Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wiz posted:

That's nice and all but what did you do to your beautiful bubble helmets? :mad:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766663636

This mod.

Pros: Great variety of actual parrots.

Cons: No helmets.

Is it worth it? I can't judge.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

How do you make a species that eats other species?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Roll xenophobes or hive minds

Apocalyptic Penguin
Sep 6, 2010
I'm pretty satisfied with Utopia overall, but I'm not sure I like how purging works now. It seems to be an all or nothing thing? I conquered some nice gaia worlds from a fallen empire of butterflies, which would be much more worthy of being inhabited by my genetically superior race of space spiders. But I don't want to completely eradicate the butterflies because they are tasty. Other than that, I'll just echo the sentiment that orbital habitats need ~something~. Keep the ascension perk requirement, but only require Defense Platforms tech for a 6 tile habitat, which can be later upgraded to have more tiles as you advance up to Fortress tech (so maybe 9 tiles at the mid platform tech, and then 12 at fortresses)? But I'm having a lot of fun, it definitely feels like the game has hit its stride.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I integrate a hive mind, do they all then die because they're not in a hive mind empire?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would it be too much to ask that habitats be able to build shipyards? I'm not being facetious, but I only ever play singleplayer and I'm wondering if habitat starbases would destabilize the game or something.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Are migration treaties a trap now? I'm about a century in, and my strong early start is now faltering because my population is emigrating from my empire at about the same rate that the population is growing. I've been struggling to even keep all my buildings running over the past few decades, much less continue to develop planets. I even had half a dozen pops emigrate to an empire that didn't exist by the time they left my planets, as it was conquered by its neighbor, but they still disappeared once their timer was up. All of my factions are happy, my average pop has a happiness of ~85%, and I'm a democracy with mostly egalitarian pops, but its just a never-ending stream of people leaving to go live on worlds with half the habitability under despotic regimes.

I'm definitely ending my remaining migration treaties once I jump back in and continue the game, but has anyone else had similar experiences with Banks/Utopia?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I don't think I have heard anyone say they aren't playing some variation of space hitler before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I sometimes play tech focused integrated societies but you needed to take xenophilia to really do that last patch, which put me off as I would prefer to spend the points on other things.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Preem Palver posted:

Are migration treaties a trap now? I'm about a century in, and my strong early start is now faltering because my population is emigrating from my empire at about the same rate that the population is growing. I've been struggling to even keep all my buildings running over the past few decades, much less continue to develop planets. I even had half a dozen pops emigrate to an empire that didn't exist by the time they left my planets, as it was conquered by its neighbor, but they still disappeared once their timer was up. All of my factions are happy, my average pop has a happiness of ~85%, and I'm a democracy with mostly egalitarian pops, but its just a never-ending stream of people leaving to go live on worlds with half the habitability under despotic regimes.

I'm definitely ending my remaining migration treaties once I jump back in and continue the game, but has anyone else had similar experiences with Banks/Utopia?

Yes, I have. They don't come to me, but my people go to them, and I'm not sure why. I haven't even really been DOING much, just trying to claim what's near me. Then again, people also seem to jump from my capital to other planets often, but at the same time, they're not replaced on the capital, only grown. Most of my places are pretty happy already given all my places have Paradise Domes and I complete Harmony.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Preem Palver posted:

Yeah. It's not a huge problem for me, most of my pops still just move within the empire, but enough of them are moving out that I have an inactive building or two in most of my more established colonies. Nomadic trait: Not always a positive thing. :v:

I kinda feel like the migration controls in the species rights UI should have a "domestic migration only" option.

EDIT: That said I have had some incoming migrants too, thanks to the "Legal Aliens" edict.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Decrepus posted:

I don't think I have heard anyone say they aren't playing some variation of space hitler before.
I basically only play freedom-loving democracies. My current run is as the United Syndicates of America, full egalitarian plus xenophile, and mining guilds as a civic so I can pretend I'm space-John L. Lewis.

It's pretty great. At this point, I've gotten 3 systems just from rebels in neighboring authoritarian empires breaking away and straight-up asking to be annexed by me.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way to tell Sector governors not to build defensive armies?

Also, should I just be putting planets in sectors (with minimal connections), or should I instead put whole swathes of space in (will sectors build mining and research stations?)

What settings do you use for your Sectors? I opted with Balanced and tried to let them reinvest as much as possible until they got rolling with a nice surplus that I could skip, along with generous donations from me later on. My only worry is that you can't get minerals+energy out of a sector's stockpile...

Won a Domination game (and a had a much smoother start than any other games that I've played).

Went with Pacifist / Fanatic Materialist early (for Unity and extra Core), with Idyllic Farms + Mineral mining Civics and Industrious/Intelligent/Sedentary/Deviant for my species (not sure about Deviant -- I think it ended up causing a bunch of early happiness problems as pops drifted away and the new faction system essentially bases happiness on faction happiness not just on planet mods -- not used to that, but not sure what else is a good throwaway trait -- maybe Repugnant? Weak has a -5% minerals now I noticed).

Mostly hewed to the loadouts recommended here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
(Warning: some spoilers there if you scroll down, particularly for the Shroud)

Planning out tech paths a bit helped me skip techs that were less useful (e.g. ignoring missiles almost entirely).

Early game I went for naked Corvettes (no shields, no armor, no upgrades, just fleet cap and beyond in corvettes). One other big change I made was not to emphasis planetary + building development -- I'd tend to simcity there and that's a huge opportunity cost of minerals. This game I was incredibly conservative with minerals early on and that helped give me the springboard to conquer both proximate neighbors, break out in free colonization space, and basically do whatever I wanted.

Went the Genetic Engineering (Biological) ascension path -- didn't realize until later on that it unlocks an additional, special tech that gives you super-genetic mods and lets you completely rebuild your species:
http://www.stellariswiki.com/Unity#Biological

I ended up doing that and customizing each of my species (Fertile+Erudite+planet pref for each planet) -- it's a lot faster/cheaper than normal gene editing it feels like (might be because of the two Ascension perks?). Even added the super +30% Adaptability to the poor souls that colonized Tomb Worlds.

Won handily on a Small 2 spiral map about 150 years after the start date. (Once you snowball, you snowball!)

I -- intentionally -- didn't use Robots this run so I might have to do the Robot Ascension Path next (this displeased my materialist faction, which continually whined about not having robot servants at their beck and call). So far Psionic/Shroud has been my favorite as it had the most flavor and interesting events.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 11, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It seems I had 3 robot pops still growing at the time I teched up to synths. I now have two synths and 3 robots in my empire, and I can't see any way to get rid of these robots. Is this a bug?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

After playing as a hive mind I have decided that this game would benefit if the paradox staff spent an evening watching The Thing. It would be lovely to see some planet-killing events involving horrific alien doppelgangers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Decrepus posted:

:lol: I can't even bring my self to run slavery. 67 hours in the game, never purged a pop.

It just... feels.... wrong.

EDIT: Worst thing I've done was start a game with syncretic evolution, flip the prole race to 'livestock' to see if that worked right out the gate, and then flipped them back without unpausing the game before quitting the game. :lol:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

:lol: I can't even bring my self to run slavery. 67 hours in the game, never purged a pop.

It just... feels.... wrong.

EDIT: Worst thing I've done was start a game with syncretic evolution, flip the prole race to 'livestock' to see if that worked right out the gate, and then flipped them back without unpausing the game before quitting the game. :lol:

Same, never purged anyone. Tried enslaving once as a xenophobe and their production went down so I un-slaved them and thought "what the hell's the point of this?!" and carried on being a good guy.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Interestingly, I didn't finish many tradition trees -- I didn't focus on Unity and once I swapped from Pacifist to Militarist (empowering a faction so that I could actually, y'know, go to war and not just liberate people), I actually preserved my Idyllic Farms (despite being Militarist) until I tried to add a third civic (at which point it was red and I had to drop it).

I went Prosperity to open (for the cheap mining stations), then finished Exploration, and then opened Diplomacy (being greedy and not building research stations until then -- which may have been a mistake) toward Planetary Scanning. Then finished off Diplo and did Unity, and then got the openers in Supremacy and Domination before dropping two points in Supremacy or so before the game ended. First ascension perk was Mastery of Nature for costless tile blocker clearing (was greedy and didn't clear any before I got it and didn't research any tile blocking clearing techs either -- it's definitely my favorite ascension perk). Second was +10% Research, then the two Biological path ones (one of which came thanks to the +Ascension Perk tech).

So all in all: Completed Expansion, Discovery, Unity, and 1-4 extra points here and there...

Not sure what I could have done to bolster unity -- it seems hard to do in a large, sprawling empire, unless I want to micromanage planets in sectors somehow(?) to build unity buildings?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I had an empire I'd created show up in a game as another empire despite not being set up with civics at all; is this a bug? The empire selection menu had the greyed out phoenix icon, and told me they wouldn't spawn. I don't think it's a coincidence; the race in question has a ringworld home planet and a non-standard homeworld name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At the moment slavery is a bit silly because it's far more efficient to stack happiness until people are outputting +20% everything rather than +10% minerals/food.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Decrepus posted:

There's plenty of scope for being... ethically questionable without purging. I liberate the gently caress out of my neighbours then gene-mod their population into compliance.

Edit: come to think of it, with the genetic ascension perk you could take a planet, mod all its inhabitants to be horribly flawed, then give it back.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have two bugs I wish to report. One of them is relating to a quest chain. The other is that my save folder only contains a single save, the others seem to be being exclusively saved In The Cloud. This is limiting my ability to report the first bug properly.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Migration treaties are excellent if you're expanding, because new colonies have a strong pull on pops on worlds that are already full. If you're playing tall avoid them like the plague.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

At the moment slavery is a bit silly because it's far more efficient to stack happiness until people are outputting +20% everything rather than +10% minerals/food.

Happy people are more efficient and productive than slaves?

Ofaloaf posted:

I basically only play freedom-loving democracies.

Same, and just like all the best freedom loving democracies irl I spend most of my time invading my authoritarian neighbors to spread my superior quality of life to the rest of the galaxy whether they want it or not

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bohemian Nights posted:

Same, and just like all the best freedom loving democracies irl I spend most of my time invading my authoritarian neighbors to spread my superior quality of life to the rest of the galaxy whether they want it or not

Well, if they were informed enough to decide properly then obviously they'd request vassalisation, so that's basically the same as consenting to the takeover.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How early are random events chosen? I was happily going along building my happy little frog empire until some anomalies started happening and then these 55k+ fleets started devouring my worlds whole. They literally ate my people and I can't do anything about it since my strongest fleets are only 30k. Does this game not just let you play peaceful civilizations that later puppetmaster the other civilizations via trade/banking?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

Happy people are more efficient and productive than slaves?

Yes but it's not especially good gameplay if I can make everyone in the empire as objectively happy as it is possible for sapient life to be, without really trying, thus invalidating the mechanic and everything tied to it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Since I don't play slaver often, does the 10% production boost from enslavement work from a guaranteed baseline (e.g. whatever a free pop would produce at 50% happiness +10%)?

If not, and slave production is also hit with a unhappiness malus, that would kinda suck. However, if they work from the 50% baseline, then I could see a strategy of using slaves to populate low habitability worlds and turn them into hellish mining powerhouses.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it's not especially good gameplay if I can make everyone in the empire as objectively happy as it is possible for sapient life to be, without really trying, thus invalidating the mechanic and everything tied to it.

Well keep in mind that your slaves will also be productive if you are running them on a barely habitable planet, where happiness attempts would be capped at 40-50% or something. Being able to fill every single planet with mines can go a long way toward drowning your foes in a tide of warships.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately slaves take forever to breed on low habitability hellholes. Perhaps there could be some sort of Enforced Growth policy to make being a slaver even more horrifying, buy productive!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I've got an idea kicking around to do a diplomacy slaving setup, utilize the civic for +50% attraction and visitor centers (and probably the edict) to lure fresh slaves to a paradise style world before you force ship them to the mines.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I forgot that only materialist empires can grant full citizenship to synths. How do I get a materialist faction to appear in an empire? Uh, asking for a friend.

e: Moments after that and a materialist faction finally spawned. What other ways are there to promote a faction's growth other than the actual 'promote faction' thing?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Apocalyptic Penguin posted:

I'm pretty satisfied with Utopia overall, but I'm not sure I like how purging works now. It seems to be an all or nothing thing? I conquered some nice gaia worlds from a fallen empire of butterflies, which would be much more worthy of being inhabited by my genetically superior race of space spiders. But I don't want to completely eradicate the butterflies because they are tasty.

Yeah, this game really needs to let us set all of the stuff in the species rights tab on a planetary level instead of just a species-wide level.

We can currently purge an entire species or just tell them all to leave our empire, but we need to be able to do stuff like tell pops from one species on a specific world to leave that planet. They don't even necessarily have to go to another empire, they just have to get off of that specific world. Or, how about if we could select a planet and set which species were allowed to move there in the first place.

Why can't I set living standards on some planets higher than others?

You could even tie the faction system into this as well. I don't see why my immortal all-powerful god-emperor can't just kill, expel, or enslave members of troublesome factions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nordick posted:

Yeah. It's not a huge problem for me, most of my pops still just move within the empire, but enough of them are moving out that I have an inactive building or two in most of my more established colonies. Nomadic trait: Not always a positive thing. :v:

This is how I feel too. I'm confident having my pops move off my well populated core worlds and into new worlds is probably optimal, but holy gently caress is it ever annoying.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Survey Corps appears to be the new reason why you should never agree to trade star charts.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

Survey Corps appears to be the new reason why you should never agree to trade star charts.
Just play in an obscenely big galaxy, then there'll still be stars a-plenty to explore.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

OwlFancier posted:

It's also more or less not really true. There's a reason slavery endured for so long (and still does in many places), and it's not just because people are assholes (though it's that too). Forced labor is actually super productive for things requiring unskilled labor.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also just going to agree that there needs to be something better for dealing with non-hive pops in a hive mind than eating them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Patrat posted:

Well keep in mind that your slaves will also be productive if you are running them on a barely habitable planet, where happiness attempts would be capped at 40-50% or something. Being able to fill every single planet with mines can go a long way toward drowning your foes in a tide of warships.

Though given that not doing that allows me to drown my foes in a slightly smaller tide of much better warships that I can have 200 more of, it's not a very compelling argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Really? Like the guy above I've never played anything but a benevolent empire. My variation consists of whether I'm spiritual or materialistic.

• Locked thread