Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting closer to moving my freshwater 120g downstairs and turning it into my new reef tank. I really hate the factory stand this tank came with, so Sunday afternoon I threw this together. 2x6 and 2x4 put together with pocket screws, 36" tall so plenty of room for sump and equipment. I'll get it sanded down, then primed and painted this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Enos Cabell posted:

Getting closer to moving my freshwater 120g downstairs and turning it into my new reef tank. I really hate the factory stand this tank came with, so Sunday afternoon I threw this together. 2x6 and 2x4 put together with pocket screws, 36" tall so plenty of room for sump and equipment. I'll get it sanded down, then primed and painted this week.

Woodworking seems like a really good life skill to have. Looks great!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Woodworking seems like a really good life skill to have. Looks great!

Thanks! Stands like this are actually fairly easy to put together, but you definitely get better with practice. This is the 8th tank stand I've built, and I'd be embarrassed to show the first few. The best part was only needing to spend about $10 on a couple of 2x6s, I had enough spare stuff laying around to take care of everything else.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sorry for double post, but is anyone here running AI Prime HD lights? I love my Reefbreeders Photon 32, but not sure that will be enough coverage on a 120. Thinking that 2 of the AI Prime HD might give me enough coverage on a 48" tank.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
My guesstimate is that those lights are more meant for 20-gal-ish cubes. But it could work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, after reading up some more I don't think they will penetrate enough for what I'm needing. I've got some amazon credit I need to use up, so a pair of the hydra 26's is kind of tempting.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, after reading up some more I don't think they will penetrate enough for what I'm needing. I've got some amazon credit I need to use up, so a pair of the hydra 26's is kind of tempting.

I was actually going to suggest a pair of hydra 26's.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

What is all that yellow stuff? Nice work. Woodworking is hard as hell.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

What is all that yellow stuff? Nice work. Woodworking is hard as hell.

Thanks! The yellow stuff is wood filler, going to sand it down before I paint and it will help it look like one solid piece instead of a bunch of boards screwed together.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Have any of you ever sold a tank? I have a 6 foot long 200g tank that I think I would like to sell, but have no idea where to start. Its been running for years, but all the livestock except for three fish have been moved to new systems, and I just don't have the funds to really make this tank what I want. (I'm in central Florida, in case anyone gets excited by the idea, haha)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

In my area it seems that most deals happen on Facebook lately. I'd search for any and all reef and freshwater related groups in your area, and go from there. If we have multiple busy groups in Nebraska, I'd assume there is plenty of action in Florida.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Facebook/Craigslist here in Chicago mostly.

Edit for content: A left handed hermit at the LFS. Owner wasn't sure of where he came from, must have hitchhiked with an order of live rock. I would have bought him but he would become puffer/trigger food in like 10 seconds.

A babby lionfish

Rallos fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 9, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://aquariumdepot.com/red-spider-crab-small/

Saw this one in their mailer, looks pretty loving cool. Not risking that in my tank though, I'm pretty sure the wrasse or the eel would take it out. And it'd be an expensive snack. I lost a cleaner shrimp in there already (and it was pretty immediate) and at least those suckers came down in price recently.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, week after I talk up PlanetZoa.com he announces he's closing down shop. He's running a 30% off of everything sale, I placed another order today.

E: Because I love spamming this thread with photos

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 12, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So now that my live rock is all out of the tank I've noticed I have a lot of bristleworms. They are hanging out under the pvc pipe I put in for the fish while this process plays out. Are they harmful? Indicative of over feeding?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So now that my live rock is all out of the tank I've noticed I have a lot of bristleworms. They are hanging out under the pvc pipe I put in for the fish while this process plays out. Are they harmful? Indicative of over feeding?

I'm going through the same thing, with all of the rock out of my tank. From what I've read, bristleworms are good for your tank. They are great scavengers and help keep things cleaned up. Seems like the only reason to kill them is if they freak you out. And yeah, the more you feed the more you're gonna have.

Now bobbit worms on the other hand, those are some crazy fuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=refnOdW49rw

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Bobbit worms are the stuff (bad) dreams are made of. A giant nightmare worm that shares the same name as a guy who got his shlong cutoff. What's not to love?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

I have way too much encrusting gorgonian. Is it worth cutting up to frag? This is the first time I've got to the point where I have to consider getting rid of things in my tank.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

https://aquariumdepot.com/red-spider-crab-small/

Saw this one in their mailer, looks pretty loving cool. Not risking that in my tank though, I'm pretty sure the wrasse or the eel would take it out. And it'd be an expensive snack. I lost a cleaner shrimp in there already (and it was pretty immediate) and at least those suckers came down in price recently.

That's not a crab. It's a sea spider. A Pycnogonid. In the wild they eat specific soft corals and hydrozoans. They just hang out on them and munch away and don't really do much other than that. I've collected several similar species of them off docks and they don't really do anything or bug anything, but when the bunch of hydrozoans you collected them with eventually wither and die... so do they.

I may not be in the know about this sort of thing, but I don't care where a sea spider hails from, fifty bucks is ludicrous. Also don't expect a large animal. The absolute largest east coast ones I've ever collected were about an inch from tip of leg to tip of leg, and all their mass was.... leg. Fun fact: their stomachs are in those legs. Because there's literally nowhere else to put a stomach in those things.

If you decide to get it, I've never really found an animal that eats them. Like I said, they just hang out until their very specific food source is used up and then they just croak while all the other tankmates ignore the drama. In my opinion you'd be just as well off twisting some garbage can ties together and telling people that it's a ultra rare mutated sea spider.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramen Pride! posted:

If you decide to get it, I've never really found an animal that eats them. Like I said, they just hang out until their very specific food source is used up and then they just croak while all the other tankmates ignore the drama.

Yeah no way I'd get it to begin with, but knowing now it's an obligate feeder on something makes it even more hilarious.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah no way I'd get it to begin with, but knowing now it's an obligate feeder on something makes it even more hilarious.

Yeah, I had no idea that people were beginning to see various pynogonids in reefkeeping and they are regarded as pests! Of course, like I said their diet is usually very species specific, but HA! Fifty bucks for a potential pest that might eat your corals.

I still endorse the make your own with garbage twist-tie braggart method.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ramen Pride! posted:

Yeah, I had no idea that people were beginning to see various pynogonids in reefkeeping and they are regarded as pests! Of course, like I said their diet is usually very species specific, but HA! Fifty bucks for a potential pest that might eat your corals.

I still endorse the make your own with garbage twist-tie braggart method.

Well I mean, there ARE people who do go to extraordinary lengths to keep remarkable specimens that we would ordinarily avoid--and the people who farm sponges to keep a moorish idol or something similar aren't even the nuttiest of them. I doubt even they would justify one of these.

The closest I got to being That Guy is this--I started keeping saltwater by doing mantis shrimp specimen nanos. Eventually culminating in keeping a peacock for just under 3 years. Feeding it live food was an expensive proposition--I can't simply go out and collect.

Even the dwarf golden moray is cheap because all I have to do is feed it frozen squid.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
Here is my first foray into the saltwater tank hobby! A Fluval Evo 13.5. I used to keep freshwater in college and fell out of the hobby once I got married etc. I always wanted to try a saltwater a tank but assumed it was too hard or expensive etc. Years later now I have a daughter who expressed interest in having a fish tank so I too that as an excuse.

Going through a fishless cycle right now with live rock, live sand and bottle bacteria. Wish me luck for a speedy cycle!

The plan is to get the tank cycled, add two clown fish and then a cleaner shrimp, hermit crab or two and some snails. Later on I'll get a pump and get into some basic soft corals.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Nice looking little tank! Welcome to the hobby.

You mentioned "later on I'll get a pump." I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'll just throw it out there that you should absolutely have pumps in there NOW, while cycling, to move water around. Very important to help aerate the water and evenly distribute nutrients in the water column.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Looks like the box picture of the tank has both ends of the top covered. How does (enough) air get in there for gas exchange?

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

There is a hole in the top of the lid for gas exchange and feeding.

There is a built in pump for the sump. I meant an additional pump/powerhead for the corals once I get more established.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So I just got back from a 10 day vacation and while I was gone several new aiptasia have appeared in my sand bed. I'm going to have to pull all of that too, aren't I? :negative:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

So I just got back from a 10 day vacation and while I was gone several new aiptasia have appeared in my sand bed. I'm going to have to pull all of that too, aren't I? :negative:

What about a filefish? I hear they like to eat aiptasia.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

What about a filefish? I hear they like to eat aiptasia.

I guess I could try that and put my Humu in my QT if he is aggressive towards it but my QT is only 10 gallons. Humu is only 3 inches so maybe it would be okay for a week or two. Then return the filefish.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

I guess I could try that and put my Humu in my QT if he is aggressive towards it but my QT is only 10 gallons. Humu is only 3 inches so maybe it would be okay for a week or two. Then return the filefish.

It's worth a try. Your humu should be fine in QT for that long I think.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Took longer to get finished than originally planned, but the stand for my 120 is painted and in the house now. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get the 30ish african cichlids out of that tank and get it moved downstairs. My rock is cycled and ready to go, so things should start moving fairly quick at this point.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Took longer to get finished than originally planned, but the stand for my 120 is painted and in the house now. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get the 30ish african cichlids out of that tank and get it moved downstairs. My rock is cycled and ready to go, so things should start moving fairly quick at this point.

Looks great!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Welp, I totally managed to snap the center brace on my 120 moving it downstairs. Now I get to wait 2-3 weeks while my LFS special orders one for me. Anyone ever have to remove the trim on a tank? I'm worried about loving it up further.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

gently caress that, don't replace the whole trim, replace the brace with a piece of acrylic or glass that you glue/fasten/silicone in. Acrylic + glue & bolts or glass + silicone. It will be a huge pain in the rear end to remove the trim and clean the old silicone. I've seen this done plenty of times including when the brace isn't broken to begin with but somebody doesn't want the shadows from an opaque brace. Leave some of the brace on each side so you have something to glue+bolt the acrylic brace to, or silicone the glass brace directly to the front and back glass, along with the remainder of the top trim/brace.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The way it broke, the whole thing is going to have to be replaced. It is going to suck rear end.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

^ That blows. I've never tried anything more ambitious than redoing the silicone seals on an old tank, sorry.

My tank, in addition to aiptasia continues to look like poo poo:

This is the stuff I hate the most and don't know how to get rid of, the stuff in the sand bed:

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That powerhead needs a haircut!

As far as the sand stuff you need more flow. That looks like cyano and cyano loves dead/low flow spots.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rallos posted:

That powerhead needs a haircut!

As far as the sand stuff you need more flow. That looks like cyano and cyano loves dead/low flow spots.

Thanks, what about lighting, cut back on that as well?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Thanks, what about lighting, cut back on that as well?

How long do you run your lights now? You could try shortening your photoperiod but honestly I'd try more flow first and see if that helps. You don't wanna change too many things too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks really nice. What did you use on the inside? I went with a rubberized spray paint that seems to be working pretty well.

• Locked thread