Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Put sealer on the mini. Then use a wash. Bam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
That pig in the Ret jack puts me to shame. Great job.

Finally got some work in today after completely reorganizing my apartment. He's allllllllllmost there.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just looking at 40k stuff, then I found this:

:chord:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
An actual weedlord

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just found this site and it kinda owns

http://www.colourpod.com/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

I'm looking to get into airbrushing. How "messy" is it? Do I need to be in a well-ventilated room? I paint at a desk in the corner of our living room, with kids around. Will the the paint mist up like an aerosol spray, staining the walls around my paining area and posing a health hazard?

If you've used a rattlecan, it's about that messy. You can control it a little better, but you can still get overspray, especially if you're not careful about where you place your model when you're spraying. I find that I'll sometimes lift the model higher than the extractor can reasonable pull air. A booth will help, but you'll still need to vent the filtered air, preferably out a window.

Airbrush stations are very much in the realm of kind of needing a dedicated area free of kids, pets, and things you don't want accidentally sprayed.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pierzak posted:

[citation needed]

"its good"

~me, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

berzerkmonkey posted:

Airbrush stations are very much in the realm of kind of needing a dedicated area free of kids, pets, and things you don't want accidentally sprayed.

alternatively, hose the cat down for a fresh new look

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My cat knows not to stray too close to the airbrush station. She'll hang out near the area but it's probably some combo of the compressor and airbrush's wooshing sounds that keeps her away. I disagree about the messiness compared to a rattle can. When I first used mine, I couldn't believe how small the mist was. There's a couple times when the mist starts to billow out like a can but that's only when you pull the trigger all the way back so usually only when you're flushing out paint for a color change.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

alternatively, hose the cat down for a fresh new look
Spray or neuter your pets

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

My cat knows not to stray too close to the airbrush station. She'll hang out near the area but it's probably some combo of the compressor and airbrush's wooshing sounds that keeps her away. I disagree about the messiness compared to a rattle can. When I first used mine, I couldn't believe how small the mist was. There's a couple times when the mist starts to billow out like a can but that's only when you pull the trigger all the way back so usually only when you're flushing out paint for a color change.

I was just saying that the potential exists, especially if you're an airbrush newbie and are trying to spray at 60psi.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The actual spray is much neater with an airbrush. There's more clean-up involved with the brush itself. It's fairly manageable once you know what you're doing, though, and have stuff laid out ahead of time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my Panzer IV. My first time trying to paint chipping. I didn't really know when to quit - I'll try to make it a lot more subtle next time. I'm reasonably happy with it. There's a lot of room for improvement, obviously, but that is half the fun.

Also I just realized that I forgot to paint the hull MG. :downs:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've started working on the canoness veridyan model, I've been trying to stay true to the Blanchesque colours and style which is quite new to me.

What do you think?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That's a good-lookin' Pz IV!

And that Cannoness is hot!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I have a question about transfers and shoulder pauldrons: I know that with some transfers you can make incisions that make them sit better on a shoulder pauldron - like with the Ultramarines I've heard you can make a vertical cut into the empty space inside the Chapter symbol.

I've got a set of 30K Iron Warriors transfers and the Legion insignias are all vertical rectangles, which don't sit 100% well on rounded pauldrons. Is there a way to cut these to fit better?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Been about a month since I last posted and have a few new (bad to semi-bad!) things to show. First, Phase Spider done up as a celestial beast:

I could be done with this, but I feel it needs a black wash, I am just afraid washing it will completely destroy anything good about it and just result in me fully repainting it.

WIP pirate:

Probably the worst of the three, but still has a ways to go before finished anyways. Like how the chest came out vs not painting the metal details. Suggestions?

WIP Hellhounds (DnD Phase Dog minis)

I like how these are coming along, even with the poop brown color. That color is due to an orange wash that will get painted over with dark brown anyway. I am shocked I didn't get paint on that transparent back piece, lets see if I can get through the whole paint without loving it up. To finish that, I just paint one side of it orange, right?

Also, are the minis I am using smaller than many of the minis posted here? Sometimes I feel like other people are painting tangerines and I am painting a kumquat :[

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

I have a question about transfers and shoulder pauldrons: I know that with some transfers you can make incisions that make them sit better on a shoulder pauldron - like with the Ultramarines I've heard you can make a vertical cut into the empty space inside the Chapter symbol.

I've got a set of 30K Iron Warriors transfers and the Legion insignias are all vertical rectangles, which don't sit 100% well on rounded pauldrons. Is there a way to cut these to fit better?

I've found that, for weirdly-shaped transfers that don't sit well, that the best way to cut them is to find the spot that they're raising up on and gently cut there. You'll probably have to reapply whatever transfer fluid you're using to help them set back on (I personally use white vinegar), and there's a chance you'll have to paint over a little bit of it, but that's how it's worked for me.

You could always go for the nuclear option and use Solvaset, but only the craziest fuckers use that poo poo.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I painted another thing!

This is Vivian, the Barbarian Thief;

He seems disgruntled about something...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

darkwolf220 posted:

I could be done with this, but I feel it needs a black wash, I am just afraid washing it will completely destroy anything good about it and just result in me fully repainting it.

So long as you apply the wash carefully, you should only need to fix the areas near the recesses. You may need to re-touch those areas, but it will help the details pop.

darkwolf220 posted:

WIP pirate:

Probably the worst of the three, but still has a ways to go before finished anyways. Like how the chest came out vs not painting the metal details. Suggestions?

It's a bit tough to see in your picture. I'm a big fan of black washes on steel and brown washes for gold or bronze. Again, you'll need to redo the highlights, but it'll help bring the details out nicely.

darkwolf220 posted:

Also, are the minis I am using smaller than many of the minis posted here? Sometimes I feel like other people are painting tangerines and I am painting a kumquat :[

Some of them are bigger, but mostly they're the same size as yours. The rest of us have just been doing this longer. My early stuff looked like absolute garbage, and I couldn't do small details to save my life. Brush control, eye for detail, and care comes with time. I'm still not a very good painter, but I'm getting better.

Irate Tree posted:

I painted another thing!

Looks good! I'd say on your next mini, see if you can go a bit further on your shadows and highlights. The more you can push the contrast, the better the mini will look when you finish.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Irate Tree posted:

I painted another thing!

I feel like your frostgrave guys should be in a sitcom. I love them!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, i probably should put another layer of washes and highlights on them but honestly, i'm not trying to pull out the stops on these guys. I'm just going three layers of colour with a single wash =)

I also intend to give them all back stories and maybe even last names! They're all probably going to die on the first run and I probably won't bother putting that much effort into the stories of their replacements but they'll still be the first that my wizard hired to enter that dead, frozen place.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finally finished basing Sorscha!

Know for the future: When using snow flock, paint the base white first, then use flock. I first had it all painted and drybrushed brown for the dirt, but the flocking was transparent enough that it looked muddy in all the wrong ways. Had to stop, paint it, then reflock. Still looked kind of crap, so I added some vegetation. I think it turned out okay in the end.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

I've found that, for weirdly-shaped transfers that don't sit well, that the best way to cut them is to find the spot that they're raising up on and gently cut there. You'll probably have to reapply whatever transfer fluid you're using to help them set back on (I personally use white vinegar), and there's a chance you'll have to paint over a little bit of it, but that's how it's worked for me.

You could always go for the nuclear option and use Solvaset, but only the craziest fuckers use that poo poo.

This is working like a god drat charm. I forgot all about vinegar being used as transfer fluid, so double thanks on that.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
More skeletons for the skeleton god.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If it helps anyone else, after some experimentation the answer to the question of the rectangular transfer appears to be "small cuts in each cardinal direction of the transfer." I feel kind of dense for not figuring that out earlier, but whatever.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horace-Noah posted:

More skeletons for the skeleton god.

The skelly in the back right really catches my eye :v:

Seriously though, those skellies are amazing. I got a slew of the old VC skellies and zombies from a friend recently that I'm going to rebase on rounds for Frostgrave. I just hope i don't end up breaking too many =S

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 12, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Age of Sigmar Painting Post!

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

dexefiend posted:

Duuuuuuude, this is looking killer!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dexefiend posted:

Goddang that's a good looking beetle.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Irate Tree posted:

I painted another thing!

Is he disgruntled because he's secretly a woman? Vivian is a female name round these parts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Frobbe posted:

Is he disgruntled because he's secretly a woman? Vivian is a female name round these parts.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

Does anyone know a source for not-Doctor Who models? A lot of the old reliables have gone poof. I really want a 9th Doctor chronomancer for Frostgrave

Heresy used to make a decent set of modern Doctors (including 9)

pictured here - https://craftyjack.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/doctor-who-miniatures/

Can't seem to find it on the site now though. Maybe they had to stop?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Heresy and Crooked Dice were asked to stop producing their non-Doctor minis when Warlord Games picked up the license for the game.

Black Tree have a selection of older Doctors if it's any help - https://eoeorbisuk.com/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So as my current project, a Blood Raven Contemptor Dreadnought, is almost finished I realize I can't really leave the base unfinished. Unlike the smaller ones that I'm not too bothered by a black baseplate the 60mm one is a bit too big and noticeable to let that go by.
But the problem is I still haven't nailed down exactly what kind of base theme I want to get running for all my guys. This including my slowly growing Blood Raven force as well as my previous IG units.
Does anyone have any suggestions for bases that look uniformly good with these:

Warhammer TV did have a nice Wasteland base guide they released yesterday but not sure if that brown works well with the red marines and the black/green Guardsmen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd say the brown wasteland style would be perfect, actually.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm finally getting back into painting mini's. I haven't done so for nearly 20 years now. What's the biggest piece of advice you guys would give someone returning to this incredibly fun and frustrating hobby?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm finally getting back into painting mini's. I haven't done so for nearly 20 years now. What's the biggest piece of advice you guys would give someone returning to this incredibly fun and frustrating hobby?
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Just realize that you're out of practice, and your first few attempts are going to be an exercise in frustration. Not only will they not look like Golden Daemon/Crystal Brush winners, they probably won't be as good as the stuff you painted 20 years ago. Keep that in mind, and you should be alright.

Also:

Don't buy 200+ bottle paint sets. Buy a small starter set or a few colors to begin with.
Use different brands of paint. Determine which one you like the best. You may wind up using paints from different lines. Don't be afraid to branch out from a specific manufacturer.
Buy good brushes and maintain them.
Airbrushes are good and save time. Don't be afraid to buy a starter combo set and learn how to use it.
If you see a technique you like, don't be afraid to ask the painter how he did it.
YouTube has a lot of good painters showing their techniques.
Don't try to paint the entire army of "x" you've had on your shelf for 20 years at one time. Paint in small batches and break it up with something different once in a while.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NeurosisHead posted:

berzerkermonkey has great advice, I've just gotta echo that you should start small. Get like one box of models and a starter paint set and get going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Thanks guys! I'm going to find a box of some kind of skeletons to play with at first, since white colors and bones make for great opportunities to remember how washes work. I grabbed the starter fantasy color set from Vallejo too. Looking forward to remembering how this poo poo all works!