Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Fasdar posted:

If we make it to 2050 and aren't facing a massive global refugee crisis

Is this not already happening? Maybe not in the Americas but pretty much everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Death to Canada.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Is this not already happening? Maybe not in the Americas but pretty much everywhere else.
I think massive in this case means two or three orders of magnitude greater than we've seen so far.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Yes, I am referring to basically the entire bottom decile of humanity (~ 700,000,000 to a billion people by 2050) having a powerful and compelling reason to flee in any direction from wherever they are. What we have no is around a few million people with a reason to leave, a few reasonable destinations, and maybe, someday, a plan to move back home.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, the potential for things to get worse quickly is huge. The current state of the Middle East should be proof that you don't need to literally create a post-apocalyptic hellhole for systems to rapidly break down.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

And people say geoengineering is unrealistic :viggo:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
So buying a motorcycle to double my gas mileage would be a moot point, huh? I really should focus that money into learning a medieval trade skill for when society collapses and we enter the After Times.

Maybe we should link the DIY/Hobbies forum in the OP.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

So buying a motorcycle to double my gas mileage would be a moot point, huh? I really should focus that money into learning a medieval trade skill for when society collapses and we enter the After Times.

No, buying a motorcycle is a good idea because it is fun and distracts you from the fact that major, permanent, painful societal upheaval is probably less than a generation away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vermin posted:

Buying a motorcycle is good because it can get you a lot further with a given amount of fuel, which everyone knows will be extremely limited once we're in a Mad Max type setting.

The downside of course is that it doesn't offer shelter against the elements when you're camping in the post-apocalyptic wilderness, whereas you can sleep in a car...

So it's a tough decision.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

And if zombie movies and the stand are any indication, the stopped/broken down cars all over the roads and highways will be easier to navigate with a motorcycle

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Edit: You know what. This is a bad post.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So I should go find a remote mountain lake/valley or something and start building my self-sustaining survivalist compound within the next decade or so, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

So I should go find a remote mountain lake/valley or something and start building my self-sustaining survivalist compound within the next decade or so, right?

Nah, you're much better off saving money and trying to buy one of these

http://www.missilebases.com/properties

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
The best bet would be to form a seemingly harmless cult. People need people.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I make this post all the time, but the serious answer is to just live within your means as best you can and save what you can. If we reach a point where the economy has collapsed and money no longer acts as a cushion then we're so hosed that nothing you do now will help you. Things aren't going to get that bad in the US or other developed nations, though. The worst case scenario is just going to be a grinding decline where you're really sure that things used to be better, and for the first time in human history you'll probably be right.

edit- basically it's always crazy to be a prepper. don't become a prepper.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 11, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Paradoxish posted:

I make this post all the time, but the serious answer is to just live within your means as best you can and save what you can. If we reach a point where the economy has collapsed and money no longer acts as a cushion then we're so hosed that nothing you do now will help you. Things aren't going to get that bad in the US or other developed nations, though. The worst case scenario is just going to be a grinding decline where you're really sure that things used to be better, and for the first time in human history you'll probably be right.

This, but the reason things won't go as bad is because we'll all be conscripted into a forever war against the refugee hordes, so the state will provide for us.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

call to action posted:

No, buying a motorcycle is a good idea because it is fun and distracts you from the fact that major, permanent, painful societal upheaval is probably less than a generation away.

Plus you have a better chance of being an organ donor!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eNeMeE posted:

Plus you have a better chance of being an organ donor!

I actually opted out of organ donor status when I started riding just to spite people that make jokes like this, to ensure that I'll have the last laugh

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

I actually opted out of organ donor status when I started riding just to spite people that make jokes like this, to ensure that I'll have the last laugh

Good, your irrational thinking fits right into the society that created this completely ridiculous fate.

Also lol at that chart and report saying the last two years showed "unprecedented" emissions.

Anything that happens with climate change that is negative should be by law required to be referred to as "Completely Precedented".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TildeATH posted:

Good, your irrational thinking fits right into the society that created this completely ridiculous fate.

Also lol at that chart and report saying the last two years showed "unprecedented" emissions.

Anything that happens with climate change that is negative should be by law required to be referred to as "Completely Precedented".

The rate of shittiness is unprecedented though. We're hitting the gas pedal right now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

The rate of shittiness is unprecedented though. We're hitting the gas pedal right now.

Literally the same rate of shittiness. We've been hitting the gas pedal as long as things have had gas pedals.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

Not really, I kinda got tired of people laughing at my prospective death, and nobody is entitled to my organs (sorry I believe in bodily autonomy Mr. Pro Life)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

Not really, I kinda got tired of people laughing at my prospective death, and nobody is entitled to my organs (sorry I believe in bodily autonomy Mr. Pro Life)

You're a dummy using mystical thinking to try to exercise property rights on your fleshy bits after death.

It doesn't matter. I doubt the ecomutants of Cursed Earth are going to check your ID before they start chowing down on your liver, anyway.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

You're a dummy using mystical thinking to try to exercise property rights on your fleshy bits after death.

It doesn't matter. I doubt the ecomutants of Cursed Earth are going to check your ID before they start chowing down on your liver, anyway.

Sorry I don't agree that bodily autonomy is mystical thinking, feel free to keep the screeching derail going tho

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a strong and independent corpse and no ecomutant is going to tell ME what seasonings belong on my liver!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

Sorry I don't agree that bodily autonomy is mystical thinking, feel free to keep the screeching derail going tho

You better pray the ecomutants have gotten to the point where they're ritualistically sharpening their teeth or it's going to hurt like hell when they start eating you.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm gonna take your kidneys from your corpse. What are you gonna do about it?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You don't get bodily autonomy after you're dead. How are you gonna enforce it? Go ahead, haunt me, I'll be enjoying your heart all the same. Well, as long as the eco-mutants don't get to it first.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

call to action posted:

Congratulations on being an awful person, I guess?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eNeMeE posted:

Congratulations on being an awful person, I guess?

yea but as long as he doesn't *believe* he is its all good

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Crazycryodude posted:

You don't get bodily autonomy after you're dead. How are you gonna enforce it? Go ahead, haunt me, I'll be enjoying your heart all the same. Well, as long as the eco-mutants don't get to it first.

The ecomutants are evolved enough that they don't mind if you get a few years of use out of a dumb guy's heart before they kill you and eat it along with your original organs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TildeATH posted:

The ecomutants are evolved enough that they don't mind if you get a few years of use out of a dumb guy's heart before they kill you and eat it along with your original organs.

So are these mutants ecological ones or economical ones

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

So are these mutants ecological ones or economical ones

Given that they cite Hornberg and Crumley's "The Earth System and the World System" I gather they're enlightened enough to not think of that as two distinct entities.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Is CO2 extracted per capita a meaningful measure of anything?

Resource exporting countries would naturally expected to produce more of said resource per capita than their net importing buyers.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

What makes you think it won't get that bad in the US? There are already places in the US that are miserable hellholes not much different from poor third world countries. There are already tens of millions of Americans living in poverty. There are millions of Americans one step away from living in the street (and millions that do live in the street, usually 3-4 million experiencing homelessness a year). About half the population of the US is classified as poor or low income. There are places in the USA that have the worst life expectancy in the western hemisphere outside of Haiti. The US has a horrific dysfunctional government and a lot of very vulnerable coastlines. This doesn't sound like a place well equipped to deal with the worst effects of climate change.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kenzie posted:

There are already places in the US that are miserable hellholes not much different from poor third world countries

No there aren't you're being a dummy.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TildeATH posted:

lol you seen midwest rural life?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grognan posted:

lol you seen midwest rural life?

lol you been to a Mumbai slum?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Is CO2 extracted per capita a meaningful measure of anything?

Resource exporting countries would naturally expected to produce more of said resource per capita than their net importing buyers.

It can be used to tell which countries are being jerks and which other ones are being total jerks and which are actually somewhat decent.

Compare resource exporting countries with other resource exporting countries.

Compare first world countries with other first world countries.

USA, 16.1 tonnes per capita, France 5.1. Basically USA is a big jerk head. Australia is even a bigger jerk head at 18.6. I am Australian. Our government is a very very hateful government.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TildeATH posted:

lol you been to a Mumbai slum?

Yeah. The only thing that distinguishes Mumbai slums from Native American Reservations in the Dakotas is scale.

Other than that though, you wouldn't be able to tell which is which by looking at these photos for example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TildeATH posted:

The people of Flint, Michigan might like a word with you on that point. Or any sufficiently abandoned, deindustrialized city. Or any native American reservation. Or....

You get the idea.