Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question: what do people think of the FFX Battle Theme? I was suddenly seized with a desire to listen to it again and I like how distinct it is from other normal battle themes in the series.

It's okay. I have nothing against it but I'll probably skip it if it comes up when I'm make game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NikkolasKing posted:

Random question: what do people think of the FFX Battle Theme? I was suddenly seized with a desire to listen to it again and I like how distinct it is from other normal battle themes in the series.

I like it a lot, it's catchy. The normal boss battle music of X wasn't very memorable though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Vastly improved with the Tidus laugh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NikkolasKing posted:

I always liked the voice leading in the melody. FF4 has my favorite normal battle theme though.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I hate all the normal battle themes because i heard them a billion times. Ff12 got that right at least.
That being said, ff6, ff7 and ff13 are the least offensive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Clearly the correct answer is the FF9 Fairy Battle music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG1X2NATEwE

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's not Man With The Machine Gun. :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A thing I like that FFXIV does is that some of the raids have an underlying theme playing that changes its style when you're in battle. For example, in the Binding Coil of Bahamut, the background music is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMknCxfX_ek
but when you're in battle it changes up to the same theme in a different, more upbeat style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8Xz9mnYyw

the World of Darkness music is another good example, both themes are the same (and both based off the original FF3 WoD theme) but the battle version is much more...battle-y?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-M-aN1cFdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02dgGFhkLQ

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Battle With The Four Fiends remains my favorite battle theme.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NikkolasKing posted:

It and V are my favorites, with VII somewhat close behind.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I hate all the normal battle themes because i heard them a billion times. Ff12 got that right at least.
That being said, ff6, ff7 and ff13 are the least offensive.

Once you're halfway through Xenoblade, the battle music changes. Smart move on their part (and it helps that it fuckin' rocks)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF 1-6 and 9's battle themes are the best but that's because I'm sucker for a common musical theme being iterated on throughout a franchise (Like Prelude and Main Theme).

Also because that opening segment of baseline going is so good every time.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 7, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Once you're halfway through Xenoblade, the battle music changes. Smart move on their part (and it helps that it fuckin' rocks)

yeah it fuckin' does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzMNz1BSk

only problem is the normal battles never last long enough to get to the loving :krad: guitar solo at like 1:50

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 7, 2017

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Playing through Bravely Default. I believe I read that it's fine to skip all of the optional bosses in Chapters 5 and 6 -- is that correct?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dukerson posted:

Playing through Bravely Default. I believe I read that it's fine to skip all of the optional bosses in Chapters 5 and 6 -- is that correct?

Chapter 6 does unlock a new sidequest for one of the final jobs so you should make sure to do that one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

It's fine and fits its purpose for me. I enjoy it while I'm playing the game but it'd never enter my playlist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

dukerson posted:

From what I recall, there's value in doing chapter 6's to at least some degree, but you're fine skipping them.

To elaborate a bit, what they're doing is iterating and elaborating on the bosses you've fought throughout the game, which I think is neat, but they kinda pack too much on. Chapter 5 is basically amping them up to the same endgame level and tweaking their story a little, but they still fight generally the same. Chapter 6 has them change up the sequences and fights so that you fight different combinations of job bosses,but it's more for story logic than actual difficulty, there's not THAT much synergy going on. Chapter 7 and onwards they start directly comboing them to make them hard.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 8, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Me! posted:

yeah it fuckin' does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZzMNz1BSk

only problem is the normal battles never last long enough to get to the loving :krad: guitar solo at like 1:50

That or you stopped a future trigger and get the heroic music for the rest of the fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just want to post in here that the Nether Nebula music from World of Final Fantasy is extremely good and relaxing.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
If anyone cares about FF speedrun/gameplay things, there's a big 3 team relay race this weekend for most of the mainline games: https://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak

schedule https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t-O_5E-TQsXxZC1hIpA62T-s0kY6TztuFomiu6oMyr0/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone here played FFIX on PC and found some kind of mod that improves the steal chances in the game? There seems to be rumours that the 9999 toggle increases steal chance to 100% but others say this doesn't work.

I don't want to go full 99 of everything but the stealing mechanics in this game are just broken. Also the learn abilities thing seems great.

I can cheat engine the timer for Excalibur 2 so that's not an issue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's nothing wrong with the stealing mechanics in FF9.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

There's nothing wrong with the stealing mechanics in FF9.
it's actively unfun, which is problem enough

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can somebody elaborate? I thought it was chance based, modified by your level and the enemy level.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Other then a few fights I can't remember stealing being too frustrating. Beatrix 1/since it's on a timer, and Black Waltz 3 for constantly freezing and/or killing Marcus, and how it'll start attacking himself rather then attack Garnet when trying to revive him.

Most steals just let you get items a little bit earlier too, so it's not a huge deal if you miss something. It gets boring just waiting for steals to work.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

pichupal posted:

Other then a few fights I can't remember stealing being too frustrating. Beatrix 1/since it's on a timer, and Black Waltz 3 for constantly freezing and/or killing Marcus, and how it'll start attacking himself rather then attack Garnet when trying to revive him.

Most steals just let you get items a little bit earlier too, so it's not a huge deal if you miss something. It gets boring just waiting for steals to work.

The book in Alexandria library can be tough to get the Demon Armor because you don't have a white mage, plus the infamous Hilgigar fight with the Fairy Flute (which is totally not worth it).

There are a few unique steals that I can't think of off the top of my head, but it's a good idea to steal often to buff Zidane's Thievery ability.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the only unique steals are the Genji stuff from the final dungeon, which isn't that great and doesn't teach much anyway.

You can easily cheese the game without stealing a drat thing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Alternatively I felt like an idiot the first time I played the game and I never ever realized that you could steal more than one item.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stealing all 3 items from bosses is a requirement as far as I'm concerned. If I didn't get everything from them then I didn't truly beat them. But that's just my crazy viewpoint. Play however you want but I personally would feel like a failure if I couldn't take 5-10 minutes of punishment before actually starting the fight in earnest.

I think stealing is 100% worth it right up until Kuja or so. I think he and maybe Garland have nothing but useless items(because at this point you should have gotten all Chocobo Hot 'n' Cold treasures so you don't need another Light Robe) and that trend holds true for every subsequent story boss. Optional bosses however have Robes of Lords and those are good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I had no issues with stealing once I had Zidane learn bandit, which increases his chances of stealing. It comes from stealing from the Sealion in the Ice Cave. If you miss it, you can find the weapon in Treno, I think.

Also, regarding battle music: the Breath of Fire series had several different regular battle themes depending on where you were in the game, which was a good way to do it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Also, regarding battle music: the Breath of Fire series had several different regular battle themes depending on where you were in the game, which was a good way to do it.

Even better in BoFIV, where it chose which theme it used based on whether you were on the east or west continent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Even better in BoFIV, where it chose which theme it used based on whether you were on the east or west continent.

Pretty sure Dimensions had the same thing, where the battle theme was different depending on which version of the world you're in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Legend of Dragoon had multiple battle and boss themes. Soundtrack is kind of underrated actually.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mega64 posted:

Pretty sure Dimensions had the same thing, where the battle theme was different depending on which version of the world you're in.

As linear as it was, Dimensions is kinda underrated in my opinion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best thing about Vagrant Story is that almost every boss had its own awesome music, though they did reuse a few if you were fighting ones of a similar type (dragons especially).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While the Mother series in general is great about this, Mother 3 in particular has a ton of different battle tracks, including subtle "hard" variations of some pieces due to the game incorporating each music's beat into the combat system itself.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vargatron posted:

Legend of Dragoon had multiple battle and boss themes. Soundtrack is kind of underrated actually.

A fun extra bit was that the victory fanfare also changed depending on which of the like, 8 different combat themes was playing. The Virage boss theme from LoD is one of the handful of video game themes that for whatever reason has been stuck in my head for well over a decade, despite being a pretty simple track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiI4c99zHPg

LoD also had 4 different world map themes, it definitely liked doing that particular thing.

Sakurazuka posted:

The best thing about Vagrant Story is that almost every boss had its own awesome music, though they did reuse a few if you were fighting ones of a similar type (dragons especially).

Incidentally, Vagrant Story's Fire Elemental battle theme is also amongst the aforementiond handful. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqpdsieTL_s

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Dross posted:

As linear as it was, Dimensions is kinda underrated in my opinion.

Actually no, it is exactly rated as it should be.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gologle posted:

Actually no, it is exactly rated as it should be.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Theatrythm AC update: Record Keeper is in, complete with a playable Tyro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs8WgSG25vo