Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How was that hosed up. That was a golden ticket to an A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Soulex posted:

How was that hosed up. That was a golden ticket to an A

Of course it is, not saying that you should punch a gift-horse in the dick, but it's also a complete joke by academic standards in college.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Of course it is, not saying that you should punch a gift-horse in the dick, but it's also a complete joke by academic standards in college.

Normally I would agree with you but this class focuses around media literacy and communication processes so it's actually relevant. Other classes I still wouldn't care. Most of the poo poo in these lower division classes are word memorization and I'm not good with that.

Literally, my class at 0800 is talking together about different media forms and what is happening with it and ad naseum.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This test was our symbolic convergence. It could have been smaller groups but we all agreed that we would do better as a team. The teacher loved the idea and rolled with it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Aww gently caress

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Give him the shame cone!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have a meeting next week to discuss student veteran issues with an MP. I know most of you are American, and you already get better educational benefits but are there any general improvements to getting vets through school I might bring up?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gently caress im so sorry guys

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a meeting next week to discuss student veteran issues with an MP. I know most of you are American, and you already get better educational benefits but are there any general improvements to getting vets through school I might bring up?
Tell you want to bring your battle buddy blow-up doll to class with you for moral support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Modchallenge: post a (censored) pic of you in class with a camouflage backpack or I'm giving you a terrible custom title.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hey guys, just wanted you to know that I completed some JKO SERE training and I'm basically Bear Grylls now and ready to head out Into the Wild (TM)

E: holy poo poo wrong thread. Point still stands.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 10, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Tell you want to bring your battle buddy blow-up doll to class with you for moral support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It loses all effect when the crossed out part is second..

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris posted:

Modchallenge: post a (censored) pic of you in class with a camouflage backpack or I'm giving you a terrible custom title.

still stands

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

It loses all effect when the crossed out part is second..

Battle buddy blow up doll sounds like something Larry Flynt would send in a care package to troops overseas. There's a goldmine of alliterative puns there too, camo cum dump, commander cum catcher...

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Holy gently caress, not again. It's five minutes 'til, there's supposed to be an exam today, and there's nobody here.

WHAT THE gently caress

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Holy gently caress, not again. It's five minutes 'til, there's supposed to be an exam today, and there's nobody here.

WHAT THE gently caress

If you're only wearing your underwear, you might be asleep.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I definitely have my pants on. :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

I definitely have my pants on. :stare:

Wake up

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Check the room number again, sometimes exams are held in bigger rooms than normal so you can't cheat.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nah, it was the regular ol' place. These idiots just love showing up at the last second to give me a heart attack. gently caress me, that exam was awful.

I need to go take a walk in the park or something, this poo poo is stressful as gently caress.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

Nah, it was the regular ol' place. These idiots just love showing up at the last second to give me a heart attack. gently caress me, that exam was awful.

I need to go take a walk in the park or something, this poo poo is stressful as gently caress.

I was thinking about it a couple weeks ago and school seems to make me feel more stressed out than the military ever did.

Which doesn't make much sense considering the military stressed me to the point of trying to kill my self.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It alternates between relaxing and terrible.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Turned in the last soul-crushing group project and did the presentation yesterday, then got horrendously hammered.

The loving gall of some of these kids...phone in the whole loving effort, then complain afterwards when the clients that they did the presentation in front of dare to tell the professor that they were "severely underwhelmed".

One last project is still due, and it's only with one colossally lazy (possibly dumb) chick that picked me as a partner because she knew a) I had a 4.0 gpa and b) the professor liked me. She is under the assumption that this will save her in the sales presentation, where our professor grades us individually.

It really looks like I'm keeping my Summa Cum Laude, so I might just phone in everything in the two remaining classes. If I stop going to class entirely for both of them, and skip the final exam, it'll only drop me to 80.9% in one class, and 82% in the other one.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

New art. Both still life compositions with charcoal.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finished my AAS in Information Systems last term and have been trying to transfer to an Applied Baccalaureate at a local university. Basically instead of the typical BA/BS this takes your associates degree and chops off the freshman/sophmore year at the university. Sounded like a great plan to begin with but my first term (summer) registration opened up and I literally cannot find a single class to go to. On top of that, the only adviser I have is one of the CS/IS professors (ostensibly a professor of fucktardery) who is way less than helpful. I loving hate this school and am ready to just be done with my education because I'm so frustrated. That's my school story. Wah wah wah.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I finished my AAS in Information Systems last term and have been trying to transfer to an Applied Baccalaureate at a local university. Basically instead of the typical BA/BS this takes your associates degree and chops off the freshman/sophmore year at the university. Sounded like a great plan to begin with but my first term (summer) registration opened up and I literally cannot find a single class to go to. On top of that, the only adviser I have is one of the CS/IS professors (ostensibly a professor of fucktardery) who is way less than helpful. I loving hate this school and am ready to just be done with my education because I'm so frustrated. That's my school story. Wah wah wah.

This is not entirely unexpected, Most universities assume most students start in the Fall, so they will offer the first step along the path then, which is not awesome if you are coming in at an abnormal time, but there are only so many resources available at any given time.
It may be useful to talk to the vet rep at your school about working with you to put together a plan towards graduation (which is something they probably should have done anyway, but hey) so that you have a relatively clear idea of what boxes you are going to need to check to get your degree.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Soulex posted:

New art. Both still life compositions with charcoal.

:discourse:

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReverendCode posted:

This is not entirely unexpected, Most universities assume most students start in the Fall, so they will offer the first step along the path then, which is not awesome if you are coming in at an abnormal time, but there are only so many resources available at any given time.
It may be useful to talk to the vet rep at your school about working with you to put together a plan towards graduation (which is something they probably should have done anyway, but hey) so that you have a relatively clear idea of what boxes you are going to need to check to get your degree.

This is totally reasonable advice. Here's the reality though. The one vet rep is a student who can't be bothered to even tell me what paperwork I need to request benefits, let alone provide any real assistance. This sucks because the community college has several dedicated veteran services employees that are very well versed in what they do. The university has degree works so I can clearly see what I need but my advisor (an army patriot missle operator vet, no less) glibly informed me that it's very inaccurate for my degree. I've been trying to schedule a time to sit down with him to go over this for several weeks with no success. Expecting either of these dudes to actually be like "this is what you should do/take" would be like asking a chimp to do calculus. It might be worth pointing out here that this is the bottom of the barrel 4 year school in Oregon. Why am I going here? Because if I took my degree anywhere else it would be considered a terminal associates and I would basically be starting over on the undergrad which isn't something I'm interested in doing. This school and it's magical AB degree seemed too good to be true and I'm starting to suspect that the whole thing is just a bullshit contrivance degree.

As for the summer thing, yea. Frustrating but not entirely unexpected. It's just annoying because the community college I've been going to offers a metric fuckton of courses summer term. It might also be worth noting that I tried to start this term (spring) but ended up just filling my schedule at the community college with transfer classes because again, the university didn't really offer much this term.

I appreciate the advice, I do. Unfortunately I have pretty much exhausted these realistic options and am now just venting on the internet to you fine folks about it.

gently caress.

gently caress.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Ahem... Sorry, I got started typing that and that happened. I'm sure most of you understand the feeling.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 12, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man priority registration rules, all my class next semester start at nine or 1030 and get out before 12.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

This is totally reasonable advice. Here's the reality though. The one vet rep is a student who can't be bothered to even tell me what paperwork I need to request benefits, let alone provide any real assistance. This sucks because the community college has several dedicated veteran services employees that are very well versed in what they do. The university has degree works so I can clearly see what I need but my advisor (an army patriot missle operator vet, no less) glibly informed me that it's very inaccurate for my degree. I've been trying to schedule a time to sit down with him to go over this for several weeks with no success. Expecting either of these dudes to actually be like "this is what you should do/take" would be like asking a chimp to do calculus. It might be worth pointing out here that this is the bottom of the barrel 4 year school in Oregon. Why am I going here? Because if I took my degree anywhere else it would be considered a terminal associates and I would basically be starting over on the undergrad which isn't something I'm interested in doing. This school and it's magical AB degree seemed too good to be true and I'm starting to suspect that the whole thing is just a bullshit contrivance degree.

As for the summer thing, yea. Frustrating but not entirely unexpected. It's just annoying because the community college I've been going to offers a metric fuckton of courses summer term. It might also be worth noting that I tried to start this term (spring) but ended up just filling my schedule at the community college with transfer classes because again, the university didn't really offer much this term.

I appreciate the advice, I do. Unfortunately I have pretty much exhausted these realistic options and am now just venting on the internet to you fine folks about it.

gently caress.

gently caress.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Ahem... Sorry, I got started typing that and that happened. I'm sure most of you understand the feeling.

Well fortunately you have up to a year from your date of enrollment to start your benefits and get backpay. Do you still have any electives required or is it all core classes? If they dont offer what you need it might be time to withdraw before the complete refund date, get in contact with your VA office, and get all of this lined up before the fall starts.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's all core. Luckily I have not filed request for benefits since I have no registered classes. If I can't find anything then I'll just push admission till fall and fall in. Really, I'm just bitching. I don't like taking breaks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm graduating in a month :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Same. Clown-outfit only needs one more medal.

Also, the amount of pomp that parents fund for their kids graduating blows my mind.

Senior/graduation photos costing 1200 dollars because you're paying a professional photographer for an entire day to take pictures in four different locations seems perfectly fine, same as renting out the entire loving elk lodge for a private reception after commencement like your kid is getting married.

A friendship got destroyed because of that dumb elk lodge, because one person I know got the deal, but reserved for two extra hours or something, so the following time slots got cancelled, and now her friend's family had to rent a smaller room in a downtown hotel.

OH, THE SHAME, THE HUMANITY

I feel like I'm in an episode of super sweet sixteen

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I skipped all that poo poo and bought myself a Barrett M82A1 as a self graduation present :smugdog:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You're doing it right, my man.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Rat posted:

I skipped all that poo poo and bought myself a Barrett M82A1 as a self graduation present :smugdog:

:lol: poo poo 'chyea.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:q: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810535

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Still extremely jealous. After I got through your thread my doctor told me to cut down the sodium in my diet.