Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

You can just choose to not do the strategy thingie

Not once you're at the point where you choose who is going to do what. Unless I hosed up, pretty possible. Either way, it's bad.

Dragonatrix posted:

Uh, he's still targettable like before. You don't have to do anything.

Really, by the time the second cycle comes up you can just ignore Bael too and focus on, and almost certainly beat, the tank since beating that ends the fight. It's real boringly simple. The most straightforward boss fight of the bunch so far, really.

Yeah, but hindsight 20/20 and all that, I'll definitely not bother with any of it on a second play

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda think half the reason I keep getting tired of these dungeons is because I insist on doing them in one day.

Possibly/Probably. I'm doing them all in a single day too and they've been feeling overly long to the point of light frustration which might be alleviated by leaving it for a bit and coming back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So what exactly changes on Hard mode? I know enemies have more HP and do more damage--is that all that changes? Do you get less EXP, or is that just on the DLC challenge mode?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda think half the reason I keep getting tired of these dungeons is because I insist on doing them in one day.

I really enjoy doing them in one day, myself, but I could see it being a pain if they're long and not very interesting. The first dungeon was both long and had a good amount of variety, so doing it in one day felt like a pretty satisfying challenge. The second one was short enough that doing it in one day seemed like the only way I was ever going to do it--or, rather, it was broken up into small chunks that I had to do on separate days so doing each in one day was simple.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I wish I took a break when I got to the final area in the 3rd palace, but man that would have meant wasting a day and night that could be used for Confidant stuff.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just finished chapter 2 and I'm into June. The days after you finish a Palace and get to do whatever you want are the best part of the game. Then there's the setup for the next Palace and control gets taken away for a week or so and I come to loathe the sight of Morgana's face.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh, Rivers in the Desert is that song. Definitely my favorite track in the game along with the heist theme.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

So what exactly changes on Hard mode? I know enemies have more HP and do more damage--is that all that changes? Do you get less EXP, or is that just on the DLC challenge mode?

From GameFAQs:

Safe - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0 - can't switch difficulty if this selected any time
Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless (DLC) - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He gets in his ball pig and then climbs on it and then you knock him off the ball pig with regular attacks and then he gets back in the ball pig and then gets back on the ball pig and instead of being able to knock him off with attacks for some reason, you have to give him an item and I think he got lucky and shocked all but Ann for me and all she would offer him was a real decent SP recovery item instead of something poo poo so I had to give him that and it was real fuckin dumb

I actually found it to be useful because He'll sit in the pig for a couple turns all giddy over the item you throw (I gave him a bead. So something I don't care about once someone gets Diarahan) and it just let me wail on the pig without having to have characters break for healing. I am playing on Hard, though.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Only just got rank 1 with the teacher s.link and it already seems like one of the most useful ones in the game, if not the most useful. Being able to make lockpicks in class is amazing, especially since I'd rather spend the evenings with shogi girl or at the bathhouse. Evenings seem really contested but daytime feels less contested than P4. Maybe it's because there are no clubs at school. Also, what s.links give you items to put on your shelf/in your room? So far I've gotten the chocolate fountain and Rise poster from Ann.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I turned the difficulty down to Easy after dying for the 2nd time to a mob because I'm tired of losing progress. No regrets considering that I need to clear Mementos too after the palace. I thought the BGM for the Mementos was OK but now I hear it in my nightmares over and over at last P3:FES gave me the option to switch soundtracks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

From GameFAQs:

Safe - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0 - can't switch difficulty if this selected any time
Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Merciless (DLC) - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

Okay, not so bad. I'd be fine with Hard mode so long as it isn't more grindy. Gonna give it a try tonight maybe, I've been finding enemies too easy for my liking for an SMT-spinoff game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

From GameFAQs:

Merciless is meant for NG+, for the record. I don't think it stops you from using it on your first run, but I really don't recommend it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

One thing I've noticed with hard is how badly it feels like minibosses scale. They're usually more of a bitch than the actual bosses; I'm at the end of the fourth dungeon and pretty much every miniboss has been a huge luck/trial and error thing trying to figure out what effects work since there are rarely literal weaknesses. There have been a couple instances of the MC just getting one shot right at the start and having to retry a handful of times until the rng lines up. I remember that kind of being a thing with 3 and 4, but 5 feels particularly brutal.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Going back a few pages, but the fusions for Strength aren't that bad in this game. You don't have to meticulously plan out a fusion chain, just make the dude the twins want and then sacrifice some scrub that has the ability you need. You might need to reload a few times since the inherited ability is random, but a few minutes of that is better than half an hour with spreadsheets.

This and the removal of triangle fusions has made all the strength requests trivial for me so far, although I'm not completely done yet.

Triangle fusions were a great way to blend in low level slink guys going into a dungwon, but on the whole I'm glad to see them gone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

One thing I've noticed with hard is how badly it feels like minibosses scale. They're usually more of a bitch than the actual bosses; I'm at the end of the fourth dungeon and pretty much every miniboss has been a huge luck/trial and error thing trying to figure out what effects work since there are rarely literal weaknesses. There have been a couple instances of the MC just getting one shot right at the start and having to retry a handful of times until the rng lines up. I remember that kind of being a thing with 3 and 4, but 5 feels particularly brutal.

So far it seems like the main bosses have gimmicks or sort of built-in tactics that make them more manageable, while mini-bosses are a bit more brute force, so that makes sense. Even on Normal I've felt like the mini-bosses have been more of a threat than the main bosses, especially in the first Palace.

Part of it is that I'm generally ready for a challenge when I play an SMT game or a spin-off, so if switching to Hard is going to provide a tough-but-satisfying challenge where Normal might not for an SMT/Persona veteran, I should probably bump it up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lakbay posted:

From GameFAQs:

So easy just halves damage received and has no other changes? That's weird.

Do we know what transfers over to NG+ yet? Your stats and presumably your compendium transfer, but what about money, items, levels, etc.? I can't wait to bust my balls doing Merciless while also trying to 100% the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

FractalSandwich posted:

Merciless is meant for NG+, for the record. I don't think it stops you from using it on your first run, but I really don't recommend it.

Eh, I'm using it for my first run and even with the EXP deficiency it's not too bad. Even that doesn't matter all that much in practice; I've managed to maintain pretty consistently around the APL (either just below or exactly equal to) for any given Palace without actively grinding for it at least. The most threatening fight on paper so far has been the first miniboss of Palace 4... because it just randomly had Dynes and Ma-dynes which no one before or since has had?? Turns out that was a fight I couldn't lose if I wanted to though. :v:

Honestly, aside from, like, the Archangel in the first Palace there's nothing that's much of a real threat at all. Even that was because I was an obstinate rear end and refused to leave until I was done (so I had like zero SP across the board and barely any healing items left going into it). Then he ended up having a simple pattern and crumpled pretty quickly like nothin', so...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Shortest Path posted:

So easy just halves damage received and has no other changes? That's weird.

I said it before but Easy felt pretty close to p3/p4 on their normal difficulties

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Do we know what transfers over to NG+ yet? Your stats and presumably your compendium transfer, but what about money, items, levels, etc.? I can't wait to bust my balls doing Merciless while also trying to 100% the game.

If it's like previous Persona NG+ modes, your compendium, social stats, and money transfer (maybe inventory, too? I don't remember), but not character levels. It also lifts the level restriction on using or fusing high-level Personas in 3 and 4, so you could roll with a level 80 Persona at character level 1 and just destroy everything.

Lakbay posted:

I said it before but Easy felt pretty close to p3/p4 on their normal difficulties

Whoa, really? Because I'm having a pretty easy time on Normal. Do I remember 3 and 4 being harder than they were?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes cause I'm pretty sure the MC was not in danger of getting one shot by non-minibosses/bosses in p3 or p4, at least when I played

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yo guys there's a reason they give you XX days to complete dungeons - you're supposed to do them in bits. Put your inner perfectionist in check and pace yourselves.

Not telling you how to play but I keep reading posts like "getting sick of long rear end dungeons I feel compelled to complete in one day". They're not actually long, they have a bunch of handy checkpoints generously scattered throughout and you can leave and go back any time you want. The game begs to be played this way. I'm only taking one more trip to the dungeons than you guys and that's enough to get me to look forward to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Yes cause I'm pretty sure the MC was not in danger of getting one shot by non-minibosses/bosses in p3 or p4, at least when I played

It could definitely happen if you got hit with a weakness. Well, maybe not one-shot (unless you were foolish enough to go into a mini-boss fight with a weakness to Hama/Mudo and they used one of those) but one-turn-killed. I'll admit I don't remember it ever happening, but it seemed possible. I'd seen party members get owned that quickly.

Deified Data posted:

Yo guys there's a reason they give you XX days to complete dungeons - you're supposed to do them in bits. Put your inner perfectionist in check and pace yourselves.

Not telling you how to play but I keep reading posts like "getting sick of long rear end dungeons I feel compelled to complete in one day". They're not actually long, they have a bunch of handy checkpoints generously scattered throughout and you can leave and go back any time you want. The game begs to be played this way. I'm only taking one more trip to the dungeons than you guys and that's enough to get me to look forward to it.

In fact, the second dungeon forces you to do it in at least two days (not counting the final Treasure run, of course). And given that they made a big deal out of "some dungeons require you to do something in the real world to progress" I'm guessing the second Palace isn't the only one to do that.

That said, I feel like I'm a rarity here in that I really enjoy the dungeon crawling and I like tackling the dungeons in the minimum number of days. The first Palace was hard to do that with because I didn't have the resources for SP conservation that I do now, but I still did it and ultimately enjoyed doing so. I wish the dungeons were longer, because if more of them are as short (or forcefully broken up into shorter chunks) like the second Palace I'm going to be kinda bummed.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 11, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If I can do it in one day, I will. Especially because it usually eats up a minimum of three days to beat a dungeon. (Sending your card and then sitting around before you can go take the thing.)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'm on palace 4 and the only one that felt long to me was the 1st, and I'm going to bet that is more due to me not executing mechanics properly (hitting too many weaknesses over killing all but 1 and just knocking them down, for example).

Dungeon length otherwise has been fine. If anything, palace 2 felt too short, break or no. This is on normal with one SP patch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The deadline for Palace 4 is like a month. Honestly it's ridiculous. Even taking my time with it and beating it over 4 days (including sending the card and beating the boss) I got SO MANY confidants and my social skills up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of unquantifiable factors like frustration from doing it all in one day, there's no especially strong reason to not one day the dungeons because missing evenings and afternoons is punishing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you don't give a poo poo about the books you have something like an entire month spare time to work with and still get all stats maxed and all slinks max.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Outside of unquantifiable factors like frustration from doing it all in one day, there's no especially strong reason to not one day the dungeons because missing evenings and afternoons is punishing.

I mean that's the one factor I'm talking about. If you enjoy one-shotting the dungeons then by all means, but if you don't you shouldn't force yourself to. The game loses some of its charm when you try to ruthlessly 100% everything, but maybe that's just me projecting.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 11, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SettingSun posted:

The deadline for Palace 4 is like a month. Honestly it's ridiculous. Even taking my time with it and beating it over 4 days (including sending the card and beating the boss) I got SO MANY confidants and my social skills up.
The buildup to the deadline is really silly too. "Welp, we have no choice but to wait for this girl to wake up from her several-week-long-nap to deal with these Anonymous rip-offs, it's too late to find an alternative even though we have three weeks." It's the biggest black mark on what is a really good dungeon.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh hey the internet finally spoiled me on the ~big twist~ of the game by accident. I'm surprised it took this long, for persona 4 I knew the twists and the Big Bad Evil Guy weeks before the game came out in the US

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Whata the name of the track that plays in palaces after you send the calling card and are on the way to steal the treasure?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Whata the name of the track that plays in palaces after you send the calling card and are on the way to steal the treasure?

Day of Decisive Action

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i never pick the correct answers in negociations :negative:

serious, vague, playful answers are all the same grrrr

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jimmy Hats posted:

From what I gathered pre-release it's called Strategy: Day of Decisive Action, but here it is under a different name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQZ1zmxyDk

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

SettingSun posted:

Ohhh I'm looking forward to this.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

From what I gathered pre-release it's called Strategy: Day of Decisive Action: but here it is under a different name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQZ1zmxyDk

Thanks!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Terper posted:

Throw an expensive item away so he gets distracted and doesn't do his big attack

It's kinda useless :shrug:

One of my party members offered to chuck a Soma on the floor

NO THANKS BUDDY

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Life Will Change -instrumental version-" is the name it's given on the OST. I dunno where that other one comes from.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FractalSandwich posted:

"Life Will Change -instrumental version-" is the name it's given on the OST. I dunno where that other one comes from.

Yeah idk either but I've seen it in multiple places

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I let them chuck a Bead on the floor for Palace 3 and it was totally worth it just because it was pretty cute seeing him scramble for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got my Big Bad Lucifer, time to finish the game.