Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't Iran have state subsidised gender reassignment surgeries? I mean they're a backwards authoritarian theocracy, but it's not as if they'd be shocked and no one has ever come out as queer in Iran.

Ahmadinnerjacket used to run around claiming there were no gays in Iran. Its still pretty homophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't Iran have state subsidised gender reassignment surgeries? I mean they're a backwards authoritarian theocracy, but it's not as if they'd be shocked and no one has ever come out as queer in Iran.

Iran's complicated. People from the country hate queer people and will hang them (my understanding is those hanging-from-cranes pictures you see are from the more rural areas), but many in the city are quite liberal. There was one student at work who needed a hand with the photocopier who had dyed, wild hair and clothes that were less than modest who I thought at first was an Australian or an Australian resident. Her passport was Iranian and in the passport she had the hijab on. These Iranians see their government as backwards and a deep embarrassment, like we see Tony Abbott or Donald Trump. There's a thriving gay underground culture in Iran, so I guess what I'd say to my former friend in that instance is, it depends on who you come out to.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Ahmadinnerjacket used to run around claiming there were no gays in Iran. Its still pretty homophobic.

Former President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Just outta curiosity given the people in here (and it's been ages since a AusPol thread poll), I wonder what the voter breakdown on here is now and how it compares to the last lot of polls. I wouldn't mind knowing how many Goons are OBs, staffers and elected officials.

Starshark posted:

Iran's complicated. People from the country hate queer people and will hang them (my understanding is those hanging-from-cranes pictures you see are from the more rural areas), but many in the city are quite liberal. There was one student at work who needed a hand with the photocopier who had dyed, wild hair and clothes that were less than modest who I thought at first was an Australian or an Australian resident. Her passport was Iranian and in the passport she had the hijab on. These Iranians see their government as backwards and a deep embarrassment, like we see Tony Abbott or Donald Trump. There's a thriving gay underground culture in Iran, so I guess what I'd say to my former friend in that instance is, it depends on who you come out to.

Yeah. I've heard from a few mates who've travelled in those parts that Tehran's a bit of a thriving cultural hotspot and is pretty loving cool as far as cities go. The Iranian Government seems to have a bit of a don't ask don't tell policy for Tehran. As long as they keep their poo poo to themselves and don't let the regions know what's going on, they won't crack down.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 12, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Iran can't have gay people because Latham says that gay people are good and Iran is bad. Check mate.

For someone stupid in the media who isn't Beautiful Daisy™ or a boiled ham that shops at Lowes I offer up the following

https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/status/851703360939896832

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's an interesting (if heartbreaking) instance of one step forward two steps back.

Homosexualiy is 100% illegal, however trans individuals are recognized as having a legitimate medical issue. So gay people in Iran hae a choice between hiding who they are entirely, or legally switching genders to be with who they love.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Hanson continues to play nth dimensional chess

https://twitter.com/australian/status/851904145820987392

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Does she think that's a vote winning move?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
According to those comments it's a vote winner with the demographic who entirely misinterpret 'The Road Not Taken.'

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

I'm pretty sure ABC is popular amongst her voters. This is a classic example of party members/activists being completely out of touch with the people who vote for them. If they actually pull this off, their regional QLD vote is gonna tank hard.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This is just another step in Hanson copying Trump's playbook. They're blocking any access to ABC reporters (like Trump blocked some news orgs from conferences) and now they're going to slash their funding.

What I don't get is how the Libs, One Nation, et al target ABC and SBS when any polling would surely show they're popular in the electorate. I suppose they don't do any polling on it and just go with their ideology.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is just another step in Hanson copying Trump's playbook. They're blocking any access to ABC reporters (like Trump blocked some news orgs from conferences) and now they're going to slash their funding.

What I don't get is how the Libs, One Nation, et al target ABC and SBS when any polling would surely show they're popular in the electorate. I suppose they don't do any polling on it and just go with their ideology.

I mean, taking away enough money to cause a drop in quality of service and content is a good way of killing off support for a publicly owned entity. I mean, that's what they did with the energy retailers and with Telecom...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any data to reflect that the ABC and SBS are popular in One Nation electorates? I feel like people are just making poo poo up about this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

norp posted:

The only thing that matters to PH is that she's angry at the ABC for exposing dodgy poo poo in PHON.

It's just a petty revenge play / temper tantrum.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

norp posted:

This question is 5 words too long and the answer is still 'no'

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Bogan King posted:

For someone stupid in the media who isn't Beautiful Daisy™ or a boiled ham that shops at Lowes I offer up the following

https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/status/851703360939896832

Is he being stupid because he is only talking about half the reasons?

Because lower life expectancy is the major reason why the average age of Indigenous people is lower than non-Indigenous people. It's a national disgrace.

I know the other reason is that indigenous people have a higher birth rate (2.7 Vs 1.9) which would also lower the average.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

TheHeadSage posted:

I might actually go to the next Vic Young Greens meeting just so I can laugh at them. Might be more entertaining than the local branch meetings.

VIC YG are worse than Young Labor, don't bother unless you hate yourself.

As far as factional stuff goes, the Greens have always had factions, they just weren't formalised. There's been a right-wing grouping organised out of a set of Parliamentary offices in NSW since Ian Cohen was elected. Buckingham's staff coordinated Dawn Walker and Justin Field's preselection campaigns. Cate Faehrmann was part of it when she was an MP, and it's no coincidence RDN hired her as his chief of staff. This new VIC one is a thought bubble, though, as far as I'm aware it's like one guy and a couple of his friends.

The thing is, it's not radical leftist groupings holding the Greens back. We've been going "professional" for at least 7 years, and our national vote has stagnated. For all Richard's bluster, he led Victoria to a marginal increase in the lower house (primarily through transferring votes from the outer suburbs and regions to inner Melbourne) and a stagnant Senate vote, with three times the effective budget of NSW. In a half-senate election we would have lost SA and QLD, and NSW got Lee back in by a hair. We've been outright told by Party Room they won't run on free education (despite that being policy) basic income (despite that being policy) or nationalising vital industries (despite that being policy).

You can think talking about smashing capitalism is ineffective (it's not that ineffective in my local area, people are way less attached to capitalism than the Liberals would have you believe) but the Greens need to reorient to some radical and visionary policy. Free education, basic income, re-nationalise the job service, direct Federal investment into publicly-owned renewable energy. Stop privatisation, fund public housing, etc. This small-target bullshit on market mechanisms for climate, tune the levers on taxation a bit and oh introduce a sugar tax is just simply not working and we're going to keep slowly bleeding away.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Welcome back to the thread QM

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Is there any data to reflect that the ABC and SBS are popular in One Nation electorates? I feel like people are just making poo poo up about this.

You live in a capital city, don't you.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Freudian Slip posted:

Welcome back to the thread QM

I've missed it in an odd way

and yeah AFAIK there are data that show the popularity of ABC programs in regional electorates, most notably Radio National. The ABC is more than just QandA.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm sure the Liberal party will be devastated to hear they have to cut the ABC's funding to secure Hanson's vote.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

You live in a capital city, don't you.

Rather than engaging in this poo poo I went and read their self reporting on regional performance and it has declined during prime time (as a share of all free to air television space). Thank you for your post.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

a decline in market share does not indicate a negative view of the service fyi

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It doesn't say that people have a positive view of the service. The only info available is that they're experiencing consistent prime time decline in regional areas as a share of the space (nothing to do with people abandoning television for streaming).

It's not going to help them that they're cancelling traditional ABC shows like Dr Blake Mysteries for the simple fact that too many people have been watching them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I've missed it in an odd way

Stockholm Syndrome.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Oh and what I actually came to drop may help too

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-28/who-elected-one-nation-xenophon-lambie/7825106

That's who votes for one nation.

Who uses and/or supports the ABC is harder to get data on.

I would have guessed that One Nation had a strong rural following and it is in rural areas that cuts to the ABC are most keenly felt and therefore opposed. I have heard this spruiked on more than one occasion from both the print media and the ABC itself. The evidence is harder to find directly and One Nation has its strongest support in the Howard 'Battler' areas. Amusingly the support for One Nation is lowest in suburbs with a significant Muslim population.

But the real question is why the gently caress are we talking about One Nation at all? Her rabidly racist anti halal Easter egg campaign has been a spectacular success in getting her message of hate and intolerance out there (Lindt and Darrell Lea are both proudly unhalal certified btw). Our entire news media is filled with hateful racist poo poo (AFL players vilification, 18C, halal eggs) with only the mildest of tut tuttings in opposition and even then the most outspoken critics are howled down as rabid leftist free speech haters. Sturm und Drang is good clickbait I guess.

Made link clickable

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Weren't rural people getting upset just a couple months ago when the ABC turned off their shortwave radio service?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Rather than engaging in this poo poo I went and read their self reporting on regional performance and it has declined during prime time (as a share of all free to air television space). Thank you for your post.

No I was simply pointing out that if you lived in a regional area, you would be aware of it, because it's infrastructure every bit as important to regional people as roads and telephones. The phrase "ABC funding cuts" means a little bit more here. Clearly not to you.

But please, do continue to make wild assertions about what might be cut and how regional people might view it, I'm sure we all need to be reeducated.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

Weren't rural people getting upset just a couple months ago when the ABC turned off their shortwave radio service?

Yeah, but not all rural areas are One Nation powerhouses. I can imagine that rural Nats and whatever else are going to be supportive of ABC services and frequently use them. I can't imagine that towns or regions with strong One Nation support (or a strong pull towards One Nation) share that love of public television and radio.

ewe2 posted:

No I was simply pointing out that if you lived in a regional area, you would be aware of it, because it's infrastructure every bit as important to regional people as roads and telephones. The phrase "ABC funding cuts" means a little bit more here. Clearly not to you.

But please, do continue to make wild assertions about what might be cut and how regional people might view it, I'm sure we all need to be reeducated.

If you read the post you would have noted I was referring to strong One Nation areas. Do you live in a card carrying one nation area with some good anecdotal stories about how they love the ABC?

JBP posted:

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 12, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

Is he being stupid because he is only talking about half the reasons?

Because lower life expectancy is the major reason why the average age of Indigenous people is lower than non-Indigenous people. It's a national disgrace.

I know the other reason is that indigenous people have a higher birth rate (2.7 Vs 1.9) which would also lower the average.

That's Bernard Salt, the smashed avocado man.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

If you read the post you would have noted I was referring to strong One Nation areas. Do you live in a card carrying one nation area with some good anecdotal stories about how they love the ABC?

They aren't the majority of electorates, but I can think of two off the top of my head: SE Qld and Nth Qld. SE Qld would support cuts because demographically a large percentage are retirees from the south. Nth Qld, however would disagree since they're angry with everyone else because they don't have enough infrastructure. Unless you have an interesting list of strong PHON electorates? For your information, I have lived in both areas, but do not currently live in a "stronghold", they seem to be rarer than you suggest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't get me wrong, PHON is not a widely supported political party and I work with ABC drama a lot. I'm interested the perception of people that might vote for them at an election. The people I know that are old school nats and stuff are ABC people, I do not know what a potential PHON voter thinks of the service and would like to understand how attacking the ABC might erode support for PHON. I don't think it's going to be unpopular with disaffected, angry people in the (poor) areas that support Hanson.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ask people in bush fire prone areas if they support cutting funding to the emergency broadcaster and you get quite the response.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

Ask people in bush fire prone areas if they support cutting funding to the emergency broadcaster and you get quite the response.

They would probably provide something more nuanced than all or nothing destruction of the ABC. They might say keep the emergency system and can funding for lefty tv.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

They would probably provide something more nuanced than all or nothing destruction of the ABC. They might say keep the emergency system and can funding for lefty tv.

Lol at the LNP providing a nuanced solution

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You were talking about what an individual person might respond to a question about the value of the ABC.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Remember the meltdown when the Nats supported ABC cuts and the ABC responded by cutting regional programming?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
13 years old now so likely irrelevant, but I thought it was interesting that a Roy Morgan poll showed journalists overestimate how much the public perceives them to be too left wing. 75% of journalists thought the public thought the media was too left wing while only 45% of Australians thought they were too left wing and 46% thought they were too right wing.

http://www.roymorgan.com/~/media/files/papers/2004/20040903.pdf?la=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

There was an Essential poll from 2014 a while ago that took into account "other parties" and age breakdowns. Take "Other" with a grain of salt, since that included PUP at the time, but there's been a decent churn from PUP to PHON. Given PHON voters tend to be Other or Labor (this time around - at least in Queensland) and 50+, it'll give you an indication of who might approve or disapprove. I'll concede that men tend to support cuts more than women, but not by a considerable margin.

• Locked thread