Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

people frequently forget the other side of dunning kruger, which is that competent people underestimate their own abilities.

dunning kruger kind of breaks down when there's no meaningful difference between competence and incompetence such as with computer touching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

oh hey, a rejection letter from a company I interviewed with three weeks ago. I pretty much figured out that they weren't hiring me by the three weeks of silence.

lol i got one last week from a job i applied to five months ago

like, why the gently caress are you even bothering at that point? are you trying to be insulting?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i mean im in produc tmanagement now and i see a lot of my coworkers constantly looking busy in excel for like 10 hours a day and i have no idea what they're doing. i waste a buch of time browsing the pos and all my programs are going well so idk

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone is dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Our bizarre promotion process has the following features

1) I apply for promotion with a self eval and peer feedback
2) A committee decides on it
3) They give that decision to my manager, who can choose whether or not to appeal it
4) Two weeks pass while my manager is not allowed to tell me what the current status is
5) Once possible appeals are done then I hear the final news

This basically forces us into this awkward situation where I have to communicate that, should I happen to need an appeal, here are some things that I think happen to support my case that weren't in my initial self assessment, but maybe I don't need an appeal...

just work somewhere else for a year then come back

or just work somewhere else

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Progressive JPEG posted:

This is a much simpler path to promotion.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

ShadowHawk posted:

Our bizarre promotion process has the following features

1) I apply for promotion with a self eval and peer feedback
2) A committee decides on it
3) They give that decision to my manager, who can choose whether or not to appeal it
4) Two weeks pass while my manager is not allowed to tell me what the current status is
5) Once possible appeals are done then I hear the final news

This basically forces us into this awkward situation where I have to communicate that, should I happen to need an appeal, here are some things that I think happen to support my case that weren't in my initial self assessment, but maybe I don't need an appeal...

i thought they could tell you if it was/wasn't appealed - or at least frequently tell you anyway.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my favorite rejection letter story:

i was working at some place and their internal recruiter just pinged one of my friends out of the blue. he asked me "hey should I work there" and I went "nah it's not that great, don't move here unless you really hate where you are" so he emails back to the recruiter a "thanks but no thanks"

four weeks later he opens his mailbox and finds a rejection letter for a job he didn't even apply for :stare:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

minivanmegafun posted:

my favorite rejection letter story:

i was working at some place and their internal recruiter just pinged one of my friends out of the blue. he asked me "hey should I work there" and I went "nah it's not that great, don't move here unless you really hate where you are" so he emails back to the recruiter a "thanks but no thanks"

four weeks later he opens his mailbox and finds a rejection letter for a job he didn't even apply for :stare:

recruiters are scum

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

goongratulations

my start date got pushed out a week because they don't have a computer for me yet

other than the whole not getting paid thing congrats on the freee week vacation

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Stymie posted:

dunning kruger kind of breaks down when there's no meaningful difference between competence and incompetence such as with computer touching

when i hit 30 i had this epiphany that I spent my 20s working my rear end off when i could have probably slacked off the entire time and still been on a similar, if more muted, career trajectory as a mediocre computer toucher :smith:

the job will not save you, etc

Progressive JPEG posted:

or just work somewhere else

this is what I am going to tell any of my coworkers that don't get promotions this round

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Just had a pretty good technical phone screen, but I need some kind of one-liner about moving onto next steps.

"Alright, what's next?"

lol, I didn't say that but what one-liners do you guys use to wrap things up after a decent technical screen?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Just had a pretty good technical phone screen, but I need some kind of one-liner about moving onto next steps.

"Alright, what's next?"

lol, I didn't say that but what one-liners do you guys use to wrap things up after a decent technical screen?

I usually go with, "so what do next steps look like?"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"In terms of process, what's going to happen to my application from here? Will you get back to me, will HR"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it was great talking to you, i look forward to hearing from your recruiter about where we go from here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no, you hang up first
no, you hang up first

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
i love u more

no i love u more

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
hehehe, gracias goons. You're making me look better already.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

no, you hang up first
no, you hang up first

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
I have a rly bad habit of saying "okay, see ya later" whenever I say goodbye to anyone, and it comes off super horribly in interviews because then I'm just a smug rear end in a top hat who thinks it's a foregone conclusion that I'll be moving forward

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
Graduating from school looking for electrical engineering jobs and it sucks. All the job postings seem to want at least a masters degree, and of the ones I have applied to, one got back to me.

In their supplemental application they want 7 years of rental history. Why would they ever want that?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

semon demon posted:

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

:yotj:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PapaLazarou posted:

In their supplemental application they want 7 years of rental history. Why would they ever want that?

:redflag:

edit: oh poo poo that emote actually works

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PapaLazarou posted:

:siren: RUN :siren:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

"Alright, what's next?"

when does the bathing suit portion of the contest begin?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PapaLazarou posted:

sounds like a background check. did you authorize one?

($newjob wanted ten years from me but it was after they'd already made an offer and I was desperate so I did it. job is great.)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

raminasi posted:

sounds like a background check. did you authorize one?

($newjob wanted ten years from me but it was after they'd already made an offer and I was desperate so I did it. job is great.)

well did you do any bad stuff in the 10th grade?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at redhat, background checks were super important because 9 times out of 10, the applicant would send in a screenshot of KDE with some waifu visible behind the layers of compositing. no thanks.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Как пропатчить KDE2 под FreeBSD?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
applied on sat, contact weds, schedule phone screen for thurs and they say just come in, in person thurs, offer thurs night, accepted weds

solid interview experience would do again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:eyepop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

at redhat, background checks were super important because 9 times out of 10, the applicant would send in a screenshot of KDE with some waifu visible behind the layers of compositing. no thanks.

lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

yeah i think the r/relationship thread in gbs bought that one

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

yeah i think the r/relationship thread in gbs bought that one

I believe that's correct, along with :murder:

the fact that they can be applied to abusive relationships and abusive employers is uh something.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i always wonder where those people go, or try to go to

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
not sure how related this is but the company i left a year ago just sent me an email welcoming me to my first day

:madmax:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my goth gf posted:

not sure how related this is but the company i left a year ago just sent me an email welcoming me to my first day

:madmax:

i hope you start getting a paycheck

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PapaLazarou posted:

Graduating from school looking for electrical engineering jobs and it sucks. All the job postings seem to want at least a masters degree, and of the ones I have applied to, one got back to me.

Like are you including any firmware/software stuff in there or are you strictly looking for signal janitoring positions? Pure HW positions are kinda rare so it may take you a while to find the right one. If you're careful, you could go for a technician position, there are certain teams where moving from technician to engineering positions is very possible (but also teams where that will never, ever happen).

It may seem like all the postings are for super-senior positions, but that's mostly because the more senior positions take a long-rear end time to find someone for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PapaLazarou posted:

at the place i work at the standard application form has an appendix that's basically authorizing them to run a background check and includes a place to write in your SSN. i was honestly just applying to fulfill my weekly quota of applications for unemployment, so i just laughed and left that part off when i submitted the application. like hell i'm giving out my SSN to every fuckin' company i sling an application at

funny thing is i think that scored me points with my boss

• Locked thread