Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Don't forget that it will make even less people want to bother with the already rarely used naval game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm curious what they are going to do in Hungary.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is the new expansion worth it if you literally never play Asian countries?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ZombieLenin posted:

Is the new expansion worth it if you literally never play Asian countries?

The new and improved macro builder is really good. Age mechanics and Golden Eras are good, and are mostly relevant for Europe if that's where you usually play.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the Age of Absolutism goal to win the religious war broken if you win the war before Absolutism started? I'm trying to figure out if this is an artifact of playing a pre-Mandate Prussia game that's been jankily converted over, or if it's a real bug. But I went Protestant and won the HRE's religious war to make Protestant the state religion of the HRE (and was emperor, and was near to revoking the privilegia) before Global Trade spawned and before Mandate came out. Once Mandate hit, I waited for Global Trade to spawn, waited for the Age of Absolutism to start, and then sadly enough it's 0/1 for that goal.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Naval stuff is like the water level of 2d platformers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Is the Age of Absolutism goal to win the religious war broken if you win the war before Absolutism started? I'm trying to figure out if this is an artifact of playing a pre-Mandate Prussia game that's been jankily converted over, or if it's a real bug. But I went Protestant and won the HRE's religious war to make Protestant the state religion of the HRE (and was emperor, and was near to revoking the privilegia) before Global Trade spawned and before Mandate came out. Once Mandate hit, I waited for Global Trade to spawn, waited for the Age of Absolutism to start, and then sadly enough it's 0/1 for that goal.

I got the impression the Age of Absolutism goal was supposed to apply retroactively since the Religious League war will be resolved one way or another before the Age of Reformation ends. Now, it sounds like you're saying you won the war before the DLC, so my guess is it doesn't work in that specific circumstance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcturas posted:

I'm trying to figure out if this is an artifact of playing a pre-Mandate Prussia game that's been jankily converted over,
I think you answered your own question.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ooh, Yuan has a great color.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I was playing as Bengal this morning, trying to test out the AE mechanics as a Ming tributary. I took land from Pegu and Ava and the tooltip told me that only Ava would be mad enough at me to form a coalition. I thought that would be a good way to see if it made people mad at Ming or at me.

Turns out that the tooltip completely lied and the entirety of Southeast Asia formed a coalition and declared war on me within the year. I've never had the coalition tooltip be wrong to this extent before, has anyone else had a similar issue?

I did notice that there was a small update this morning (~7MB), did they try to hotfix the Ming AE bug and create an entirely new one?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I had a similar issue as a Daimyo where it didn't show AE with other Daimyos in the peace screen, only the Shogun. Ended up with a nasty coalition from it.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

canepazzo posted:

Does Ottomans losing cores on Dulkadir and Ramazan slow them any?

When I did Aragon->Roman Empire I reduced the Ottomans to just Sudan, Yemen and Prussia which gives you an idea of just much losing 13% CCR and a couple measly cores screws them up: not in the slightest.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

thatdarnedbob posted:

I reduced the Ottomans to just Sudan, Yemen and Prussia

I really hope you meant Persia

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tahirovic posted:

Weird, that one triggered for me as Japan but I am having the problem now with Korea that it's not triggering. Do you have Okinawa?

You can't get that as a tributary state right now. Don't know if it's WAD.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Mehrunes posted:

Unite your culture from the reformation age isn't triggering for me as Japan. I have every province with a japanese culture group and every province in the japan region just in case the description isn't right.

My money is on you forgetting about Ryukyu. They'll be a Ming tributary, but you should be able to blockade your way to enough warscore.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Sephyr posted:

I managed to scrape some change together and got the Cossacks expansion (didn't need as many pan meds after dental surgery after all).

Holy balls, it changes the game a lot. Favors seem to accumulate at a snail's pace, and no one will move, even to attack a hated rival, if you don't have any. I'm told the accrue over time, by giving allies land, and by fighting in their wars. Do you have to flip occupied territories to them or not to get the favors? I've seen both things being alleged.

I just make sure that when I promise territory to an ally, I give them just enough territory to turn that red thumb down in the peace screen next to their flag into a green thumbs up. Otherwise they get fairly pissed at you because you promised them territory and reneged.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The way the Manchu banners work is really weird, but I think I've got it. When you raise a banner unit the game looks at your current existing number of infantry and cavalry units compared to your maximum allowed inf/cav ratio and then creates units to fulfill this ratio.

For example, I wanted to create some new armies to fight the Ottos around 1730 - a time when cav are total trash and will just get murdered in the fire phase so I'm looking for infantry units. I built up an enormous number of cavalry units the normal way. Then I raised the banner armies. Because I had about 100 infantry and 200 cavalry existing at the time the game looked at that and said 'oh, the next 100 infantry units I create should be infantry so that we have the 50/50 ratio you are allowed'. If I had raised up say 150 banner units at that time the first 100 would be infantry to bring me to 200/200 then the next 50 would be 25/25.

After you build up your banner infantry you can just disband the normal cavalry units and keep the banners, but you'll have to go through this process every time you want to expand your banner army.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Yashichi posted:

I really hope you meant Persia

haha no i did not

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Anyone getting mileage out of state edicts? Other than the -unrest one you can buy in first Age I've been completely ignoring them. It feels like too much of a hassle to click on three or four buttons for each state for marginal effects, and you have to remember to cancel them...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I agree with it being a pain in the rear end to micromanage, but I've been getting a fair bit of use out of some of them. The trade power one can pay for its self, the missionary strength one is sometimes necessary. I can see the fort defense one being very helpful sometimes too, although I haven't actually used it yet.

I've also been using the development one every single time I develop. Incidentally, is it just me or is development actually pretty strong this patch? Maybe it's just since I've never played this way before. I'm doing a Japan game, and normally I go balls to the wall colonial no matter where I am, but I decided that this time I'd avoid that totally, and just sit on my islands developing until I felt like I could take Ming. Well, turned out a lot easier than I expected. The edict + prosperity + burghers + economic ideas + consistently great monarchs (I still think disinheriting is brokenly overpowered) and I got to be the second rank great power without taking a single inch of land outside the Japanese islands. Plus it's without using tons of states, and it's all constantly prosperous and with buildings and manufactories on everything. Not gonna pretend it's the best strategy but I'm surprised at how viable it is, I don't feel especially less wealthy than my normal trade empire games in this part of the game, and I"m entirely contained in one trade node. Plus I got to take way better idea groups instead of being saddled with having to take exploration, expansion or religious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Redmark posted:

Anyone getting mileage out of state edicts? Other than the -unrest one you can buy in first Age I've been completely ignoring them. It feels like too much of a hassle to click on three or four buttons for each state for marginal effects, and you have to remember to cancel them...

The institute spread one seems useful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sephyr posted:

Also, the estates are a nice addition. Is there a downside to just partitioning your whole territory over to them? Should I keep some in reserve to appease factions due to random events? About to try my first Brandenburg Run on order to get the Germany achievement.

The safest way of dealing with Estates is to give them the minimum amount of provinces to keep them happy and to fork over trade nodes and other high trade value provinces to the Merchants. If you're Eastern tech group then you should also try to get at least 4 provinces under Cossack control because you get 15%-20% Cavalry combat ability for free and the option to raise a host if you need it.

It's one of those mechanics where you can do the bare minimum and passively benefit from the bonuses or you can fiddle with it more and get even more out of it but you'll have to keep a closer eye on it or it might bite you in the rear end.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Redmark posted:

Yep, super helpful for my new Hamburg game. +50% trade power!

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Activating the -10% development cost one in the state where you intend to spawn an institution with development seems like a no-brainer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've used the lower autonomy one, though it is a bit weak. Most of them seem situationally useful.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Drakhoran posted:

Activating the -10% development cost one in the state where you intend to spawn an institution with development seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah, that one is really good. So is the missionary +1%. Edicts are okay, they're kind of a good feature, kind of bloat. I wish I could tell them to expire after a certain amount of time, or after a certain goal has been reached (all provinces the true religion, a province begins seeding an institution, etc.)

Do they make courthouses worth it now? I'm thinking not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've had some states reach over a ducat a month in maintenance, meaning that the courthouse would at least pay for itself in relatively short order. May not be worth the slot over other buildings, though.

edit: I actually know very little about how state maintenance works. Maintenance values seem largely arbitrary to me. When a courthouse is built, the modifier wording makes it sound like it affects the entire state's maintenance. Does it, or does it only affect the maintenance contribution from the province it's built in?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Perhaps a little green flag notifying you of active edicts similar to the claims you have would make the feature a lot more useable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yami Fenrir posted:

Perhaps a little green flag notifying you of active edicts similar to the claims you have would make the feature a lot more useable.

There is a map mode, but yeah, it's a bit annoying.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Dirk the Average posted:

There is a map mode, but yeah, it's a bit annoying.

Well, the problem is that I've already got a huge competition for the map mode slots - and even then, you'd have to turn that on, instead of having a reminder.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I like the state edicts a lot. I've wanted to feature like this for a long time.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I didn't know that if your war leader ally is completely occupied, after a few years it'll automatically swing warscore to -100% even if you're winning the war otherwise. Is this documented somewhere? Would this have allowed the enemy to take my land if they wanted, or does it not affect separate peace?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's a 5 year period, and they can only take your stuff if they've occupied it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone else notice an issue where the AI isn't building buildings? I just took a bite out of france, noticed that the land I took had nothing built on it, and then looked around and saw that france built no buildings at all except for a couple of barracks, and neither did England, Aragon, and a bunch of other major European powers. A lot of german minors did build stuff, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone else notice an issue where the AI isn't building buildings? I just took a bite out of france, noticed that the land I took had nothing built on it, and then looked around and saw that france built no buildings at all except for a couple of barracks, and neither did England, Aragon, and a bunch of other major European powers. A lot of german minors did build stuff, though.

Major powers have armies and fleets to buy and reinforce because they fight wars, German minors can save their money for decades at a time and blow it on dry docks or whatever because they aren't doing poo poo with it otherwise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've had some states reach over a ducat a month in maintenance, meaning that the courthouse would at least pay for itself in relatively short order. May not be worth the slot over other buildings, though.

edit: I actually know very little about how state maintenance works. Maintenance values seem largely arbitrary to me. When a courthouse is built, the modifier wording makes it sound like it affects the entire state's maintenance. Does it, or does it only affect the maintenance contribution from the province it's built in?

Each province in a state contributes to state maintenance cost as a function of that province's total development and distance from your capital. Provinces with non-accepted cultures get a +25% maintenance penalty and provinces on a different continent from your capital also get a +25% maintenance penalty.

Courthouses only reduce that province's contribution to the entire state's maintenance, but that's okay because in the cases where your state maintenance is high, most of a state's maintenance is likely coming from just 1-2 really big provinces anyway (although sometimes that's not the case). They pay for themselves pretty quickly if you're, say, Ethiopia and want to core some of the insanely high-dev Spice Islands provinces

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Considering the massive improvements to the macro menu, I'm shocked that they didn't add a state edict tab to it as well. As it is they have the same problems that buildings used to have, in that they're just too tedious and micromanagey to bother with regularly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The +25% manpower edict seems pretty clutch for countries that are rich. That's a huge boost. For comparison, the adviser only gives +10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've finally got a viable game going, and I made it up to the point where I can get my first idea, and I have no idea what out of the many, many options to go for. Any advice?

For some background, I'm doing a game as Austria, and I've made my long-term goal so far to be making sure Italy stays in imperial hands, and I may have been a bit too quick to annex Venice's continental holdings. I get that there's some aggressive expansion modifier, but I have no idea where you go to look at it or figure out how to pace yourself. So far as I can tell Romagna's the last province I need to grab, and I've still got 20 years to get that done. There's been a big ol' coalition formed against me that I need to watch out for, and Bavaria seems stronger than I'd like.

Also I may have panicked a bit too much about not having a ready heir and declared a daughter to be my successor, which I eventually figured out was the reason why every elector has -1000+ opinion of me, but it turns out there's a decision I'll be able to make to rectify that eventually. It did feel briefly liberating to not have to worry about electors for a while.

• Locked thread