Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those excerpts from his book were insane. Just the least sexy sexy talk ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

muscles like this! posted:

"I am satisfied with my sexing. I had all the climaxes."

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.

But he was kneading her flesh with his tongue!

Hehehehehehe, yeah that was pretty loving bad. And hilarious.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I can't believe Bill O'Reilly actually wrote and published a romance novel. And that pales in comparison to my disbelief that he goddamn narrated the audio book for it, in what sounded like a more robotic version of his newscasting voice. Jesus gently caress, how did this not make Reddit or something before now?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Because his sexytime book is old news. Jon Stewart plumbed all the comedy out of it years ago.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's just, I assume someone like that has an agent or something. I can't believe that no one surrounding him ever said "Hey, you're a rich, conservative Republican who's on TV every day, and you are so nonsexual that it seems like your suit and tie are just natural extensions of your body. You are the very last person who should be publishing a novel about pleasuring women."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well he's clearly delusional in other ways too, have you seen his opinions?

Trump thinks he's a sexual tyrannosaurus too. Rich old white conservative flesh golum-looking assholes always do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Phenotype posted:

It's just, I assume someone like that has an agent or something. I can't believe that no one surrounding him ever said "Hey, you're a rich, conservative Republican who's on TV every day, and you are so nonsexual that it seems like your suit and tie are just natural extensions of your body. You are the very last person who should be publishing a novel about pleasuring women."

Republicans are nothing if not tone deaf.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

IRQ posted:

This is why literally no one wants to do anything about NK. It would make the ISIL and Syrian civil war refugee crisis look like a day at the beach.
Maybe the US would finally take in some refugees that they helped cause but ahahahah that won't happen. (I welcome refugees in my country FYI but amount Trump cried about during the election cycle was equal or lower than my 17million people country)

Anyway this whole business about gerrymandering wasn't exactly new but it is still a bizarre practice; I know it isn't only a thing in the US but as an outsider it always seemed hilariously biased; that weird shaped district was a cool example of how it can be sometimes be good though.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

IRQ posted:

Trump thinks he's a sexual tyrannosaurus too. Rich old white conservative flesh golum-looking assholes always do.

This started with Cosby, it's men of a certain age.

I cringe at the precedent that settlement = guilty that's happening in the O'Reilly case in this chapter of "Our Woke Times." But that's because I defended Michael Jackson for paying out over having to live a repeat of his first protracted legal battle, this time with a family that blatantly 180'd from supporting him to accusing him when their son appeared on the Martin Bashir special and made them look especially naive. It's why I consider Bashir a terrible journalist and hated him getting a gig in the heady lefty days of MSNBC.

On the other hand, I'm weirdly accepting all this because it's Bill O'Reilly, who is so hatable that it's either to abandon your own principles.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

If you want to hear what people actually say when talking to rich conservative republicans, you can always just listen to the Trump/Billy Bush tape again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Anyway this whole business about gerrymandering wasn't exactly new but it is still a bizarre practice; I know it isn't only a thing in the US but as an outsider it always seemed hilariously biased; that weird shaped district was a cool example of how it can be sometimes be good though.

It's one of those things that's a symptom of the way the system works but is hard to come up with a better solution while also preserving the core idea behind the system. For example, Gerrymandering would be a complete non-issue if representatives were elected by some kind of state-wide proportional system (I.e if the Republicans get 55% of the popular vote, they get 55% of the state's congressional seats), but this would mean that you'd no longer have a specific local representative who would be your point of contact, and would also mean that who actually ends up in congress would be based entirely on internal party politics rather than who the public actually likes (instead of how it works now which is where it's only mostly based on internal party politics). Some might argue these are worthwhile trade offs to get a government that's more representative of overall public opinion, but there are also good reasons to have representatives for specific subsets of constituents, especially when it comes to things like representing minorities who might end up just being ignored under a purely proportional system.

That said, you do get a lot of bullshit from representatives who benefit from the current system like the old standby "an independent committee to decide congressional districts isn't a perfect solution, so let's not do it even though it is objectively better than how it works now." It's pretty easy for them to just dig in their heels and just reject any attempt at change when they've gerrymandered themselves into a safe district.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's one of those things that's a symptom of the way the system works but is hard to come up with a better solution while also preserving the core idea behind the system.

The core idea behind your system is pretty terrible.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's one of those things that's a symptom of the way the system works but is hard to come up with a better solution while also preserving the core idea behind the system. For example, Gerrymandering would be a complete non-issue if representatives were elected by some kind of state-wide proportional system (I.e if the Republicans get 55% of the popular vote, they get 55% of the state's congressional seats), but this would mean that you'd no longer have a specific local representative who would be your point of contact, and would also mean that who actually ends up in congress would be based entirely on internal party politics rather than who the public actually likes (instead of how it works now which is where it's only mostly based on internal party politics). Some might argue these are worthwhile trade offs to get a government that's more representative of overall public opinion, but there are also good reasons to have representatives for specific subsets of constituents, especially when it comes to things like representing minorities who might end up just being ignored under a purely proportional system.

Australia's senate voting system works around this problem fairly easily. Parties are listed horizontally on the ballot paper, with each of their candidates listed vertically below. The party order is assigned randomly, while the candidate order is specified by each party.

Voters have the option of either numbering the parties in order (in which case the candidate order determines the votes), or numbering the candidates in order. So yeah, internal party politics determines whether candidate A or B appears first, but if you prefer candidate B who's second in the list you can always indicate them as your first preference.

It leads to enormous ballot papers, but it's a fairly simple and easy system all things considered.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Australia's senate voting system works around this problem fairly easily. Parties are listed horizontally on the ballot paper, with each of their candidates listed vertically below. The party order is assigned randomly, while the candidate order is specified by each party.

Voters have the option of either numbering the parties in order (in which case the candidate order determines the votes), or numbering the candidates in order. So yeah, internal party politics determines whether candidate A or B appears first, but if you prefer candidate B who's second in the list you can always indicate them as your first preference.

It leads to enormous ballot papers, but it's a fairly simple and easy system all things considered.

Yeah I was trying to keep my post relatively short but I know there are hybrid systems. One that gets mentioned in this video is a sort of 50/50 system, where you elect local representatives but also vote for a party, and then the house is composed of both the directly elected representatives and an equal number of proportionally distributed seats based on the party results. This is still vulnerable to gerrymandering, but less so because only half the house comes from district-based elections.

Australia is kind of an interesting case because they do a lot of things with their electoral systems that should be done in more countries yet that politicians are incredibly resistant to implement. How did they manage to get it done there? Did they just set it up that way initially?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I can't believe Bill O'Reilly actually wrote and published a romance novel. And that pales in comparison to my disbelief that he goddamn narrated the audio book for it, in what sounded like a more robotic version of his newscasting voice. Jesus gently caress, how did this not make Reddit or something before now?

To be fair, it wasn't a romance novel, and that was just an excerpt. Stephen King and those type of writers have sex scenes in the majority of their books as well. That doesn't make it any less creepy to read or hear, but it isn't that ridiculous of a concept.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also, he probably didn't write it. He probably just threw his name on a book to make it sell more and so he could call himself a novelist.

But there's excuse or sensible reasoning for him narrating the audio book knowing there's a sex scene. That's on him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Also, he probably didn't write it. He probably just threw his name on a book to make it sell more and so he could call himself a novelist.

See, that's what I thought at first, but... I mean, c'mon, man. Tell me with a straight face that Bill O'Reilly talking about a real-life sexual conquest wouldn't sound exactly like that horrible narration in the book.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I didn't say he picked a good book to throw his name on.

Or one that didn't speak to him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I was trying to keep my post relatively short but I know there are hybrid systems. One that gets mentioned in this video is a sort of 50/50 system, where you elect local representatives but also vote for a party, and then the house is composed of both the directly elected representatives and an equal number of proportionally distributed seats based on the party results. This is still vulnerable to gerrymandering, but less so because only half the house comes from district-based elections.

Australia is kind of an interesting case because they do a lot of things with their electoral systems that should be done in more countries yet that politicians are incredibly resistant to implement. How did they manage to get it done there? Did they just set it up that way initially?

Sort of, yeah. Remember Australia was only federalised in 1901 so there was plenty of time to learn from other countries' mistakes. And most of the big changes (compulsory voting, proportional representation) were changes within the first 25 years, when the architects of the system were still in it and could see things that weren't functioning as intended.

There are still things that don't work well, eg the lower house is still elected by plurality voting, and although the green party got about 9% of the votes nationally, they ended up with 1 seat out of 150 in the lower house. The redneck racist party got about the same number of votes and didn't get a single lower house seat.

And in the upper house, the incredibly complex and arcane way votes get counted meant that a senator got elected with literally 17,000 first preference votes out of 3.7 million votes cast.

In general these days, a change will get made if it benefits the big parties at the expense of the smaller ones. The situation I mentioned above with the senator basically can't happen again, because the two major parties made sure to change the rules - it's an extra chance at senators for them, after all.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That said, you do get a lot of bullshit from representatives who benefit from the current system like the old standby "an independent committee to decide congressional districts isn't a perfect solution, so let's not do it even though it is objectively better than how it works now." It's pretty easy for them to just dig in their heels and just reject any attempt at change when they've gerrymandered themselves into a safe district.

The way the system exists now permits the disenfranchisement of as much as 49% of a particular district. The whole system was designed for a country of 4 million when political parties only existed in a loose sense. The idea of local representation is a bad joke. Trump fuckboy Scott Tipton wasn't voting for the best interests of anyone in my district when he voted to allow mining companies to pollute surface and groundwater at will, or when he voted to destroy the FCC's ability to regulate ISPs going forward.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 11, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are rumors floating around that O'Reilly is now permanently off the air. He announced a sudden vacation and supposedly Fox CEO James Murdoch (who was responsibly for ousting Roger Ailes last year) wants him gone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

There are rumors floating around that O'Reilly is now permanently off the air. He announced a sudden vacation and supposedly Fox CEO James Murdoch (who was responsibly for ousting Roger Ailes last year) wants him gone.

He has a bright future on RT alongside Larry King.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how likely is it that bretbart will suddenly have a new personality

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

O'Reilly is selling it as a planned vacation, but if you're not ready for your eyes to roll back into your skull, out of your mouth, and onto the floor at any given time, then you're not ready for The O'Reilly Factor.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Germany's got another take on that kind of system. In each election, you got two votes: One for a local representative, the other for a party. The one for the party tends to be the more important one, it's a simple public vote that all goes in one pot and each party gets a number of seats proportional to the amount of votes they received. Then, each representative who managed to win a district takes up one of those seats afforded to their party. If a party has more representatives voted in than it gets seats, the total number of seats in the house is scaled up so that everybody gets a seat while still retaining the original proportions. If a party has fewer representatives directly voted in than it has seats, then the remaining seats are simply filled up by people picked from a publicly accessible list.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He has a bright future on RT alongside Larry King.

RT is state-sponsored media, which comes with a host of problems, but as a source isn't inherently terrible like Info Wars. I mean, Thom Hartmann runs his show on their American network, and he's no Kremlin agent.

Why is everyone piling on RT instead of asking why media critical of the Democratic party seems to end up there? I think there's more to this story than has been discussed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Actually never mind, this post added nothing useful

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 12, 2017

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

RT is state-sponsored media, which comes with a host of problems, but as a source isn't inherently terrible like Info Wars. I mean, Thom Hartmann runs his show on their American network, and he's no Kremlin agent.

Why is everyone piling on RT instead of asking why media critical of the Democratic party seems to end up there? I think there's more to this story than has been discussed.

Also RT America's headquarters/studio is literally blocks away from the White House. Sounds like a really lovely spot to be a Russian agent to me...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Both facts can be true. Cenk created TYT after he got kicked from MSNBC, which likely happened because the Democrats weren't happy with his attacking them from the left. However, that doesn't change that RT engages in Putin apologia.

I've seen it myself. The Georgia border scuffle 8 or 9 years ago happened during a time when I was far into analyzing state-run media, and RT had a guy stammering and fist-pounding that Russia never attacks civilians while BBC World had actual video of a Russian jet buzzing over and firing at their crew. He later also got wound up watching the Georgian leader in the streets and, obviously wound up on adrenaline or something, began mocking the guy like a child ("Oh, I'm [name], I'm so corrupt, I claim Russia is bombing people from the sky but here I am in the streets.")

I gave up on it after that, I know at some point they started buying a presence on US cable systems and hiring OWS protesters to try their hand at broadcasting and creating a Maddow clone. RT is not the only "news" stream engaging in English-language misinformation for a lovely government on the other side of the world, but it was more transparent than something like CCTV9 which simply avoids talking about anything which would make Beijing look bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlyingCheese posted:

Also RT America's headquarters/studio is literally blocks away from the White House. Sounds like a really lovely spot to be a Russian agent to me...

Why would you not put your agent into a political and financial hub of the country you're spying on?

Unless we're talking about the commute, but you don't have to walk it when the Secret Service will just pick you up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You either read RT and realize the right and particularly the alt-right's foreign policy and conspiracy theory talking points are not original, or you don't and won't. You can't read RT and keep seeing their headlines and language and talking points and rhetoric on the_donald and /pol/ six hours later and close your eyes to it and ignore this fact. Not day after week after month after tear.

There's a middle ground where you take it on someone else's word that, yes, RT is a driver of large chunks of right wing news.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You're pre-supposing that people ever look at the_donald or /pol/.

It would be interesting if the right went from "we didn't need the fairness doctrine anyway" to "oh god we need prevent foreign meddling in our information mediums" and started supporting a regulation on media, at least broadcasting, because of this poo poo. But they won't, because it's just easier and constitutionally muddier to let people watch whatever and put them on a list of suspected dangerous persons if they look at the wrong news source because it's tied to people we consider 'bad'.

I'm less scared of foreign governments pushing media at our people causing them to re-think their policies or voice an agenda, because god knows we do that to other countries and it's only our own bubble of self-importance and our national disinterest in anything foreign that kept them from gaining a foothold for decades. I'm more scared that some goon clicks a link to AlJazeera or whatever in a post here and consequently gets their bank accounts frozen and their name blacklisted from flying.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 12, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Both facts can be true. Cenk created TYT after he got kicked from MSNBC, which likely happened because the Democrats weren't happy with his attacking them from the left. However, that doesn't change that RT engages in Putin apologia.

TYT was around for almost 10 years before Cenk was on MSNBC. He ended up on Current TV after MSNBC replaced him with Reverend Al.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some day I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a shot at 6 PM on MSNBC.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

empty baggie posted:

TYT was around for almost 10 years before Cenk was on MSNBC. He ended up on Current TV after MSNBC replaced him with Reverend Al.

I remember it as a radio show he ran with someone else on Sirius Left back in the 2003ish days. But in my mind I disconnect it from the video platform.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A room full of hockey fans thought I was the strangest person in the world tonight when between periods I flipped on Fox News only to see a cowboy catheter commercial about sexual harassment air during the O'Reilly Factor that made me absolutely lose my poo poo.

I guess Fox News isn't paying attention to what they air in those suddenly open commercial slots.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

A room full of hockey fans thought I was the strangest person in the world tonight when between periods I flipped on Fox News only to see a cowboy catheter commercial about sexual harassment air during the O'Reilly Factor that made me absolutely lose my poo poo.

I guess Fox News isn't paying attention to what they air in those suddenly open commercial slots.

I think they are absolutely paying attention

Murdoch really does not like Trump

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

STAC Goat posted:

Last Week Tonight is really talented and I'm sure whoever schedules the ads just takes their money gladly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how much money are they sinking into these catheter ads anyway?

• Locked thread