Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Welp, just picked up some NFC devices on same-day delivery. Got my TagMo app ready to go, and just need to try it when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You wouldn't download a car. Would you download an amiibo?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean... I'd buy the amiibo if it was actually in stock at the store!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I feel like the only person who actually owns all the Zelda amiibo. This is because I have a problem and I have 80 - 90 amiibo plus about 200 of the cards. If I ever start a second file I'm going to be a dirty cheater take advantage of this and scan every last one of them (but Smash Link obviously, no reason to spawn Epona on the Great Plateau) right at the start of the game and just gently caress off with a full rear end inventory.

I spent thousands of dollars on this tat, but the thing is, if I sold it, I would get more thousands of dollars so that's kind of cool. I'm still a dweeb and a loser though for spending that much money on plastic toys and trading cards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow. You are a whale. No judgment .

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

euphronius posted:

How do I convince my 10 year old son that he should let me play more.

Help.

You do what any good parent would do...bust his rear end for some made up poo poo and ground him from the Nintendo for a month!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bum the Sad posted:

I would download a car that wasn't being made anymore.

The items you get from amiibos are tied to your progression. So the number of Divine beasts you've beaten determines what level of item you'll get.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I'd download a car that was still being made. That'd be great to be able to get a free car.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah that would be sweet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Lobster posted:

I feel like the only person who actually owns all the Zelda amiibo. This is because I have a problem and I have 80 - 90 amiibo plus about 200 of the cards. If I ever start a second file I'm going to be a dirty cheater take advantage of this and scan every last one of them (but Smash Link obviously, no reason to spawn Epona on the Great Plateau) right at the start of the game and just gently caress off with a full rear end inventory.

I spent thousands of dollars on this tat, but the thing is, if I sold it, I would get more thousands of dollars so that's kind of cool. I'm still a dweeb and a loser though for spending that much money on plastic toys and trading cards.

Certain items generated from amiibos won't spawn until you either 1) get the paraglider, or 2) have freed a divine beast. Epona falls into category 1. See: http://imgur.com/a/QWNvr#cvA9R8j

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

Of course the coolest beast is the easiest :(

Oh well...

You'll also hate yourself for not doing it earlier as it helps greatly with getting around the world.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

socialsecurity posted:

You'll also hate yourself for not doing it earlier as it helps greatly with getting around the world.

You are talking about RG? Yeah, I was just thinking about how many times it would have helped me along the way. I'm dumb.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah if I could 3D print an amiibo I would

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd say the bird power is best to get first, followed by the Zora power.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

euphronius posted:

Wow. You are a whale. No judgment .

I never thought of it like that, but I guess you are right. I don't spend money on mobile games, like, at all (maybe one time if I reeeeeally like it as a thank you to the developer) but that is a pretty good description of someone who buys an assload of these toys to life things as well. At least, unlike with mobile games, I have something to show for it.

Edit:

seiferguy posted:

Certain items generated from amiibos won't spawn until you either 1) get the paraglider, or 2) have freed a divine beast. Epona falls into category 1. See: http://imgur.com/a/QWNvr#cvA9R8j

Thanks for the link! I had seen something like that on a reddit post; I guess I just can't remember when amiibo spawning became a thing I could do from the menu and I assumed it was after the tutorial.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 11, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

seiferguy posted:

I mean... I'd buy the amiibo if it was actually in stock at the store!

Yeah this.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Lobster posted:

its almost a foregone conclusion that jivjov has them all

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The NFC stuff is a classic ROM situation where it's fine to backup and copy your own data like a crazy person, and it's ill-defined exactly how illegal unlocking stuff on the disc for personal use is. Works for a lot of Android phones too, no rooting. I thought they were just write only and you couldn't train them up in Smash Bros for example, just unlock hell of poo poo in games where it's a quick scan.
Some people get creative with it, and there are NTAG215s that are stickers you can put on other stuff you have sitting around. Not mine:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/random11s-credit-card-sized-amiibo-cards.465999/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-amiibo-cards-for-botw.464093/
Linking to actual amiibo bins is obviously no good.

Amiibos are irrelevant though. We have fullblown homebrew on the Wii U's current system version. Zelda BotW, like many Wii U games, has a complete save editor where you can just give yourself all the DLC costumes at once. There is a TCP based memory editor so you can have a PC-based trainer for BotW edit your inventory in real time.

El Burbo posted:

Because putting a bomb into the minecarts slot makes it go without hurting you. That's just how they work. Same with cannons. How have you been getting them to move if not with bombs?

Jesus Christ. I thought you could only do it off the back of the cart and I've used both stasis and a well timed korok leaf when it has had to go the other way.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah like I said. That's for Tagmo with an Android phone. You don't need the Powersaves device for that.

True, but it's no use picking up a handful of tags and hoping - you either need that one type and an android device or the powersaves powertag thing.

Bum the Sad posted:

You wouldn't download a car. Would you download a possessed laser-shooting giant flowerpot killer robot?

FTFY.

The Lobster posted:

Thanks for the link! I had seen something like that on a reddit post; I guess I just can't remember when amiibo spawning became a thing I could do from the menu and I assumed it was after the tutorial.

It's one of the runes added when you upgrade the slate; you can't use amiibos till then.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Where do I see the percentage of how much of the game I've completed once I beat it? I have all the shrines, side quests, and shrine quests done.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Tatsuta Age posted:

its almost a foregone conclusion that jivjov has them all

Well I might as well kill myself then. I've become jivjov. :smithicide:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You keep the price of games down for us all. Thank you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Heran Bago posted:

The NFC stuff is a classic ROM situation where it's fine to backup and copy your own data like a crazy person, and it's ill-defined exactly how illegal unlocking stuff on the disc for personal use is. Works for a lot of Android phones too, no rooting. I thought they were just write only and you couldn't train them up in Smash Bros for example, just unlock hell of poo poo in games where it's a quick scan.
Some people get creative with it, and there are NTAG215s that are stickers you can put on other stuff you have sitting around. Not mine:

I'd confuse the heck out of Smash Toon Link and regular Toon Link. I should at least get a label maker, or something.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

This is the next generation of Pogs tbh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ProjektorBoy posted:

This is the next generation of Pogs tbh

holy poo poo nfc pogs would loving own

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Where do I see the percentage of how much of the game I've completed once I beat it? I have all the shrines, side quests, and shrine quests done.

Destroy Ganon, and then you'll have a save right outside his door in Hyrule Castle with a star on it. Load that and bring up your map and the completion percentage will be in the lower left hand corner.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

acksplode posted:

Destroy Ganon, and then you'll have a save right outside his door in Hyrule Castle with a star on it. Load that and bring up your map and the completion percentage will be in the lower left hand corner.

Ah, sweet. Thanks!

So is that percentage of "game completion" or "map exploration"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Reinanigans posted:

Ah, sweet. Thanks!

game completion
like 60% of it is Korok Seeds :getin:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Phantasium posted:

holy poo poo nfc pogs would loving own

whoa

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Reinanigans posted:

Ah, sweet. Thanks!

It's basically filling in the map, in a way. So yes, every single place name. Also icons. So, every single Korok seed. Have fun!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The percentage is map-specific, which includes korok seeds because they show up on the map when you're zoomed in all the way.

It doesn't include neat poo poo like medals you can get for killing all of each type of mini-boss.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The only completion % that matters is the one in your heart.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Augus posted:

game completion
like 60% of it is Korok Seeds :getin:

It's actually more.

Dungeon Clear (Boss Defeated) = .08% x 4 = .32%
Korok Seeds = .08% x 900 = 72%
Shrine Discovery = .08% x 120 = 9.60%
Location Discovery = .08% x 226(?) = 18.08%

Quests / Sidequests / Compendium and other poo poo don't county towards that percentage. And looking into this apparently you get a medal for beating every overworld boss.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's actually more.

Dungeon Clear (Boss Defeated) = .08% x 4 = .32%
Korok Seeds = .08% x 900 = 72%
Shrine Discovery = .08% x 120 = 9.60%
Location Discovery = .08% x 226(?) = 18.08%

Hahah, 3/4ths are Koroks. I get that they're a fun incentive to explore, but I also read past 400, they don't even matter.

My hopes for the next Zelda game:
- a game % that actually tracks completion rather than how many bafmodads you find (seriously, how are quests not included in % completed?)

- more dungeons, and individually themed dungeons again

- more classic items (mostly the hookshot, maybe the gauntlets and ball and chain, but an instrument again would be cool--they never topped the ocarina)

- more involvement from the sages/champions

- a better final boss fight

- Better horse controls and more of a reason to use the horse. Honestly, climbing and teleporting are so much easier.

- ...and make it like 500 hours because I'm sad that I beat this game. :smith:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 11, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reinanigans posted:

(seriously, how are quests not included in % completed?),

The quests / side quests / shrine quests and memories all have their own competition numbers on their respective page which is why I'm guessing they don't count. Same with the compendium.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Heran Bago posted:

Amiibos are irrelevant though. We have fullblown homebrew on the Wii U's current system version. Zelda BotW, like many Wii U games, has a complete save editor where you can just give yourself all the DLC costumes at once. There is a TCP based memory editor so you can have a PC-based trainer for BotW edit your inventory in real time.

Yeah but that doesn't apply for the Switch, where the amiibo still do stuff so until we have Homebrew on the Switch spoof amiibo all day.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

thatguy posted:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Hahaha don't they count the Korok seeds as something like 70% of the game?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Should be 100%. Legend of Korok: Maracas of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The next Zelda game should have 1800 Koroks and you can't fight Ganon until you find all of them.