Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

Dirt bikes, where you have more slack in the chain, have chain guards which make sure the chain goes on the sprocket (and protects it) and serve a similar purpose, no?

Yes, chain guides are essential in the dirt, since gains stretch so fast there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Your chain can't touch these gains!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bits of rubber sticking out from between the link plates of my chain is probably a bad sign huh

What risks am I running if I keep on using a chain with busted seals? Does it increase the chance it'll lock up, or just increase wear and reduce its lifespan?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
why not both?

if you clean/lube it regularly it won't lock up, it will just wear more quickly

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For oring chains, once the rubber goes, the chain is toast. They only work when their internal lubrication is intact - once that goes they can't be lubed enough to keep them from wearing very quickly. Replace it as soon as you can.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
gently caress. I blame sticky lube for this; when my can of non-stick dirt lube ran out I accidentally replaced it with that sticky white race crap, exactly the wrong thing to be running on British roads in winter. Such a ballache to clean off even in good weather, attracts all the grit and mud.

Sprockets are rounding out a bit too, guess I'll budget for a new set with the chain while I'm at it. Gonna look into a Scottoiler too, since I clearly can't be trusted to do regular drive maintenance when the weather's a bit poo poo.

Ironically I had summoned the effort to tighten the chain today (since it finally went over its upper slack limit) only to find out I don't have a big enough spanner/socket to tackle the axle nut. Sigh. So much crap to buy :negative:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I know this came up like 2-3 weeks ago but I'm too lazy to search. Which cell phone mount was the one people liked the most? I recall some people saying the phone would fall out of the xgrips one occasionally?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm partial to the model specific holders + whatever kind of RAM ball mount you want.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP18U

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Buhbuhj posted:

I know this came up like 2-3 weeks ago but I'm too lazy to search. Which cell phone mount was the one people liked the most? I recall some people saying the phone would fall out of the xgrips one occasionally?

Slip grips + RAM base. Or listen to goons retarded ideas about phone mounts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made my own phone mount out of an otter box, some GoPro mounts, and a piece of metal I powder coated especially for this forum, ask me about my lovely phone mount

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renaissance Robot posted:

gently caress. I blame sticky lube for this; when my can of non-stick dirt lube ran out I accidentally replaced it with that sticky white race crap, exactly the wrong thing to be running on British roads in winter.

I'm confused. Every lube is sticky.
E: I've always felt that the white ones seem to "attract" debris because white shows dirt and grime more than others in general.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The can of green Motul off-road lube I was running before was sticky in that it stayed on the chain, sure, but it dried out to a non-sticky state after a while,and never picked up grit. Both cans of white stuff I've had were super tacky and stayed that way even after drying. My rear wheel rim is a mess, it's like I slathered it in glue or something

e/ I accept some amount of mess and effort is involved in basic maintenance but my recent experience is comparing very negatively with the lube I was using before.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 9, 2017

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Maxima chain wax is the best I've found in regards of longevity, very little dirt absorption and actually staying on the chain.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Supradog posted:

Maxima chain wax is the best I've found in regards of longevity, very little dirt absorption and actually staying on the chain.

Ever try the Biltema FB-ring chain? It was cheaper than just about anything reputable and I got 40 000 km out of it with loads more life left when the bike got stolen. A dry PTFE-base lube also helped longevity I think, never needed any strong degreasers to get the worst crap off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
No, but my brother has. Problem is that they're not standard 525 size, so you can't use a master link from biltema on another 525 chain, it's simply too big. Sure, if you use both chain and master link from them it'll work. I've used plenty of oil, lube, misc fasterners, and random gear. 2 different engine mc lifters, front and rear lifters, a ton of tools, air compressors etc.

They work, but have no frills.

I had snell (xlmoto store brand) chains that got hosed up after 16k, but I suspect I was oveareager with citrus based cleaners on it.

Next chain/bike I'll try the dry ptfe lube route, I got the lube, but I want to try that from fresh chain.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 9, 2017

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Found a hipster bike shop near me that will install a chain and rear tire for $127. That seems... really cheap. Cheap enough to patronize a hipster bike shop.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the question. Somebody recommend me a tire and chain for my '06 F4i. Pilot Road 3 and... ?

Edit 2: Took the time to search and settled on an RK chain. Ordered a 520 by mistake at first. :downs:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 10, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Save most of the $127 and get sprockets along with the chain and do it yourself. Tire mount and balance shouldn't be much more than $50.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am thinking of getting this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41765/i/bolt-motorcycle-hardware-euro-style-hardware-kit

I lost a fairing bolt, and think this may be a decent investment. May look around for one with smaller diameters too. Anyone have recommendations for bolt sets?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Save most of the $127 and get sprockets along with the chain and do it yourself. Tire mount and balance shouldn't be much more than $50.
I'd like to, but I don't have a stand (nor the room for one) and I'd need a chain tool in lieu of that, I think.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
So this is a weird one:

My friend has a 2015 or 2016 FZ-09, unmodded except for fender eliminator. We've ridden a bit here and there, and he's always complained of hand/grip pain from his throttle hand. I thought he was exaggerating, but we were messing around in town last night and switched bikes (Grom and FZ-09 are a bit mismatched), and in the 10ish minutes I was on the bike, my hand was killing me. I've never experienced this on any of my other bikes.

Any likely culprits or fixes for this? He's putting new bars/grips on the bike soon, but my money is on the throttle cable tension being too high or something like that. I'd like him to get this figured out cause I'm likely buying a 2017 FZ-09 this year.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 11, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you guys short? The stock bars were slightly too high for me and it was causing some discomfort in my hands as well, I put some rizoma bars on and it's been better.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Buhbuhj posted:

Are you guys short? The stock bars were slightly too high for me and it was causing some discomfort in my hands as well, I put some rizoma bars on and it's been better.

I'm 5'8" he's 5'9"+. We're not tall, but I'm comfortable on the bike, especially compared to my DRZ. It's specifically the throttle hand though which is the main concern, although I understand your left hand gets a lot more 'rest' on a bike overall.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

So this is a weird one:

My friend has a 2015 or 2016 FZ-09, unmodded except for fender eliminator. We've ridden a bit here and there, and he's always complained of hand/grip pain from his throttle hand. I thought he was exaggerating, but we were messing around in town last night and switched bikes (Grom and FZ-09 are a bit mismatched), and in the 10ish minutes I was on the bike, my hand was killing me. I've never experienced this on any of my other bikes.

Any likely culprits or fixes for this? He's putting new bars/grips on the bike soon, but my money is on the throttle cable tension being too high or something like that. I'd like him to get this figured out cause I'm likely buying a 2017 FZ-09 this year.
I get this all the time on bicycles, and on the motorcycle when I gently caress up and put too much weight on my hands for extended periods of time on a highway or whatever. It's possible that the difference in wrist angle in combination with too much weight is what causes the pain. :gay:

Grip with your legs and make a conscious effort to tighten your core and back to stay off your wrists.

Edit: Might not be quite what you're experiencing, but this is just about dead-on for me.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 11, 2017

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
That sounds pretty reasonable. Hopefully his new bars will alleviate the problem.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
I'm looking at buying a Ducati Monster that has a rebuilt salvage title.

What should I look out for, and how much does a rebuilt salvage title affect the price? I read that it could be anywhere between 20% and 60%.

South fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 11, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Let's see that ducati. Yes, it affects the price. No, you probably shouldn't buy it unless you want a track toy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you don't have experience with these things, I'd recommend avoiding buying salvage title bikes. Everyone's bikes get "salvaged from a low speed drop!", but you can't really visually detect bent forks/frame/swingarm, and without having the frame computracked or otherwise verified, you can't actually know if it's still straight. I once almost had a friend buy an R6 that rode okay before we noticed both forks were bent back equally about 2 inches. Only way to tell visually was the belly pan was a little too close to the front tire.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/6067436181.html

I've always loved the look of the Monsters. I even went to the factory in Bologna.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pokie posted:

I am thinking of getting this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41765/i/bolt-motorcycle-hardware-euro-style-hardware-kit

I lost a fairing bolt, and think this may be a decent investment. May look around for one with smaller diameters too. Anyone have recommendations for bolt sets?

Seems fine, but IMO just go to Fastenal and get a handful of the most common sizes (M5, M6 and M8 on Japanese bikes) and the associated nuts and washers. A $10 bag will last forever with occasional use.

You can also be cheap like me and buy only the longer bolts, then cut them down with a hacksaw and trim with a file and die any time you need a shorter one, which is great if your time is worthless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protip: thread a nut on the bolt first, then cut it and back the nut off, cleaning up the threads and retapping the end in one shot.

If you're gonna to half rear end it you may as well save time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you sound like the kind of guy who wouldn't even chuck the cut bolt into a lathe to re-chamfer the tip

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Protip: thread a nut on the bolt first, then cut it and back the nut off, cleaning up the threads and retapping the end in one shot.

If you're gonna to half rear end it you may as well save time.

:aaaaa:

Motherfucker, that's exactly the kind of redneck engineering I was raised on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or just own a tap and die set and a couple fine files like someone who wasn't raised by wolves.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dies? what are we, farmers?

make your own bolts on a CNC lathe as required

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

brb, gotta tend to the foundry out back behind the garage

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Cutting long bolts to make them smaller?

LUXURY

We WISHED we could cut long bolts when we needed smaller bolts. When I was a lad...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, don't cut long bolts, just use a billion washers

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

Seems fine, but IMO just go to Fastenal and get a handful of the most common sizes (M5, M6 and M8 on Japanese bikes) and the associated nuts and washers. A $10 bag will last forever with occasional use.

You can also be cheap like me and buy only the longer bolts, then cut them down with a hacksaw and trim with a file and die any time you need a shorter one, which is great if your time is worthless.

Good idea! I will check that place out.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Cutting long bolts to make them smaller?

LUXURY

We WISHED we could cut long bolts when we needed smaller bolts. When I was a lad...

Bolts? You were lucky to have bolts! We had to make our own fasteners out of loctite and spare twigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

We called my grandpappy "Screwtooth" because he'd used his dentures as a die for the cedar bolts on his Appalachian-style cafe racer (Ducati bevel drive 350 if you must know)

He was a hit down at Jo's, but I think Smelly Pete and his RnineT with the maple syrup still gas tank continues to hold the most props. They got a photo of it on the wall, next to the 12-pointer with handlebars for antlers.