Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KyloWinter posted:

Note: this advice is only for save scumming hex editors.

If you're playing ironman you probably aren't asking for advice.

Edit: I always aim my guides at people who aren't using cheats but are reloading. Ironman is great but it's for people who know what they're doing, and people reading guides don't yet. Only exception was DAD but it auto saved so there was no nonironman mode.

I mean I might still be giving horrible advice so if I'm wrong about something please tell me so but that's at least my goal audience

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Ironman Veteran is the way the game is meant to be played motherfuckers it is even a tool tip.

PS: eat poo poo hex editing scumlords

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

grrarg posted:

I bought this game on Friday and lost my whole weekend to it. The description of Mount & Blade x XCOM is right on.

I think I've screwed up my current campaign by pushing for the 12 bros ambition too early, right after getting a village to friendly. I'm at an economic standstill and/or death spiral due to the cost of tools and replacing bros while trying to grow.

What is the preferred ambition order? Friendly village then visit all towns then ??? I think I'll restart tonight with the same map seed.

If you can hold it in the standstill it'll upturn as your reputation goes up and contracts offer more, for not much more difficulty. Otherwise sack some bandit/orc camps and you usually leave with a treasure item, i'd lean orc since the weapons they drop are actually pretty valuable at a big city.

Ambition order is to taste. I would only recommend getting onto the bannerman ambition and unlocking noble contracts, since those reliably pay 1500+ crowns. Also be careful about caravan duty if it mentions something about an illicit nature of goods.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure this guy is literally immortal :black101:

My Undying Farmhand, although he only earned the name by virtue of his traits, gimmick build and being around forever:

I didn't even realize he was that high level but he's one of only two first week recruits that survived so far into the campaign (plus two starting bros) and it's day 156, so it makes sense I guess.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have better guys at level 8 and should probably replace him, but there's only one way out of this company and he's the least likely to travel down that road.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2017

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Anyone got a 3x iron lung seed tia

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dogsupremacy posted:

Anyone got a 3x iron lung seed tia
From Reddit:
6738c4 has Iron Lungs on both melee bros. Decent stats, too, although they both could have higher melee skill. Archer doesn't have it but is still very good.
Map looks good, too. A swamp settlement for cultist and mushroom needs, idiotic amounts of lumber camps and hunter's cabins, at least one citadel with furnace, smelter and connected surface iron vein. Not a lot of trading stuff but dyes near the starting location. I think I saw only two harbors but at least it's one north, one south.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've come to the conclusion squires might be the best soldiers in the game. Either that or Volker and Erik just rolled awesomely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Night10194 posted:

I've come to the conclusion squires might be the best soldiers in the game. Either that or Volker and Erik just rolled awesomely.

I've had a squire before who was...not bad, but definitely could have been better, so I'm inclined to think the latter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

marshmallow creep posted:

I've had a squire before who was...not bad, but definitely could have been better, so I'm inclined to think the latter.

Erik is physically fit, Fearless, had like a 60+ base combat skill, etc. Volker had 2 stars in Fatigue, Melee, and Melee Defense, which basically destines any character for greatness if they don't die.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Something I wasn't sure of and confirmed: a Converted cultist does not change their base stats, just the background. So a Wildman who converts to a cultist will lose his experience penalty! While also getting a new title ("the insane").

Question is whether a converted cultist is "just as good" for the cultist events as a natural one.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how do you beat goblins en masse

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

KyloWinter posted:

What size masse are you talking? Easiest thing to do is make sure you engage them at night, which effectively neutralizes their archers

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Spakstik posted:

What size masse are you talking? Easiest thing to do is make sure you engage them at night, which effectively neutralizes their archers

like 14

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
On my first privateering contract of the war I razed all three buildings they threw me at, plus a supply caravan, and was rewarded nicely for it all.

On the second privateering contract I was only given a single building to burn down. I did it and raided a supply caravan and 1~2 trade caravans.. and when I came back, they told me to gently caress off for not raiding enough! I guess I should have knocked out a patrol too...

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

14 should be manageable. Definitely try fighting at night. If that doesn't do the trick, bring more dogs.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

KyloWinter posted:

Spears and swords + shields are good weapons against them. Goblins don't have a lot of HP or armor so you don't need big huge weapons to fight them, and goblins can be tricky to hit so you want the hit chance bonus of swords and spears. Goblins also love using those puncture attacks with their swords to hit through armor, so I'm always terrified of losing my armored 2-handed guys to them. 2-handed guys are really vulnerable without a shield, both to goblin arrows and in melee against their puncture attacks. My sword + shield fighters tend to do best against them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Where are all the legendary bows god drat

BTW: Do I have to actually read tavern patron quotes or do they automatically reveal areas I am told about on the map?

Because I don't like reading

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 12, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

BTW: Do I have to actually read tavern patron quotes or do they automatically reveal areas I am told about on the map?

They don't automatically reveal, they'll just give you directions to them (west, northwest, etc) from the town.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You get to the point where you can just click and skim for keywords though. Usually a direction and a location.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, Squires seem to be really great for how soon you can afford them.
They may not be on the level of Hedge Knights or Sellswords, but you can get a Squire right out the gate and expect him to do well with any weapon. Which is nice at a point in the game when your other recruits are Farmhands and Lumberjacks that are still learning how to fight and need to use training wheel weapons like spears and pitchforks.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lunethex posted:

The tavern quotes have varying levels of information, but none of them reveal stuff. The good ones will tell you a direction, enemy type, and what kind of treasure is in the camp (if it just says treasure, that means it's poo poo you can sell for gold rather than equipment). As far as I can tell, reputation makes a huge difference in the quality of the tips you get—towns that I have at/near max reputation give a unique item tip every 2 or 3 visits, while other ones almost never do.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, Squires seem to be really great for how soon you can afford them.
They may not be on the level of Hedge Knights or Sellswords, but you can get a Squire right out the gate and expect him to do well with any weapon. Which is nice at a point in the game when your other recruits are Farmhands and Lumberjacks that are still learning how to fight and need to use training wheel weapons like spears and pitchforks.

And on the flip side, deserters are similarly priced and absolutely awful

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KyloWinter posted:

And on the flip side, deserters are similarly priced and absolutely awful

I've had a good deal of luck with deserters, but honestly Militia is basically my go to "base" recruit type. I always snatch them up when I see them and have had great luck with them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I know editing starting bros is apparently easy, but how hard would it be to take a lategame save, dump all brothers and replace them with a bunch of random guys, maybe give them decent stats if they suck, and more importantly give them enough experience to instantly level to 11?
I'd like to have a sandbox to test builds, basically.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I recently shook up my lineup and the game got a lot easier.

I used to have a frontline of six shields, and a backline of two archers and four polearm/twohanders and I would build all of them pretty much the same way - melee, defense, fatigue. Now I'm running four shields in front, and the back is one archer and 7 polearm/twohander guys.

This freed me up to specialize everyone's builds instead of making everyone a generic tank like before:

The shield guys serve exclusively to be meat shields, taunt enemies, exercise zone of control, etc. I'm not leveling their melee skill at all unless a roll is 4+ and I'm using spears on them. All of their levelups can be focused on defense, resolve, health and fatigue in that order since I don't need them getting flail headshots or whatever to have enough damage to kill things fast, and I have spare perk points to take things like Taunt or Backstabber.

The one archer plays just like a normal archer, but frankly I don't like archers in this game and I might just drop him. He's around for now because it's nice to have a reactionary turn to pick off Nachzehrers that are about to eat a corpse or near-death necrosavants or whatever else without having to move to do it, but on a grander scale I'm not so sure that outweighs the benefits that another twohander would provide in every other situation.

The seven back-line guys either have one-range weapons and stand behind the gaps in the front line, or they have two-range weapons and stand directly behind the shields. One-range weapons stack melee attack and melee defense and then whatever gets good rolls (initiative, life, ranged defense, resolve) and go for Reach Advantage and Dodge to be hybrid tank/dps, and the two-reach guys can basically be glass cannons with Crippling Strikes, Executioner, Overwhelm (since they're not usually getting attacked or moving which keeps their fatigue low and initiative high), etc. I determine whether someone is a two-range or one-range backline guy based on their melee defense.

The real meatgrinder of the build is the enemies that move into my front line and stand in the gaps between shield tanks, they're surrounded and take big hits to morale where applicable, and then I try to work Backstabber in to builds where possible to take further advantage of enemies being surrounded - a low-melee guy with Backstabber in this lineup will end up with enough accuracy to be relevant without investing every level in melee skill. This requires enemies be approaching me instead of vice versa but a group of 7 greataxes/greatswords will violently chew through any ranged enemies that I have to approach first (I highly value Pathfinder on everyone except the shields which helps with this). Worse comes to worst you only need four shieldbearers to advance a front line against incoming ranged fire with their shield raised.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 12, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

I know editing starting bros is apparently easy, but how hard would it be to take a lategame save, dump all brothers and replace them with a bunch of random guys, maybe give them decent stats if they suck, and more importantly give them enough experience to instantly level to 11?
I'd like to have a sandbox to test builds, basically.

Fairly easy. You could also just reset your existing dude's perks, though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wallet posted:

Do you have a method for cloning items in Hex, by any chance? That'd increase replayability for me a 100x over. I looked it over and I don't really see what I'm supposed to be looking for. I can find the value that says "dude is wearing 0 items" and "dude is wearing 1 item" but everything after is blonde, redhead, and brunette to me.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Do you have a method for cloning items in Hex, by any chance? That'd increase replayability for me a 100x over. I looked it over and I don't really see what I'm supposed to be looking for. I can find the value that says "dude is wearing 0 items" and "dude is wearing 1 item" but everything after is blonde, redhead, and brunette to me.

if you have a named item you can put it as the last item in the stash, then search for the string name to find it. The bunch of 00's before the item are each one stash slot, so you can overwrite each 00 with the item data to dupe it.

image has the armor second to last slot, so the 00 after the highlight is the last stash slot

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're playing ironman you probably aren't asking for advice.

Edit: I always aim my guides at people who aren't using cheats but are reloading. Ironman is great but it's for people who know what they're doing, and people reading guides don't yet. Only exception was DAD but it auto saved so there was no nonironman mode.

I mean I might still be giving horrible advice so if I'm wrong about something please tell me so but that's at least my goal audience

I am slowly reading the thread in between playing this last week and just wanted to say that I have played exclusively veteran ironman, expecting a few abortive attempts along the way, and the advice wrt. focusing on armor, trade basics, and builds has been invaluable for improving each run's odds.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

dogsupremacy posted:

Ironman Veteran is the way the game is meant to be played motherfuckers it is even a tool tip.

PS: eat poo poo hex editing scumlords

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Am I weird for running a really archer heavy lineup? I generally like going to five archers as soon as I can because they will utterly mulch anything besides undead once you get 5 guys with high 80's to 90's ranged skill and warbows.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Archers do own, without a doubt. I also run with 5 if I can help it, it's nice. Just switch picks or hammers (or pikes in some cases) if some guys get too close or undeads.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Take a character and take off all of his equipment. If you then search for their name, you'll find, between the word human and their background description, a bit where it says 40 02 (or 04, it's the number of bag slots they have) followed by 00 and then the sum of their perks, background, traits (as described in the guide). Once you know what that number is, you can put whatever you want to copy on the character and re-save—the data for their items will have replaced the 00 between 40 02 and whatever that number was. Once you've copied that item data, you can put whatever you want to copy in your inventory and then paste it back on them.

You can also edit items by looking at the same data. It turns out that all of the faction aligned shields/helmets/armor just have a value between 1 and 10 that dictates what version they are, so you can get whatever cool hat you want instead of just the ones associated with the houses that spawned in your game.

IE: The shields look like this: 01 01 7B 68 EE 33 00 02 00 00 40 42 00 00 80 3F 0A
The 0A at the end is which house icon it is (that happens to be the dragon), the 02 in the middle dictates whether the shield has a stripe/whatever or an icon on it (01 is the no-icon version). The helmets/armor/etc are similar.

The same sort of thing also applies to regular shield appearances, unique item graphics, etc.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 13, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, I just finished the undead crisis.

Is that it, really? No giant battle for the end? Last thing I did was just defend a town, even then its an exercise in letting the legionaries hit my lines, then swapping everyone to 2h swords and chopping the gently caress out of their backline.

Didn't lose a single town. Suppose i'll just keep going and acquiring more fancy armour until the next crisis runs around. Here's hoping for noble war!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dogstile posted:

So, I just finished the undead crisis.

Is that it, really? No giant battle for the end? Last thing I did was just defend a town, even then its an exercise in letting the legionaries hit my lines, then swapping everyone to 2h swords and chopping the gently caress out of their backline.

Didn't lose a single town. Suppose i'll just keep going and acquiring more fancy armour until the next crisis runs around. Here's hoping for noble war!

Arent you suppose to defeat a boss to end it? And get the saviour message thing?

You might have simply outlasted it rather than ending it, and someone else beat it back for you

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GlyphGryph posted:

Arent you suppose to defeat a boss to end it? And get the saviour message thing?

You might have simply outlasted it rather than ending it, and someone else beat it back for you

I have no idea, I got the ambition complete message, but I didn't have to kill any particular boss. I was just walking along after my last contract and "poof", gone. I mean I wasn't that bothered, I got to go hunt for some "Trusty Mail" item afterwards, rather than going off the fight more undead and forgetting about the location.

Oh, here's a tip.

If you know a unique item is at a location, DO NOT ACCEPT A CONTRACT TO CLEAR IT. I knew "forgotten massgrave" has a good piece of armour in it, but I accepted a contract to clear it. The tavern then stopped referring to the armour in the grave and when I cleared it, no unique. I only got the 3k for the contract.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There are no 'bosses' for any of the crises.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I finally completed the noble war, and I love the way it ends, no fanfare or heroics, just a bunch of spoiled nobles arguing in a tent after getting their entire peasantry killed by each other and your mercenaries. Also you get a shitton of equipment, no magic items but all the armor for my mainline and backup guys I could ever ask for. I think I made about 30k selling looted gear alone.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ambushed trade routes are beautiful early on.

gently caress this mercenary gig, I'm a man of hams now.

(This is a city that starts with a destroyed watchtower and is next to two salt-producing civilian settlements in addition to the peat- (and ham-) producing starting village. Which makes it a pretty great area to be in for the early game. The starting village is in a swamp, which should be nice for cultist and mushroom availability, but the map overall is not very swampy. Bowyers, hunters, farmers and lumberjacks available in the north. Four harbors, well spread out (one belonging to an otherwise completely isolated settlement in the south). One village in the north is a little hard to reach but still connected by road to a port town. Overall well connected settlements but also with a fair amount of wilderness. Seed is 1da2cc. e: Shield bro has Survivor and good defenses. Axe bro: Loyal, overall good stats. Archer bro is kinda poo poo.)

Wallet posted:

Good to hear. Ideally I'd want to have a roster with dudes that can be built any way, so with stat points unassigned. Also covering all backgrounds with special abilities besides stat changes - Killer, Juggler, Houndmaster, and I guess technically Brawler.
So I'll probably take my current save until the late game and then create a cheat save with tons of equipment, revealed enemy camps and a roster of 20 freshly recruited guys.

dylguy90 posted:

I finally completed the noble war, and I love the way it ends, no fanfare or heroics, just a bunch of spoiled nobles arguing in a tent after getting their entire peasantry killed by each other and your mercenaries. Also you get a shitton of equipment, no magic items but all the armor for my mainline and backup guys I could ever ask for. I think I made about 30k selling looted gear alone.
Yeah, although it was kinda weird to read about my avatar and one of the bros wondering who might have won.
Like, have you seen the map, you morons? The house you fought for went from one citadel to two citadels, two forts and one city. We killed hundreds for this.

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/65264v/background_stats_spreadsheet/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k_izGk9h9r3OMlOmnmiOwrmK7EmHu2eni08JpULf-os/edit#gid=604473640
Apparently not adjusted for traits (it lists the maximum HP for Brawlers as 80, which I assume comes from a fat and/or tough one), so I'd only trust the median values. Still a great resource.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I wonder - if you get the noble war crisis enough times, can you win? What happens if one house completely takes over the map?