Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I dont like max because of the way he looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lmbo another Max Verstappen slap fight

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Max Verstappen is incredibly talented because he has the ability to pass cars that are much worse than his.

Then how did he pass Bottas if that was the better car? :smug:

Norns posted:

lmbo another Max Verstappen slap fight

worst_thread.txt. "I LIKE THIS DRIVER" "NO, HE'S poo poo" "NO HE'S GOOD BECAUSE"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Well you see bottas isn't very good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Well you see bottas isn't very good.

:thejoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, serious talk for a second: Who if given Bottas's seat, would legitimately challenge Lewis for the championship? Yes, we know Nando probably would, as would Vettel, but who else?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hey at least it's a race week and we don't have time to get explicit with child murder fantasy :shrug:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Also, serious talk for a second: Who if given Bottas's seat, would legitimately challenge Lewis for the championship? Yes, we know Nando probably would, as would Vettel, but who else?

Sainz, jr

3 years ago i'd have said hulkenburg, but now he's heidfeld class upper-mediocre.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

I don't think there's anyone else on the grid capable of beating him in equal machinery.

Although i didn't think Nico Rosberg would beat him...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

It would probably be a Rosberg scenario where I think somebody coming in and beating Lewis on year one is unlikely. I think even Vettel would struggle in the first year.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iospace posted:

Well Nico was a legitimate threat in that he won a WDC, so on that basis half the field could. Perez is probably the next best driver on the grid after the top3.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Leftfield pick: The Big John.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Khablam posted:

We need some form of .... Verstappen rule?

Anyway thread we have a bigger problem

If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in two

Someone put Nando's face on this...

I don't mind Max. In fact, if he can (against all odds) manage to act like a normal, mature individual with the good and the bad - take a look outside this thread, they do exist - then I'll probably start supporting him. I guess in my old age I'm just so turned off by the smug entitlement of some of these young drivers that it becomes the main deciding factor. I know they're (mostly) very good at what they do and have worked very hard to get here. I can even acknowledge that a certain attitude is required to make it to this level of competition. But they need to learn how to stuff it sometimes and act a little humble. And not in the 100% fake way Lewis does it.

TL:DR stop acting like smug little shitcunts and just be cool. gently caress it, Sainz seems pretty laid back, I'm getting on the Chili train.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NtotheTC posted:

Well Nico was a legitimate threat in that he won a WDC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

:rolleyes:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean who are the guys punching above weight consistently? It sure as gently caress wasn't Bottas.

I legitimately think Merc hosed up and will lose the WCC because of the poor driver choice.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Perez would probably out-qualify and outrace Lewis on occasion but I can't see him keeping a sustained campaign for the championship together, I've written him off before though and he's come back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I mean who are the guys punching above weight consistently? It sure as gently caress wasn't Bottas.

I legitimately think Merc hosed up and will lose the WCC because of the poor driver choice.

It's early days but I do think that's a real threat and if Ferrari had a stronger second driver it'd almost be a guarantee. Rosberg was the perfect teammate because even though he had WDC aspirations he sort of got that he wasn't naturally talented and put alot of work into the team and driving to maintain a high standard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Perez would probably out-qualify and outrace Lewis on occasion but I can't see him keeping a sustained campaign for the championship together, I've written him off before though and he's come back.

Yeah, Perez would be one, Max another, possibly Grosjean.

But what about Pastor? :getin:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

It's a nailed on fact that if they don't retain the WCC it's because they picked the wrong second driver. Kimi's half assing it to the finish line and leaving the door wide open for Mercedes to make allowances for their human-sized skintag of a driver's lack of ability.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Perez is consistently good now; I think he deserves another shot in a top team as a second driver.

It's gotta be said too that the 2013 McLaren was a pretty mediocre car.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

I really have to agree with this. From the standpoint of Bottas will show up and play the number two role as consistently as possible, yea they probably made the right choice. From the standpoint of securing they WCC, I think they hosed up. Merc only has HAM to bring home the bacon, which he will do, but Bottas (two races in, granted) does not seem promising. Bottas just does enough, and even last race, that didn't seem sufficient. They should have taken Perez.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Don't forget that Lewis will invariably have 3-4 poo poo results this year and they need Bottas to be up there those races and he just won't be.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

Perez is consistently good now; I think he deserves another shot in a top team as a second driver.

I do wonder how good that FIndia is because I'm getting the impression both drivers are outperforming the car.

And Perez is outperforming a very highly rated junior in Ocon.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Don't forget that Lewis will invariably have 3-4 poo poo results this year and they need Bottas to be up there those races and he just won't be.

Buttass is just far too vanilla.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously think the Bottas choice was due to there being literally no-one else available. Wehrline is too raw. I think Rosberg leaving was a nastier surprise than anybody at Merc is letting on. If there is one thing RBR does right, it's having a relatively talented pool of drivers to pick from in case of emergency.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Tony Montana posted:

Why don't you like him? I'm hoping you say something as mindless as 'ugly' so I can just dismiss you as an idiot.

Two reasons: I'm jealous of the fact that he's a loving 19 year old driving the 3rd best car on the grid in Formula 1; I'm a tifoso and I hate anyone who isn't/wasn't a Ferrari driver. If they hired him to race for them tomorrow I'd suck his dick on the spot.

Also his lips are too wide for his ugly face.

Simple as that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

I do wonder how good that FIndia is because I'm getting the impression both drivers are outperforming the car.

And Perez is outperforming a very highly rated junior in Ocon.

The Force India is likely the 5th best car, so it's performing how I expected it to. The FI, STR, Haas and Williams seem to be very close in terms of performance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I seriously think the Bottas choice was due to there being literally no-one else available. Wehrline is too raw. I think Rosberg leaving was a nastier surprise than anybody at Merc is letting on. If there is one thing RBR does right, it's having a relatively talented pool of drivers to pick from in case of emergency.

I mean, look at how well the Kyvat/Verstappen swap paid off for RBR.

That, and as I've said before here, Mercedes had a bargaining chip with Williams in the form of engines.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

It really was the beginning of the shitclaren era

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Buttass being signed to a one year deal with no mention of options says alot about Mercedes' confidence in his driving ability.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do any other drivers come out of contact at the end of this season?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

iospace posted:

I mean, look at how well the Kyvat/Verstappen swap paid off for RBR.

That, and as I've said before here, Mercedes had a bargaining chip with Williams in the form of engines.

Did they even bother showing what happened to Kvyat in China? I'm not even sure the announcers on NBCSN bothered to say anything about it or go to a replay, just a quick cut of him peeking his head above the tire barriers. He's gotta be done after this year if not sooner.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Vettel to Mercedes has been rumoured. Kimi's is certainly up, I thought Hamilton's contract was up this year too since it was supposed to coincide with when Rosberg's was up but there may be an option on it.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Pretty sure Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are all out of contract at the end of this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll be more surprised if Lewis leaves Mercedes than if he stays. Though it also depends on how much he wants and how close the end result is at the end of the year

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Xisticide posted:

Pretty sure Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are all out of contract at the end of this year.

Nando definitely is, he signed a 3 year deal with no options to terminate before the end of 2017 according to the principal formerly known as Ron.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perez and Grosjean both deserve to be in race winning cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Basicly Finns are loving up F1 and giving us worse racing by being mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

Perez had his chance in a top car and all he did for himself was to prove he is a good midfielder and thats all he will ever be

• Locked thread