Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HaB posted:

By this measure, we'd be hard pressed to call Bed of Chaos a boss too. It's more like a puzzle. Like Dragon God or whatever that one from Demon's is called.

Bed of chaos is required to beat the game. Beating ancient dragon is not. He just gives you an item and you never need return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hey guys whats up just trying to get a pale tongue :^)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the funniest part abt invading is when there are 3-4 people vs. you by yourself and they're still too scared to actually make a move towards you

literally just run at me and there's almost nothing I could do

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

hey guys whats up just trying to get a pale tongue :^)

*points to Darkwraiths*

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

IronicDongz posted:

the funniest part abt invading is when there are 3-4 people vs. you by yourself and they're still too scared to actually make a move towards you

literally just run at me and there's almost nothing I could do
I dunno, sometimes when an invader hops in our password party we just kinda wave and see what he wants to do. If he's all out impatient murderspree then yeah it's on 3v1 with all dirty tricks, estus and seeds, but every now and then he's cool and we a do a bit of 1v1 no estus duelling with the other phantoms/host standing back and throwing voice carvings. Skilled pvp invaders usually do pretty well against us scrubs.

One time one of them handed us a tree seed and helped us killing enemies for a while and then our host got careless and died anyway so he still got his reward.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 11, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Johnny Joestar posted:

any talk of 'worst fight in the series' begins and ends at bed of chaos, no matter what one's opinion of gael is.

Yhorm is worse.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I like the yhorm fight

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cavelcade posted:

Yhorm is worse.

I think Yhorm's a different kind of bad than Bed of Chaos. Bed of Chaos can randomly send you plummeting to your death or get you stuck in a million Firestorm pillars; it's always bullshit. Yhorm is only bullshit the first time you face him, because the game doesn't give you even a vague hint that there's a sword you're meant to kill him with at the other end of the arena (nor does it easily describe how you use it to kill him until you have some time to fumble around with the controls enough); after that, he's just dull.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If you played Demon's Souls, Yhorm is no enigma.

The fight is still terrible because he gets hyped in the intro pretty hard, but mechanically he's bad.

His Area feels unrealized and unfinished as well, but with less copy paste.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The profane capital is unfinished, so yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

At least this time they had the good sense to admit defeat and just make their unfinished area look unfinished instead of filling it with fullbright lava and sticking in ten thousand waddling dragon asses to pad it out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm cool with Yhorm because my first fight with him Siegward pretty much carried me to victory. I don't mind the occasional set piece boss, particularly considering I followed it up with a sudden fight with the dancer while holding a ton of souls, which ended in a very narrow victory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first time through the Bed of Chaos I was in Havel's armor with a spooky skelesword and I was basically a linebacker jumping over roots and twirling around firestorms. I beat it first try and had no idea what all the complaints were about.

Then I got there on my second character and it was like "oh"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RBA Starblade posted:

The Ancient Dragon remains the one boss in the series I haven't beaten and have no desire to try to.

once I solo friede and do the bb chalice dungeons, darklurker + ancient dragon + aldia are all I have left. ugh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mastershakeman posted:

once I solo friede and do the bb chalice dungeons, darklurker + ancient dragon + aldia are all I have left. ugh.

Darklurker is fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Darklurker is fun

Darklurker and Aldia are fairly easy fights as it goes. Darklurker particularly if you've done a lot of pvp in DS2; the timing on his spells is basically the same.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Vermain posted:

I think Yhorm's a different kind of bad than Bed of Chaos. Bed of Chaos can randomly send you plummeting to your death or get you stuck in a million Firestorm pillars; it's always bullshit. Yhorm is only bullshit the first time you face him, because the game doesn't give you even a vague hint that there's a sword you're meant to kill him with at the other end of the arena (nor does it easily describe how you use it to kill him until you have some time to fumble around with the controls enough); after that, he's just dull.

:shrug: I have never felt particularly more frustrated with Bed of Chaos than a bunch of other bosses in the game. Yhorm is worse because he's dull. I get no sense of catharsis from defeating him, nor a sense of anything else to be honest.

Bed of Chaos is probably my least favourite DS1 boss, but I got the satisfied feeling from killing it that I did from killing most other bosses and I was glad it was something different, even if it wasn't perfect. Yhorm was something different but lacking.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

hanales posted:

Bed of chaos is required to beat the game. Beating ancient dragon is not. He just gives you an item and you never need return.

Ancient Dragon is not only optional, the item you get from it is just another Giant soul. Four is enough to beat Vendrick; that last one isn't worth it at all. So really, all you get from the Ancient Dragon is like 100,000 souls.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Funny thing about Yhorm is that if you have a bow or sorceries you can lock on his head and do a lot of damage. I once sunbrod for a sorcerer that was hitting Spears for 4k.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The storm thing probably counts as headshots and that's why it does so much

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

You know what really sucks? Fighting Dancer low-level on minimum specs.

Why yes, I DO want frames to drop in the middle of dodging mad combos. Not random at all!

Tl;dr port sucks

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Vermain posted:

There's a what now :stare:

Stink Terios posted:

Why yes, I DO want frames to drop in the middle of dodging mad combos. Not random at all!

Tl;dr port sucks

Your system chugs on dark souls? Maybe update your system from an e-machines to a hot pentium II gateway.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Oh no. Oh dear. The sword at the end of his hall, the secondary charges it up. Then you hold secondary again once it's glowing white and it fires a ranged attack. If you are aimed at his head it does like 1/4th his health per shot if you upgrade it a couple times.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Uncle w Benefits posted:

pro tip: wolnir also dies faster if you hit the glowing weak spots

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

Tl;dr port sucks
Welcome to my first experiences with the game on PC. :suicide: The situation's not as bad as DS1's was, but the port is still unoptimized such that any dated graphics card will have issues. And even with an up-to-date graphics card (like my RX 470) the game still needs another art pass to not be so washed out. Of all things, loving MadWorld looked better despite having only four or five colors in its entire palette (two of which were just black and white).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I’m kinda surprised poo poo like this happens, honestly. I would figure that at that point in the game, when you come up to a boss that you’re only plinking away at for like 30 damage, you figure that there’s something you’re probably missing in the fight. The only interesting thing in the area is the sword, and the description mentions that its weapon art is particularly useful against Giants. Sounds easy enough to put two and two together, but I guess if you just write it off as some random weapon, maybe not.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The thing that annoyed me with Yhorm on my spoiler-free blind run through the game was an obvious safe spot in the arena for switching weapons. I hadn't developed my skills at switching weapons on the fly, and the game hadn't really given much incentive to clean out the inventory before this point, so I died trying to find and equip the sword I'd just picked up.

This also could have been solved if the top line or two of each item type's page was recently acquired items, or if there was an obvious way to sort items in reverse chronological order of acquisition (which would also be helpful when you get like six things at once in the middle of a fight, and you want to read their descriptions, but can't remember what you got or where to find it in your inventory).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I’m kinda surprised poo poo like this happens, honestly. I would figure that at that point in the game, when you come up to a boss that you’re only plinking away at for like 30 damage, you figure that there’s something you’re probably missing in the fight. The only interesting thing in the area is the sword, and the description mentions that its weapon art is particularly useful against Giants. Sounds easy enough to put two and two together, but I guess if you just write it off as some random weapon, maybe not.

Also it's image is the weird hilt of the sword your buddy is using to blast yhorm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

The game doesn't prime you for this kind of thinking, though. At no point in any other boss fight in the entire game is there some nearby weapon, item, or environmental effect that makes a boss significantly easier. The closest thing you get is them planting Firebombs near to the Pus of Men in High Walls, but even that requires luck to figure out (since the Firebomb description never specifically mentions the Pus of Men as having cause to "fear the flames," nor would a first time player make any kind of connection between the Abyss and fire). Moreover, people are likely going to fight him in the area where they have the most space to maneuver (right in the middle), meaning that the developers were banking on people stumbling to the opposite end of where they entered before they'd notice the item.

All they had to do was have a random NPC - or, gently caress, even Siegward - say a couple of lines about how he kept some Giant-slaying weapon near his throne. The fact that no one does points towards the larger truth that Profaned Capital was a rush job, since I can only assume you'd discover the relevant history of the Storm Ruler there if it hadn't been reduced to three buildings and a swamp.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 11, 2017

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I love to Sunbro in this game. I made a Dex character named "I help you" and rack up mad souls helping people mostly on the Grand Archives. I frequent GA because it's required, easier with help, I know all the secrets and it's a popular invasion target. One of my favorite things is to throw lightning urns at invaders repeatedly while they try to flee or heal.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Vermain posted:

the developers were banking on people stumbling to the opposite end of where they entered before they'd notice the item.

I thought it was more the developers banking on people having played Demon's Souls and fan service

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You hit the demon prince enough times with the murky shotel it'll add up.

Just 800 swings more :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I thought it was more the developers banking on people having played Demon's Souls and fan service

Storm King is at least a little more obvious about the fact that he's not a traditional boss, given that he and his cronies fly safely out of melee range. Yhorm just looks like a regular ol' boss who you're supposed to hit until he dies. Even people who played Demon's Souls probably aren't going to make the connection between a flying manta ray and an angry giant with a cleaver and start looking around the room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a developer message in the boss room right in front of the throne with the storm ruler that tells you what to do with it. Granted, it says like "Only a great storm can fell a great giant" or something like that, but still. They don't just leave you twisting in the wind.

edit: It says "only a storm can fell a greatwood" which is a bit less clear. But I mean, the sword is called the storm ruler...

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

There's a developer message in the boss room right in front of the throne with the storm ruler that tells you what to do with it.

I first have to A) get close enough to the throne to see it and the Storm Ruler and then B) read an instruction manual while a giant is trying to kill me. Neither of these are good examples of game design.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I don't know about you guys but I picked up every thing while the dragon was still breathing fire at me. You need better magpie instincts

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

There's a developer message in the boss room right in front of the throne with the storm ruler that tells you what to do with it. Granted, it says like "Only a great storm can fell a great giant" or something like that, but still. They don't just leave you twisting in the wind.

edit: It says "only a storm can fell a greatwood" which is a bit less clear. But I mean, the sword is called the storm ruler...

It's also not even true, by that point you've already fought like five giants (some bigger than Yhorm) and they go down like chumps when you stub their toes.

The whole storm ruler thing is quite random and I suspect was put in there as a stopgap for a fight the designers didn't have time to flesh out the way they hoped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vermain posted:

I first have to A) get close enough to the throne to see it and the Storm Ruler and then B) read an instruction manual while a giant is trying to kill me. Neither of these are good examples of game design.

I'm not saying it is. What I will say though is that if you whack the guy and your sword- which does hundreds of damage by this point -does like 20 and his health bar doesn't even move, maybe think about if you are doing something wrong.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

The game doesn't prime you for this kind of thinking, though. At no point in any other boss fight in the entire game is there some nearby weapon, item, or environmental effect that makes a boss significantly easier. The closest thing you get is them planting Firebombs near to the Pus of Men in High Walls, but even that requires luck to figure out (since the Firebomb description never specifically mentions the Pus of Men as having cause to "fear the flames," nor would a first time player make any kind of connection between the Abyss and fire). Moreover, people are likely going to fight him in the area where they have the most space to maneuver (right in the middle), meaning that the developers were banking on people stumbling to the opposite end of where they entered before they'd notice the item.

All they had to do was have a random NPC - or, gently caress, even Siegward - say a couple of lines about how he kept some Giant-slaying weapon near his throne. The fact that no one does points towards the larger truth that Profaned Capital was a rush job, since I can only assume you'd discover the relevant history of the Storm Ruler there if it hadn't been reduced to three buildings and a swamp.

I will admit that there’s nothing like this in the game before, and there’s almost nothing done to prepare you for this beforehand. However, I think the game does enough on its own. It’s not counting on your to stumble accidentally onto the sword, it’s counting on you to see that just straight-up fighting him probably isn’t going to work, and you need to try something else. I actually think they should have made you deal even less damage to his feet / hands, so that you’d know it’s obviously the incorrect choice. Almost immediately upon starting the fight blind I noticed I wasn’t doing a lot of damage, and figured there was a gimmick I needed to figure out. You’ll probably die before figuring out the trick to the fight since there isn’t any obvious safe zones, which is a fair criticism against the fight. I feel like the best way to have handled this would have been to not start the fight immediately, maybe have Yhorm be asleep or something at the throne, and let you pick up the sword first. Either have him wake up when you pick up the sword, or go a step further and make the only way you can wake him up is to hit him with the blast from it. These may mess with how the fight works with Seigward, but still.

Meanwhile, if Seigward is in the boss room, then it feels instead more like a story fight where he does the work and you get to sorta help out, and then you get the reward of a cool sword at the end.

Vermain posted:

Storm King is at least a little more obvious about the fact that he's not a traditional boss, given that he and his cronies fly safely out of melee range. Yhorm just looks like a regular ol' boss who you're supposed to hit until he dies. Even people who played Demon's Souls probably aren't going to make the connection between a flying manta ray and an angry giant with a cleaver and start looking around the room.

I mean, I played Demon’s Souls first, so that may have spoiled me a bit with the fight. No, I didn’t make the connection at first, but when I saw I was barely piddling away at him, I figured there was something I was missing. I tried running around the area, found the sword, and immediately upon seeing the name knew what was up. I can imagine someone without Demon’s Souls experience not making the connection with the sword, it probably should have been named “Giant Slayer” or some poo poo, since “Storm Ruler” was only named so in Demon’s Souls because the boss was names Storm King and you fought him in The Shrine of Storms. It doesn’t really make any sense to be named the same in Dark Souls 3, other than obvious fanboy pandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I'm not saying it is. What I will say though is that if you whack the guy and your sword (which does hundreds of damage by this point) does like 20 and his health bar doesn't even move, maybe think about if you are doing something wrong.

Again: if any other boss in the game had some example of you picking up a weapon/item or using an environmental effect to make the boss easier, that's fine, because then the developers have given the player an example of what could appear in the future and primed their thinking appropriately. DS1 does this nicely by forcing you to drop down onto Asylum Demon and then having you fight Taurus Demon next to a large drop that clever players can pick up on. If you hadn't had to drop down on Asylum Demon, would you have ever seriously considered climbing to the top of the tower and trying to fall down onto Taurus?