Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Take the nozzle thing off and pour it in, and use a little mixer spoon thing to scoop out what I can. What remains is simply lost. I just pour it right in from pot to dropper. I've tried using a tiny funnel but it's honestly just not worth my time to save a miniscule amount of paint when there's going to be loss on the funnel itself anyway. Just be careful and pour kinda slowly.

You can add a bit of airbrush thinner in there to try to get the extra left on the walls of the original pot. You're going to wind up thinning your paints anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Horace-Noah posted:

Most base coats for my Tomb King down. Feeling pretty alright about it. My favourite part I've done is oddly the scarabs. Pretty stoked to make some progress and to just bite the bullet on painting one of my characters.

Oh came up with a name too, "Ahomtep the Dauntless"

Working on a background for him and my tomb in the endless deserts setting.

Cross post! Mengel Minis is running a contest to win a printed copy of the unofficial tomb kings battle tomb he helped make, along with cards, and I'm going to enter it. Need to paint up two units and an HQ.

Fingers crossed I get this done!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Mango Polo sprayed a load of spoons with them to show off the colours.

The post mentioned is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=202&perpage=40#post460325966

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the help and reference pics. I've always wanted to do easy candy-coated armor.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Holy poo poo.

More photos.

Horace-Noah posted:

Mengel Minis
I love his tomb king chariot conversion. I'm totally stealing his idea for replacing the horses with customized sabre tusks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Holy poo poo.

More photos.

I love his tomb king chariot conversion. I'm totally stealing his idea for replacing the horses with customized sabre tusks.

I saw this guy at Adepticon, that model was incredible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I saw this guy at Adepticon, that model was incredible.

I didn't bother with the Crystal Brush this year since I felt like poo poo. Now I'm sorry I missed it. The crazy thing is that this took second place...

Also, I sent you an email yesterday - did you get it, or do I have the wrong address for you?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chill la Chill posted:

Sweet. Do they mix well? I might want to make metallic purples and greens.

Depending on how metallic you want it, Vallejo also makes a metallic medium that mixes well with their other paints.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

me when i look at my painting queue:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just have your painting queue stored in KR cases enclosed within a closet.

This afternoon, I am going to try and finish my Guild Ball Engineers, and work on the beetle.

Always be painting!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I keep everything in my closet (the wall of shame) except my current project which I keep on my desk to constantly remind me to get that poo poo done! :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

I didn't bother with the Crystal Brush this year since I felt like poo poo. Now I'm sorry I missed it. The crazy thing is that this took second place...

Also, I sent you an email yesterday - did you get it, or do I have the wrong address for you?

Naw you got it right, I've just been trying to figure out the name of the C- hotel we stayed at before replying.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

me when i look at my painting queue:

I just did some spring cleaning and man can I empathize with this, haha.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Of loving course first place was a space marine. Ugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Working on another cultist. Sorry again for blurry lovely old iphone camera

Its still far from perfect, the skin in particular looks patchy, but I really feel like I'm improving on my work on cloaks and tabards massively.

I actually got some edge highlighting in!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

that mixes well with their other paints.
[citation needed]
I wouldn't recommend Vallejo's metallic medium, it's got too coarse pigment that'll look like colored paint with glitter mixed in.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I'm finally preparing to paint my Mantic Dwarfs! I took an extra model and did a quick mock-up of my planned color scheme. I'm not 100% convinced on the blue, but I worry that a darker/richer blue would fight with the bronze armor.

Sorry for the lovely phone pics...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

HerrBrau posted:

I'm finally preparing to paint my Mantic Dwarfs! I took an extra model and did a quick mock-up of my planned color scheme. I'm not 100% convinced on the blue, but I worry that a darker/richer blue would fight with the bronze armor.

Sorry for the lovely phone pics...

I'd consider doing a blue glaze to help tone the blue down a bit. Right now it looks kind of chalky.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Does anyone know a source for not-Doctor Who models? A lot of the old reliables have gone poof. I really want a 9th Doctor chronomancer for Frostgrave

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

Does anyone know a source for not-Doctor Who models? A lot of the old reliables have gone poof. I really want a 9th Doctor chronomancer for Frostgrave

Heresy Miniatures used to have a whole range of not-DW stuff but it looks like they stopped selling them. Bummer. Maybe if you emailed the guy he'd be willing to spin up the one they had for the 9th Doctor but I wouldn't bank on it.

The closest thing I've come to anything Doctor Who-related that looks in any way good is this one from Reaper. It's not the 9th but it looks good enough IMO.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Beerdeer posted:

Warlord games do the twelfth and tenth doctors (and companions) and some monsters - but they're not not-doctor who models, just regular doctor who models. I think they're working on nine and eleven, but who knows how long that'll take.

Also looks like they're slightly bigger than regular 28mm.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 8, 2017

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

dexefiend posted:

This is what i have been painting over the last 2 nights!

What model is this?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

What model is this?

It's from the Age of Sigmar Alarielle the Everqueen kit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

I don't think that would've fixed it, honestly. The matte dried thick in places, and after ~5 hours didn't thin down or dry properly.

Ultimately I ended up stripping the paint off. The original glossed layer of brown paint I had down survived for the most part, so it didn't set me back THAT much. I'm putting the blame on the matte itself; it was nearly empty and I'm thinking some of it settled down there and got all funky, for lack of a better term.

So in my continued issues with this piece of poo poo model, I had it frost up on me using gloss varnish. Not like when matte gets frosty either, this was altogether more strange because it went away for a bit when I hit it with matte varnish, only to return an hour later.

I think the issue is the hair spray I'm using for the paint chipping. There might be a weird chemical reaction going on, though I've used it on other models in the past and not had any issues. If this poo poo doesn't clear up in the morning I'm going to chuck the whole model because I seriously don't want to redo this model for a third time.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Need to do a fair bit of clean up, but I'm very pleased with how things are coming together.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

Of loving course first place was a space marine. Ugh.

You aren't the first to think that. THere was this gorgeous King Tiger.... blarg.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Just pointing out that the Bones phone box exists, as well as some weeping angels.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

I just ordered a couple of models from https://eoeorbis.com/. Doesn't look like they have the 9th Doctor, but they have almost everything else.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Horace-Noah posted:

Need to do a fair bit of clean up, but I'm very pleased with how things are coming together.

The pink/blue scheme on the cloth is 80's rad dude. Looks pretty good all around.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

The pink/blue scheme on the cloth is 80's rad dude. Looks pretty good all around.

Thanks man! That's exactly what I was going for. Working on some fluff to say the tomb is by a sea, so I thought rad 80s surf and skate colours were appropriate.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Trying to finish this guy up, but not sure which direction to go for the glowy tubes and chemical tanks. I can decide between magenta, like the eye glow, or if I go with the teal I used from Dr. Arkadius from a few pages ago.

I want to go teal to be more contrast-y with the skin, but I want it to be magenta to contrast with the ret armor lining. I could do neither of those colors, but don't want my piggie to be a raindow.

What do you guys think?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished painting Sorscha. Still need to base her.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just going to share my WIP for one of my barbarians I'm painting for Frostgrave.

This is Bob, the Barbarian Thug;

Bob has seen some poo poo.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking to get into airbrushing. How "messy" is it? Do I need to be in a well-ventilated room? I paint at a desk in the corner of our living room, with kids around. Will the the paint mist up like an aerosol spray, staining the walls around my paining area and posing a health hazard?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

I'm looking to get into airbrushing. How "messy" is it? Do I need to be in a well-ventilated room? I paint at a desk in the corner of our living room, with kids around. Will the the paint mist up like an aerosol spray, staining the walls around my paining area and posing a health hazard?

Yes. Anything aersolised is bad for you (and the kids). Get an extractor booth and a filter mask and if you can do it in a different room entirely. If you're spraying anything beyond non toxic acrylics these things are just a starting point.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Yes. Anything aersolised is bad for you (and the kids). Get an extractor booth and a filter mask and if you can do it in a different room entirely. If you're spraying anything beyond non toxic acrylics these things are just a starting point.

Alright, thanks. That's a bit of a bummer.

In other news, WIP of my Panzer IV:

Trying my hand at some weathering techniques. Since my group plays late-war pretty exclusively, I wanted it to look like it's seen some poo poo. Starting to look pretty good already.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be honest if you get a good booth (with fan and filter, not just a box) and wear a mask airbrushing acrylic isn't bad at all.

Just don't let your kids look over your shoulder or whatever when you're using it (unless they too have a mask)

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I recently rediscovered Battletech and finally have money to do hobby stuff, so here we go. First model I've ever painted out of the Battletech Intoductory Box.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Went with magenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've got the bones water elemental. I'd like to keep the translucency of it for the most part, but want to darken up the recesses.

Is there anything I can mix with some paints to thin them out but still have them stick to bones?