Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I uplifted primitives as fanatical purifiers. They became sapient, and then became food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What if hive mind pops were treated as their own faction? So you could keep the fragment of Hive Whatever happy and productive by ensuring that it is well-fed, has space/exclusive planets, and represented in leadership.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What do you get exactly if you conquer a species and turn them into food? Does it just increase your growth? Is it useful to engineer their DNA to be more tasty?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?

I think it would be a good opportunity to work on the relationship between borders and travel modes. Borders are supposed to represent the ability of your people to project power, and that's a function of travel. So I would use this as an opportunity to address that.

Borders for hyperlane empires would expand along the lanes, slowly growing across every travel path. Wormhole empires would stay as they are now, with perhaps more weight added to systems with generators. Warp empires would grow organically, as if they were hyperlane empires that had a link to every other system.

You could use this as an opportunity to rebalance the movements. Warp could be made more appealing by increasing their speed inside the borders and by eliminating the maximum range ships can warp.

You could also introduce a literal hyperspace bypass, which would be a station that draws borders to a particular system. They could only be placed in unclaimed systems (which means pre-FTL systems also have to be cleared), and would act as sinks to pull borders to systems you want. They wouldn't generate their own borders, just suck what's already there.

Create a new game mode where you start as a empire that gets FTL after the rest of the Galaxy has already started with some kind of starting event. One of the possible starting events could be your planet being demolished for a hyperspace bypass, and if you get the event chain wrong your planet is destroyed and your game ends.

You might also create an anomaly that gives your scientist an Infinite Improbability Drive. He can teleport to any system in the Galaxy, but has a high chance of random encounters with every jump.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Two things from my current robot game:

I saw it mentioned earlier, but Curator scientists do in fact get turned into Synths if possible. This trio is pretty good at what they do.

Fire rate may be overpowered:

The unbidden spawned in the middle of my terrority about 15 years ago now, while my 2 fleets were roughly 59k each. They spawned in 4 77k fleets in about 20 in game days, but I saw a chance to catch one in the starting system alone since the others jumped out. I move in, and it turns out another spawned right then.

...But it didn't matter at all, because that volume of kinetic artillery killed about 145k of Unbidden with maybe 3 battleships lost. The other 3 ported back in and mostly just died, but I took about 10 or so losses. I was able to kill the unbidden starting portal + 153 unbidden vessels with total losses of about 33 battleships and 1 mining station.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 12, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, gonna play a Xenophobe race and enslave all the xenos. Does slave happiness matter at all? If my race is Repugnant, will that reduce the effectiveness of alien slaves?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I don't think happiness affects their productivity, but it does generate unrest. Stock up on armies.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thoughts on traits?

I think I might undervaluing Conformist -- Governing Ethics seems to matter a ton for happiness because of how factions serve as the baseline for happiness. I played a game with Divergent and was surprised at how much it made happiness an issue.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?
He was also a big honkin' environmentalist, and produced the original Last Chance to See (the 2009 sequel with Stephen Fry is where :parrot: comes from) along with doing a ton of lectures and writing and climbing mountains and such. Something with xeno flora and fauna and such might play into that. A galactic Columbian exchange?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anticheese posted:

What if hive mind pops were treated as their own faction? So you could keep the fragment of Hive Whatever happy and productive by ensuring that it is well-fed, has space/exclusive planets, and represented in leadership.

It looks like it wouldn't be that hard to mod. Looking at species_rights.txt most rights are locked off with the line "is_lonely_hive_mind_pop = no" as a condition for allowing you to set species rights as that certain species. It would likely be very easy to just switch this off, then go ahead and define a new faction for hive minded pops in non-hive mind empires, the condition "is_lonely_hive_mind_pop" (though set to "= yes") could probably work here as well and then set attraction to this faction for hive minded POPs sufficiently high that they will all pretty much immediately join this faction.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Preechr posted:

I uplifted primitives as fanatical purifiers. They became sapient, and then became food.

Meat tastes better when it can experience existential horror.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The best part is, an event fired after I started eating them where I encouraged them to see my species as their gods.

Is that whole thing about genemodding species to be delicious a joke? I don't remember.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What does eating pops even do for you?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Preechr posted:

The best part is, an event fired after I started eating them where I encouraged them to see my species as their gods.

This game has the potential to rival CK2 for hosed up random/procedurally generated bullshit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can not believe that the enegmatic fortress still eats science ships set on auto-explore. How is it possible the AI for exploring still hasn't been set to avoid it, that has been a problem since auto explore was introduced.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Night10194 posted:

it gives you food!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I suddenly have a xenophobe faction forming because of "foreign enslavement of species". Is there any way to find out who/where those hummans are?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Baronjutter posted:

So I suddenly have a xenophobe faction forming because of "foreign enslavement of species". Is there any way to find out who/where those hummans are?

Honestly if you're Humans it could be anything because races are tied to portrait + name, so with humans it could pretty much be anywhere/anything.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Welp I tried to fight the Unbidden and failed.

The entire galaxy suddenly all said "oh gently caress" and joined the Federation that my arch-rival set up. The Materialist FE at my doorstep awoke and started flying all over the place and for a bit I thought we might pull it off.

And then the systems started falling. One by one my former enemies all died to the Unbidden. I thought they might leave me be, but I was wrong. So rather than dying on my knees I took off with literally the entire rest of the galaxy to try and stop the Unbidden. Honestly there was something a little :3: about everyone joining together to try and fight back. I managed to snipe one of their anchors but my fleet died in the ensuing battle with an Unbidden fleet.

And it was all for naught as the AI seemed to have no idea how to actually beat back the Unbidden. So I watched as my once proud empire was slowly dismantled. We could've held out on the worlds full of slaves we conquered but it seemed too distasteful.

Oh well.

Anyone know when the achievements will be fixed? I want to re-load the game to get the ones I think I picked up during the playthrough.

edit: Anyone have any tips on fighting the Unbidden/Preython/AI in future games? Prior to this I only ever encountered the Preyton in 1.1 and the AI managed to kill the queen.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 12, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly if you're Humans it could be anything because races are tied to portrait + name, so with humans it could pretty much be anywhere/anything.

Yeah it's pretty much certain it's not me because I have no migration treaties nor have I lost any planets to war. The commonwealth of man on the other side of the galaxy on the other hand isn't doing so well.

Stuff like this is such an amazing potential hook for politics. Humans are enslaved, I'm egalitarian and have growing xenophobe faction due to this. I should get some sort of "mission" to free them, to get something like a CB against the empire that holds human slaves. Or at least tell me who/where so I can declare war in the name of "stop atrocities"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Night10194 posted:

It gives you an enormous amount of food.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mazz posted:

Two things from my current robot game:

I saw it mentioned earlier, but Curator scientists do in fact get turned into Synths if possible. This trio is pretty good at what they do.

Fire rate may be overpowered:

The unbidden spawned in the middle of my terrority about 15 years ago now, while my 2 fleets were roughly 59k each. They spawned in 4 77k fleets in about 20 in game days, but I saw a chance to catch one in the starting system alone since the others jumped out. I move in, and it turns out another spawned right then.

...But it didn't matter at all, because that volume of kinetic artillery killed about 145k of Unbidden with maybe 3 battleships lost. The other 3 ported back in and mostly just died, but I took about 10 or so losses. I was able to kill the unbidden starting portal + 153 unbidden vessels with total losses of about 33 battleships and 1 mining station.

Kinetics just gently caress up the unbidden like nothing else. I also had 2 40k'ish fleets both going 15/20/25/30 in ship usage using kinetic artillery and giga cannons and they took out 4 70k'ish fleets before i had to pull them back and repair, and that was without any rate of fire upgrades or synth leaders.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Oh this is bullshit I can't upgrade the science ship you get when your scientists get sucked into a dimensional portal anymore. Worst patch ever 6/10.

Also had a pretty great start on an earlier game.

All those green planets are Alpine worlds, or perfect worlds for my species. There was also a Gaia world just to the left of them I hadn't found in that screenshot. Pretty solid base to expand from I thi-

poo poo.

Do the militant isolationists always get pissy at you for building out so far from them? First time I've ever started next to them.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
When I'm genetically engineering a species to be the perfect delicacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7racSSk7w0

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

What happens when you're the League of Non-Aligned Planets and both AE's want a white peace with you?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is there a mechanical reason to pick any particular planet type, or is it just for flavour?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Is there a mechanical reason to pick any particular planet type, or is it just for flavour?

Flavor, basically. There's a roughly equal amount of every planet type in any given galaxy, from what I've seen. It will effect which planets you can colonize, obviously, but there are many ways around that restriction.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Krazyface posted:

nope. choose which ever you want.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Bought and downloaded the DLC and am immediately frustrated.

For some reason I can't buy traits when designing a custom species. The game will only accept a completely blank slate of traits, if I add anything at all it refuses to save my species.

I can input everything else but I am forced to leave traits blank or I can't play my custom species.

Am I missing something obvious or is there a known bug in the designer?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Although do we know the planet spawn rates have been equalized now? Previously they were not equal.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I wanted to try something different from just 'Conquer everything and blob outward' that I did with my last Stellaris games and I wondered about ethic combinations. Is Xenophobe+Pacifist a terrible idea? It seems interesting but I would wonder that it'd cut off your ability to expand AND make all aliens hate you? I heard that megastructures come quite late anyway so is such a playstyle just a bad idea?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Anybody ever come across the bunch called the Awoken? Their leader is a droid, not a synth a droid. I can't see them on the map but they're on the contacts list and have agreements and poo poo with people.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

SkySteak posted:

I wanted to try something different from just 'Conquer everything and blob outward' that I did with my last Stellaris games and I wondered about ethic combinations. Is Xenophobe+Pacifist a terrible idea? It seems interesting but I would wonder that it'd cut off your ability to expand AND make all aliens hate you? I heard that megastructures come quite late anyway so is such a playstyle just a bad idea?
It isn't a bad idea at all. In fact, it enables a very powerful civic, Inwards Perfection. Combine it with Agrarian Idyll, and you have a very common, high unity setup.

Korgan posted:

Do the militant isolationists always get pissy at you for building out so far from them? First time I've ever started next to them.
Yeah, they are pretty much fuckers about it. Had it happen in a multiplayer game of mine too. Both of us had to steer far away from the empire, as they would demand the dismantling of anything within a good distance of them. Kind of a pain in the rear end.

Pellisworth posted:

For some reason I can't buy traits when designing a custom species. The game will only accept a completely blank slate of traits, if I add anything at all it refuses to save my species.
Are you making sure your trait points end at 0 or higher? You can't save if you have a negative point total.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Are you making sure your trait points end at 0 or higher? You can't save if you have a negative point total.

Yes, I've fiddled with it a bunch but I cannot take any traits and save

e: are some traits and other choices incompatible and it doesn't show on the interface?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 12, 2017

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Krazyface posted:

Don't Continental and Tropical have a chance to be Lush (+10% habitability, +20% food), and other types not have that option?

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Celestial_body#Celestial_body_modifiers

Tropical also is immune to getting Bleak (-5% habitability, -10% food) so theoretically it's the optimal minmax choice (chance for Lush, never Bleak)?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
If I play a game as a Random Empire and decide that I really like it and want to keep it, is there an easy way to save it? Or do I have to do it manually and commit the empire's elements to memory?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Something seems off here.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
It's their peculiar custom!

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
Having The Unbidden respond to your ruler being the Chosen One was a nice touch. The Cybrex event chain failing in the same game after this many patches, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I wish your ethics and civics would give you a handful of possible government types you choose from, having a single point of Militarist turning all my governments into military dictatorships is annoying.

• Locked thread