Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't want to tell people they aren't having fun, but I just have serious problems with this game. Here are a few I've had with the beta:

-Unit cards are an absolute mess and completely indistinguishable. They all have the same color and look like a mish-mash of art. I can't look at a row of unit cards and instinctively pick out a tactical marine from an assault marine as they all look like this reddish orange mesh of colors with no discernable features in the portraits. I'll compliment that I like that they have all units lined up on the bottom like Total War does, but I dislike how difficult it is to tell unit cards apart, which was a problem with the release version of Rome 2.

-We are in the year 2017 and WASD camera controls are standard with most RTS games and possible with almost all of them through key editing. It is stupid that it isn't even an option in this game and why Relic seems to want to die on the hill of people not customizing controls is so strange on a platform that prides itself on customization.

-The camera feels like it can't zoom in or zoom out as far as I ever want it to. I understand camera limitations in games based on design context, but the limits for DoW 3 don't feel right for the game they're in. Zooming in and out for the sake of mouse stroke adjustment or to get a better view of the field without being forced to pan the camera, or hell just getting a better view of units or fights in-game are important to me and a lot of other people.

-The UI layout seems improved but it's still fragmented. Even when RTSes claim a good chunk of the screen, they often make sure to at least try to compartmentalize it by putting them on some kind of stone/metal background field so that this spot is for what's going on in the game, and this spot where all of the buttons and info goes. With DoW 3, buttons are just strewn in different places throughout the screen without being sectionalized so that you can have a ton of buttons with gameplay happening between them.

I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that this is going to be flat combat on flat planes, but I feel like a lot of these are pretty fair criticisms of problems with the game as is and as intended that could be fixed.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Plan Z posted:

I don't want to tell people they aren't having fun, but I just have serious problems with this game. Here are a few I've had with the beta:

-Unit cards are an absolute mess and completely indistinguishable. They all have the same color and look like a mish-mash of art. I can't look at a row of unit cards and instinctively pick out a tactical marine from an assault marine as they all look like this reddish orange mesh of colors with no discernable features in the portraits. I'll compliment that I like that they have all units lined up on the bottom like Total War does, but I dislike how difficult it is to tell unit cards apart, which was a problem with the release version of Rome 2.

Definitely agreed there. The interesting thing is that they actually have really good, distinctive art for the unit cards - Tactical Marines even change their card art when you upgrade them with flamers or plasma, making it so you can recognize these upgrades at a glance - but the unit cards are so small that they can be hard to parse. In general most of my problems with the game right now have to do with the interface, which has a few obvious blunders IMO.

Overall I'm liking the look and feel of the game, but the interface feels a bit "experimental" to me. Why move the map to the bottom right instead of putting it in the bottom left like other games? Why use interface space on the base health bars, which are scarcely relevant at all? On the plus side, these things are easy to fix, but it's a little worrisome to see obvious interface problems (not being able to get tooltips from Elites/Doctrines on mouseover in loading screen) two weeks from release.

That said, I gotta give a shoutout to the faction designers - the Orks in particular are amazingly characterful in this. I think this is my favorite Ork army in any Dawn of War game - the WAAAAAAGH towers are a very characterful mechanic that really amps up the tension. When facing Orks, you'll suddenly hear yells and electric guitars building up in the fog of war - that's when things are about to get real, and scrambling to get the flamers and Devastators in place as the WAAAAAAGH builds is always intense. In general the Orks feel extremely "Mad Max" in this one - I almost expect them to make a Doof Wagon upgrade for the WAAAAAGH towers that lets them ride into battle with your army. It's awesome.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 8, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fetterkey posted:

In general the Orks feel extremely "Mad Max" in this one

Heard from one of the designers in person that that's very much intentional, they drew a lot from the warboys in this one.

The map placements kind of a moot point given you can pick which side each UI element shows up on anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEusT5JfUI

DOW2 Caster Indrid weighs in on the Beta.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEusT5JfUI

DOW2 Caster Indrid weighs in on the Beta.

I have no excitement left for this game and this is coming from someone who creamed his pants when it was first announced. At this point I just hope that it's not a complete commercial failure so there will be a chance to get things right with DoW4.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 10, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Senjuro posted:

I have no left excitement for this game and this is coming from someone who creamed his pants when it was first announced. At this point I just hope that it's not a complete commercial failure so there will be a chance to get things right with DoW4.

I was looking forward to this game because I like the fluff and don't want to get into the miniatures, but yeah, I am not very excited about it anymore either.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
To each their own, pretty much my only gripe at this point is stuff like Gabriel not being team coloured.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I've watched a few streams of DOW3 and the one thing that kills me is how you can't see a loving thing during combat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow this doesn't look good. Whatever, guess I'll go play DoW: Dark Crusade again! Whee!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Going to disagree with thread, got beta access and had tons of fun actually. And i was not having a good impression before getting to try it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To each their own. I got beta access, played once as each team and didn't bother playing again. I'll give it another go when the OB's out so I can play it with my brother but there's no way I'm getting this.

E: Don't mind the overall visuals but the effects are too busy, yeah.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing wrong with that either, no point in getting it if you are not enjoying it :). I do recommend people to give the open beta a try with an open mind though, i got surprised and it might surprise others as well.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Noir89 posted:

Going to disagree with thread, got beta access and had tons of fun actually. And i was not having a good impression before getting to try it out.

I'd love to be wrong about this but it just looks like such a huge step back from DoW2. The cover system is gone. The graphics style is a lot more cartoony which I'd understand if the point was to make it easier to understand what's going on but then they cranked up the effects to 11 so they ended up achieving the complete opposite. I mean just look at this poo poo. Even with all those effects covering the screen it all feels so static compared to the utter destruction left by DoW2's battles. I've barely noticed a few marks left on the floor in all the footage I've seen. The base building looks so simplistic that it feels like it's there just to shut people up. There seems to be a lot of downtime too.

It all reeks of Relic chasing e-sports yet again and they'll fail at it like they always do. I guess with the open beta I'll know for sure soon enough.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

The battles don't really feel static when playing, i was constantly trying to avoid AoEs by splitting units, kiting melee and microing my own. Also tried to pull out wonded and focused squads out of range, using abilities. The base building i mostly agree with, though it does add the need to build forward bases for faster reinforcement. I definatly plays more like DoW 1 than 2. I didn't have any issues seeing what was going on in battles. As in most RTS games, downtime is up to you to make sure it's not happening. You can always get out some rangers och scout snipers and harass groups, try and find openings etc. I will say i much prefered 1v1 and 2v2 than 3v3, but that was true for me in DoW 2 as well, i just prefer smaller game modes in general.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

The gameplay honestly looks boring as poo poo but I'd still buy it if there was Last Stand.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kill All Humans posted:

The gameplay honestly looks boring as poo poo but I'd still buy it if there was Last Stand.

It's weird as hell that there isn't, especially since Relic released a new character for LS shortly before announcing this game.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's weird as hell that there isn't, especially since Relic released a new character for LS shortly before announcing this game.

Last Stand is probably just a lower priority for them right now and putting it off until later allows them sell it as additional DLC, unfortunately.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

did any of you beta people try out each faction to see how they actually compare to one another in terms of gameplay and feel?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Senjuro posted:

I'd love to be wrong about this but it just looks like such a huge step back from DoW2. The cover system is gone. The graphics style is a lot more cartoony which I'd understand if the point was to make it easier to understand what's going on but then they cranked up the effects to 11 so they ended up achieving the complete opposite. I mean just look at this poo poo. Even with all those effects covering the screen it all feels so static compared to the utter destruction left by DoW2's battles. I've barely noticed a few marks left on the floor in all the footage I've seen. The base building looks so simplistic that it feels like it's there just to shut people up. There seems to be a lot of downtime too.

It all reeks of Relic chasing e-sports yet again and they'll fail at it like they always do. I guess with the open beta I'll know for sure soon enough.

I noticed more "battle aftermath" (corpses staying on field longer, crashed Land Speeders, blood spatters, etc.) than I did with Dawn of War II.

Base building isn't Starcraft, but placement and structure choice matters a lot (at least for Marines and Orks - I didn't play as Eldar and they have somewhat different building mechanics, which I don't fully understand). There is some downtime, but realistically not more than there was following a big retreat in Company of Heroes 2 or Dawn of War II.

I also agree with Noir89 with respect to the battles feeling very dynamic. I was showing the game to two friends yesterday, and they were like "whoa, that looks awesome" after units were flung into the air by a grenade - something that I hadn't even noticed, because as soon as I gave the grenade command I was switching to another element of the battle. Micro can get pretty intense, especially since there isn't a one-button retreat - but I can see why given the way forward basing works in this game and the way it (didn't) work with retreat paths in previous Relic games.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

I noticed more "battle aftermath" (corpses staying on field longer, crashed Land Speeders, blood spatters, etc.) than I did with Dawn of War II.

The body count is bigger and more noticeable, I'll give it that, but it can't compete with DoW2 map deformation. After a while even the bodies in 3 disappear, in 2 destroyed structures and craters (which can act as replacement cover too) are permanent.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Senjuro posted:

The body count is bigger and more noticeable, I'll give it that, but it can't compete with DoW2 map deformation. After a while even the bodies in 3 disappear, in 2 destroyed structures and craters (which can act as replacement cover too) are permanent.

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that once beta comes back up. Now that you mention it I don't remember craters sticking around - I sorta got inured to it and stopped actively noticing them in DoW2/CoH2, so I wasn't looking for it here. I'll let you know what I find - I'm pretty sure the bubble covers leave permanent wreckage when destroyed, as do forward buildings, shield gens, etc., but I'm not sure if abilities leave permanent craters anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't think of any game, Rts or shooter, that can compare to dawn of war 2's terrain destruction. Not even red faction guerrilla matches the complete hellscapes late match maps turn into.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can't think of any game, Rts or shooter, that can compare to dawn of war 2's terrain destruction. Not even red faction guerrilla matches the complete hellscapes late match maps turn into.

I always just remember Dawn of War 2's cover being completely removed by the late game. All walls and obstacles you could use for cover were just destroyed.

I don't remember ever looking at background objects and terrain though either so maybe those got messed up too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

my nigga have u tried Men of War

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Arcsquad12 posted:

World in Conflict did map deformation better than any game ever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The RPG aspects of DOW2 is what I enjoyed the most. I wish they would have doubled down on that instead, and given us full skill trees, customizable character classes, items with sets, etc. etc.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

BFBC2 was pretty awesome on maps with lots of buildings. I wish the Battlefield series had stayed focused on that kind of thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fetterkey posted:

BFBC2 was pretty awesome on maps with lots of buildings. I wish the Battlefield series had stayed focused on that kind of thing.

Blowing up a wall then running through the hole to blindside a bunch of dudes with your shotgun was good gaming.

I'm becoming more and more cautiously optimistic about this game despite being a miserable nay sayer. I want to enjoy it.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

my nigga have u tried Men of War

Which was still a step down from it's predecessor, Soldiers, where just about every part of the map was forfeit if you applied the right force.

Psycho Landlord posted:

World in Conflict did map deformation better than any game ever.

Matches that went nuclear were always incredible for the 'what's even left to fight over' factor.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

An overview of Doctrines (and other stuff).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvYeM3iFB4

Voice actors.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

That Ork guy looks like he's having a lot of fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently there's at least one Dobson brother involved, (Brian is voicing a few Space Marine squads), but other than that, I can't see anyone from the old cast. They really wanted british people to do the voice work this time around.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

No Steve Blum makes me sad :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Noir89 posted:

No Steve Blum makes me sad :(

If you average the amount voice acting Steve Blum did in DoW2 and the amount of voice acting he did in this game (0 i think), you'd still get too much Steve Blum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jokes posted:

If you average the amount voice acting Steve Blum did in DoW2 and the amount of voice acting he did in this game (0 i think), you'd still get too much Steve Blum.

This but Scott McNeil. Besides Steve Blum is already Lord Steve Blum the Inheritor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still miss Eliphas's Dark Crusade voice. I have no idea why they decided to change him from smarmy, smug, self-superior prick to bumbling idiot supervillain in Chaos Rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae6Fao42aHE

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 13, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

They changed him back in Retribution, so it's aight.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

This game looks like dogshit. It's 2017 and we are still making command and conquer clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

good, C&C loving owns

• Locked thread