Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
swift strike on everything. I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!

question, can you summon mara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

spit on my clit posted:

question, can you summon mara

Yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Buffs (spells that end in -kaja) and debuffs (-nda) are your best friends in boss fights. The first time I played a Persona game (jesus christ that was nine years ago), I made the mistake of thinking those spells would be useless like they always are in JRPGs, but that is most definitely not the case here.

I don't think consecutive casts stack in P5 like in the last two games, though, so they're now merely broken instead of the skeleton key to all your heart's desires.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Marakukaja and Masukukaja got me through a late boss almost on their own.

That and doing insane damage off Matarukaja'd Severe Physical attacks on my Siegfried.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I rented the only DVDs I've rented so far back in June and it's almost August and I completely forgot to return them. Guess I'm never going back!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Colorspray posted:

Just bought it and have like...2 hours left on the download.

I've never played Persona before, is there any advice a starting player would be glad to have?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for.

fuse as much as possible

confuse midbosses and just have them toss money at you for fifty turns

follow the social stat guide in the second post of this thread

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Oxxidation posted:

I don't think consecutive casts stack in P5 like in the last two games, though, so they're now merely broken instead of the skeleton key to all your heart's desires.

Fairly certain they didn't stack in Persona 3 and 4, actually. They only increased the duration by a further 3 turns, which might have been something only added in Golden even, I can't quite remember. Regardless, buffs and debuffs are very, very useful in this series yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were way worse in vanilla P4 because you had to wait for them to wear off before you could renew them. I think the only games where they stack are more mainline SMT.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have a new reason to hate Mishima. Can someone tell me if this is a salvageable situation?

I have all the confidants pretty much maxed out as I was loosely following that spoiler free guide. Only one left really is his and it's sitting at 9. Every time I try to talk to him dude just whines about how the site is up in flames and doesn't actually wanna hang out for that Rank: MAX.

I assume after this palace I'll be railroaded into a ending but uh, not sure how to get this final Max or if I'm just screwed :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr E posted:

I rented the only DVDs I've rented so far back in June and it's almost August and I completely forgot to return them. Guess I'm never going back!

You get a mulligan for your first late fee.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I started a relationship and I cracked up at the "there's no turning back now..." message

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Morgana keeps talking about video games? Is that something I can actually get and what does it do

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

You get a mulligan for your first late fee.

So obviously the trick is to rent everything at once then don't worry about the late fee since it is waived the first time.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Morgana keeps talking about video games? Is that something I can actually get and what does it do

second hand store should have a console and tv you can buy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Recycle shop. Raises stats.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For me being bad at Persona games but still enjoying them (I still never beat one, just watched the LPs after getting like halfway or 75% through 3 and 4) my dungeon trips so far attempting to beat them in one day have been:

Palace 1: this is a horrible hellscape, gently caress you Archangels, fuuuuuck getting chain-charmed, gave up on day one at the second-last safe room. The boss was easier than some of the encounters.

Palace 2: A gentle romp with minor difficulties since you need to stop halfway through anyway.

Palace 3: One SP3 adhesive on Joker. A long one but survivable with most other party members at low SP by the end and Queen needing to drink a coffee or two.

Palace 3: One SP3 adhesive on Joker, Neko Shogun with Invigorate as active Persona, one SP3 adhesive on either Fox or Queen as necessary - I think I was several levels overlevelled for this one because individual fights posed problems but healing to full after every one was trival and everyone was between 75% and 90% SP by the end.
Hit weakness - Baton Pass to Skull - Swift Strike, end fight, whenever I could be bothered spending the SP. Against Anubis groups, Fox got the Baton Pass instead to High Riser it.

Almost just as important as the SP3 accessories is the Nigi Mitama with Media and Divine Grace that I shoved into Isis, it meant 12SP was basically a full heal after each fight if needed.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's a second-hand store outside Cafe Leblanc that sells a game console around summertime, you can buy retro games for it that raises your stats when you beat them. Also there's an achievement for beating all of them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

TheFireMagi posted:

Regardless, buffs and debuffs are very, very useful in this series yeah.
The enemies know that too, so it's usually a good idea to fuse something that has Dekaja and/or Dekunda (which nullify buffs and debuffs respectively). I actually managed to fuse the persona for one of the levels of the Strength confidant before I even got the request, because I was putting Dekaja on everything at that point.

By the time I actually needed those skills in late game, it turned out I didn't have anything that knew them. :downs: Thankfully you can get items that do the same thing, and some of your teammates learn the skills as well.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bewilderment posted:

Palace 4: One SP3 adhesive on Joker, Neko Shogun with Invigorate as active Persona, one SP3 adhesive on either Fox or Queen as necessary - I think I was several levels overlevelled for this one because individual fights posed problems but healing to full after every one was trival and everyone was between 75% and 90% SP by the end.
Hit weakness - Baton Pass to Skull - Swift Strike, end fight, whenever I could be bothered spending the SP. Against Anubis groups, Fox got the Baton Pass instead to High Riser it.

Almost just as important as the SP3 accessories is the Nigi Mitama with Media and Divine Grace that I shoved into Isis, it meant 12SP was basically a full heal after each fight if needed.

what i did was just spam only physical moves the entire time, using morgana and ana in the reserves for healing after battle.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The violent video game slink increases your kindness???

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lakbay posted:

The violent video game slink increases your kindness???

Violent video games don't actually warp kids, who would have thought

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The third palace seems oddly designed with its two save rooms within 20 seconds of each other.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you get into the fitting room in Palace 7?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

How do you get into the fitting room in Palace 7?

There's a vent behind the staircase.

slev posted:

The third palace seems oddly designed with its two save rooms within 20 seconds of each other.

I still don't get why they don't let you use the first one before fighting the mini-boss. It's right there! I can see it! Just let me save!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFireMagi posted:

I still don't get why they don't let you use the first one before fighting the mini-boss. It's right there! I can see it! Just let me save!

*in extremely Morgana voice* Let's not do that now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It does feel a bit too hand-holdy when you get to a place and there are two side hallways with chests and the obvious plot progression spot down the middle, and if you try to go down the side hallway Morgana or someone else says "Don't go there, go here!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Save room placement is a bit weird in general. In some palaces you have two of them really close to each other in areas that barely have any enemies, but then there are pretty tough sections where you don't see a save point for half an hour (or a full hour in Mementos Depths). I suppose you can backtrack if you really need to save, but since the enemies respawn pretty regularly on area transitions that's not a great option either.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Palace 7 question

Trying to get into the restaurant but need a members card. Am I supposed to be looking for a vent or something? It's the first place I went to and I'm not seeing one and all the NPC's aren't saying much either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It does feel a bit too hand-holdy when you get to a place and there are two side hallways with chests and the obvious plot progression spot down the middle, and if you try to go down the side hallway Morgana or someone else says "Don't go there, go here!"

to be fair in cases where there's a plot lock where you have to go out of the palace it's that way so you don't go into the saferoom, save and leave, and then come back only to get immediately booted back out for the day when you go to the plot area

sometimes its just weird tho

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Palace 7 question

Trying to get into the restaurant but need a members card. Am I supposed to be looking for a vent or something? It's the first place I went to and I'm not seeing one and all the NPC's aren't saying much either.

Talk to NPCs in the area, one of them will mention dropping the item in question.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OddObserver posted:

Talk to NPCs in the area, one of them will mention dropping the item in question.

Of course.

I didn't notice one new one had spawned in so was getting confused.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A couple days ago in August Mishima gave me a request that I don't remember but suggested working somewhere - where am I supposed to work? I forget.

Also I think there was a separate request for Temperance that required working in a bar? I forget how I unlock that.

I've worked at the Convenience store twice a long-rear end time ago and done the Beef Bowl two or three times for Sun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bewilderment posted:

A couple days ago in August Mishima gave me a request that I don't remember but suggested working somewhere - where am I supposed to work? I forget.

Also I think there was a separate request for Temperance that required working in a bar? I forget how I unlock that.

I've worked at the Convenience store twice a long-rear end time ago and done the Beef Bowl two or three times for Sun.

Go to crossroads in Shinjuku at night and you can work there. Do it twice to ID that quest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Sojiro is such a good dad. I'm glad I finally broke that kindness lock and can hang out with him again.

Less glad I got charm to 5 just in time for a week with no afternoons and no chance to hang with Makoto, but I think i'll manage.

bewilderment posted:

Crossroads in Shinjuku, the place where Ohya is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

bewilderment posted:

Does it not specify what you have to do in your Requests menu?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know I was just gonna complain about the dungeon formula feeling a bit samey but then I did Futaba's

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does it just take forever to rank up Sojiro's confidant stuff?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yes. you get bond exp with him for making coffee, so just do that since you also get an SP restorative item.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Takes longer than usual yeah, even if you spend time making coffee with him. But after Dungeon 4 you start getting way more points with him per rank and it starts progressing much faster.

Even before that you should hang out with him though because he's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

62 hours.

beat 5th boss.

Blrglp... too much video game.

dying.

waifus

You'll never see it coming....