared to some of the older episodes. It made it hard for me to get a really good feel for their characters.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Nemo2342 posted:

It will make a little more sense once you see it, but it just felt like the scenes with the Mads were a bit shorter than they could have been, at least compared to some of the older episodes. It made it hard for me to get a really good feel for their characters.

Eh, I mean, there are a lot of episodes in the old run where the sum total of time on-screen for the Mads was like a minute, maybe two.

There were also episodes where the Mads were involved in every host segment.

And some were an in-between.

I'm sure we're looking at the same thing here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was only one episode. Imagine judging the entire series on the Joey the Lemur sketch.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Simulwatch thread up, so join me there if you've got patience.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I kinda got a Pod People "He's the best" vibe out of the opening scene and I wonder if that was intentional.

They could confirm this by using the term "idiot control now," I suppose.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The scenes with the Mads were shorter because the intro was longer than normal and cut into the host segment time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pinwiz11 posted:

The scenes with the Mads were shorter because the intro was longer than normal and cut into the host segment time.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH LOGIC AND REASON

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Junkie Disease posted:

GET OUT OF HERE WITH LOGIC AND REASON

WILL I BE SENTENCED TO TORCHA?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Has anyone been able to watch the new episode on Xbox? I can't find the VHX app using Xbone's lovely interface, but this link claims it got added back in January.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Ballz posted:

Has anyone been able to watch the new episode on Xbox? I can't find the VHX app using Xbone's lovely interface, but this link claims it got added back in January.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it definitely is possible to watch it through the regular site on the edge browser.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

With the way the new episodes are being released, I'm really thinking about how savvy the whole kickstarter campaign was. It was maybe the first big-title project that set its timeline for how news spreads and then adapted to lulls that other projects faced. Like, it set the goal for the cost of a pilot and quickly got that money, then introduced the narrative of a season to fund, complete with its own funding graph and series of additional purchases and rewards for backers. I would imagine that if they just set the initial goal of a season, they wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention or enthusiasm, and maybe not as much money.

I'm conflicted because I hate capitalism and slickness in marketing, but it's better to have a show that understands the age of new media than one that just tries to recreate its past without noticing the world has changed.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Weird... Is this the first time they've done a movie and then it's sequel?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Oh my god. They did Starcrash

My life is complete.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
My work day is going to crawl. ughhhh

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Do the Gamera, Godzilla and Hercules movies not count?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Nah, the Gamera films

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also those repackaged tv episodes like Master Ninja and, uh, the space guys with Ken.

Also Bert I Gordon features about Glenn going from amazing colossal man to regular colossal beast.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

no

Fugitive Alien, Master Ninja

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, I should have clarified one right after the other in the same season.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I ended up ordering the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide out of nostalgia and hype. I really wish they'd release an update for that. They basically wrote entries for it with the Sci-Fi Channel's website and all that's left is entries for season seven.

Are the Sci-Fi Channel episode write-ups still available online anywhere?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gavok posted:

I ended up ordering the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide out of nostalgia and hype. I really wish they'd release an update for that. They basically wrote entries for it with the Sci-Fi Channel's website and all that's left is entries for season seven.

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/aceg/index.html

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

The Satellite News actually paid them to do season seven a few years after the show ended. http://www.mst3kinfo.com/guide/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gavok posted:

Also the fans who run MST3Kinfo paid the gang to do writeups for season 7, so aside from the new episodes, the entire series is covered.

Edit: still can get beaten on this dead website apparently

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I wish I had all my old Satellite News issues.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have seen all but one of the films in this season previously. I feel like TV's Frank now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Oh, I intend to, and when it scolds me by asking me if I'm still watching, I'm going to yell "Okay, Google, play on!!"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is there a full spoiler list of the episodes anywhere?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Corek posted:

Is there a full spoiler list of the episodes anywhere?

https://mst3k.vhx.tv/products/experiment085 has the movie titles and episode descriptions, complete with guest stars' names.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Here you go:

Reptilicus
Cry Wilderness
The Time Travelers
Avalanche
The Beast of Hollow Mountain
Starcrash
The Land That Time Forgot
The Loves of Hercules
Yongary: Monster From the Deep
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II
Carnival Magic
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't
At the Earth's Core

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do these drop at midnight on the 14th(right?) on Netflix?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

The Ape of Naples posted:

Do these drop at midnight on the 14th(right?) on Netflix?

12:01 AM PT, yeah.

So I'm a couple episodes in now. About the opening:

When the opening ended up being the same as the pilot, I was a little put off...until the joke that Kinga's liquid video tech can't record anything worth a drat so she forces Jonah to re-enact the opening bit for every episode by pulling him out of the opening host segment and putting him back on his ship to re-run it (not *all* of it, just from the spot where the song starts). I appreciated that. And while I would still prefer to have a full, uninterrupted theme over show clips, I'm guessing a theoretical season 12 would do that...and it's a good joke.

Also, the Mads:

We get much more of them starting in episode 2. Host segments are still a little on the the short side, but the Mads aren't being neglected. I have to say that Patton Oswalt is really stealing the show as TV's Son of TV's Frank/Max in the Mads segments. Felicia is holder her own, but Patton is really nailing it. The chemistry between them is good as well.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ComposerGuy posted:

12:01 AM PT, yeah.

So I'm a couple episodes in now. About the opening:

When the opening ended up being the same as the pilot, I was a little put off...until the joke that Kinga's liquid video tech can't record anything worth a drat so she forces Jonah to re-enact the opening bit for every episode by pulling him out of the opening host segment and putting him back on his ship to re-run it (not *all* of it, just from the spot where the song starts). I appreciated that. And while I would still prefer to have a full, uninterrupted theme over show clips, I'm guessing a theoretical season 12 would do that...and it's a good joke.

Which episode is that explained in? I'm only in the third one (counting the pilot and I was a little confused by that).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He talks about it literally right after it happens in episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Which episode is that explained in? I'm only in the third one (counting the pilot and I was a little confused by that).

It's in the second episode, "Cry Wilderness". Jonah says it as a throw-away line right after the theme ends and he's back on the SoL:

Tom: What was that?
Jonah: It was the show open. Kinga's liquid technology is worthless for recording so I have to act it out every time or else I get poked with a cattle prod.