Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Archyduke posted:

Was Rat Queens on hiatus when Roc Upchurch was arrested/fired or did they have finished issues ready to go?

Nope it kept right on going into it's sad oblivion with at least two artists afterwards. I really liked that series but man gently caress Weibe for what he was doing at the end to the artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

Nope it kept right on going into it's sad oblivion with at least two artists afterwards. I really liked that series but man gently caress Weibe for what he was doing at the end to the artists.

A new series began about a month ago.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jiro posted:

I dropped out of Rat Queens a long, long time ago. What exactly went down with Weibe?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel posted:

Marvel has terminated Ardian Syaf’s contract effective immediately. ‘X-Men Gold’ #2 and #3 featuring his work have already been sent to the printer and will continue to ship bi-weekly. Issues #4, #5, and #6 will be drawn by R. B. Silva and issues #7, #8, and #9 will be drawn by Ken Lashley. A permanent replacement artist will be assigned to ‘X-Men Gold’ in the coming weeks.

\/ You know you're setting yourself up \/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 11, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Good. Racism and discrimination against any group of people is wrong and has no place in the comic industry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Good for Marvel for firing the guy instead of doing something else.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nilbop posted:

dropped out of Rat Queens a long, long time ago. What exactly went down with Weibe?
It's all kind of unclear and a lot of hearsay/conflicting accounts.

Roc Upchurch drew the first eight issues of Rat Queens. That eighth issue came out in October 2014.

The next month Upchurch got arrested, and shortly thereafter Wiebe announced that Upchurch would no longer be drawing Rat Queens. There was a one-shot drawn by Tess Fowler to fill in the gap while Stjepan Šejić became the new penciller starting with issue 9, and ultimately ending with issue 10 when Šejić left for health reasons, and Fowler took over as the new ongoing penciler. The team of Wiebe and Fowler put out six issues between September 2015 and May 2016, at which point there were a whole lot of conflicting accounts as to what happened but the short version is that Tess Fowler left the book.

A new #1 (with a new artist) came out last month.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rat Queens was the only comic a friend of mine read, he's pretty pissed off about the whole situation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Good for Marvel for firing the guy instead of doing something else.

Yeah gently caress that idiot for thinking he could put Muslim numbers in an American book.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You're picking a very dumb hill to die on

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah gently caress that idiot for thinking he could put Muslim numbers in an American book.

That's not the reason, and you're either trolling or being unreasonably obtuse. Either way, there's no need to engage you in this.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, keep that Sharia math out of my comic books. #romannumeralsmatter

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah Marvel totally would be down with a biblical citation being snuck into a comic to say that non-Christian religions should get lost, because at least it's AMERICAN, damnit. :911:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite Neil Gaiman comic is Marvel 1488.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Remember that time Sam Hyde did a comic?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joke's on him, Christians and Jews are buried on that hill too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Someone out there is a guy with copies of all the big comics you found out about in Wizard back in the '90s just biding his time to cash them in.

"This full run of Dawn and the Solar Man of the Atom #10 with the all black cover is going to be a really nice addition to my Social Security!"

"Don't worry about an inheritance honey, I have an unpopened Superman #75 I'm leaving you instead."

I (almost) literally did this with X-Men #1. I had all five covers bagged and framed for my cousin when he was born, thinking that he could use them to pay for college. I was a teenager, though, so at least I had that excuse.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Those "Muslim numbers" are in reference to a verse that Muslims should not befriend or tolerate non-muslims, there's anti-Semitic imagery, and a reference to an Indonesian protest promoting the prosecution of a Christian Governor for "blasphemy" against Islam. That is totally unacceptable and Marvel did the right thing terminating him.

But of course you knew all that and decided to troll anyway. Don't be such a dumbass in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I (almost) literally did this with X-Men #1. I had all five covers bagged and framed for my cousin when he was born, thinking that he could use them to pay for college. I was a teenager, though, so at least I had that excuse.

Hey at least those covers are pretty sweet.

As for me, I have more than a few copies of the bagged Death of Superman issue that will surely make me rich beyond my wildest dreams any day now!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mr President posted:

Those "Muslim numbers" are in reference to a verse that Muslims should not befriend or tolerate non-muslims

That's not really what that verse means, you should read the G. Willow Wilson post about it. I'd say the group Syaf was referencing misrepresenting it is part of the issue.

Also haha at the Wertham In Action types, the FREE SPEECH IN COMICS AT ALL COSTS crowd being down with Marvel canning Syaf. I wonder why they're ok with it...

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 11, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

That's not really what that verse means, you should read the G. Willow Wilson post about it. I'd say the group Syaf was referencing misrepresenting it is part of the issue.

Also haha at the Wertham In Action types, the FREE SPEECH IN COMICS AT ALL COSTS crowd being down with Marvel canning Syaf. I wonder why they're ok with it...

But it's what he believes it means, whether it's an accurate translation or not doesn't really matter. It's what he meant to say.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

But it's what he believes it means, whether it's an accurate translation or not doesn't really matter. It's what he meant to say.

I'm saying the gross misuse of the passage as a cherry pick (and yes I know cherry picking texts is par for the course for extremists of all stripes) is part of why this situation stinks so bad. I don't give a gently caress about what Syaf believes it means.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

No offense but G. Willow WIlson is not the authority on Islam dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Noted racist and homophobe, MrPresident, however, is.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Noted racist and homophobe, MrPresident, however, is.

I was born into a muslim family she decided to become a muslim post-college during a trip to Egypt. I never claimed to be some authority but I do think it's lame to say "well G.Willow Wilson said that's not what it means" and suddenly that's the gospel.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mr President posted:

I was born into a muslim family she decided to become a muslim post-college during a trip to Egypt. I never claimed to be some authority but I do think it's lame to say "well G.Willow Wilson said that's not what it means" and suddenly that's the gospel.

There are other sources for that interpretation of that passage besides her, like the one she drops as a citation. Also, as someone who's friends with a lot of Jewish converts that sentiment is trash.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do think it's fair to say that, for example, a writer who made horrific comments about Roma people and yelled at fans who disagreed with him would not be blacklisted the way this artist was which is a bit odd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually Mr President will realize "stop posting here" means "if you post here you will be probated" but when are y'all gonna learn to not respond to him between that time

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unfortunately, being a veteran for as long as Peter David has makes you immune to that kind of thing it feels like.

At the very least, I do recall Peter David gave one of the only good apologies I've ever seen from somebody who did that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I do think it's fair to say that, for example, a writer who made horrific comments about Roma people and yelled at fans who disagreed with him would not be blacklisted the way this artist was which is a bit odd.
If the writer, say, actually learned why he was wrong and apologized rather than doubling down on his statements, would that change your opinion?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

If David was representing an active hate group and sneaking their propaganda into comics, the situation might have been different? I'd like to think so at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If the writer, say, actually learned why he was wrong and apologized rather than doubling down on his statements, would that change your opinion?

I think Peter David's apology was fine but I also don't think the response was anywhere as sudden or fierce as it was here.

That said I'm not trying to criticize the response either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

Let's not pretend he needed to apologize, as there are very few people who give a poo poo about the Roma.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I think Peter David's apology was fine but I also don't think the response was anywhere as sudden or fierce as it was here.

That said I'm not trying to criticize the response either.
I don't really remember the specifics, but given that it was in a pre-President Trump world, I can certainly see less of a reactionary response.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the fact that this guy snuck this stuff into a comic is the greater offense in the eyes of Marvel. Like he knew what he was putting in there wouldn't be approved, so he was sneaky about it. That's different from Peter David saying some horrible poo poo at a con, it'd be like if Peter David snuck that rant into a comic. It'd be racist AND make his bosses look stupid.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let's not pretend he needed to apologize, as there are very few people who give a poo poo about the Roma.

It was such a weird situation because nobody expected Peter David, a man who had written the likes of Quicksilver well for years, to suddenly go on an insane tirade about the Roma based on something a tour guide told him like 25 years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think the fact that this guy snuck this stuff into a comic is the greater offense in the eyes of Marvel. Like he knew what he was putting in there wouldn't be approved, so he was sneaky about it. That's different from Peter David saying some horrible poo poo at a con, it'd be like if Peter David snuck that rant into a comic. It'd be racist AND make his bosses look stupid.

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's not a rant, it's a reference to a local political issue that 99.% of readers were completely unaware of. But since it's about religion... :yikes:

Lightning Lord posted:

I think there's a lot of resentment against "the big 2" out there. Maybe they just think he's a sellout.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

A new series began about a month ago.

Oh poo poo I had no idea, I'm morbidly curious to see how it will turn out especially with how it first ended essentially kinda burning a whole character to the ground suddenly. With Wiebe saying he was working through some dark stuff.

Totally not chat for this thread sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not a rant, it's a reference to a local political issue that 99.% of readers were completely unaware of. But since it's about religion... :yikes:

I think there's a lot of resentment against "the big 2" out there. Maybe they just think he's a sellout.

Specifically religious intolerance yeah.

Why are you trying so hard to misrepresent the issue.

• Locked thread