Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lockback posted:

Yeah, selection bias is a helluva thing. But kids that age act like kids that age. This has been true for generations, and it's true almost entirely globally.

I'm not going to pretend I was any different. I was a big idiot for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Wait you guys are on grandma's side? Regardless of how you feel about baby pictures if the parents ask you not to do something don't do it. It's a very bad precedent, grandma has no "rights" to post pictures, and relatives that add undue burden to new parents are terrible. It's not an unreasonable request (like withholding vaccines or something) and if she had an issue with it she could have talked about it instead of steamrolling the parents.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the parents are exactly how anyone raised by people like grandma could be expected to grow up

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

derra posted:

Wait you guys are on grandma's side? Regardless of how you feel about baby pictures if the parents ask you not to do something don't do it. It's a very bad precedent, grandma has no "rights" to post pictures, and relatives that add undue burden to new parents are terrible. It's not an unreasonable request (like withholding vaccines or something) and if she had an issue with it she could have talked about it instead of steamrolling the parents.
Are you aware that photographers retain the rights to their pictures, not the subjects? So yes, grandma absolutely has that "right".

Too bad they couldn't work it out like adults.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

derra posted:

You're right, and she probably will try to raise the grandchild her own way and ignore their input forever if this isn't nipped in the bud now, but oh my god is it hard to sympathize with the whiniest babies in this story (the parents).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

Are you aware that photographers retain the rights to their pictures, not the subjects? So yes, grandma absolutely has that "right".

Too bad they couldn't work it out like adults.

are you aware that "correcting" someone with completely wrong information is the #1 cause of looking dumb as hell on the Internet

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

derra posted:

Yeah, even if one of the reasons for the request is stupid, it's not an unreasonable request.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Facebook is really just an online baby catalog for baby snatchers. Make sure that nobody wants your baby by giving the baby a large ugly facial scar.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
They have a 1 month old baby, who required an extended hospital stay. They are new parents adjusting to a crying baby and are exhausted. They had an unwanted houseguest who keeps trampling over their wishes. I give their story more credibility because it's the wife complaining about her mom and I assume she knows what grandma is like as a parent.

Sure I wouldn't bitch on reddit about it but otherwise I'm completely on their side.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I just figured it went without saying grandma is over the line and #1 most likely candidate to actually try to steal the baby but we're not a courtroom and that's less funny so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can't keep that baby out of public forever, and legally you can take pictures of people in public. So you might as well learn to deal with it now, while your all natural baby is still snatchable.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

are you aware that "correcting" someone with completely wrong information is the #1 cause of looking dumb as hell on the Internet
Except it isn't wrong. Grandma isn't breaking any rules. She's just not being very nice.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
And all that is before grandma accused the father of thinking baby was ugly.

Well, you can't take the pictures back, but this should be very instructive on how much access grandma should have in the future.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

model releases aren't a courtesy, Gawker didn't just give Hulk Hogan all their money because they felt bad about upsetting him, there's pretty extensively defined law on the conditions under which you can and can't distribute pictures of another person, and sneaking pictures of a baby in its house against the express wishes of its parents is firmly on the 'can't' side; you don't have any clue what you're talking about

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 11, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They all sound like they deserve each other. That poor child.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What a conundrum.

If the baby gets snatched, it will spend its life in a dungeon, imprisoned by a twisted kidnapper.

If the baby avoids snatching, it will spend its life in a dungeon, imprisoned by its paranoid parents to keep it safe from baby snatchers.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

model releases aren't a courtesy, Gawker didn't just give Hulk Hogan all their money because they felt bad about upsetting him, there's pretty extensively defined law on the conditions under which you can and can't distribute pictures of another person, and sneaking pictures of a baby in its house against the express wishes of its parents is firmly on the 'can't' side; you don't have any clue what you're talking about
Yeah, grandma putting pics of her grandkid on FB is totally analogous to Hulk Hogan being secretly recorded having sex. Totally the same thing. I'm sure grandma is going to be destroyed in court.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

derra posted:

They have a 1 month old baby, who required an extended hospital stay. They are new parents adjusting to a crying baby and are exhausted. They had an unwanted houseguest who keeps trampling over their wishes. I give their story more credibility because it's the wife complaining about her mom and I assume she knows what grandma is like as a parent.

Sure I wouldn't bitch on reddit about it but otherwise I'm completely on their side.

100% correct. everyone shut the gently caress up about what is and isn't "legal" and recognize that these two struggle muppets need a loving nap.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The dad doesn't even have a problem with the pictures!

*Goons immediately focus on baby-snatching, ignore all the obnoxious things grandma is doing while she stomps her feet about Facebook posting rights*

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
It jumps out much like a mom choosing not to vaccinate because of autism.

I'd have more sympathy if the reason wasn't fear of childhood abduction, lol.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 11, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is the "Grandma should have gotten a release form to prevent people from wanting to steal babby" in the top quintile of dumbest derails in this thread or no? It's hard to keep track.

I wanted to not accidentally get a handjob while getting a massage from a Korean senior citizen, but then I did and I know why...

Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

I [27] received a happy ending at one of the most well reviewed/well known spas in Manhattan the day my wife [23] went out of town. I really need input on how to deal with what feels like irreparable damage to our relationship.

quote:

First, let me explain our relationship. We’ve been married for about a year and it has been everything I could have hoped. She is absolutely the love of my life. I could go on and on about how amazing our relationship has been but you can take me at my word. We do everything together and are fairly codependent, but in a good way for the time-being.

Now to explain the events that transpired a few days ago that have racked me with soul-crushing guilt. I booked a massage at a very reputable spa with the intent of spoiling myself on a day when I knew I would be having a very difficult time with my wife being gone. I told her I was planning it and she raised an eyebrow because she know all too well how expensive spas are in Manhattan, but she understood it was part of my coping with her absence. Before going to the appointment, I vaped some very strong weed. I had always wanted to go to a massage high and it was the perfect opportunity. As soon as I got outside paranoia started creeping in. I, like many people, get anxious when the weed is too strong and there are strangers everywhere. Anyway, I arrived at the spa and it was pretty nice. Marble floors, courteous receptionist, lots of other spa-goers. Rating the quality of the place, it was somewhere in between Equinox and 24-Hour Fitness. It was def legit, as I had thought it would be when I chose the spot.

The massage therapist was very good (Korean in her 60s) and very professional. After about 45 minutes of business as usual, she started to massage me in places I did not expect. All I could think was is this seriously happening? All she said was, “this is just a massage.” Well, it wasn’t. Of course it felt good but I knew I didn’t want it. For some f-ing reason, I didn’t tell her to stop. I think I may have been too timid, feeling like I’m in this reputable place and if I don’t go along with it then they’d have reason to think I may go to the police or something. Maybe some irrational paranoia resulting from the Kush. So I let her continue and finished after 20 seconds. Being 27, I can last a long time pretty easily but I wanted it to be over. I immediately got up, paid for the full 90 minute massage and got out of there. That was not what I was looking for and I truly felt violated. Having someone touch me other than my wife felt indescribably bad. Like the worst thing I’ve ever done/had happen to me. One question I keep asking myself is “did I cheat?”
In a panic, I called my best friend after my wife didn’t answer and confessed to him and asked for his advice on what to do. The gist of that conversation was go with your gut. So I did, and called her immediately to confess. I was still a bit stoned, and I’m concerned that in my panic/cloudy state I didn’t explain things to her very well. At this point, she says she knows I didn’t go looking for it but she is really upset that I didn’t stop it. (I’m just as upset and dumbfounded about that too) She comes back in a few days and I really want to handle this right. I often let emotions get in the way of clear communication so I need to know exactly what to say and how to act before I see her.

She has asked for space until she gets back and I’ve given it to her, which has been monumentally difficult because I’m used to a constant flow of communication. So, if you were her, returning after a spring break trip with your best friend to your husband who has made this confession - how would you want your SO to handle things? She initially expressed that she wants to fix things and move on, but the next day she said she is having a really difficult time with her emotions and feels like a part of her is permanently damaged. Now I am wondering how I should act when I see her. Should I act as I normally would - super excited and happy to see her again. In a great mood to have her back. Or should I take a more sullen approach to express my remorse. She knows I’m remorseful, but phone calls and texts can only go so far. I don’t want to seem like it wasn’t a big deal to me. This will be my cross to bare. It weighs heavily on my soul. I’m scared that expressing guilt will make me look more guilty than I am. And I’m more scared of her hurting her further.
Any input on the situation is very welcome. If anyone wants to reprimand my stupidity, go for it. But I definitely beat you to the punch on that both literally and figuratively.

tl;dr: Got a happy ending without asking but didn't stop it. Confessed to my wife who is out of town this week and need advice on how to handle things moving forward.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, grandma putting pics of her grandkid on FB is totally analogous to Hulk Hogan being secretly recorded having sex. Totally the same thing. I'm sure grandma is going to be destroyed in court.

correct, she would.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The paparazzi can only function because public spaces can be photographed and those photographs distributed. I didn't say that taking pictures in the house was protected, but I am saying that you cannot keep that baby out of public spaces, so if that grandma wants pictures, by God she is going to get them. So you might as will deal with the idea that your baby is going to get his picture taken and suck it the gently caress up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also I would laugh in my husband's face if he went high to get a massage and accidentally got jerked off by an elderly Korean and cried

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

derra posted:

The dad doesn't even have a problem with the pictures!

*Goons immediately focus on baby-snatching, ignore all the obnoxious things grandma is doing while she stomps her feet about Facebook posting rights*

This

Facebook is loving cancer and it brings out the worst in old people

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Pick posted:

The paparazzi can only function because public spaces can be photographed and those photographs distributed. I didn't say that taking pictures in the house was protected, but I am saying that you cannot keep that baby out of public spaces, so if that grandma wants pictures, by God she is going to get them. So you might as will deal with the idea that your baby is going to get his picture taken and suck it the gently caress up.

There's a huge loving difference between someone taking a picture with you in it and someone taking pictures of your child, specifically, and posting them on social media.
It would still be poo poo to take pictures against someone's stated wishes in the first case mind you

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pick posted:

the paparazzi take picture of public figures from public land. Two big variables.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

yeah sure you have no hope of eliminating all record of your babby's existence indefinitely that was in response to the paint chips for breakfast crew's "um ACTUALLY anyone who manages to snap a photo of you gains total ownership of your image and probably your soul". if some creeper is sneaking pictures of your infant and posting them online then whether you have a reasonable grasp of risk and modern medicine or not, you don't have to just suck it up because some creeper will get in eventually.

Lockback posted:

Is the "Grandma should have gotten a release form to prevent people from wanting to steal babby" in the top quintile of dumbest derails in this thread or no? It's hard to keep track.

I wanted to not accidentally get a handjob while getting a massage from a Korean senior citizen, but then I did and I know why...

Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

I [27] received a happy ending at one of the most well reviewed/well known spas in Manhattan the day my wife [23] went out of town. I really need input on how to deal with what feels like irreparable damage to our relationship.

cmon this isn't difficult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4oXXL1a5A

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"hey mom can you not post pictures of our kid online?"

"excuse me? my copyright lawyer and i will see your rear end in court!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pick posted:

Also I would laugh in my husband's face if he went high to get a massage and accidentally got jerked off by an elderly Korean and cried

She needs space because she doesn't want to laugh so hard she pisses herself when she sees him again.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Read this again; he booked a massage and a day he knew it was going to be very "difficult for him" because he was so distraught that his wife would be gone for a week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't even know about this one. If you feel like skipping the content you get the gist from the title.

My(27F) boyfriends(27M) bestfriend(27M) ate my betta fish

quote:

I am still in shock. This happened over the weekend. My boyfriend of 8 months, Ill call him Joe, and I planned to have people over and enjoy the weather by making a bonfire in my back yard. The party was going well and Joe had all his close friends attend. His closes friend, Ill call him Richard, and I have always been cordial but I find him loud and obnoxious and generally just do not like him. There are many reasons why I do not like him including him telling me very inappropriate jokes about women and weight that I do not find funny, him calling me an inappropriate name, him disrespecting my relationship with Joe by bringing up Joe's past relationships, him keeping a pair of prescription glasses accidentally left at his house, the list goes on. Although I do not care for Richard I have always encouraged Joe and his friendship.

So the party goes well and everyone seemed to have a good time. They all head out me and Joe go to bed. Joe had to work Sunday so he woke up and went to work. I spent the day with my mother. Fast forward to Joe coming home from work, clearly distraught and begins to tell me Richard ate my betta fish at the party the night before. I am in complete shock and disbelief.

I believe this guy did this in a malicious way to hurt me and to drive a wedge between me and Joe. Joe explained to me that he received a phone call from Richard around noon telling him he ate my fish. Richard wanted Joe to buy me a new fish and slip it in the tank before I could realize the old one was gone!! Joe told him he was completely in the wrong and needed to contact me and apologize and get me a new fish. Richard says "there is no way I can face that music" and Joe says that if Richard does not tell me he will. Richard has the audacity to tell Joe that it will make him look awful for not stopping him!!!!??! Joe was completely unaware that Richard ate the fish (all of the party goers were unaware he ate the fish)!
So Joe comes home (with a new fish) and tells me, I am a complete mess. Sad, hurt, furious. I can not get over it. I feel like Richard knew exactly what he was doing. He did it with intent to cause harm to me. I have reason to believe he does not like me, I mean who in their right mind EATS A PET FISH? I invited this guy into MY home and he disrespects me by eating my fish! I do not know how to move on. I told Joe I never want to see Richard again. The kicker is me and Joe just signed a lease to move in together but I told Joe, Richard is not welcome at our new home. Joe has been more than understanding and is on my side and is also very hurt.

Am I right to want Joe to no longer associate with Richard? A part of me feels really bad for telling Joe that he should no longer consider this person a friend (I have never done that regarding anyone else in his life) but apart of me feels like if Joe continues to hang out with Richard, Richard will think I am not worthy of respect and his actions have no consequences?

tl;dr: Had a party. My boyfriends best friend ate my pet betta. Never want to see this guy again and want my boyfriend to stop hanging out with him. Don't know if this is a healthy request?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mods change my name to "abducted baby sex tape trial"

and if that's too long, "fisheater friend-in-law"

the bitcoin of weed fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 11, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lockback posted:

I don't even know about this one. If you feel like skipping the content you get the gist from the title.

im sorry this is just hilarious lol

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Yeah the biggest issue his wife is going to have is ever taking him seriously again.

I'm kind of impressed by the massage therapist's man milking skills, though. That's nigh industrial levels of precision and pumping expertise.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lockback posted:

don't skip the content it's the 'what does this lawyer seek to gain from having sex with me' of pet eating

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
fish eating one is bizarre, good thing her dog was with her

No self-awareness on this one:
Not sure what my [m34] neighbor [f 20] is up to for the past few months. Been showing her self in the most minimalistic of clothing either in her back yard / pool and also notice her quite often in her room/home (when no is around) walking bare. What is she trying to get at?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tiny Deer posted:

Yeah the biggest issue his wife is going to have is ever taking him seriously again.

I'm kind of impressed by the massage therapist's man milking skills, though. That's nigh industrial levels of precision and pumping expertise.

I want to meet her and shake her hand (after she's washed them. And I'm wearing two pairs of gloves, but still.)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the fact that it includes the guy planning a sitcom caper of replacing the fish puts it into :discourse: territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

fish eating one is bizarre, good thing her dog was with her

No self-awareness on this one:
Not sure what my [m34] neighbor [f 20] is up to for the past few months. Been showing her self in the most minimalistic of clothing either in her back yard / pool and also notice her quite often in her room/home (when no is around) walking bare. What is she trying to get at?

:stonk: NOT TRYING TO gently caress YOU THAT'S FOR SURE BUD