Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm fairly sure that the Venus storyline will end with some kind of revelation about that Martian ship. It's floating dead for some reason beyond politics. Not a book spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Then why would it be shadowing every course correction the science ship made?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Daktari posted:

Then why would it be shadowing every course correction the science ship made?

Maybe he just meant running "silent", or maybe a lot of people just don't pay attention to the shows they watch.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The only good thing about the belt is that they're not space libertarians.

The Ferengi are the best thing about Star Trek

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

take hotter than that ganymede incinerator

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The only good thing about the belt is that they're not space libertarians.

It's true, flawless good people make lovely fictional characters.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The discovery will be Mei is alive on Io, along with many protomonsters. Holden will want to nuke it from orbit anyway, its the only way to be sure.

Actually, (TV only speculation): Holden could instead discover Naomi didn't destroy that bit of protomolecule. Not sure why it would come up now, except that scientist dude has been floating around since his escape from Tyco with some ability to sense it. Dawes is due for an appearance.

Oh yeah, that's probably right. Not sure what resolution that would actually have that would be meaningful though. The only time it really has any real stakes is if it falls into someone else's hands or if it was actually the sample used to create the Ganymede type monsters. Not sure the timeline supports that though.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

vermin posted:

DS9 maybe.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
And even in the books, Naomi is kind of an emotional idealist. She needs a cause or something. When Holden starts to go all cold, it really unsettles her and she loses her focus.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It totally makes sense from her perspective. She's disillusioned by the OPA, there's no cause or group she thinks is true or good but then she meets this super idealistic do-gooder who seems to be out on a mission to save pan-humanity and isn't a political partisan and always tries to do-the-right-thing so she's happy to follow him as a captain and a squinty lover. But then he starts getting all "ends justify the means" while pursuing a never-ending mission who's immediate goals are constantly shifting.

I'm guessing her son was either killed by the OPA or got super radicalized and maybe went off and died for them which is why poo poo like that is a bit of a button issue (which made it strange why she got all swoony and apologetic for Dawes and his extremism) and can see holden is going down the same path, self radicalizing himself into an anti-protomolecule crusader able to justify any sacrifice or any collateral damage. Holden has also begun to turn anyone associated with the protomolecule into a non-human other only fit to suffer and die not unlike how the OPA is fine flushing inners into space. You're either with him or you're with the protomolecule.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Calling it now: Holden goes off the deep end with his protomolecule obsession, takes the Roci and chases after the Navauouu, flies back to the inner system with the Navouuo, lands it facedown on Venus, then finally he uses the Nauvuuos engines to push Venus into the Sun

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

then finally he uses the Nauvuuos engines to push Venus into the Sun

lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Calling it now: Holden goes off the deep end with his protomolecule obsession, takes the Roci and chases after the Navauouu, flies back to the inner system with the Navouuo, lands it facedown on Venus, then finally he uses the Nauvuuos engines to push Venus into the Sun

Hey, after that "gravity slingshot" last episode why not?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holden's 100% character change re: the protomolecule is dumb and wish t hey stayed in line with the books, where at sighting the PM on Ganymede he just flips out and wants to get off the planet ASAP instead of being a retard and grumbling "time for some huntin"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
At this point I thought Holden's entire character was going to focus on hunting every last vampire protomolecule to extinction.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
I hope Holden gets killed and replaced by a character with a better actor 'cause that guy sucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

stranger danger posted:

I hope Holden gets killed and replaced by a character with a better actor 'cause that guy sucks.

One day he's going to squint so hard and do such a batman voice you'll fall in love.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

im commander holden and this is my favorite proto molecule on ganymede

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Phi230 posted:

Holden's 100% character change re: the protomolecule is dumb and wish t hey stayed in line with the books, where at sighting the PM on Ganymede he just flips out and wants to get off the planet ASAP instead of being a retard and grumbling "time for some huntin"

A panicky ABORT ABORT ABORT GET THE FUUUUUUUCK OUT would have been more fun.

Does Holden not know that a great many well trained and equipped marines got shredded by one of those?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

A panicky ABORT ABORT ABORT GET THE FUUUUUUUCK OUT would have been more fun.

Does Holden not know that a great many well trained and equipped marines got shredded by one of those?

This is clearly above Scooby and the Gang's pay grade. Him literally saying, "Nope" and turning around to join Naomi would've been totally acceptable.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AlternateAccount posted:

How would he?

Edit: I've rather had him panic at the first evidence of Protomolecule presence, but everything's so much more of a secret in the show.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
After reading book spoilers, I have a feeling his protomolocule obsession is going to work out in the long run.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow, I totally have thought that Jay Hernadez was Holden up until the other day, Hernadez was Miller's partner who was pretty much forgotten about after he was found alive after being harpooned.

Also, I am really hoping that Mao and Miller are now god like beings on Venus with their interaction with raw protomolocule.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, I totally have thought that Jay Hernadez was Holden up until the other day

:stare:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, I totally have thought that Jay Hernadez was Holden up until the other day, Hernadez was Miller's partner who was pretty much forgotten about after he was found alive after being harpooned.

different people

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1711829/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0379596/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t22

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, basically that was the only name I recognized other than Thomas Jane and assumed he was the other lead.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

I can't see why anyone would recognize either of these people by name or face.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

In the book, wasn't the sales pitch being made to the UN and not Mars?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sammus posted:

In the book, wasn't the sales pitch being made to the UN and not Mars?

No, it was both, there's a quote at the end about how the spook who lost the bidding probably saved their career by not moving ahead with it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

The difficulty of stealth in space is predicated on the fact that when things warm up, they radiate, and being able to scan the whole sky for that radiation is a fairly modest task, well within the capability of any entity that can actually engage in advanced interplanetary travel.

I'm gonna be a dick and dig up this argument again.

It's dumb to assume "If a society can do X, surely they'll have unrelated Y technology as well" Fifty years ago they assumed we'd all have flying cars, no one thought we'd be carrying personal electronic devices connected to each other and the entire collection of human knowledge, and use it mainly to share pictures of cats with one another. Guessing what advanced technology is easy and hard is a losing bet.

Maybe picking up a tiny pinprick of heat across millions of kms is hard? And especially distinguishing that from a random rock floating about in space.

As penance, here's a repeat of the shot where Frankie Adams apparently assaults her co-star and breaks the TV prop:

https://giant.gfycat.com/ClosedCompleteFowl.mp4

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

NZAmoeba posted:

Maybe picking up a tiny pinprick of heat across millions of kms is hard? And especially distinguishing that from a random rock floating about in space.

The technology literally exists today. A network of decent digital cameras and some software to run comparisons will find nearly anything.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Besides overt plot changes, one of the biggest discrepancies between the show and the books is the efficacy of surveillance technology. In the books, pretty much anyone can see anything in space that they have a mind to look for. Even the fancy stealth tech largely depends on people not looking at it during engine burns; once you've spotted a stealth ship, tracking it isn't difficult.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AlternateAccount posted:

The technology literally exists today. A network of decent digital cameras and some software to run comparisons will find nearly anything.

Yeah but like people thought the earth was flat and they were wrong, makes u think. Those scienticians making their haughty predictions about the future based on technology we have today and will only be getting way better could be totally wrong.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Except there are no scienticians in this thread, only people who read that one atomic rockets article and now think they know how the future of mankind will be.

its a good read

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That grenade was just the pizza party trying to tell Amos his table was ready

Agahnim
Sep 14, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Pointing a scope at something and seeing what's what is something we can do today, having full coverage of the entire solar system at all times is something else entirely.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm gonna be a dick and dig up this argument again.

It's dumb to assume "If a society can do X, surely they'll have unrelated Y technology as well" Fifty years ago they assumed we'd all have flying cars, no one thought we'd be carrying personal electronic devices connected to each other and the entire collection of human knowledge, and use it mainly to share pictures of cats with one another. Guessing what advanced technology is easy and hard is a losing bet.

It's not advanced technology. It is literally done today. WISE has detected objects as cold as 225 Kelvin at a distance of over 7 light years.

Agahnim posted:

Pointing a scope at something and seeing what's what is something we can do today, having full coverage of the entire solar system at all times is something else entirely.

But it's not "advanced technology." It's something we could entirely do today if we chose to. And at the point at which you've got people living in habitats all across the solar system and dozens and hundreds of ships flying around constantly on a daily basis it's something you would choose to do because if you didn't it would be like shutting off the ATC networks at all the airports and just hoping things work themselves out without a whole bunch of people dying. To say nothing of the *military* advantages. Discerning an object radiating to any significant degree in the infrared is entirely current tech. Sweeping an IR-sensitive CCD around the sky on a regular basis, having enough CPU cycles to throw at the image processing, and so forth, that's all present-day tech. It's just not a hard problem.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 12, 2017

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in discussing the mechanics of stealth in space read the Project Rho article on the subject. A ton of the arguments and counter arguments recently brought up are well covered in that article.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You wouldn't even need to have 100% real time vision on every chunk of space, only where ships originate or do their initial burn, which is highly highly visible. Ships don't pop out of nowhere in the middle of deep space, they launch from stations. You keep your eye on every station and any ship that hasn't correctly logged their flight path and done everything on the level would be a huge instant red flag and be extra tracked. Once the eyes are focused on you, there's no hiding.

A ship launched from a semi-secret location though might have some moments where no one knows where it is. Launch and do a quick violent burn away from your secret asteroid hanger (which really isn't secret because anything built in space would also have been logged and flagged) while hidden behind it from every scope in the entire system and maybe if no one's looking at you get a bit of time. But you're still hot and will most likely be spotted quickly by some automated system, and the moment you do a burn you'd light up like a christmas tree to every sensor in the system along with your exact heading and speed.

But every single launch from every single station in the system would be 100% known just from initial observations alone. Governments and militaries would make sure to have dedicated scopes and scanners set up just for that, on top of the system wide automated detection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you want a real, historical precedent for a watch‐the‐skies‐continuously‐to‐track‐all‐ships project, we spent, and continue to spend, an awful lot of money watching for nukes.

Duga over‐the‐horizon RADAR looking for U.S. missiles

One of twelve U.S. Vela satellites monitoring the surface of Earth to detect any atmospheric nuclear detonations.

One of sixty infrasound stations, in 35 countries, monitoring for nuclear detonations in compliance with the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty. Pictured is IS18 in Greenland.

”A reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive.” The Epstein drive is a really good weapon. Everyone in the Expanse knows this and would be willing to spend good money to defend themselves.

• Locked thread