Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

theflyingexecutive posted:

the question I asked was "what's it called when you mix *1 and *2?"

a good time or a john belushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lol.

Unless you're moving tons of it across the border, I can't imagine anyone other than you who would care.

Your phone is malfunctioning. Get it checked or replace it.

Don't forget to put foil on your windows. That's how they really find you.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
ikea iot lamps ("trådfri") are a security non-fuckup? https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/47803.html

loving ikea does it correctly? :confused::confused::confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

ikea iot lamps ("trådfri") are a security non-fuckup? https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/47803.html

im entirely unsurprised to be fair

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

the question I asked was "what's it called when you mix *1 and *2?"

the aristocrats

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

flosofl posted:

Lol.

Unless you're moving tons of it across the border, I can't imagine anyone other than you who would care.

Your phone is malfunctioning. Get it checked or replace it.

Don't forget to put foil on your windows. That's how they really find you.

like I said, I'm not, I think I just got caught up in broader surveillance in an area of interest

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wheany posted:

it is not actually difficult to use the barest level of security standards in your products, despite what most IOT companies want to pretend.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

like I said, I'm not, I think I just got caught up in broader surveillance in an area of interest
isn't the whole point of a stingray location without detection?

it sets up like a tower that looks REALLY good to one IMEI and convinces it to turn the gain up to 11, it doesn't impact services?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

not sure why you'd expect ikea specifically to mess this up, while they build stuff down to a price they are rather particular about control over the things they put in their stores

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

depending on how good the encryption and tunneling are, some mid-range and below stingrays blot out the more heavily encrypted bands for snooping, which is fine if you're trying to sniff calls and SMS

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

im the lamp with 100MBit ethernet and a Silicon Labs Zigbee chipset

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not even gigabit? the gently caress is that piece of poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it is best for everyone involved that iot devices do not have gigabit ethernet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sorry, I'm just catching up, but the theory is that law enforcement blew an obvious zero-day in response to a question to Siri about drugs?

really?

like, the idea that they even see Siri questions, let alone in real time, is ridiculous enough

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah it's pretty loving dumb.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my DoorDash delivery driver hacked my baseband because he found out the tip was only 20%

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

my DoorDash delivery driver hacked my baseband because he found out the tip was only 20%

We're not at cyberpunk 2020 yet

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I texted my contact at a new york weed delivery service and said I wanted some weed. He texted back "ok, be at <my address> in 45minutes." Then he showed up in about 45 minutes and I bought drugs. Welp that's my story of buying drugs, which has been pretty standard since the early 2000's.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

slower network services is where it's at for iot. nb-iot is going to peak at 250kbps!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

sorry, I'm just catching up, but the theory is that law enforcement blew an obvious zero-day in response to a question to Siri about drugs?

really?

like, the idea that they even see Siri questions, let alone in real time, is ridiculous enough

Calling it a theory is a bit of a stretch.

Paranoid delusions?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

Paranoid delusions?

you would say that :tinfoil:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

you would say that :tinfoil:

:nsa:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I was reading this thread and then the FBI knocked on my door and asked about someone with the alias theflyingexecutive. They seemed really interested in who he knows that could obtain small quantities of marijuana.

What corners of the internet can't the surveillance state reach?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fritz posted:

i dont know what *1 and *2 are

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/index.php?date=103006

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I texted my contact at a new york weed delivery service and said I wanted some weed. He texted back "ok, be at <my address> in 45minutes." Then he showed up in about 45 minutes and I bought drugs. Welp that's my story of buying drugs, which has been pretty standard since the early 2000's.

that's so 2010, he should have his own app by now

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wheany posted:

Ikea is actually really good about security and safety, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

They're the Apple of low-end furniture.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/newschannelnine/status/851942944386949120

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Ikea is actually really good about security and safety, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

They're the Apple of low-end furniture.

ikea is cheap particle board garbage, but it's the best possible cheap particle board garbage

that's not even a back-handed compliment. really good furniture that isn't ridiculously expensive basically doesn't exist anymore so i just buy ikea and most of it has held up really well (aside from a malm bed, which i just got sick of putting together after moves)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:stare:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

I was reading this thread and then the FBI knocked on my door and asked about someone with the alias theflyingexecutive. They seemed really interested in who he knows that could obtain small quantities of marijuana.

What corners of the internet can't the surveillance state reach?

lol I live in Brooklyn, a dude literally threw a free eighth into my moving van window my first week here

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

just for fun question: can a stingray remotely update your iPhone radio firmware, kick you off wifi, and tunnel all your info through the fake cell tower?

no

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

depending on how good the encryption and tunneling are, some mid-range and below stingrays blot out the more heavily encrypted bands for snooping, which is fine if you're trying to sniff calls and SMS

srsly dude don't get so paranoid, you don't know what you're talking about but it's OK, listen to the people who do, calm down no one's running cutting edge surveillance on you or anyone in your vicinity

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 12, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
well, i am

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

pr0zac posted:

srsly dude don't get so paranoid, you don't know what you're talking about but it's OK, listen to the people who do, calm down no one's running cutting edge surveillance on you or anyone in your vicinity

Most (really all) people who post in this thread will never be the target of such attacks. Even though I do have legitimate and founded fears about certain actors and my line of work, the use of a Stingray is far down the list and should be for anyone else.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pr0zac posted:

u/p combo

and I scheduled a Genius Bar appt to look at my radio too, s'all good

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

u/p combo

and I scheduled a Genius Bar appt to look at my radio too, s'all good

Please be a normal human being for the retail facing person who has to deal with whatever nonsense they see daily.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

please let a mental health professional look at your brain instead of apple looking at your phone

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Please be a normal human being for the retail facing person who has to deal with whatever nonsense they see daily.

The security fuckup is asking a goon to be a normal human being.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

spankmeister posted:

please let a mental health professional look at your brain instead of apple looking at your phone

they've already tried :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OSI bean dip posted:

trust me they're inured to it

• Locked thread