Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
While I am kinda bummed I didn't get to check out MGC, I got to stay with my friend this weekend in his cabin near Dubuque and meet with some old and new friends from Dubuque, Madison, St Louis, and Chicago. We finally got the old modded Konami 573 working with a proper sync converter to display properly to the cabinet's Kortek CRT. It was really fun to play the DDR mixes of my youth again, namely 3rd Korean V2, 4th Plus, 5th (that sweet sweet 60fps), and MAX2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just ordered some high quality end-labels for my N64 games off Etsy. I am so so pleased with the results :dance:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

How well do those labels play when you take the cart apart to clean?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've heard the Sega CD version of Eternal Champions is actually somewhat competent, though not being into super gory fighters to begin with, I haven't investigated this to any extent.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shadow Hog posted:

I've heard the Sega CD version of Eternal Champions is actually somewhat competent, though not being into super gory fighters to begin with, I haven't investigated this to any extent.

It's the version to play. It's not a stellar game but it's pretty good.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Sega CD version has some minor revising that makes the game into a passable SF2 style fighter if you're into that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shadow Hog posted:

The load times, though. Eeeeeugh.

EC was a fun game to play with a friend, but it handles like a less polished SNK fighter.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So a friend of mine and I are trying to determine how many games were made based on Stallone movies. So far we have:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Cliffhanger (multiplatform)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky (2002 release, PS2 GCN XB)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

Any others? Any uncommon platforms?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 11, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

shyduck posted:

So a friend of mine and I are trying to determine how many games were made based on Stallone movies. So far we have:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

They made a terrible Rambo game on 360 a few years ago.

Also there's a Cobra C64 game with good music.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

Also there's a Cobra C64 game with good music.

There's a C64 Rambo - First Blood Part II as well that's different from the NES and SMS games.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think Judge Dredd got a SNES tie-in

Carmageddon should count as a Death Race 2000 game

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Contra sort of counts as a Rambo video game. :)

Edit - there was an Expendables game for PS3/360

Unfortunately we never got that Stop, or my Mom Will Shoot shmup we all wanted

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

I think Judge Dredd got a SNES tie-in

It did.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

Contra sort of counts as a Rambo video game. :)

Unfortunately we never got that Stop, or my Mom Will Shoot shmup we all wanted

I never knew I wanted Estelle Getty Touhou before...

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

shyduck posted:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

There was a Rocky game on Coleco in 83
Rocky 2002 had a sequel, Rocky Legends in 2004, PS2 and Xbox
Real Boxing 2 had a tie in to Creed

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

shyduck posted:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

There was Rambo III for the Mega Drive

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shyduck posted:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

There are multiple games based on Rambo 3 (dedicated to those brave Mujaheddin fighters as well, I'm sure).

Oh, and we can't forget Death Race!

There have to be a few games based on movies where he provided a voice but damned if I can remember any of them.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

shyduck posted:

If you're just looking at consoles you're always going to have a gaping hole from computers and arcade. There's Rambo games for MSX and Cobra for Spectrum, for instance.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

rdbbb posted:

If you're just looking at consoles you're always going to miss a ton on computers. There's Rambo games for MSX and Cobra for Spectrum, for instance.

Totally unrelated, but I hear tell you might be a Joel man and not a Mike man, and that makes me like you more.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I heard someone thinks I'm the opposite, but the truth is I don't care either way but as a kid used to like Mike a lot because I thought I looked like him

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

There have to be a few games based on movies where he provided a voice but damned if I can remember any of them.

Antz got a racing game for the Playstation.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 11, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Spy Kids 3-D had a few games, too.

rdbbb posted:

I heard someone thinks I'm the opposite, but the truth is I don't care either way but as a kid used to like Mike a lot because I thought I looked like him

You cannot like Joel and Mike equally. It's like being a fan of both the Sega Genesis AND the Super NES. If you hook up them at the same time your TV will explode.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Island Nation posted:

There was a Rocky game on Coleco in 83
With a special controller!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

rdbbb posted:

Oh well :toot: I was just having a related conversation but if it's not well then FINE :v:

Kid Fenris posted:

You cannot like Joel and Mike equally. It's like being a fan of both the Sega Genesis AND the Super NES. If you hook up them at the same time your TV will explode.

this is a fact, coincidentally

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

shyduck posted:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HyWKU6YwxY

The bar at my old university had one of these. If you hit the launch button without a credit you hear Wesley Snipes shout "No free rides!"

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Caitlin posted:

Totally unrelated, but I hear tell you might be a Joel man and not a Mike man, and that makes me like you more.

I came into MST3K late (didn't see my first episode until about six years ago), but I've tended more toward Joel ever since the convention where Mike told some friends-of-friends that they were going to hell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please include (and also play) broforce as it contains Stallone

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

shyduck posted:

Demolition Man (Sega CD)
Rocky (SMS, others?)
Rocky Balboa (PSP)
Rambo (NES, SMS)
Rambo 2 (SMS)

Everyone forgets Driven.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Claytor posted:

I came into MST3K late (didn't see my first episode until about six years ago), but I've tended more toward Joel ever since the convention where Mike told some friends-of-friends that they were going to hell.

If you want to rile Joel fans, point out that he has the worst episodes (the rough KTMA ones and most of the first season). If you want to rile Mike fans, point out that he's a conservative Christian.

Related trivia: a canceled MST3K PC title would've included two exclusive shorts and some mini-games. One of the shorts, Assignment: Venezuela, became an extra in one of the MST3K DVD sets. The other short, Mylar: What's It To You?, was apparently lost, but you can watch the original.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2017

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Joel has Pod People and Manos. He also interacted with the scenes more. Donking construction workers on the heads and things.

JOEL FOR LIFE!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Here's the one thing I've always wondered about this, which internet argument is older, Joel vs Mike or Kirk vs Picard? Or is there one even older that I don't know about?

I like Mike a little more, simply because he's more expressive/easier to relate to. Joel took a lot longer for me to get used to.

Edit:
v- Oh come on, Pac-man Collection is not a terrible port, and is okay if you have no other access to Pac-man Arrangement or something.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

so many complete in box gba games at the thrift store. So much licensed garbage.

Did manage to snag an nes classic today though!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm not the biggest MST3K aficionado, but I definitely preferred Joel episodes over those with Mike. Joel's show character always struck me as more genuine - a regular guy in a weird situation not of his own making, coping with it in an ad hoc, sarcastic manner because the alternative would be to go insane. There was a bit more of a character to his role than just being a host and riffer; he was also a person holding his own against the lunacy of his overseers. That bit of subdued conflict added something.

The fact that Joel Hodgson apparently didn't really like the performance element of the show (preferring to produce and stay behind the scenes) might have flavored his character portrayal in a positive manner, too; the theme of the art mirrored in the reality of the performer.

Mike (from what I'm recalling in my head and not changing that by watching any clips) always struck me as being more of a host than anything else. He was too...enthusiastic? That's the impression I'm remembering from catching clips of him back in the day. In retrospect, maybe I picked up on him using the show as a springboard of sorts, something to pad the acting resume and earn him some credentials, rather than a means of performing TV comedy on a shoestring budget.

In short: I think Joel treated the show as a performance set, while Mike treated it more as a career opportunity, and the appeal of the show (to me, at least) was reflected and substantially changed with the latter.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Ordered those Etsy N64 end labels because I had no idea you could order them like that. I saw them on an AVGN episode years ago and just figured it was one of his Internet-friends who made them, had no idea you could just order them.

Lately I got Chopper Attack (N64) and Soviet Strike (Saturn) in the mail. Yeah, nothing fancy but as a kid I loved helicopter shoot-em-up games and these have nostalgia for me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Here's the one thing I've always wondered about this, which internet argument is older, Joel vs Mike or Kirk vs Picard? Or is there one even older that I don't know about?

I like Mike a little more, simply because he's more expressive/easier to relate to. Joel took a lot longer for me to get used to.

Kirk vs. Picard debates have existed as long as Next Generation has so it's got the better part of a decade over the Mike vs. Joel debates. And a few years over Mario vs. Sonic.

To bring this back to retrogames, I recall that one of the Rebel Strike games had an MST3k mode that made fun of the game's own cut scenes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

How well do those labels play when you take the cart apart to clean?

Clean them beforehand and then :shrug:, but while I was putting them on I was able to take them off and re-place them, and they don't rip or tear or anything. They're not plastic, they're vinyl, so they're much much much stronger.

I can imagine you could probably take them off for cleaning, but you may have to use glue to re-adhere them if you did so.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Zaphod42 posted:

Clean them beforehand and then :shrug:, but while I was putting them on I was able to take them off and re-place them, and they don't rip or tear or anything. They're not plastic, they're vinyl, so they're much much much stronger.

I can imagine you could probably take them off for cleaning, but you may have to use glue to re-adhere them if you did so.

That's an important distinction, as it would be the thing that would tip my hand into doing it. I don't have enough of a physical N64 collection (I have maybe 16), but that's rad!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Retro vinyl update:

Zuntata Arcade Classics Vol.2: DARIUS from Ship to Shore, out today for $20 in red or blue:

Limited Run Games will be releasing an exclusive marble variant alongside their Dariusburst PS4 release:

Silent Hill 2x LP from Mondo, out today for $30. (They've also restocked on their Castlevania series vinyl and some other stuff):

Ninja Gaiden: The Definitive Soundtrack Vol. 1 and 2 from Brave Wave, on sale from April 13; each volume is a 2x LP covering two games (NG arcade & NES for Vol.1, N2 & 3 for Vol.2) with music remastered by the original composers and there's a bundle that includes bother with a interview/art booklet, as well as regular and LE box set with more stuff, plus it's releasing to CD and digital as well. There's lots more art at the link, here's the basic records/covers:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is it weird that I like things about Silent Hill and the media associated with it but I can't play the game because it scares the loving bajeezus out of me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Star Man posted:

Is it weird that I like things about Silent Hill and the media associated with it but I can't play the game because it scares the loving bajeezus out of me?

No, the soundtrack specifically is amazing whether you're a horror fan or not. The style of the monsters is generally awesome too.

But man, if you haven't played through Silent Hill 2 you're missing out on one of the greatest video game stories ever.

• Locked thread