Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Also, what if you've got a hankering for 78's? Got some of my grandma's old shellac records a while back and they're neat in a hosed-up "everyone remotely involved in this recording is long dead" kinda way.

Thrift stores and antique stores. They're usually in horrible shape, but occasionally you can find one intact.

Gospel Boogie is amazing. I have a cover version by something called Deacon Utley and the Smile-A-While Quartet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I now strangly want to DJ a set with nothing but old 78s and a loop machine

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Feel kind of ashamed to admit this but I've never been to Amoeba. Is it a good store?
Whenever I'm in the area my usual one-two punch is hitting up Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle followed by Amoeba. Highly recommended.

revmoo posted:

I now strangly want to DJ a set with nothing but old 78s and a loop machine
Man, I should pick up the new Caretaker if it's still available.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

revmoo posted:

Ty for recordposting.

My understanding is that there were some QC issues on the '12 press, but I think there were a lot more successful copies minted than people think. Mine has a handful of defects but it still sounds amazing imo.

fun fact (which I can in no way prove is factual): an acquaintance recently told me a story about digitizing a pretty famous (up there with Lennon and Freddie Mercury) artist's archives. He said the tapes were poorly stored and probably wouldn't last another 20 years, but the estate refused a full digitization, so a lot of that stuff is gonna be gone and soon.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Thrift stores and antique stores. They're usually in horrible shape, but occasionally you can find one intact.

Gospel Boogie is amazing. I have a cover version by something called Deacon Utley and the Smile-A-While Quartet.

Ah. I'm more into the 1910s stuff, because it's so foreign. Broke my 78 stylus recently though and need to get another.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

are you not telling us who the famous artist is (it's totally herb alpert) so you can amass their entire collection, all the records, and be able to flip them for all the profit?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

revmoo posted:

Ty for recordposting.

My understanding is that there were some QC issues on the '12 press, but I think there were a lot more successful copies minted than people think. Mine has a handful of defects but it still sounds amazing imo.

People were upset because they came from the digital remasters instead of being full analog pressings, but in all honesty, it shouldn't really have mattered. I mean, if you want a high quality AAA pressing, you literally have tons of options since everything before '87 would be from an analog source. But you know how some people get.

In all honesty, people love to complain. Hell, I'm sure you'll find someone complaining about the latest Adele album on vinyl because they didn't cut it at 45 RPM using an all analog source and it's just digital man.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

Signed copy of the new Future Islands album on white arrived today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

are you not telling us who the famous artist is (it's totally herb alpert) so you can amass their entire collection, all the records, and be able to flip them for all the profit?

I look forward to a dystopian future when someone says "Holy poo poo, you have a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights" with total sincerity.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 10, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

I look forward to a dystopian future when someone says "Holy poo poo, you have a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights" with total sincerity.

I live in a first strike city, but far enough away I'll probably get killed by the radiation not the fireball, so feel free to scavenge my collection!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If vinyl isn't going to be the primary currency of our post apocalyptic world then what the gently caress is the point of collecting it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Peas and Rice posted:

If vinyl isn't going to be the primary currency of our post apocalyptic world then what the gently caress is the point of collecting it.

You like it? :shrug:

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

No that can't be it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Glazier posted:

Hold on, are you saying you actually listen to your records?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yr actually collecting positive experiences and one day you might feel nothing when you look at them because you've lost or overwritten the memory of the feeling that made you like them in the first place

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Demon Days came in finally. I'm glad I own a copy and it didn't cost me $200 or whatever.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

stay depressed posted:

yr actually collecting positive experiences and one day you might feel nothing when you look at them because you've lost or overwritten the memory of the feeling that made you like them in the first place

username is on point

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
its there for a reason

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Hold on, are you saying you actually listen to your records?

I'm a renegade!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Aw yeah, limited edition RSD-branded cleaning fluid.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Dropped some stuff off at my local thrift store, decided to look at the vinyl selection real quick to see if there was anything good.

Welp.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'll need to let my record store guy know to put a case aside for me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think this is the official "jump the shark" moment for record store day.

Peas and Rice posted:

Dropped some stuff off at my local thrift store, decided to look at the vinyl selection real quick to see if there was anything good.

Welp.

A Gas Light Production? :tinfoil:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Anyone get their copy of demon days? Mine sounds noticeably worse than the copy I have on my phone. The rap sections in particular have a really strong hiss.

Edit: nvm adjusted the counterweight and it's better now.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 12, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New King Gizzard album is up for preorder

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bowmore posted:

New King Gizzard album is up for preorder
Just got home from the show. Godamn they are a tight band. The AC⚡DC intro was rad too. Oh poo poo they played part of that new song tonight. It was cool live but I don't know if I could listen to that cyborg stuff on an album.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 12, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just use a hyphen or a slash or nothing like a normal human being

gently caress

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Allen Wren posted:

r
just use a hyphen or a slash or nothing like a normal human being

gently caress
Cause I'm 40 years old and these picture things on my phone blow my mind.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sporklift posted:

Just got home from the show. Godamn they are a tight band. The AC⚡DC intro was rad too. Oh poo poo they played part of that new song tonight. It was cool live but I don't know if I could listen to that cyborg stuff on an album.
If I don't like it I know I can just sell it because the limited version of the Gizzard albums are always wanted

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Finally got the Rez soundtrack. This thing is really pretty and thick as hell because there's an art/making of book sandwiched between the cover.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
more like hidden ... barfmetic?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That looks cooler than my pick up today, a pretty minty Close to the Edge for a buck at Savers.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
christ. it's late for me i'm going to bed.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
its just the record im listening to please do not think i just bought this

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

That looks cooler than my pick up today, a pretty minty Close to the Edge for a buck at Savers.

Great album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

its just the record im listening to please do not think i just bought this

Oh, if it's just post what you're listening to you'd be seeing a whole lot more Windham Hill in this thread coming from this guy.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found this at Goodwill today

Edit --> I guess it's supposed to be 2 discs. I got owned by Goodwill.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 13, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Trying to decide keep it or flip it. Kinda a fun party album to have in my set but on the other hand I'm not at all attached to it and I can buy a bunch of records for what it sells for. Seems weird this isn't getting more of a reissue.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't really like it then sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Speaking of albums that didn't get a reissue but probably should have given how much the original press goes for now... Someone did an unofficial run of the Spinnerette LP on blue vinyl. Fantastic album, especially for the $20 you can get the repress at: https://www.discogs.com/Spinnerette-Spinnerette/release/9216426