Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

What would be cool is if when you integrate a hive mind vassal into your non-hive empire, it counts as a faction unto itself that only its hive-minded pops are a part of.

Or if you get hive mind pops. Also, the hive mind empire gets visibility wherever hive pops exist.

Can the latter at least be part of the inevitable space spy themed expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I skimmed the last few pages and it seems the general consensus is that the latest DLC is good? I haven't played Stellaris much for about six months, wondering if the new DLC is worth the full price tag and if it makes the game feel more fleshed out.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
According to the Curators i know about the Enigmatic Fortress, but i never got a pop up and i can't find them anywhere. Is there a way to track them down?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Or if you get hive mind pops.

Well, if you just have them in your empire, then the whole thing isn't really under your direct control. So in that case maybe their effective "happiness" is just tied to whatever their overmind thinks of you diplomatically. That opens up some interesting options.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

What would be cool is if when you integrate a hive mind vassal into your non-hive empire, it counts as a faction unto itself that only its hive-minded pops are a part of.

Yeah, there's a million ways they could have handled hive minds and multi-species empires but they went with the most extreme and kinda lazy solution :(
Give hives ethos and thus different personalities. Maybe let them just pick 1 ethos like our pops have, and all their pops count as that ethos. Hives integrated into an empire would create a single faction with the name of that hive for all that hive's pops with demands based on the hive's ethos. Could have interesting stuff like hive pops within other empires grant the source hive sensor data from that world, and if you go to war with the source hive mind all their pops in your empire could convert into assault armies. The source hive could also decide to just let their drones die off if ever conquered.

And why not have non-hive pops mingling with hive pops in a hive empire? If the hive is xenophile then you're golden, they love having all these individual minds for them to interact with. Why can't a hive mind be a peaceful friendly explorer? So you're a hive mind, you get some non-hive pops, ok fine now you have to deal with all the same poo poo other empires do. Don't want to deal with that poo poo then don't open your borders for migration or don't annex.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GunnerJ posted:

Well, if you just have them in your empire, then the whole thing isn't really under your direct control. So in that case maybe their effective "happiness" is just tied to whatever their overmind thinks of you diplomatically. That opens up some interesting options.

That's kind of why I feel like integration shouldn't even be possible, because even if it is under your control, the overmind is still there deciding what to do.

Or maybe when integrated it automatically becomes a sector, from which hivemind worlds cannot be removed...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I skimmed the last few pages and it seems the general consensus is that the latest DLC is good? I haven't played Stellaris much for about six months, wondering if the new DLC is worth the full price tag and if it makes the game feel more fleshed out.
It is good, but somewhat buggy. I probably wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't already strong fans until 1.6.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Pellisworth posted:

For my part it's worth full price. It's easily one of the biggest DLCs Paradox has ever done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it's real good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

According to the Curators i know about the Enigmatic Fortress, but i never got a pop up and i can't find them anywhere. Is there a way to track them down?

Check your situation log for a point of interest and follow it - at least some of the curator dialogues (like "tell us about something we don't know") will just put a marker down.

After you follow it, look for that glowing indicator.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

That's kind of why I feel like integration shouldn't even be possible, because even if it is under your control, the overmind is still there deciding what to do.

Or maybe when integrated it automatically becomes a sector, from which hivemind worlds cannot be removed...

It's definitely a challenge within the framework of the game and so it'd require some thinking to get right, but still, I think complete incompatibility wasn't the best way to handle it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How does Fanatic Purifiers interact with Syncretic Evolution? Disastrously, I'm guessing? Like, if I start out with the latter and then ethic shift my way into the former, will I just start auto-purging my little neo-chimps?

alcaras posted:

Mostly hewed to the loadouts recommended here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
(Warning: some spoilers there if you scroll down, particularly for the Shroud)
Something's different in 1.5, because that setup doesn't seem to work nearly as well for FE's as the dude claims it does. Your larger ships start melting pretty early on in the engagement, so they probably tweaked the targeting priorities (where their BB's will prioritize yours, regardless of how much trash you have in between).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Soup du Journey posted:

How does Fanatic Purifiers interact with Syncretic Evolution? Disastrously, I'm guessing?

Yeah in the sense that if you took both then your game has a pretty severe bug. (They're incompatible.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks for the info I think I'll pick the expansion up tonight. What about the Leviathan story pack, is that worthwhile?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Check your situation log for a point of interest and follow it - at least some of the curator dialogues (like "tell us about something we don't know") will just put a marker down.

After you follow it, look for that glowing indicator.

Hmm, no, they don't have anything more i don't know and none of the markers were the fortress :(
It's not in a system with the same name every time that i can search for or something? Or some console fuckery?

Nvm, i flipped on "Observe" and went through the entire galaxy and found them.

Unrelated, anyone got a mod to recommend that makes defence stations good/useful?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 12, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Alright after a binge of several games I've come to the conclusion that Utopia owns. The first game I ran was a hivemind that devoured its neighbors. Unfortunately the hive got devoured by an angry AE and the unbidden. Ignoring factions and happiness is a powerful advantage but, it feels too similar to xenophobes. I almost never agree to migration treaties and the fact that any thing that comes to my planets dies solves a lot of my problems with migration. It was very annoying to meet a new race and have my dudes leave which fucks up my economy so I like not having to deal with that. The diplomacy malus really hurts when it comes to hives though. I usually play with the max amount of AI empires allowed and hives don't feel powerful enough to warrant the huge diplomacy penalty. I think hives should be able to ignore consumer goods in addition to its other traits because its supposed to use pops as tools for its own will so why do they need space smartphones? They are meat robots that are here to facilitate the consumption of the rest of the universe they have no use for consumer goods. In one of the games I didn't die to the AI having magically more resources than me or diplomatic failure I went down the biological ascension path and it was alright. The super traits didn't seem to add much of a benefit. They were cool but, it didn't feel powerful or like I'd done some kind of cataclysmic change to my empire. I hope it gets iterated on in the future because I think it has potential.

The second game I was in I took control of a random empire in one of the games my hive died in and I have no idea how that AI was so powerful. Its planets had almost no development but, it could field a fleet 2x the size of mine when I had more fleet cap and more developed planets. This AI race was not well built so I went down the synthetic ascension path. Unlike the biological path, the synthetic path gave huge benefits. All my pops had their crappy traits replaced with good bonuses and I no longer had to deal with an amalgam of undesirables that had migrated in from the surrounding empires. It changed what my ships and stations looked like which was cool but, it wasn't consistent. Also it was funny to see all the spiritualist empires freak out that I turned into robots. The bonuses are awesome to and there was a huge bump in all of my production when the upload finally finished. The synthetic path was cool and was powerful and it would be even better if the pops auto generated because all that clicking :negative:. Also I don't think any of my sectors would build my pops so I had to take the + core sector techs/ascension to stay competitive.

I've played a few other games and I'm not sure why but, the AI seems to be able to consistently get more resources than I do. It doesn't seem to matter how many resource producing buildings I make they still end up outpacing me. Additionally it seems like you basically can't shift into xenophobe or spiritualist if you get established in the opposite direction. It'd be nice if the other crises had a higher chance of happening too since I seem to only get the unbidden anymore.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It makes sense that hive mind pops die out if you take part of their empire, since they would be pretty useless without them hearing the hivemind. When you take over the entire empire however is when things get interesting. Even then it would seem hiveminds should be like an autonomous group that acts separately from the rest of your empire in gameplay terms I would keep them as vassals, so I don't see this getting improved until we get a better vassal system or maybe a better sector system.

Even the other way around, you really cannot be part of a hivemind empire unless you are part of the collective. The exception I can think of is maybe as slaves, but I'm not too sure about that either. Wiz did say he wanted to include an option to deport pops instead of eating them if you want to play good-guy Hivemind, so maybe we'll see that soon.

Also the most obvious option I think is to give us the ability to remove/add the hivemind trait earlier.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Pellisworth posted:

Thanks for the info I think I'll pick the expansion up tonight. What about the Leviathan story pack, is that worthwhile?

It's not going to make or break Stellaris for you, but it's worth its price in more stuff if you find you're enjoying the game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Azuth0667 posted:

I think hives should be able to ignore consumer goods in addition to its other traits because its supposed to use pops as tools for its own will so why do they need space smartphones? They are meat robots that are here to facilitate the consumption of the rest of the universe they have no use for consumer goods.

As meat robots hive pops use only 50% of the consumer goods others do.

They still do have to wash dishes, drive around, build factories, etc, just less smartphones.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I don't understand how autoexplore operates wrt anomalies. Is it right you just don't get them on autoexplore, or do you just not get the notification, or what? How's it work, somebody?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Flopstick posted:

I don't understand how autoexplore operates wrt anomalies. Is it right you just don't get them on autoexplore, or do you just not get the notification, or what? How's it work, somebody?

It pops up a notification when they discover one. If you choose to investigate it, they do, and then they go back to exploring. You still have to manually tell them to do special research projects though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ulmont posted:

As meat robots hive pops use only 50% of the consumer goods others do.

They still do have to wash dishes, drive around, build factories, etc, just less smartphones.

My space plant hive has no use for these fancy dishes. All inferior non-photosynthesizing races need to assimilate or die :black101:!

Time to try out the new psychic stuff.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bholder posted:

It makes sense that hive mind pops die out if you take part of their empire, since they would be pretty useless without them hearing the hivemind.

But even looking at it from this direction, it's not clear why having to refrain from operating your drones on certain planets (which is how losing a war to take planets away probably looks to a hive mind) means that those drones are actually cut off from the hive mind. It's a psychic link, not a political one.

eta:

Bholder posted:

Even the other way around, you really cannot be part of a hivemind empire unless you are part of the collective.

I'm not sure about this either, because yeah you can't join the mind without being genetically modified, but that's different from whether you can continue to live in territory the hive controls. The hive's drones apparently require similar infrastructure in terms of housing and consumable goods that non-hive beings do. The hive mind is an intelligent entity. It could probably work something out in terms of setting ground rules and building infrastructure.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 12, 2017

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
So fired up a Hive Mind to mess around with and this happens

Bera has the Enigmatic Fortress
Gargantua has The Infinity Machine (as always)
Tunari Vortex blackhole has The Dimensional Horror

The yellow border is from my capital 2 jumps away from Bera. :psyboom:

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the goon human arch pack are any of those arch humans Mormon?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flopstick posted:

Exact same way it works if you just queued up a bunch of Survey System orders. You get a pop-up when they find it, you can order them to investigate it or not, if you choose not they just keep on trucking.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Conskill posted:

It's not going to make or break Stellaris for you, but it's worth its price in more stuff if you find you're enjoying the game.

Enclaves are a pretty cool feature and it's always cool to have that "oh gently caress" moment when the Dimensional Horror is nearby. Yeah, if you're picking up Utopia best to have Leviathans ready too.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
getting your level 5 scientist eaten by a leviathan is somewhat irritating though

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Gave my entire species psionic abilities. They are now The Men Who Stare at Goatse. 10/10, would buy again.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

But even looking at it from this direction, it's not clear why having to refrain from operating your drones on certain planets (which is how losing a war to take planets away probably looks to a hive mind) means that those drones are actually cut off from the hive mind. It's a psychic link, not a political one.

I could argue that the link was cutoff voluntarily or by space magic, still the game rules state that those pops are not under your control and hivemind pops have no will on their own so they just die out.

Best case would be to make them a constantly rebelling, but that sounds more annoying than anything.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure about this either, because yeah you can't join the mind without being genetically modified, but that's different from whether you can continue to live in territory the hive controls. The hive's drones apparently require similar infrastructure in terms of housing and consumable goods that non-hive beings do. The hive mind is an intelligent entity. It could probably work something out in terms of setting ground rules and building infrastructure.

That is why I said slaves at most because even then these people would be less than second hand citizens. Or, again we can hope for a future vassal/sector rework and put them in an autonomous sector as a vassal, since they should live secluded from the hivemind.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bholder posted:

I could argue that the link was cutoff voluntarily or by space magic, still the game rules state that those pops are not under your control and hivemind pops have no will on their own so they just die out.

Well, yes, but I thought you were coming at why the game rules might make sense from an in-universe perspective.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The spiritual faction leader is currently a synth in my game. :confused:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

The spiritual faction leader is currently a synth in my game. :confused:

Well, you know, Cylons just wouldn't stop talking about God and souls as far as I remember.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

the entire galaxy cheered and then followed suit in declaring war on me

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah in the sense that if you took both then your game has a pretty severe bug. (They're incompatible.)
Nah, just theorycrafting. Kind of a bummer I can't take both. How does purifier work with gene modded variants of your base species? They're not considered full-on xenos, right?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

Nah, just theorycrafting. Kind of a bummer I can't take both. How does purifier work with gene modded variants of your base species? They're not considered full-on xenos, right?

They are.

If you get the random adaptation event then about five seconds after the excited announcement that they're going to be declaring themselves a subspecies the jackboots arrive to herd them into the labour camps.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Soup du Journey posted:

Nah, just theorycrafting. Kind of a bummer I can't take both.

Ah, OK. Well, it's possible that they wouldn't see the prole species as "xenos" because they have evolved in tandem with them. But then it's hard to see why they'd be unable to accept alien life as having any value.

Also it's just a line in the definition that says "doesn't have Syncretic Evolution" so it'd be easy to mod out and see what happens. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bholder posted:

It makes sense that hive mind pops die out if you take part of their empire, since they would be pretty useless without them hearing the hivemind. When you take over the entire empire however is when things get interesting. Even then it would seem hiveminds should be like an autonomous group that acts separately from the rest of your empire in gameplay terms I would keep them as vassals, so I don't see this getting improved until we get a better vassal system or maybe a better sector system.

Even the other way around, you really cannot be part of a hivemind empire unless you are part of the collective. The exception I can think of is maybe as slaves, but I'm not too sure about that either. Wiz did say he wanted to include an option to deport pops instead of eating them if you want to play good-guy Hivemind, so maybe we'll see that soon.

Also the most obvious option I think is to give us the ability to remove/add the hivemind trait earlier.

Every empire is full of autonomous groups that act separately. Only difference for a hive mind is that it's bigger.

And Unity never purged Rick and Morty despite them not being part of the hive! A hive mind should be just as capable of bossing people around as an Emperor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GunnerJ posted:

You can do a lot of fun stuff with premade empires that you can't do with normal player empires (see my Triple Xenophobe guys), so you could probably test it out pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'll be auto-purged

• Locked thread