Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Does anyone like camping?

Camping is the best. What are you on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I do enjoy doing it. Mainly cause I like nature and I like hiking. But I am weird.

(Also, I ahve nostalgia for it)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

My current dream is to save up a lot of money, and then live in the woods

I'll pitch in $20 to send you into the woods with no Internet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'd guess that African-Americans don't like camping because heading out into the middle of nowhere where the folks are very white and very odd and very armed might be a little scary.

It's scary for everyone. Something I learned when I was having a party at my cabin in the woods and the morning after some of the hungover people from that party opened the door and was greeted by two guys with shotguns who politely asked if they could borrow our trap so they could go skeet shooting.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
So is this "African-Americans don't like camping" thing a real story or something Tinsley made up from a hazy recollection of watching a stand up special while blitzed?

Anyways, camping is pretty cool when done right, and avocados are awesome. The again, I also enjoy political cartoons.

The Good Ones

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandpuppy posted:

The again, I also enjoy political cartoons.

Nobody who posts in this thread enjoys political cartoons.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This is rad.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wait, how was the equal protection clause shattered by the nuclear option? And if it's the appointment of Gorsuch, how are Democrats to blame?

Internet Webguy posted:

Merrick Wholand?

quote:

Being mean and stupid is how he got elected, it's called identifying with your constituency.

It turns out being mean and stupid is not unconstitutional.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm very disappointed with the GIS results for this term, Get creative cartoonists.

Try Calamity Bannon.

Alhazred posted:

Does anyone like camping?

Alhazred posted:

It's scary for everyone. Something I learned when I was having a party at my cabin in the woods and the morning after some of the hungover people from that party opened the door and was greeted by two guys with shotguns who politely asked if they could borrow our trap so they could go skeet shooting.

The hell artifact in the basement did you disturb to get "polite rednecks"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

The hell artifact in the basement did you disturb to get "polite rednecks"?

Maybe the photo of my grandfather sitting next to literally hundreds of dead squirrels?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sandpuppy posted:

So is this "African-Americans don't like camping" thing a real story or something Tinsley made up from a hazy recollection of watching a stand up special while blitzed?

Anyways, camping is pretty cool when done right, and avocados are awesome. The again, I also enjoy political cartoons.

It's been discussed in outdoor recreation studies for some time now, Drunk Duck probably just happened across it now.

What it boils down to is black slaves and laborers worked in terrible conditions outdoors, so pursuing recreation in a similar setting wouldn't have made any sense. Then just like many other paces, there was segregation during the Jim Crow Era in National Parks. Interest in things like camping tends to be learned as children, so that nostalgia factor doesn't exist. And now, they're not only facing massive crowds of white people, but there's a definite sense of elitism that exists within the subculture, plus gear tends to be expensive. Add all those together, and no, camping doesn't seem like much fun.

Edit: Here's an article from March 23 in MarketWatch. Maybe he saw it.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-changing-face-of-camping-record-numbers-of-minorities-hit-the-trails-2017-03-22

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2017

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unless you mean "March 23rd 1994" I seriously doubt it given the rants about torn jeans and bottled water that preceded this "I hate black people!!!" ejaculation.

Unless Tinsley just discovered that racist and disgusting "ghetto hikes" Twitter account, that seems the kind of "fwd fwd fwd" poo poo that would be right up his alley.

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 11, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Trump administration and Syria – The US secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, says his country will come to the defence of innocent civilians ‘anywhere in the world’ ahead of a visit to Moscow"

Telegraph:

Saturday's Independent:

After Emanuel Leutze.

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The Barclays 'whistleblower'

'You're wasting your time, sir. The cleaning lady was on holiday in Skegness at the time of the whistle blowing.'

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sandpuppy posted:

The Good Ones

What the gently caress? What the gently caress? What the gently caress?

Does Varvel even read the news? Does he think the Syrians who were just gassed were Christians? But that's not Egypt, it's Syria. :psyduck:

If Varvel happens to be reading this, CHRISTIANS AREN'T PERSECUTED FOR THEIR FAITH, YOU DUMB gently caress. That's MUSLIMS. You're thinking of MUSLIMS. You know, like, the people who live in Egypt? The country you're referencing? That you apparently know nothing about? :psyboom:

I don't know if you heard about this "persecuted Egyptian Christians" bullshit on Breitbart, or from your mom, or from your church (Southern Baptist, I presume?) but whoever it is, loving :sever:. There aren't any Christians in the Middle East! That's why Republicans wouldn't give a poo poo if everyone there died!

...Varvel's not one of the people like Garrison who's done a PizzaGate cartoon, is he? This is on that same level of nuts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A Coptic church was bombed in Egypt you spaz

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And while I agree that it's lovely that Evangelicals only focus on Christian civilians getting murdered, that... doesn't mean there aren't any Christians at all in the Middle East. :psyduck:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's you, you're the one with the hastily formulated bad take. Gaze too long into the abyss and all that, I suppose.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

A Coptic church was bombed in Egypt you spaz

Is this, like, actual news, or just, like, half a dozen people loving around in a foreign country they don't even belong in? Given that Egyptians are Muslims, I'm pretty loving sure it's the latter. Are we supposed to care every time some dumbass suburban missionary steps on a landmine while taking a vacation in a war zone? Seriously stop regurgitating evangelical talking points

Regalingualius posted:

And while I agree that it's lovely that Evangelicals only focus on Christian civilians getting murdered, that... doesn't mean there aren't any Christians at all in the Middle East. :psyduck:

Okay, maybe I was being a bit absolute, but they're not a very significant demographic there. :psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

21 Muns posted:

Is this, like, actual news, or just, like, half a dozen people loving around in a foreign country they don't even belong in? Given that Egyptians are Muslims, I'm pretty loving sure it's the latter. Are we supposed to care every time some dumbass suburban missionary steps on a landmine while taking a vacation in a war zone? Seriously stop regurgitating evangelical talking points

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/04/09/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-egypt-church-attacks/22032407/

Goddamn you're stupid

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

21 Muns posted:

Holy poo poo here it is, the hottest take about civilians being bombed. There are, in fact, Egyptian Copts and they did, in fact, get bombed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

21 Muns posted:

Okay, maybe I was being a bit absolute, but they're not a very significant demographic there. :psyduck:

They've been there for almost 2000 years and there are over 15 million of them in Egypt.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
We've got a live one here, reel him in boys!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Camel Camus posted:

Hooooo boy if ever there were two things that don't ever need to meet they'd be the PolToons Thread and WH40K.
I disagree entirely. And we already have God Emperor Trump.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AOL? Seriously?

TGLT posted:

Holy poo poo here it is, the hottest take about civilians being bombed. There are, in fact, Egyptian Copts and they did, in fact, get bombed.

Okay, I may have misjudged the significance of this, but I still think it's a pretty lovely thing to do a cartoon on. Varvel wouldn't have drawn what he did if it had been a mosque.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

21 Muns posted:

AOL? Seriously?

Okay, I may have misjudged the significance of this, but I still think it's a pretty lovely thing to do a cartoon on. Varvel wouldn't have drawn what he did if it had been a mosque.

Christianity originated in the Middle East and has been a fairly significant presence there ever since, even if it is a numerical minority in the last several centuries.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

21 Muns posted:

AOL? Seriously?

Is that seriously your defense for being too stupid to do a cursory googling before you made an rear end of yourself?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I refuse to believe this idiot is real. Nope, I'm not falling for it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
And yes, Christians are perscuted in parts the Middle East, you know, like the violence under ISIS which the UN has classified as a genocide?

There are Christians who are tortured, murdered and imprisoned for their faith. And no, that doesn't mean angry people from the States complaining about coffee cups or whatever, people are are literally attacked in the third world because of what they believe.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I also like how at its core, this argument could insanely easily be used by a right wing dumbfuck saying that focusing on hate crimes against Muslims and mosque bombings in the US is stupid. They should know not to be here, and its not like they're a significant prescence.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

21 Muns posted:

No, you absolutely did. Also, no one is defending Varvel's lovely cartoon, just criticizing your jump to conclusions idiocy on the middle east.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Picnic Princess posted:

I refuse to believe this idiot is real. Nope, I'm not falling for it.

He's making even ME feel better about myself.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

If Varvel happens to be reading this, CHRISTIANS AREN'T PERSECUTED FOR THEIR FAITH, YOU DUMB gently caress.

In the Middle East, they are, along with other religious minorities such as the Yazidi or the Baha'i.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Copts

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I will concede that I hosed up, but I still maintain that we shouldn't let Varvel and company get away with pretending to care about what happens to these people when they openly don't give a poo poo about any other religious persecutions including the persecution of Muslims by the United States.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

21 Muns posted:

I will concede that I hosed up, but I still maintain that we shouldn't let Varvel and company get away with pretending to care about what happens to these people when they openly don't give a poo poo about any other religious persecutions including the persecution of Muslims by the United States.

No one is defending Varvels cartoon dumbass.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Tinsley retire bitch

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No one is defending Varvels cartoon dumbass.

I know, but it was what motivated me to post in the first place, so although I definitely made a really stupid mistake, it does ultimately come down to Varvel and his friends being heartless dipshits.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

21 Muns posted:

CHRISTIANS AREN'T PERSECUTED FOR THEIR FAITH, YOU DUMB gently caress. That's MUSLIMS. You're thinking of MUSLIMS. You know, like, the people who live in Egypt? The country you're referencing? That you apparently know nothing about? :psyboom:

Jesus gently caress you colossal idiot. Copts have been persecuted into near oblivion in Egypt in the last half-century or so; to a greater extent than has happened since the original Arab Conquests of Egypt some 1200+ years ago. Whether it means being targeted by random acts of violence or by institutional government oppression there is a reason that Copts are only ~10% of Egypt's population but make up nearly half of the Egyptian diaspora abroad.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

21 Muns posted:

Forums Goon 21 Muns Makes 4th Christian Clarification of the Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

21 Muns posted:

I know, but it was what motivated me to post in the first place, so although I definitely made a really stupid mistake, it does ultimately come down to Varvel and his friends being heartless dipshits.

Just gently caress off already

• Locked thread