Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ugleb posted:

For anyone still missing stuff from wave 1 of the kickstarter, my dogtag and UCM Credit randomly appeared today.

Maybe, just maybe, we are getting close to wave 2....

That'd be nice, I really want those maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

Excellent, I'll put the order in this evening. Since you don't have PMs would you shoot me an email so I have your contact info: REDACTED?

EDIT:The order has been made, someone at Hawk must think I am obsessed with light cruisers.

I'm hearing people have started to get their Saratogas. Let us know when you see a shipping notification.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

I'm hearing people have started to get their Saratogas. Let us know when you see a shipping notification.

I ordered early and haven't seen mine yet. Just as a barometer.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

Will do. I haven't heard a peep since I got the order confirmation.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Thanks to a mistake in an order I've got a pack of Glasses to offload if anyone's interested.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I'm getting mine when I get back to the UK but would like to see how they are put together too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Goddamit I just lost one of those tiny bottom fins for my PHR cruisers. Now I'm going to go mad.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tournament standard format is 1,250 now right? Starting to think about lists to play when I get home

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Arcturas, darnon, wdarkk, and Pash

I got a shipping notification from Hawk this morning on our order. The tracking number doesn't resolve yet, but I should be receiving it soon. If you want to, go ahead and PM me your address so I can get these turned around.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Flipswitch posted:

tournament standard format is 1,250 now right? Starting to think about lists to play when I get home

That appears to be the number events are settling on yeah.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Makes sense but man that's a point value that's always gonna feel like not quite enough.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ZachAttack posted:

Arcturas, darnon, wdarkk, and Pash

I got a shipping notification from Hawk this morning on our order. The tracking number doesn't resolve yet, but I should be receiving it soon. If you want to, go ahead and PM me your address so I can get these turned around.

Sent you my info.

Flipswitch posted:

Makes sense but man that's a point value that's always gonna feel like not quite enough.

Yeah, 1250 is a tough value to squeeze in a battleship + anything major. It feels like you get one or two toys and then a bunch of utility.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Any UCM players have advice for playing against that PHR battleship with the crippling F(N) gun? I can't seem to keep anything on the board against it, every turn I'll get active scanned once or twice, then have a ship be one shot by it - and trying to take it out before that is a horrific grind. I've tried spamming burn throughs, with Avalon/St Petersburg / New Cairos, and I've tried turrets, Atlantis or Beijing/multiple Moscows/Osakas, and those fare even worse. Does UCM have anything that can take out the dolphin death star that I'm not seeing? the 3+ Armor and gigantic hull with accompanying Calypsos just makes it unfun and terrible.

Help me goons you're my only hope.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

With the caveat that I haven't played against it, maybe kill the Calypsos with bombers on turn 1-2, then nuke it on turn 3? If you can get 4 damage on a Calpyso you can usually kill it on the cripping damage roll. 3 bombers is close to that, on average. (2 crits, 2 hits, one hit blocked by the 3 PD, the other hit might get through...)

Alternatively see if you can bait out the calypso activations earlier in the turn with single burnthrough shots against stuff?

(I would suggest a CAW frigate mob since even 10 PD is only 3-4 hits removed, compared to the 50 attacks that 7 Taipeis could drop if you can get them all in range. 17.5 hits and 8.75 crits is enough to cripple the thing with a single round of CAW fire, plus a few more damage from main guns, if you get lucky. But the broadsides everywhere mean I have had a rough time using frigate swarms against PHR. Maybe I just need more practice.)

The other thing that I have found very annoying against my Limas, and might work against his Active Scan -> nuke strategy, is running silent on whatever ship he tags with active scan.

I dunno, man. They're tough.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Finally got around to getting my UCM battleship and starting to paint them all. I still need an opponent - Dropfleet stuff flies off the shelves at Dark Sphere in London but I never see any games played (and DS has slid into All Magic, All The Time over the last year, which sadly killed our large and vibrant Firestorm Armada group. They stopped stocking it and suddenly it was impossible to book tables).

One of my friends has half-jokingly suggested I slip notes into the remaining Dropfleet blisters with my email address...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Loxbourne posted:

Finally got around to getting my UCM battleship and starting to paint them all. I still need an opponent - Dropfleet stuff flies off the shelves at Dark Sphere in London but I never see any games played (and DS has slid into All Magic, All The Time over the last year, which sadly killed our large and vibrant Firestorm Armada group. They stopped stocking it and suddenly it was impossible to book tables).

One of my friends has half-jokingly suggested I slip notes into the remaining Dropfleet blisters with my email address...

The back of the shop does seem to be spreading and enlarging. MTG is what pays bills in game stores, unfortunately.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I thought British people played in clubs rather than game stores.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm here to blow your mind.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

I thought British people played in clubs rather than game stores.

Send me your address!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

Send me your address!

I have to delete some PMs first.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bistro, I have no idea how you have the patience and skill to get those clean and straight lines with masking tape over the bumpy UCM hills. I did okay on my frigates, but trying to manipulate and stick Tamiya masking tape to a few cruisers, particularly in the front gap between the upper hull and weapons tray, is a huge pain.

Edit: also, note to self. When taping, be sure to let paint dry for a good long while before applying tape. The lines are straight enough that cleaning this up is doable but...picking up all the underlying paint isn't my idea of a good time.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 16, 2017

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Goon group shipment complete. All Saratoga orders should be delivered, good work team.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Show only Athens class light cruiser at Salute tomorrow. Doesn't look all that special.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I definitely think the Saratoga looks better than the Athens. That said, it's really interesting to me how much they're doubling down on the UCM light cruisers. I suppose it's because the New Cairo was so popular and once you have the Saratoga the Athens is easy enough to do?

I also suppose I need to be taking more light cruisers in my UCM fleets?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

Goon group shipment complete. All Saratoga orders should be delivered, good work team.

Arrived, thank you.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAxySiGiXw

Apparently retail BCs in 2 months? Scourge one looks like an evil organic Battlestar Galactica.

EDIT:

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Not gonna lie, I'm entirely distracted by the super awesome black and glowing orange paint scheme.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That's the material they use to 3d print the masters. No paint magic I'm afraid.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

drat. Something like that with some solid highlighting and detail work would be pretty swell.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Im getting old, i can barely make out the ucm cruiser.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Here's the assembled one:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I love how front heavy the BCs are.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

darnon posted:

Here's the assembled one:

Yikes, glad I got the exclusives.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Arcturas posted:

Bistro, I have no idea how you have the patience and skill to get those clean and straight lines with masking tape over the bumpy UCM hills. I did okay on my frigates, but trying to manipulate and stick Tamiya masking tape to a few cruisers, particularly in the front gap between the upper hull and weapons tray, is a huge pain.

Edit: also, note to self. When taping, be sure to let paint dry for a good long while before applying tape. The lines are straight enough that cleaning this up is doable but...picking up all the underlying paint isn't my idea of a good time.

Been meaning to reply to this but yeah, it can be tricky. Especially in the gap. It helps to have a good pair of tweezers or two and to cut the masking tape a good bit longer than it actually needs to be so you have something to manipulate. I usually start from the center and use surface features to get both sides evenly, like clipping certain panels or crossing between the third and fourth dots in a group.

And you're right, give the first coat enough time to dry especially if you're using any additives like thinners or flow improvers. Good cleaning and priming also help. When i painted my ferrum i pulled off large parts of the flight deck when unmasking, that taught me to be thorough about that. :v:

I'm not entirely sure yet what to think of the new UCM battlecruisers but i'm curious if we'll get an additional variant. The scourge one seems to have three optional front sections and on the UCM one you could always put in new turrets.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bistromatic posted:

I'm not entirely sure yet what to think of the new UCM battlecruisers but i'm curious if we'll get an additional variant. The scourge one seems to have three optional front sections and on the UCM one you could always put in new turrets.

There are quite a few rules in the core book that aren't represented on any current ships, so I imagine a couple varieties won't be too far out. I assume background wise large-scale experimental weapons would appear on battlecruisers before being integrated into more costly battleships.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you think your UCM corvettes look too large and flat just fold them up to make them seem smaller :haw:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I like the battlecruisers so far, seems fairly solid and in line with what we already have?

Might the third piece on the Scourge one be for underneath?

Bistromatic posted:

If you think your UCM corvettes look too large and flat just fold them up to make them seem smaller :haw:

Nicely done! Did you have to cut much out, or is it just bending?

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I don't think it's a third piece, I think it's just the torpedo one flipped over so you can see said torpedo.

Also the Scourge one is great, it's basically an organic PHR battleship.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Hmm yeah, i could see it being a lower half or just a flipped piece. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Ugleb posted:

Nicely done! Did you have to cut much out, or is it just bending?
Just bending. Dunk the rear end in hot water and fold the wings down against a piece of 4mm polystyrene sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone played with the Beijing much? Unsure whether I'd ever run it.