Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wallet posted:

You can give them new traits, if you want to, no matter how many they start with.

Oh yeah but there is a separate value for "number of traits" that has to be separately edited or the game bugs out, etc, and it's just a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
https://imgur.com/a/LtPfT

This was an interesting fight.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can giests actually hurt you at all or did you just have to spend forever sending routed dummies back into the fray?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They can, they have a touch attack that goes through armour, but they'll generally only do it if someone is fleeing next to them or if they're after someone they can't hurt.

Luckily my two 2h bro's there are basically gods and cut down 2 ghosts a turn. Eventually one legged it but the last one is wearing that awesome "no fear" necklace thingy.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Snatch Duster posted:

Warscythes are a polearm. You give it to xbow and bow users. The front line still uses warhammers and great swords.

If you're fighting a lot of ancient dead, it can be fun to give the warscythe to a frontliner and let beat on the enemy's pike legionaries over the tops of their front rank of shield legionaries.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Charity Spring posted:

If you're fighting a lot of ancient dead, it can be fun to give the warscythe to a frontliner and let beat on the enemy's pike legionaries over the tops of their front rank of shield legionaries.

True and berserk is bonkers with that build since reap has lowest fatigue build up if I recall

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
In my current game I had not one but two beggars with 3* in melee by say 25. One of them had 2* in melee defense and 1* in initiative, and the other one 3* in fatigue. I also got the crypt cleaver event and didn't even have to fight for it!

Does the crypt cleaver carry on being effective through the endgame?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Pro tip: don't ally with a noble house that only has one city during the war.

It'll proceed to send you across half the map to a siege first.

Then it'll send you to a battle against the so far neutral house and your best archer will get a permanent injury. Then the backup will get shot in the kidney in the next battle and you'll realize that you can only hire replacements from two settlements now.

Then the only available mission will be raiding for 5 days and because you allied with the shittiest family and the scales started tipped not exactly in your favor you'll end up running all across the map because the enemy territory you're supposed to raid is loving everything, everywhere. All while permanently fighting enemy companies and militias, mostly alone because your allies have a total of four or five active companies.
Just so you can collect 4k after 5 days and 100 corpses.
Which barely covers your expenses at this point.
Assuming no deaths. Not even dogs.
All my dogs are dead.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 9, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh yeah but there is a separate value for "number of traits" that has to be separately edited or the game bugs out, etc, and it's just a pain.

You just increment a single, easily found value? It's easier than changing traits! If you take off a dude's gear, then before his description, after where it says human.... there is 40 02 (or 04) 00 and then the number you need to change.

Wizard Styles posted:

Pro tip: don't ally with a noble house that only has one city during the war.

It'll proceed to send you across half the map to a siege first.

Regular noble houses will do this. I just got sent to a siege way across the map that the faction only sent 8 dudes to.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got a Wildman with an Iron Lung and massive Fatigue.

He can use orc weapons without complaint.

I see the wildman light now.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wildmen seem great but then also their events are complete poo poo and can gently caress you over immensely if you're not careful.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The house-specific helmets knights wear should be guaranteed drops.
I even took care not to damage it too much and still the game wouldn't give me the fish one after the war's last siege battle.
Now the war is over and I only have one trophy helmet.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Wildmen are awesome but I think took too many of them in my last game. I had a 9 person frontline of mostly tanky wildmen with lots of fatigue but pretty middling melee skill. Worked fine until the crisis hit and I was out-attritioned in the noble house fights, leading to a few nasty retreats and a death spiral. Our lines would meet but I didn't have the offense to punch through and kill their billmen before they started wearing down my tanks. In my latest file I've hired more mercs with good melee skill, I'm making more use of 2Hers and am having a better time in general. No crisis yet but I think I'm in good shape.

My current formation has a heavily armored 2H user on each flank (🗡️ and 🔨) and another 2H in the center, with four mace/flail/axe+shield tanks holding the front line together. In the back I have a polearm guy, archers with pikes and a flag dude. Also training up a nimble dagger guy with good initiative and melee defense, but he's not ready to go all-out yet.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 9, 2017

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

How long does it take for ruined city resource areas to regrow?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How do you tackle the goblin capital? It's the goblin equivalent of the black monolith in the sense that it's you versus 47 enemies. I attacked at night so their archers can't hit anything, but having to face down three shamans simultaneously makes it seem nigh-impossible. The vine spell they have is like a mass net that can hit five people at once (same mechanics as nets in terms of breaking free), meaning swathes of my line is eating huge fatigue penalties as they try to break out. Not breaking out doesn't appear to be an option, because their pikemen will happily hang back out of melee range and poke my guys to death.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ruggan posted:

How long does it take for ruined city resource areas to regrow?

It seems to be kinda variable but I've seen it happen in 5 to 10 days or so.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Spakstik posted:

How do you tackle the goblin capital? It's the goblin equivalent of the black monolith in the sense that it's you versus 47 enemies. I attacked at night so their archers can't hit anything, but having to face down three shamans simultaneously makes it seem nigh-impossible. The vine spell they have is like a mass net that can hit five people at once (same mechanics as nets in terms of breaking free), meaning swathes of my line is eating huge fatigue penalties as they try to break out. Not breaking out doesn't appear to be an option, because their pikemen will happily hang back out of melee range and poke my guys to death.

Like orcs i've found bows to be one of the most effective ways of taking them down quicker. Maybe invest in ~5 bows? A warbow can kill an ambusher in one shot with a good roll. Two handers don't seem great vs them due to the whole poison arrow poo poo, so kite shields on everyone while the greatsword is bagged and 3 quivers on whoever's got a bow, and as soon as you start killing their morale starts to plunge, which will help drop their range skill. Fall back to high ground and unleash with impunity.

I do suggest your bow guys have dodge and/or anticipation

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drone_Fragger posted:

Wildmen seem great but then also their events are complete poo poo and can gently caress you over immensely if you're not careful.

On the other hand, the one I'm thinking of is an opportunity to cut the wildman's pay long term in exchange for a short term morale penalty. My brute wildman has had that event twice and now his pay is half that of some recruits half his level.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 10, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the morale hit is more than worth it for that alone. gently caress it, he'll cheer up when he smashes in a few guys faces.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sloober posted:

Like orcs i've found bows to be one of the most effective ways of taking them down quicker. Maybe invest in ~5 bows? A warbow can kill an ambusher in one shot with a good roll. Two handers don't seem great vs them due to the whole poison arrow poo poo, so kite shields on everyone while the greatsword is bagged and 3 quivers on whoever's got a bow, and as soon as you start killing their morale starts to plunge, which will help drop their range skill. Fall back to high ground and unleash with impunity.

I do suggest your bow guys have dodge and/or anticipation

Since I'm attacking at night, the ambushers are a non-issue. They hit maybe 1 in 20 shots. In this case the goblin city is nestled in a forest, so there's little high ground and no clear line of sight to most targets, which makes the ambushers even more useless but also limits the effectiveness of my own archers.

The problem is really the three shamans, because their root spell has no cooldown and masses of my guys are getting rooted multiple times each turn. Since the shamans all move before most of my team, I can't even scatter my dudes before this happens. Add to it that I'm getting swarmed from all sides by the 47 goblin units and there's not a whole lot I can do aside from not fight the fight at all. Even if I could, the fact that it's in a forest means I have no clear path to the shamans that doesn't involve spending multiple turns trying to wade through a mass of goblins.

This is probably the only balance gripe I have about this game. The root spell needs to have either a huge fatigue penalty (it currently appears to not have one at all), a cooldown, or a 100% chance to break out of the roots. On that last point, I had a guy that was stuck in the same roots for three turns because he came up on the wrong side of the 50% escape chance every single time. When he finally did break free, he was too fatigued to be of any use. Repeat to varying degrees across my entire party and you have a rough idea of how every iteration of the fight went.

Alternately, maybe the game shouldn't throw three of them at you at once.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Abuse retreat for three solid months until you pick off the goddamned mages? :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It'd be great if you could just lead some extra mens into a large-scale fight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
At least be able to hire another mercenary company to aid you!

(and then kill them for the loot when they betray you and try to claim it for themselves)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does anyone have some screenshots of their Bros in formation that they wouldn't mind me using in a Steam guide? I'm working on throwing together a Beginner's Guide similar to what I did for Rimworld or Darkest Dungeon , and I'd like to include a section on tactics & formations but there are too many different strategies for me to take all the screenshots myself.

I'd particularly like a shot of the frontline pikes/spear formation I've heard people talk about, and any others that people find really useful. Thanks!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Does a frontline of 10 dudes with greatswords qualify for this guide?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dylguy90 posted:

Does a frontline of 10 dudes with greatswords qualify for this guide?

Sure. Do you space them out or have them next to each other?

I'd be really interested in a good 2h axe and 2h chain formation too, I've never really figured that out.

In action against an enemy would be best, in fairly high resolution so it shows the weapons and gear.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This is my 3 spear + 2 long-reach weapon lineup in effect. Works great against nachts, wolves, wieders, auxiliaries, and orcs. They're too dumb to go for the edges as long as you don't hang a guy in the 2nd line out farther than half a hex.

My two flail/shield guys have rotation and can dump the long reach guys into the second line if something manages to shieldwall in past the spears (orcs/auxilliaries). They can then either shield bash stuff away and rotate back or just kill it.
Fully committing to the strat involves archers with pikes in the second row to push stuff back that gets through. This takes too long IMO, can fail when enemies get stacked up, and you have to dump a lot of fatigue into your spear wielders to keep a wall up long enough to kill everything. I prefer just keeping the wall up until morale gets weakened or the herd gets thinned/dearmored before my greatsworders move up and wrecking ball everything:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

Since I'm attacking at night, the ambushers are a non-issue. They hit maybe 1 in 20 shots. In this case the goblin city is nestled in a forest, so there's little high ground and no clear line of sight to most targets, which makes the ambushers even more useless but also limits the effectiveness of my own archers.

The problem is really the three shamans, because their root spell has no cooldown and masses of my guys are getting rooted multiple times each turn. Since the shamans all move before most of my team, I can't even scatter my dudes before this happens. Add to it that I'm getting swarmed from all sides by the 47 goblin units and there's not a whole lot I can do aside from not fight the fight at all. Even if I could, the fact that it's in a forest means I have no clear path to the shamans that doesn't involve spending multiple turns trying to wade through a mass of goblins.

This is probably the only balance gripe I have about this game. The root spell needs to have either a huge fatigue penalty (it currently appears to not have one at all), a cooldown, or a 100% chance to break out of the roots. On that last point, I had a guy that was stuck in the same roots for three turns because he came up on the wrong side of the 50% escape chance every single time. When he finally did break free, he was too fatigued to be of any use. Repeat to varying degrees across my entire party and you have a rough idea of how every iteration of the fight went.

Alternately, maybe the game shouldn't throw three of them at you at once.

Root means you can't move until you break free but you can still take other actions, like hit things. Maybe try range 2 polearms weapons on the 2 hander guys. The relative lack of damage isn't too bad; Goblin's don't have a lot of HP nor armour. Ambushers could still be a problem but if you're in a forest then that might work

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I'm slowly starting to get a grip of this game. Unlocked Noble contracts :woop:
Would you cozy up to the Nobles with fancy castles, or the ones that have a huge harbour presence?

Also melee defense rocks pretty hard. My issue for now is that I've converted all my ranged ones into bow-guys, and they to very little vs armored foes.
Since their main role is to shoot _their_ archers it's mostly gravy

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Had a war dog kill a Necrosavant and hold out against another until a mace bro found the time to come over to stunlock the fucker last night.
He has now retired and become the pet of my shittiest reserve guy, whose sole job is taking care of him/keeping him in his inventory so I don't end up accidentally sending the best dog this company ever had on a suicide mission against a Goblin Overseer.

Daktari posted:

Would you cozy up to the Nobles with fancy castles, or the ones that have a huge harbour presence?
I've found no issues with just taking contracts from whoever offers them until the war hits. In my current game I ended up fighting for the only house that never offered me a contract before (because it started with one secluded citadel close to two other military settlements, so absolutely nothing of note ever happened in that area, and obviously they couldn't send me to patrol their roads or anything, considering they owned nothing).

e: During the war, you'll definitely feel it when all harbors are closed to you, but it's manageable.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 11, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yep, I allied myself with the smallest faction (2 cities + 2 villages) and was running out of tools about halfway through the war due to repairing all the loot I'd pick up. Having 3/4 of the cities closed to you really makes you notice the economic side of this game more than you normally would.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pretty sure this guy is literally immortal :black101:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I bought this game on Friday and lost my whole weekend to it. The description of Mount & Blade x XCOM is right on.

I think I've screwed up my current campaign by pushing for the 12 bros ambition too early, right after getting a village to friendly. I'm at an economic standstill and/or death spiral due to the cost of tools and replacing bros while trying to grow.

What is the preferred ambition order? Friendly village then visit all towns then ??? I think I'll restart tonight with the same map seed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
At the moment I'm thinking twelve dudes by day 20 or so is a good target, but it's important not to rush it; you want to stick with eight through day 10 at least, and it's better to wait than to rush.

I usually skip visiting all towns because it's too much time and trouble. Friendly first, then 12 dudes then it depends. I try to pick the ones I can hit easily -- I'll have a guy with open perk slots waiting before I take the sergeant ambition, etc.

You can hit 12 dudes for the ambition then let a few die, too. Don't have to stay at 12.

There is a big variation in cost of goods between cities and villages, so look for a village that sells tools and get friendly there.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Friendly village first is the easy choice, afterwards it kind of depends. Visiting every settlement doesn't depend on your success or things like contract or recruit availability, though, while every other ambition does. So it's always a safe option unless you really want to stay in a specific area for whatever reason (trading goods, the rest of the map is a hellhole of swamps and mountains, whatever).

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure this guy is literally immortal :black101:

That's hilarious, I have an Iron Jawed Survivor Farmhand that I've also nicknamed Undying.

He refuses to even get knocked out, though, so he doesn't have a permanent injury yet.

dylguy90 posted:

Yep, I allied myself with the smallest faction (2 cities + 2 villages) and was running out of tools about halfway through the war due to repairing all the loot I'd pick up. Having 3/4 of the cities closed to you really makes you notice the economic side of this game more than you normally would.
Hey, as long as it's only tools and not warm bodies.
And luckily the house I allied with conquered two additional settlements very quickly, or I might have run out of everything. I ambushed enemy caravans for food at some point early on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm. What's a good build for a killer on the run with Brute? Cleaver duellist?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I'd particularly like a shot of the frontline pikes/spear formation I've heard people talk about, and any others that people find really useful. Thanks!

I still run with this, although it's modified from how I use to use it. I will provide screenshots when I get home of my current mid-game group.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

This is my 3 spear + 2 long-reach weapon lineup in effect. Works great against nachts, wolves, wieders, auxiliaries, and orcs. They're too dumb to go for the edges as long as you don't hang a guy in the 2nd line out farther than half a hex.

Why not just make the polearm dudes additional 2 hander guys and get some free hits even after the enemy closes?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

At the moment I'm thinking twelve dudes by day 20 or so is a good target, but it's important not to rush it; you want to stick with eight through day 10 at least, and it's better to wait than to rush.

I usually skip visiting all towns because it's too much time and trouble. Friendly first, then 12 dudes then it depends. I try to pick the ones I can hit easily -- I'll have a guy with open perk slots waiting before I take the sergeant ambition, etc.

You can hit 12 dudes for the ambition then let a few die, too. Don't have to stay at 12.

There is a big variation in cost of goods between cities and villages, so look for a village that sells tools and get friendly there.

Note: this advice is only for save scumming hex editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Why not just make the polearm dudes additional 2 hander guys and get some free hits even after the enemy closes?
Once they have enough fatigue to tote the extra weapon around, this is the plan - also to keep a pike or polearm on the dedicated greatsword guys.