Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Nope. Active base next to an ops floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

Except what are those CGOs supposed to be doing for the first 2-4 years? Becoming world-class experts in their tactical field. What did they sign up to do? Fly. We've spent almost 20 years cutting training and cutting support personnel then pushing the flyers/maintainers/whatever into those support roles as additional duties that they're not trained for, and patting ourselves on the back for the double savings and it's bullshit. Readiness is trash, people are burning out, and most of the best/brightest are loving leaving as soon as they can which further cuts readiness. Half the people who stay in are doing it because they're close enough to retirement they can coast to retirement on passing PT scores, not getting a DUI, and camping out in the ADO shop. The other half are careerist hacks, patches, or, in the smallest minority, the good ones.

Edit: Unrelated news:

DC ANG F-16 went down in Maryland; pilot ejected safely and was plastered all over twitter before he even hit the ground.

I think we disagree on how hard the office job part is. IMO after IQT and MQT there isn't enough flying/studying a new LT can do that will actually fill up a 40hr work week. From what I've seen of students is they kill themselves in a year of training (after UNT/UPT), get to line flying, do 1-2 sorties a week and then do fuckall when they're not flying. Even the brand new pilots who give me crap about joining to fly not to work a desk don't actually spend 40hrs a week doing flying related duties. They do the same 1-2 sorties a week, do the 4-5 hours of "studying" (I've never actually seen one in a vault) a week and are conveniently nowhere to be found the rest of the time, which ends up being 2-3 half days each week. If 1 civ can do an entire shops function (which they can IMO), then 5-6 CGO's working 2-3 half days a week can handle the same workload.

I had a lot of jobs before I joined the AF, and I joined late. The AF is by far the easiest job I've ever had, and my late joining friends all wholeheartedly agree, so I really don't get the whole "I'm a pilot not an officer" thing comes from. You can easily do both, they just choose not to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'll just say that what you're describing is absolutely not universal.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah uh that's not how it worked in F-15C and F-22 squadrons.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hang all pilots

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Hang all pilots

Not all of them, how else am I going to get a case of Kinder Eggs back home for my daughters birthday party?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It still cracks me up that kinder eggs are banned because they contain toys and, supposedly, a kid could choke. If your kid can swallow a full-sized plastic egg they're probably old enough to know that part isn't food.

Ironically my kids hated the chocolate part and would just throw it away to get the lovely little playmobil toy inside.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The chocolate is loving disgusting. It's probably the worst I've ever had.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah the chocolate is pretty terrible, but for the price they will make a neat little party favor. Plus my daughter likes the random toys in them when I send them home in a gift or care package while deployed.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

"Once you graduate from basic, you're an adult" - two a1cs in the subway line discussing getting tongue piercings

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We had one guy turn 18 in basic so that's sorta true I guess

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Prop Wash posted:

"Once you graduate from basic, you're an adult" - two a1cs in the subway line discussing getting tongue piercings

:lol:

Boy, are they in for a surprise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I hope they get gangrene and need to get their tongues amputated.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
:lol: I know field grade officers with tongue piercings. The difference is that they're just smart enough to use a clear spacer while in uniform.

Why do you think sleeve tattoos are OK now? Enough officers with tattoos made it to General and got rid of the bullshit that was personally loving with them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're gross and I'm surprised they appeal to anyone who isn't a teenager.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Casimir Radon posted:

They're gross and I'm surprised they appeal to anyone who isn't a teenager.

I bet you are fun at parties.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
China deployed 150,00 troops to the northern border of North Korea.
South Korea is gearing up, whatever that means.
We're deploying a carrier strike group.
North Korea is interpreting the strikes in Syria as a warning and I think I remember reading something about them declaring that they're ready to fight to the death (can't find the article).

Hope none of you are there. This might get interesting.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Lol, I'm about to get on a boat to an island just off the nk coast. It's been a pleasure posting with you gentlemen.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/stop-loss-an-option-for-air-force-to-stem-pilots-departure-to-airlines-1.462909#.WOwGykrXeEc

Stop loss for Pilots? The Baseops.net message board is going crazy right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Air Force is 3,400 short of maintainers too. I wonder why :allears:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the brass world just get rid of smoke breaks and wearing civilian clothes off duty this morale problem would go away

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

If the brass world just get rid of smoke breaks and wearing civilian clothes off duty this morale problem would go away

"If morale reaches zero, then it'll reset. Perfect!"

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
My flight chief has instituted Blues Mondays for the enlisted for the first Monday of every month.

It's FOR moral obviously

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We just hired a guy who retired and is on terminal for another 2+ months. He seems really happy now that he's out.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Cenen posted:

My flight chief has instituted Blues Mondays for the enlisted for the first Monday of every month.

It's FOR moral obviously

Has anyone tried to politely inform him that he's a loving retard and ask what his god drat problem is?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Belgian Waffle posted:

Has anyone tried to politely inform him that he's a loving retard and ask what his god drat problem is?

He's a flight chief. Being a loving retard is how he makes CEM.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

“If I don’t have pilots to fly, the enemy has a vote, and if I can’t put warheads on foreheads, then (ISIS) is winning,” he said.

What is this unholy mess of logic

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Belgian Waffle posted:

They are retiring in mid June and since even the other SNCOs in our flight think it's balls out retarded I don't see it lasting long past that.

Edit: Or maybe July, all i know is since we missed the first of this month everyone came into work in Blues this morning except me since I came in on Sunday for the night shift and the email sure as gently caress didn't say Blues Sunday.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 11, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Hamlet442 posted:

Nope. Active base next to an ops floor.

Please tell me this happened at either Eglin or Nellis. My old unit was a figurative poo poo show, but having that transform into an actual poo poo show would be just grand.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

nullscan posted:

Lol, I'm about to get on a boat to an island just off the nk coast. It's been a pleasure posting with you gentlemen.

Wait how long have you been in Korea?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

the article posted:

The giant sucking sound from Air Force pilot ranks is only expected to grow louder in the years ahead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Giant sucking sound from the Air Force will continue. They are more undermanned in MX than they are in Pilots.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

From what I can tell the bloodbath on the enlisted side has actually been worse than on the officer side, but enlisted leadership is much better at covering things up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

From what I can tell the bloodbath on the enlisted side has actually been worse than on the officer side, but enlisted leadership is much better at covering things up

While I was outprocessing in March, there were at least 7-8 other guys from my unit also seperating. From the article yesterday, while Pilots are 1,500 under their manning goals, that same article said MX is 3,500 under their manning goals.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

One of my friends separated a couple weeks ago. She had to do her TAPS program way in advance. It's now booked solid for the next six months.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Eventually all pilots and MX will separate and the USAF will ascend to its ultimate state: nothing but a series of HQ staffs, MPS and Finance offices circlejerking in a bureaucratic vacuum free from the annoyance of side issues like 'missions.'

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

We had a Numbered Air Force commander's call today. The two-star reviewed the results of a recent climate survey. He read a couple excerpts from my survey where I griped about manning and morale, and pointed out that I could be replaced with a computer. My squadron commander sat in the front row and looked increasingly uncomfortable.

It was a good day.

:cabot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arc Light posted:

We had a Numbered Air Force commander's call today. The two-star reviewed the results of a recent climate survey. He read a couple excerpts from my survey where I griped about manning and morale, and pointed out that I could be replaced with a computer. My squadron commander sat in the front row and looked increasingly uncomfortable.

It was a good day.

:cabot:

This makes it sound like the two-star, after reading excerpts, himself pointed out that you could be replaced by a computer

and i love it

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

This makes it sound like the two-star, after reading excerpts, himself pointed out that you could be replaced by a computer

and i love it

Deep in his heart, he knows it's true.

Edit: to clarify for everyone else, I pointed out that I could be replaced by a computer if we were less retarded about streamlining workload. He read my quote as a caution to commanders about making sure everyone in their squadrons understands their "vital" role in completing the mission.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Wild T posted:

It still cracks me up that kinder eggs are banned because they contain toys and, supposedly, a kid could choke. If your kid can swallow a full-sized plastic egg they're probably old enough to know that part isn't food.

Ironically my kids hated the chocolate part and would just throw it away to get the lovely little playmobil toy inside.

They;ve been legal in the US for a few years iirc

https://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Kinder-Surprise-Inside-9-Pack/dp/B00SPJBT8U?th=1

• Locked thread