Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

mcmagic posted:

This is a 3 CMC walker. You can't play it for 2.

I'm so proud I baited mcmagic with my bad joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Meatbag Esq. posted:

That's one for the ol' CV

Have Blue posted:

Pretty sure Nissa is busted. She lets you deploy 2 threats at once if played late, acts as card selection/ramp early, and can come down as a hasty finisher. She basically has lovely cascade.

That said, she does want a banty deck that plays lots of creatures rather than straight UG

Given the fact that she operates better with more loyalty counters, I see her in more of a control finisher. Playing her for 8 or 9 and immediately swinging for 10 is exactly what control wants in a finisher.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

That's one for the ol' CV

Given the fact that she operates better with more loyalty counters, I see her in more of a control finisher. Playing her for 8 or 9 and immediately swinging for 10 is exactly what control wants in a finisher.

How did control deal the other 10 damage?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway Nissa Seward is real good PW though casting her for X=1 is probably a bad idea unless the board is completely spotless and Wizards forgets to print haste creatures and spells that deal damage.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

How did control deal the other 10 damage?

...by casting their second Nissa the next turn? :v:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Man, you would think wizards would have learned their lesson with 2 cmc plainswalkers with jace.

Actually I think the relevant lesson for this card is Tibalt

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Anyway Nissa Seward is real good PW though casting her for X=1 is probably a bad idea unless the board is completely spotless and Wizards forgets to print haste creatures and spells that deal damage.
I think she's just hard to evaluate, but other than her colors being in a weird place, I think she's actually super powerful. We've had a lot of 3 mana Planeswalkers before, this is one of the few that can win the game on its own powers (although certainly not by itself assuming you didn't built your deck around the card) if unchecked for more than a turn.

I mean, sure, sometimes she'll eat poo poo and all you get is Scry 2, but her 0 is so ridiculous following the +2 that you're likely to rapidly win after 1 or 2 turns unless you built your deck wrong.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Actually I think the relevant lesson for this card is Tibalt

Man Tibalt is so bad. In the Planeswalker decks I made and balanced against each other with my friends, Tibalt is the only deck where you don't really care if you draw your PW and in fact usually would rather have something else.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

never make jokes or some idiot will meme at you is the lesson im seeing here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you might be saying "but livingtrope, he posted the meme as a joke too", well, all i have to say to that is that that doesn't exclude him still being an idiot, at least other dude attempted originality

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm not seeing a spot on the curve where Nissa is the card you're all about casting. She seems mediocre at best pretty much constantly. She doesn't do anything to protect herself the turn she comes down which is a huge problem. She can grind card advantage, which is good, but she can't guarantee it without doing so very intermittently. I think it's an interesting design, but she requires a very slow and specific format for her to be good.

Or I could be wrong and she's insane and will be a format staple. I just think she has a ton of flaws.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

I'm not seeing a spot on the curve where Nissa is the card you're all about casting. She seems mediocre at best pretty much constantly. She doesn't do anything to protect herself the turn she comes down which is a huge problem. She can grind card advantage, which is good, but she can't guarantee it without doing so very intermittently. I think it's an interesting design, but she requires a very slow and specific format for her to be good.

Or I could be wrong and she's insane and will be a format staple. I just think she has a ton of flaws.

She's at absolute worst 50% to flip in my favorite deck in Modern and she plays the card immediately so that is pretty huge upside.

She's ok at any stage of the game and scales up really well with mana, that means she pairs up very well with mana dorks and in any deck that ramps she's solid.

Flexibility is incredibly powerful for a walker.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Scry 2 is incredibly powerful, because it lets you tuck a card you don't like and lets you know your next draw. Scry 1 only lets you do one of those at a time. And you can set up her 0 by putting a different card above the thing you want to slam down. She's entirely valid as just +2 until ultimate, or as setting up her 0 repeatedly. That sort of versatility is great in a card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also I really, really love that she can out of nowhere clock someone for 10 off the top, that really is the kind of thing that just steals games

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are 3 PW'ers in this set and they are all between very good and busted...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As of now the only G/U/x deck is Temur Tower, and she doesn't really belong in there. If Bant can force a comeback they will play a copy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

As of now the only G/U/x deck is Temur Tower, and she doesn't really belong in there. If Bant can force a comeback they will play a copy.

4 Color Shaeeli could cast it easily.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

scalability is really powerful in this game. for example, Walking Ballista is a weak card at pretty much every value of X, but when you get all those garbage cards together in one card, it's a format staple.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
One of the biggest problems with evaluating a card like Nissa is that there's a very heavy tendency to evaluate the card on generic terms that appear in a lot of SCG articles/CFB articles that may or may not apply to the card in particular. Like, saying "well she doesn't protect herself" isn't as valid if you cast something for 3 mana and it goes on to win the game for you because its both topdecking and deploying threats for free. People really, really love taking very firm opinions on these kind of things even though they shouldn't be applied in a vacuum to cards that have yet to see any play. It's the same way "dies to Doom Blade" is basically dead horse trope of MTG fora despite the fact that it can be more or less valid depending on the card (e.g. its a less valid criticism of a card like Tarmogoyf than it is of, say, Shivan Dragon)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Sucks that the card that reveals the top of your library, which is info she really wants, is garbo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

One of the biggest problems with evaluating a card like Nissa is that there's a very heavy tendency to evaluate the card on generic terms that appear in a lot of SCG articles/CFB articles that may or may not apply to the card in particular. Like, saying "well she doesn't protect herself" isn't as valid if you cast something for 3 mana and it goes on to win the game for you because its both topdecking and deploying threats for free. People really, really love taking very firm opinions on these kind of things even though they shouldn't be applied in a vacuum to cards that have yet to see any play. It's the same way "dies to Doom Blade" is basically dead horse trope of MTG fora despite the fact that it can be more or less valid depending on the card (e.g. its a less valid criticism of a card like Tarmogoyf than it is of, say, Shivan Dragon)

"Dies to Doom Blade" is a pretty drat good heuristic.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Angry Grimace posted:

I love spoiler season card judgments. The less we know about the new set, the better. Nothing is a better reminder that not only are 99.9% of Magic players are garbage at evaluating cards for constructed, they're willing to do so firmly before they even know what the format will look like.

e: Part of it is definitely that no one's really keeping score, so there's no consequence to being terribly wrong in your judgments. But the whole thing always reminds me of the time I cracked open that brand new issue of InQuest for the Ice Age preview and read their article ranking Necropotence as the Worst Card in the Set.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

Sucks that the card that reveals the top of your library, which is info she really wants, is garbo.

I will make a deck that play that card, nissa, and the blue god, and play everything from the top of the deck while keeping 7 cards in hand all the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love spoiler season card judgments. The less we know about the new set, the better. Nothing is a better reminder that not only are 99.9% of Magic players are garbage at evaluating cards for constructed, they're willing to do so firmly before they even know what the format will look like.

When a card is hard to judge and does powerful things, it does seem really weird to declare it terrible before even trying to sleeve it up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

"Dies to Doom Blade" is a pretty drat good heuristic.

its not as good in a format without doom blade

instead it's dies to fatal push, or dies to um...whatever other removal standard uses

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

When a card is hard to judge and does powerful things, it does seem really weird to declare it terrible before even trying to sleeve it up.

The bar for a 3 mana walker to clear to be playable is pretty much Saheeli without Cat and Nissa is ALOT better than that...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

its not as good in a format without doom blade

instead it's dies to fatal push, or dies to um...whatever other removal standard uses

Murder
Ruinous path
Anguish unmaking
Grasp of darkness
Unlicensed disintegration
Declaration on stone
Shock
Harnessed lightning
Stasis Snare
Hitting a sudden torrential gearhulk

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 11, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

4 Color Shaeeli could cast it easily.

I feel dumb for forgetting that deck, but do you really want two planeswalkers whose +1s are to scry; it seems redundant. If Nissa's +1 was her 0 I could see them being a wombo combo together.

She is very borderline playable depending on what decks exist. Of all the planeswalkers so far I think the Lili is the best.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

I feel dumb for forgetting that deck, but do you really want two planeswalkers whose +1s are to scry; it seems redundant. If Nissa's +1 was her 0 I could see them being a wombo combo together.

She is very borderline playable depending on what decks exist. Of all the planeswalkers so far I think the Lili is the best.

I think both Nissa and Gids will see play outside Standard and Liliana will not and therefore They Are Better

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

If nissa +0 was a +1 it would have been absolutely insane.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mandatory lesbian posted:

you might be saying "but livingtrope, he posted the meme as a joke too", well, all i have to say to that is that that doesn't exclude him still being an idiot, at least other dude attempted originality

Had to meme quickly, am mobile posting, will photoshop a magic card into it later.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think both Nissa and Gids will see play outside Standard and Liliana will not and therefore They Are Better

What deck outside of Standard would play this Nissa? The Gideon might go into Ad Nasuem, and maybe as sideboard tech, because certain combos decks may not be able to deal with him, but what U/G eternal deck wants Nissa?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
SO what's the chance of a cool and good sligh deck being semi-playable? Every red card 3cmc and under in this set looks rowdy.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Scry 2 is incredibly powerful, because it lets you tuck a card you don't like and lets you know your next draw. Scry 1 only lets you do one of those at a time. And you can set up her 0 by putting a different card above the thing you want to slam down. She's entirely valid as just +2 until ultimate, or as setting up her 0 repeatedly. That sort of versatility is great in a card.

You really can't afford to have a card that does nothing except for scry 2. Would you really pay 1UG: Scry 2, Fog?

Tales of Woe posted:

scalability is really powerful in this game. for example, Walking Ballista is a weak card at pretty much every value of X, but when you get all those garbage cards together in one card, it's a format staple.

Walking Ballista is strong because it's actually really good at every point on the curve. As a two drop, it can pick off creatures or turn off the Saheeli combo. As a four drop, it can pick off two creatures or pick off a bigger creature or turn off the Saheeli combo. Ballista is not a weak card at pretty much any point on the curve.

Angry Grimace posted:

The current best deck in the format is a deck that is very, very good at pressuring Planeswalkers. Planeswalkers that can't protect themselves immediately are weak in this Standard because if they can't protect themselves then they can just die to a Heart of Kiran or any of a number of different threats that Mardu plays.

mcmagic posted:

The bar for a 3 mana walker to clear to be playable is pretty much Saheeli without Cat and Nissa is ALOT better than that...

Saheeli isn't playable without Felidar Guardian in the format and Saheeli is roughly as good as Nissa. Saheeli plusing can actually do something in a game; pressuring Planeswalkers is one of the things that Saheeli is actually pretty good at.

I think this card is a slightly worse Ashiok that's easier to kill on curve. It might find a home, but I think it has a lot of flaws that will stop it from being see play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

You really can't afford to have a card that does nothing except for scry 2. Would you really pay 1UG: Scry 2, Fog?

I would if it had a alternate condition where it took over the game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

I would if it had a alternate condition where it took over the game.

Most Planeswalkers have an alternate condition where it takes over the game. It's just hard to justify playing a Planeswalker that is only ever good if you have complete control over the board.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

What deck outside of Standard would play this Nissa? The Gideon might go into Ad Nasuem, and maybe as sideboard tech, because certain combos decks may not be able to deal with him, but what U/G eternal deck wants Nissa?

Bant Company almost certainly wants Nissa as a 1-2 of

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bant Company almost certainly wants Nissa as a 1-2 of

Cutting what? I can't imagine how you can play this when it dies to bolt when you cast it for 1UG. I'm not a Bant Company expert so I might be wrong, though. It just seems real low impact compared to your other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Saheeli isn't playable without Felidar Guardian in the format and Saheeli is roughly as good as Nissa. Saheeli plusing can actually do something in a game; pressuring Planeswalkers is one of the things that Saheeli is actually pretty good at.

I think this card is a slightly worse Ashiok that's easier to kill on curve. It might find a home, but I think it has a lot of flaws that will stop it from being see play.

I think this card is much better than Shaeeli on it's own. If only due to it's better Ult and scale-ability.

• Locked thread