Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Edna Mode posted:

Awesome trip so far! Friday we ended up doing Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, then spent yesterday at Epcot. Just got back from MK to relax before our resort bar crawl tonight!

Where are you crawling? I'm curious how the new security measures affect doing the monorail resort hopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Anya posted:

Where are you crawling? I'm curious how the new security measures affect doing the monorail resort hopping.

From what I've seen you'd have to go through security when boarding the monorail each time. But I can't imagine that would be very difficult.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's certainly possible to do all or almost all of the houses in one night, but you have to be willing to stand in long lines to do it so make sure you've got friends to stick around with you. Last year I went with a close friend most nights and we had an absolute blast because we could actually talk and have fun while waiting in line.

If you're actually in Florida or down for multiple nights, get the Frequent Fear. It costs about the same as a single peak night ticket anyway and gets you more time than you'll know what to do with. I've had one every year since 2006 except for 2012 and 2013 because I was working as a scareactor those years.

If you want to get everything done in one night, I suggest being at Universal during the day as well. they have holding areas where ticket holders for Horror Nights can go and wait as they clear the park and set up for the event. They open the holding areas before the main gates, so you can get a few things done before the park is even properly open. I did this often last year and was able to do American Horror Story with no wait (which is hard) then do Exorcist and maybe Walking Dead before the crowds took hold. knocking out three of the biggest before guests enter the gates is a huge time saver.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Anya posted:

We ubered from French Quarter to Wilderness Lodge, then took a boat to the Contemporary, then monorailed to Grand Floridian, then walked to Poly. Just one bag check to get on the monorail, no biggie. Watched Wishes from the Poly beach, really cool! Lapu Lapu plus Trader Sam's equals trouble though...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How bad are the flashy lights at both parks Halloween events?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Edna Mode posted:

We ubered from French Quarter to Wilderness Lodge, then took a boat to the Contemporary, then monorailed to Grand Floridian, then walked to Poly. Just one bag check to get on the monorail, no biggie. Watched Wishes from the Poly beach, really cool! Lapu Lapu plus Trader Sam's equals trouble though...

I'm getting a Lapu Lapu when I go next month. I've been wanting to try one for awhile now! It's a drink and a snack!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's so good. For my birthday last year we did Trader Sam's then 'Ohana and finished the night off with a Lapu Lapu. Great night that would have solidified Poly as my favorite resort if I didn't love California Grill so much.

Also, the breakfast buffet at Wilderness Lodge is really cheap and the best breakfast food at Disney. Highly recommend it. The alcoholic drinks are delicious too if you feel like starting early or need a little edge taken off before braving Main Street.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you guys see the leaked pics of avatar?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

How bad are the flashy lights at both parks Halloween events?

Disney has few or none, but Universal's HHN uses strobes in almost everything in at least some capacity.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok thank you. Wasn't sure if not so scary was as bad as very merry in flashing lights

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Did you guys see the leaked pics of avatar?

Just saw them. Love the Tiki Bar entrance.

Link if you're curious:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/10/new-leaked-photos-pandora-world-avatar/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a interesting article about the Millenium Falcon line and how it's probably a clone of Mission Space:

http://www.coaster101.com/2017/04/10/millennium-falcon-ride-mission-space-2-0/

you know, because that worked so great the first time :downs:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem with mission space is that it isn't intense enough and people are just babies. Everyone had me all hyped up for how intense it was, and it ended up being a whole lot of nothing.

Yes I know Disney and thrill rides don't mix, but all it did was leave me wishing for more.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 11, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The significant issues with Mission: SPACE - lackluster visuals, repetitious crises, lack of interactivity given the amount of poo poo available for you to press - could all be corrected in an iterated version of the ride system.

I'd be more concerned about the capacity. M:S waits aren't exactly brutal but you have to think that's going to be pretty different for the attraction that lets you ride shotgun to Han Solo and Chewie.

EDIT: it's definitely going to be worse either way though because no Destiny.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 11, 2017

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

The rumors I've read about the Falcon ride is that the ride system is similar to Forbidden journey, but on an omnimover system like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth. If that's true, then the circles on the pictures would be the boarding carousels and not centrifuges.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd be shocked if they pulled the same trick twice.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I have a feeling that's load/unload like Forbidden Journey

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How is it that Speedway was never rebranded as Cars?

It seems like the easiest, most obvious rebrand.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BlueBayou posted:

How is it that Speedway was never rebranded as Cars?

It seems like the easiest, most obvious rebrand.

They should nuke the Speedway and do something else with that space.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Omne posted:

Amen.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Got our magic bands and car magnets yeeeeah

My wife wants to stay at a Disney resort for her 30th, but we'd only be staying one, maybe two nights and not spending a lot of time in the hotel. Is it worth it if we want to maximize our time inside the parks to stay on the property, or is staying at a nearby hotel, like one near Disney Springs a better idea? Those Disney resorts are pricy AF.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Omne posted:

As much as I agree, there would probably be riots. To this day I'm still shocked at how many people love to drive around in the Florida sun at 3mph behind someone who can't accelerate while huffing exhaust fumes.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Reinanigans posted:

Got our magic bands and car magnets yeeeeah

My wife wants to stay at a Disney resort for her 30th, but we'd only be staying one, maybe two nights and not spending a lot of time in the hotel. Is it worth it if we want to maximize our time inside the parks to stay on the property, or is staying at a nearby hotel, like one near Disney Springs a better idea? Those Disney resorts are pricy AF.

Decide if the perks of being on the resort are worth it to you. Extra magic hours and more flexible transportation are the big ones. Sometimes there are good deals like free meal plan if you stay at a resort so look out for those.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

couldcareless posted:

As much as I agree, there would probably be riots. To this day I'm still shocked at how many people love to drive around in the Florida sun at 3mph behind someone who can't accelerate while huffing exhaust fumes.

Yeah, I've done Speedway exactly once and shall not be partaking in the future.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

At universal today! Did forbidden journey twice, both dragon challenge coasters, then took the express to Diagon Alley. Checked out the shops and now stuck in the preshow room at gringotts because of "technical difficulties" 😛

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Edna Mode posted:

At universal today! Did forbidden journey twice, both dragon challenge coasters, then took the express to Diagon Alley. Checked out the shops and now stuck in the preshow room at gringotts because of "technical difficulties" 😛

Ride the train both ways, it's neatly a different experience both times (going to / leaving hogwarts).

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Omne posted:

Oh i agree

Im still shocked they didnt rebrand it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If they dare touch the Carousel of Progress I will find the person responsible and do very un-Disney like things to them.

But otherwise yeah nuke the raceway it's loving lame (yet for some reason the line is always crazy????)

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ride the train both ways, it's neatly a different experience both times (going to / leaving hogwarts).

We will, as soon as the wait is less than forty five minutes!

They ended up closing the ride. Sucks that we spent an hour and a half waiting for nothing but at least we got gringotts express passes for later. Hopefully the rest of the day goes smoother!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it busy there?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Is it busy there?

Extremely! Most waits are over 30-40 minutes. We have express passes already explored the Harry Potter stuff so we're mostly good. Going to go mini golfing and catch a movie in City Walk before heading back into the parks.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sick aerial shot of Pandora posted this morning. Looks good to go.

Image:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

It's one of a few classic Disney World rides that has remained practically unchanged since the Magic Kingdom opened, so it's probably riding on nostalgia alone.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There's a fine line between classic nostalgia (carousel of progress) and questionable hoarding (speedway)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Dren posted:

Decide if the perks of being on the resort are worth it to you. Extra magic hours and more flexible transportation are the big ones. Sometimes there are good deals like free meal plan if you stay at a resort so look out for those.

Free dining usually requires a minimum of a 2 or 3 night stay, just fyi.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pandora is a lot smaller than I thought it would be huh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Currently looking at staying over the weekend of May 27th (checking out on Tuesday) at Port Orleans in advance of my trip up to NYC. It's my fiancee and I's first solo staycation!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Renegret posted:

But otherwise yeah nuke the raceway it's loving lame (yet for some reason the line is always crazy????)

Kids love to drive cars.

They'd probably love it more if they were Cars but :effort:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

It's one of a few classic Disney World rides that has remained practically unchanged since the Magic Kingdom opened, so it's probably riding on nostalgia alone.

Autopia at DLR is allowable as it's one of the original 1955 rides, but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the MK one being replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

couldcareless posted:

The Speedway had a 60 minute wait last week, I couldn't believe it. It's the worst ride in the kingdom.