Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
That Zombie lord would have been rare ten years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Nissa is easily the most interesting card so far, but it's also very hard to evaluate given its in a unique space, so if mcmagic claims to know if its good or not, well, you know.

I'm guessing the correct line of play when you drop one of these is to play it on 3 unless you know you have nothing else to do with your mana. But even then, a repeatable source of free Scry 2 isn't something sniff at as a general proposition because there are weird combo applications for that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh wow Nissa's lands get flying now. She's determined to turn every plane into a mini-Zendikar.

She's anime as gently caress.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

meanolmrcloud posted:

Uh, isn't a huge knock against saviors the reliance on hand size mattering mechanics? This block has less of that, but is still committing the same mistake of awesome cards never being as awesome because of something you don't have much control over. It seems a dumb mistake to willingly commit again.

Nissa looks to be really strong, and playing her on three is really good value.

Requiring you to have cards in hand sucks because it rewards you for not playing your spells. It also only exists in this set on a single Mythic, as far as we've seen.

Hellbent, on the other hand, has always played well, and this time around it's even more lenient. It's going to be good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Uh, isn't a huge knock against saviors the reliance on hand size mattering mechanics? This block has less of that, but is still committing the same mistake of awesome cards never being as awesome because of something you don't have much control over. It seems a dumb mistake to willingly commit again.

The big knock against all of Kamigawa block was how lovely all of the cards are, not the mechanics themselves (although there were a bunch of bad mechanics as well). The saviors stuff had extremely high setup costs and small upsides. Or enablers that don't actually enable anything like the 2/3 defender that increases your hand size by one.

Grim Strider and the gods are much better designs. You can build around the hand size mechanics but it's also easy to just picture a normal game and see that they would still have an impact.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

That lord looks almost playable. Zombie tribal aggro?

There's definitely a Gisa and Geralf deck that's on some level of FNM jank.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Huh. Very hard to evaluate, but super high upside.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fact that in a late game she can come out of nowhere and smoke someone for 10 is pretty real and could justify her as a one of in a few decks.

I really want to try her out in Knight Combo in Modern, personally.

E: I didn't read that 0 closely enough, and now I really want to try her out in Knight Combo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cool design. Seems VERY good. The issue is that the loyalty is really low if you play her early....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's definitely a Gisa and Geralf deck that's on some level of FNM jank.

I mean the lord part is medium at 3 mana. But combine that with making your team almost unblockable for a turn seems okay. Probably not ever competitive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also that Nissa looks real interesting. Not necessarily good, but interesting. I can see a lot of games potentially coming down to whether a blind flip hits something useful, which might be a bit too swingy for people's tastes.

Also it can be an 8 mana dome-you-for-10. In UG.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

:neckbeard:

I will play with this one everywhere!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Surely this planeswalker will be the card to take Temur Tower over the edge, guys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How good is playing her for 3 Mana and scrying? She's gonna die alot of that time...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Depending on the deck Nissa can have like an 80% chance of triggering at 3 counters so she seems pretty worthwhile to test at least.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

2 mana delirium enabler.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Cool design. Seems VERY good. The issue is that the loyalty is really low if you play her early....

I mean, the worst part about the card is that its in a stupid color combo.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Card seems fun, but above all else man that's a pretty card. Colors & layout are lovely. :3:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's neat how her +2 sets up the +0. If you can't see anything worth casting, just bottom both and scry again next turn.

Or just top one, act like it's a bomb and watch as the opponent tries to shoot her down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Playing any reasonable creature on turn 2, then playing Nissa on turn 3, +2ing and leaving a 2- or 3-drop creature second from the top seems pretty good, especially on the play. If you can get her out and protect her early, just doing +2 and +0 on alternate turns can pile up some card advantage really quickly. And "dome the opponent for 10" is not a bad ult.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Alternate win con in my Energy Fog deck, I like her!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Ok I've changed my mind time to go make probably a lovely version of UGX control

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I really like how Nissa's +2 and 0 work together.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, the worst part about the card is that its in a stupid color combo.

The best or second best deck in the format seems like it would play this card. Idk if that is still a deck in a few weeks though.

Scrying 2 is almost like drawing a card... If you can play a creature to protect her on T2 and then play this on 3 and scry 2 that seems VERY good. But, the premier 3 mana walkers all protect themselves much better than this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rhonas the Indomitable 2G

Legendary Creature - God

Deathtouch (lol), indestructable

Rhonas the Indomitable can't attack or block unless you control another creature with 4 or more power.

2G: Another target creature gets +2+0 and trample until the end of turn.

5/5

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
That green god seems like its going to take people to pound town.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

That green god seems like its going to take people to pound town.

It's almost unbeatable in limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Legendary Creature - God

Rhonas the Indomitable can't attack or block unless you control another creature with 4 or more power.

5/5

Why does a 5/5 beater need death touch? What is this losing in combat to?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

How good is playing her for 3 Mana and scrying? She's gonna die alot of that time...

Against aggro matchups where you're behind on board it sucks. In more midrange or controlling matchups its a lot better - if they trade a spell for it the 1:1 isn't horrid for you, and if she survives she can really push to take over the game. The big question is what do you do if you play it, scry, and see land + 3-drop. If you set up the flip for next turn it's fantastic if she lives, but if they take her down then you've basically brainstorm-locked yourself with some crappy cards.

I wonder if she's good enough to play just ignoring the second ability, just scrying every turn until you can hit your opponent for 10? +2 loyalty every turn can be tricky to attack down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I was going to say so it can give itself Trample and beat for 6 after killing the blocker but they didn't give it the ability to do that :(

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Legendary Creature - God

5/5

Turn 2: heart of kiran.
Turn 3, this guy, activate heart, swing for 4.
Turn 4, play gideon, 0 make an ally, -1 (activate heart, enable god), swing for 9
Turn 5, gideon +1 (enable god), -1 (activate heart), swing for 16,

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 11, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That green god is just nutty. He also turns himself on even if you only have a lovely zombie token or whatever.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He's a 3-drop, oh my god. He comes out swinging faster than Hazoret, and brings a friend to the party to boot!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

Against aggro matchups where you're behind on board it sucks. In more midrange or controlling matchups its a lot better - if they trade a spell for it the 1:1 isn't horrid for you, and if she survives she can really push to take over the game. The big question is what do you do if you play it, scry, and see land + 3-drop. If you set up the flip for next turn it's fantastic if she lives, but if they take her down then you've basically brainstorm-locked yourself with some crappy cards.

I wonder if she's good enough to play just ignoring the second ability, just scrying every turn until you can hit your opponent for 10? +2 loyalty every turn can be tricky to attack down.

She might just be a SB card against control/midrange.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

He's a giant snake

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

it's there for flavor cause he's a snake god

e: Also because if you give him Trample you can assign 1 damage to the blocker

e2: Ah, poo poo just saw the English version and that's a no-go. Boooo

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

it's there for flavor cause he's a snake god

e: Also because if you give him Trample you can assign 1 damage to the blocker

"another creature"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Legendary Creature - God

5/5

Well that's just nuts. It can turn itself on (adding 7 power to the board) for 3 mana as long as you control any 3-power creature. You don't even have to attack with the other creatures, you can just start slamming with an indestructible 5/5 on turn 4. What blocks that? I guess it doesn't have trample itself, so they can keep chumping it with tokens or something, realistically you're probably swinging with it and a 5/3 trample at least. Snake God is a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The green god is really goddamn good

Also I just realized that Nissais both a ramp enabler and a ramp target, even ignoring her inbuilt "drop a creature" thing

• Locked thread