Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Because the premise is solid (group of survivors navigate post-apocalyptic world) but the writing, acting, narrative, casting, filming, budget and source material are all quite bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I don't know why anyone thinks a change of setting would help this show when Fear the Walking Dead is even worse.

Well a cooler climate would keep Rick from drowning in his own sweat all the time

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
DC should be cold in the winter

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bigass Moth posted:

Because the premise is solid (group of survivors navigate post-apocalyptic world) but the writing, acting, narrative, casting, filming, budget and source material are all quite bad.

Well yeah if you change everything about the show it would be different. The awful writing and pacing are the issues, the setting and plot would not be a problem with a creative team that was actually good.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I want rick and pals to sail to Atlantis.

Or the Bermuda Triangle.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

When the show either outpaces the comic or it's time for show to be taken out to pasture, I hope they don't try to shoehorn in a reason/explanation or cure for the zombie problem.

God, I don't even want to imagine...
Episode 1: a mysterious stranger is seen lurking around Rick's group!
Episode 2: a deadly game of cat and mouse! But who's hunting whom?!
Episode 3: Daryl or someone gets injured/impossibly trapped by walkers during the search! It'll be Daryl.
Episode 4: They finally catch the man, who claims to be a scientist! He has all the information on the disk... only it's a 3.5" floppy!
Episode 5: The team debates trusting the man, particularly the data format. Everyone wonders where Daryl is to send him on a trip to find it. Morgan and Ezekiel go.
Episode 6: Bottle episode; we get to see Daryl wince and cry as he struggles to rejoin the group.
Episode 7: on a dangerous adventure, Morgan and Ezekiel have to venture into an underfunded inner-city school in search of a suitably old computer.
Episode 8: All storylines converge, and the new arrival seems nervous when the appropriate computer arrives. After setting it up, he hesitates, until Rick pulls his gun, threateningly. Right after he inserts the floppy, but before anything can be shown on the screen, Eugene appears. Shocked, he asks: 'Marcus?' *tense musical stinger*

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Barbed Tongues posted:

Do they actually whisper all the time in the comics? Cause that's hard to film.

Writer: "We'll just have them speak a weird trash language!"

Oh god, you're probably right.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Boy I wish people would keep openly talking about the comics in here.
Not that from what I gather, anything really happens after Negan

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fog Tripper posted:

Boy I wish people would keep openly talking about the comics in here.
Not that from what I gather, anything really happens after Negan

That's something I think they really should deviate from, as it shows Rick's testicles are absolutely missing now.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I kept thinking more interesting things would happen, like a shift in focus from the original group toward people on the front lines or on the exploration frontier as people from the original group died off or took on leadership roles that would realistically be boring most of the time. Kirkman said in the "letters to the editor" section that there would be more exploration of things like setting up a post-apocalypse judicial system. It looked like the feud between Rick and Maggie over hanging Gregory after he tried to poison Maggie or things like Rick embracing "SILENCE THE WHISPERS" propaganda tactics could lead to someone walking the villain path and a civil war. Instead the the Saviors are attacking again, which makes sense for them but is boring.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

galenanorth posted:

I kept thinking more interesting things would happen, like a shift in focus from the original group toward people on the front lines or on the exploration frontier as people from the original group died off or took on leadership roles that would realistically be boring most of the time. Kirkman said in the "letters to the editor" section that there would be more exploration of things like setting up a post-apocalypse judicial system. It looked like the feud between Rick and Maggie over hanging Gregory after he tried to poison Maggie or things like Rick embracing "SILENCE THE WHISPERS" propaganda tactics could lead to someone walking the villain path and a civil war. Instead the the Saviors are attacking again, which makes sense for them but is boring.

Just watch Z Nation

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Barreft posted:

Just watch Z Nation

Z Nation is somehow better than an AMC show despite being made by The Asylum.

Also it has a lot more cute dogs than The Walking Dead.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Has it been speculated what the gently caress Daryl said when he was storming Alexandria with Maggie?

Watched some clips to figure out if the latter half of the season is worth anything and from what I can see they finally gave Eugene something to do and it's all really good. The rest just looks like the usual garbage though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Eugene episode really was the best one.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still can't believe the trash crew mcpoyles are the only ones smart enough to use bicycles

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Space Crabs posted:

Well a cooler climate would keep Rick from drowning in his own sweat all the time
That's one thing this show's really missing- showing the challenges of survival during seasonal weather changes. Or the weird things that happen when the wilderness takes over human living areas unabated. Telltale's TWD game actually did a great job showing this- people getting cold, hungry, and trying to keep their sanity during the non-growing seasonal months. They kind of touched upon this back in the prison when that killer flu was going around. Not that I'm trying to insert realism into this series (LOL), but I'm pretty sure that starvation, sickness, and death from exposure would be bigger issues during societal collapse than a baseball-wielding guy who arches his back a lot.

But instead we just get entire seasons of weird, badly-written faction vs. faction drama, which has been done to death at this point.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They do at least start wearing fashionable jackets at the end of every season.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

melon cat posted:

That's one thing this show's really missing- showing the challenges of survival during seasonal weather changes. Or the weird things that happen when the wilderness takes over human living areas unabated. Telltale's TWD game actually did a great job showing this- people getting cold, hungry, and trying to keep their sanity during the non-growing seasonal months. They kind of touched upon this back in the prison when that killer flu was going around. Not that I'm trying to insert realism into this series (LOL), but I'm pretty sure that starvation, sickness, and death from exposure would be bigger issues during societal collapse than a baseball-wielding guy who arches his back a lot.

But instead we just get entire seasons of weird, badly-written faction vs. faction drama, which has been done to death at this point.

That's the thing - the appeal of the apocalypse genre basically boils down to exploring and back-to-basics problem solving. TWD doesn't really do either anymore. Surviving in the TWD universe entails growing a vegetable patch. Water supply is solved, somehow and power for heating and cooking is not an issue. Like they don't have to make an episode about chopping wood or whatever but seeing how you solve some of those problems is interesting. Wouldn't you try to build a DIY windmill? What about a watch tower? There's dead cannibal herds lumbering around so maybe seeing them ahead of time would be useful. It's something they could just do 5 min. per episode or just have going on in the background and it would make the universe a little fuller. The extent of their existence is growing cantaloupes, killing each other because of cantaloupes and being sad about all the killing.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Bates posted:

That's the thing - the appeal of the apocalypse genre basically boils down to exploring and back-to-basics problem solving. TWD doesn't really do either anymore. Surviving in the TWD universe entails growing a vegetable patch. Water supply is solved, somehow and power for heating and cooking is not an issue. Like they don't have to make an episode about chopping wood or whatever but seeing how you solve some of those problems is interesting. Wouldn't you try to build a DIY windmill? What about a watch tower? There's dead cannibal herds lumbering around so maybe seeing them ahead of time would be useful. It's something they could just do 5 min. per episode or just have going on in the background and it would make the universe a little fuller. The extent of their existence is growing cantaloupes, killing each other because of cantaloupes and being sad about all the killing.

The problem is at a certain point civilisation stops being a zombie apocalypse survival thing and starts being a Western (with zombies).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The problem is at a certain point civilisation stops being a zombie apocalypse survival thing and starts being a Western (with zombies).

That doesn't sound like a problem, unless you aren't willing to wholeheartedly make that shift.

Oh wait.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are children with roller skates a staple of Westerns...?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bates posted:

Hey they do have watch towers (that people routinely abandon).

Remember when the Kingdom were amazed that Carol killed a couple zombies outside their gates, and they offered no help and made no attempts to keep the immediate area around their base clear?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bigass Moth posted:

Hey they do have watch towers (that people routinely abandon).

Remember when the Kingdom were amazed that Carol killed a couple zombies outside their gates, and they offered no help and made no attempts to keep the immediate area around their base clear?

Maybe she was holding their very last sign post?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It seems to me that Alexandria (and I guess maybe the Saviours) are the only communities that DON'T have their poo poo together farming wise. Like, I literally have no idea what the non-main character Alexandrians do all day. Bake cookies and do laundry?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bucswabe posted:

It seems to me that Alexandria (and I guess maybe the Saviours) are the only communities that DON'T have their poo poo together farming wise. Like, I literally have no idea what the non-main character Alexandrians do all day. Bake cookies and do laundry?

The fact that plenty of properties around here have metal fences around fields, yet nobody in the zombie apocalypse can figure that out how to do the same boggles the mind. I guess the yield on a couple tire-bound tomato plants must be high enough. :shrug: Are there no Home Depots or Lowes in TWD universe?

edit: I guess they managed to do such at the prison but then fences (PRISON FENCES of all fences) suddenly became flimsy as hell, being able to be pushed over.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Fog Tripper posted:

The fact that plenty of properties around here have metal fences around fields, yet nobody in the zombie apocalypse can figure that out how to do the same boggles the mind. I guess the yield on a couple tire-bound tomato plants must be high enough. :shrug: Are there no Home Depots or Lowes in TWD universe?

edit: I guess they managed to do such at the prison but then fences (PRISON FENCES of all fences) suddenly became flimsy as hell, being able to be pushed over.

Just as the soviet union proves communism can't work, the prison proved concrete structures surrounded by fences are deadly places doomed to be assaulted by crazy assholes with tanks. I'm pretty sure that's the show's premise but I'm not sure I've been hatewatching for a few years now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Z-Nation is funner to watch than this grimace-themed show, but it actually sucks pretty hard and there's a million things better to watch. Hell there's at least two programs currently airing new episodes weekly on AMC that are leagues and leagues ahead of either.

Unless your primary show criteria is "zombies", in which case watch z-nation i guess

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Watch z nation after watching Ash Vs Evil dead in that case.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
z nation is not on amazon prime, so that rules out my viewing.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Letting Dwight go was stupid no?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Letting Dwight go was stupid no?

No. Daryl looked deep into his eyes. Daryl did that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, he's fine. Daryl gave him an ocular pat-down. He cleared him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

I still can't believe the trash crew mcpoyles are the only ones smart enough to use bicycles

If McPoyle ever leaves Westworld he should totally join the trash people cast, as McPoyle.

Suddenly they'd make a lot more sense. The trash people are the McPoyles after the apocalypse.

Bates posted:

That's the thing - the appeal of the apocalypse genre basically boils down to exploring and back-to-basics problem solving.

I legitimately think we need a Fallout TV show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

Has it been speculated what the gently caress Daryl said when he was storming Alexandria with Maggie?

"Phalanx Out!"

LadyPictureShow posted:

When the show either outpaces the comic or it's time for show to be taken out to pasture, I hope they don't try to shoehorn in a reason/explanation or cure for the zombie problem.

I have a feeling that's why they kept Judith alive. My personal pet theory is that children born in this world, with their parents being infected, will inherit immunity from the zombie plague.

Therefor they have an easy way to quick end the series with a flash forward to some statue of Rick and her talking about how he kept their world together, yadda yadda, she then goes and talks to Glenn/Maggie's now grown child, the end.

I don't know why anyone thinks a change of setting would help this show when Fear the Walking Dead is even worse.

You're not kidding. Fear is so bad it makes regular WD look like Breaking Bad.

Bigass Moth posted:

Also any time someone has an easy wide open chance of killing Negan they do not take it, except one time his magic wood bat stops a bullet fired at close range.

This was the #1 thing that made this season unwatchable to me.

Sure there were a lot of other problems but this.. this was just maddening. loving maddening. And they kept rubbing salt in the wound with plot after plot to kill Negan and I knew they'd all end the same way.

ED: Oh and seriously screw that bullshit line to try to justify this Dwight had of "Oh they're all Negan!" Sure they all SAY that but come the gently caress on, the only person we've seen that would continue Negan's legacy and might organize the place is Simon, and that is it. I have a feeling if the Kingdom run guy got put in charge he'd just sound annoyed and call for a truce to get back to legit trading, now 100% less picky about poo poo because he isn't afraid of a bat to the face.

Ego-bot posted:

I thought the negotiation between Negan and trash woman was for the number of Alexandrian slaves they got to keep. Maybe I misheard.

Hey now! She needed those slaves, who else is going to re-teach them English!?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh one more note about this.. Fear was far and away it's most interesting, and it's most competent, when they were just sailing around on a boat being assholes.

That really should have been the whole series. They got to visit places, get involved, then get right back on their boat and sail away (usually after absolutely loving everything up 100% because the Fear crew are psychopaths that I don't think AMC realizes are psychopaths). It was like a zombie Star Trek, with a boat.

The minute they lost the boat it crashed and burned all over again. Whoever said they did the farm plot if the farm plot was 2 episodes long and Shane burnt the whole thing down while Rick murdered Herschel wasn't really wrong.

ED: I love how the really dumb Sasha Coffin thing was probably done because the actual bag on the head trick was done on Fear, by the "good guys."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least the pycho kid got shotgunned in the face last season after helping a group of strangers kill their barely hurt member of the group so he could join this group.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As soon as I saw that boat, I was loving pumped for Fear to be about apocalypse pirates. I don't know why I thought they would do something good.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone was like "nah this will be cool they'll show the first days of the outbreak" *skips forward three weeks and all zombies have disappeared*

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My favorite pre-series poo poo-talking about Fear was someone saying "They finally listened to that producer that keeps asking 'Why can't we make the zombies sexy?'" with a picture of the young woman zombie from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

If McPoyle ever leaves Westworld he should totally join the trash people cast, as McPoyle.

There's a bizarro version of that teamup in the first season of Hap and Leonard (it's up on Netflix).

Jimmi Simpson plays a gun runner and Pollyanna McIntosh is his girlfriend/bodyguard. And they're loving ridiculous.

But the whole time I just kept thinking 'McPoyle and Trashlady!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 13, 2017