Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

razorscooter posted:

Can it do OBDI? I have to be able to read those too.

OBDI is a clusterfuck where every manufacture has their own standard or two or three. You'd need a vehicle-specific code reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For simple OBD2 code reading I personally prefer the simple HF code reader: http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html I think it goes on sale for $20 sometimes (or just use a 20% off coupon) Android and Torque is too much fuckery IMHO when you just need to read a simple code number, reset codes, etc.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I agree with everything about that, but left a dongle in each car so I can just connect the phone I'm carrying. It IS too much fuckery, but it's relatively simple to carry out if needed, and I value center console space over simplicity.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

This looks like another opportunity to recommend the god-like Kroil, by Kano. Best penetrating oil I have ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F09CEA?psc=1&smid=A26RBB5XP2LWJC

You can actually buy it for a rediculously reduced price direct from Kano labs:

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHiWq_mSMiFnABCvg9h16kOyQe7m0DBmR1j0LznbDQi0aAls-8P8HAQ

Kroil is god tier, the other thing to try if you have decent access to the threads or hole or whatever is torch+beeswax. Dunno where to buy a block of industrial poo poo grade beeswax tho.

I knew a guy one time who used like obscene amounts of refrigerant and acetylene getting stuff apart, but by god he could get anything apart.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I need to get some Kroil to try against Plusgas, which is my UK-market go-to.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shovelbum posted:

Dunno where to buy a block of industrial poo poo grade beeswax tho.

Any healthfood store. Don't know about "industrial grade", though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

razorscooter posted:

Can it do OBDI? I have to be able to read those too.

Every ODB1 code I've ever pulled involved jamming a paperclip between two holes, then counting flashing lights on the dash.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

OBDI is a clusterfuck where every manufacture has their own standard or two or three. You'd need a vehicle-specific code reader.

The old snap on brick is usually for sale on eBay for cheap and the cards it used for different cars are cheap too. They also come with all the odd dongles for different manufacture . because we all know the wheel can be made more round.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TotalLossBrain posted:

I also ordered from that adorable website that looks like it's never heard of encrypting customer data, such as the credit card information I just entered.
But that price was pretty good!

Gaming Heads stores your credit card data in plaintext, you can conveniently look it up at any time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Crap tools suck, quality tools own. Up until now I've been using some cheapo eBay adapter when I change my oil on the BMW. Got a good deal on the Hazet version, it's not even funny how much nicer it is:

Bought it from some dude in a private sale. He was super cool and we shot the poo poo about cars for about ten times as long as we spent on the transaction.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Don't bmws use canister filters?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sadi posted:

Not newer ones. Even my '03 530i was a cartridge that used that same tool.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
German made tools in general are drool-worthy. You can pry my Wiha screwdrivers from my cold dead hands.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sadi posted:

My 911 has a cartridge too put the tool looks just like that to spin off the canister.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

bolind posted:

Crap tools suck, quality tools own. Up until now I've been using some cheapo eBay adapter when I change my oil on the BMW. Got a good deal on the Hazet version, it's not even funny how much nicer it is:

Bought it from some dude in a private sale. He was super cool and we shot the poo poo about cars for about ten times as long as we spent on the transaction.

This just in. Quality tools are nice as gently caress. Goddamn snappy truck grabbed 150 bucks from me yesterday in return for a set of 3/8 wobble extensions. My God they are nice.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RillAkBea posted:

Went to the 100 yen store today to find they had automatic wire strippers for 200 yen (which is a thing) these things are amazing, where have they been all my crimping life?

They're just the cheapy stamped metal kind like these http://www.apogeekits.com/wire_strippers_2.htm but for 200 yen I'll just buy another pair when they break.

I just bought 3 of these. Cheers!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

This just in. Quality tools are nice as gently caress. Goddamn snappy truck grabbed 150 bucks from me yesterday in return for a set of 3/8 wobble extensions. My God they are nice.

Those snap on wobble extensions are the best wobble extensions ever. I have so many pieces left from the two sets I was gifted. But I don't have a full set between the two. Time to bend over in the truck again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Before I dump $$$ on GXL automotive wire, any recommendations where to buy it? I found a supplier on Amazon for ~$16 a spool, but I'm a bit doubtful of the quality.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: bolt poo poo from last page -

Success!

Week of soaking it in PB Blaster & daily applications of heat with a torch paid off. Picked up a bottle of MAPP substitute this afternoon and got the bolt glowing before going at it with a brand-new 18mm regular height impact socket and my DCF899. I'm surprised that bolt gave me as much trouble as it did, as it was the least corroded of the four.

I picked up replacements for these on Thursday from McMaster-Carr (I live about 30 minutes away from their warehouse), now I have two more frame bolts & the steering rack bolts to contend with before the subframe will drop out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

I have two more frame bolts & the steering rack bolts to contend with before the subframe will drop out.
:siren: Be very careful with steering rack bolts :siren:

They are often threaded into a nut held captive in a slot in the aluminium casting of the rack, and I have had them both rotate uselessly in the "captive" section and once snap the aluminium "foot" off the rack casting entirely. If they seem like they'll cooperate and spin right out, happy days, but if they appear to be somewhat recalcitrant, perhaps take a step back and evaluate.

My preference when they're being "difficult" is to disconnect the track rod ends from the arms and the steering column from the spline and drop the rack with the subframe, even if only a little bit (it depends how much movement the power steering hoses allow for) so I can see if the bolts are corroded and get in to wire brush them and soak with penetrant.

Also, I haven't had a proper poke at my spare parts Focus, but I've previously encountered Ford making it a motherfucker of a job to do anti-roll bar mount bushes with the subframe on the car, so consider renewign them while it's off if that's true of the Focus also.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Before I dump $$$ on GXL automotive wire, any recommendations where to buy it? I found a supplier on Amazon for ~$16 a spool, but I'm a bit doubtful of the quality.

Waytek wire? Or an industrial supplier. I used AWC (allied wire and cable) when I needed to stock my business initially, but they're annoying as gently caress.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If anybody needs snap ring pliers, skip everything else and get the Channelocks. I messed around with the crappy HF ones for an hour trying to get the internal ring off a turbo compressor housing, and gave up and ordered these from Amazon. Free next day delivery, and popped the ring off the first try with the 10". The 10" ones were stuck on external, but a little light oil and some work freed them up, and now they're fantastic!

I grabbed these at the same time, because they were only $30 and the tips on my #2 Craftsman acetate handles were getting a little worse for wear. They're lighter than I expected for some reason, but the grips are excellent, and they do the job. I'm not sure how effective the Lasertip is, but I haven't felt like I was going to strip a screw yet, even into a 2x4 with some wood screws.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anyone have experience with the OTC Hub Grappler (or hub tamer) for home hub/bearing replacement? It's expensive as hell, but I also spend too much time and money pulling the entire knuckle off a car and paying someone else beer money (or more) to press it out and put the new one in.

e: Obviously the other option is to just buy the HF 20 ton press and one of the dirt cheap "bearing adapter" kits. I'm really attracted to being able to replace wheelbearings without pulling the knuckle off.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 10, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PitViper posted:

I grabbed these at the same time, because they were only $30 and the tips on my #2 Craftsman acetate handles were getting a little worse for wear. They're lighter than I expected for some reason, but the grips are excellent, and they do the job. I'm not sure how effective the Lasertip is, but I haven't felt like I was going to strip a screw yet, even into a 2x4 with some wood screws.

I have a set of the electrical Wera screwdrivers with laser tips. They make a noticeable difference for me particularly with Phillips screws. I don't have to push on the screwdriver to get grip - it just feels secure and very not-slippery. Odd way to describe it, but they have quickly become my favorite screwdrivers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
+1 for Wera screwdriver love, I wish I had to use them more they are so comfortable.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Anyone have experience with the OTC Hub Grappler (or hub tamer) for home hub/bearing replacement? It's expensive as hell, but I also spend too much time and money pulling the entire knuckle off a car and paying someone else beer money (or more) to press it out and put the new one in.

e: Obviously the other option is to just buy the HF 20 ton press and one of the dirt cheap "bearing adapter" kits. I'm really attracted to being able to replace wheelbearings without pulling the knuckle off.

They work, but they are extremely fiddly. you have to juggle a crap load of adapters and poo poo onto the knuckle, get it all lined and tight. I recommend a slide hammer to pull the flange, then a press to remove/reinstall. It'll be cheaper, easier, and you can use it for other stuff too. down side being you have to drop the ~$75 for an alignment afterwards.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Hypnolobster posted:

South Main Auto on Youtube uses one for bearing changes with some additional parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-jMUkK9TSQ

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wera screwdrivers for life. They're not even that expensive if you get a set on sale.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm still loving the hell out of the spring-loaded multi-bit Wera screwdriver that Motronic got me for AISS2016. Such a nice piece of kit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm still loving the hell out of the spring-loaded multi-bit Wera screwdriver that Motronic got me for AISS2016. Such a nice piece of kit.

Woot, glad you like it. I should have got one for myself too :)

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Are pressure washers considered tools? How come every spring when j get my gas powered pressure washer out I have to tear the loving threaded stem with the spring and poo poo around it out, pour the I'd what it is full of CLR, and sacrifice a goat to get this thing to chooch?

When I pull the threaded stem springamathing out it doesn't even look like there's anything going on in there, but pulling it out and pitting it back in usually makes it chooch again.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've managed to adjust the mixture on my yard tool carbs with a wire splice jammed onto a stick for a few summers, but now I'd like to skip that annoyance and buy a real set of pacman drivers.

How likely am I to be good with a cheap 4-piece set like this? https://www.amazon.com/Fuerdi-Carbu...s=pacman+driver

All of the 4pc sets seem to have the same 4 profiles, but then there are 8 and 10pc sets with even more wacky shapes and sizes. Everything I own now is either the classic pacman or D-shape, but I'd like this to be a "buy it once" thing to cover whatever I might encounter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bought a similarly cheap set and haven't had a problem with it yet. I keep it out in the shed with the equipment so it's all rusty as gently caress but it still works.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

In my opinion, these are similar to gun screwdrivers - if everything is fine, the cheap ones might work. If anything is wrong, they'll make things way worse.

I'd spend the money for a good set. Unfortunately, the only information I could offer beyond that is that the people who I know who use carb tools use Snap-On, and those are pretty definitely not cheap. I'd at least take a gander at the major brands (MAC, Matco, Snap-on, maybe craftsman?) and see if you can find a used set, perhaps.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm not too worried about quality. I mean, I've gotten by with a bit of plastic jammed into place for a long time.

I was mostly concerned about hitting all of the popular shapes, without really knowing who uses what.

I'll just spring for the big set. Seems like if I ever need one of the oddballs it would cost more individually than just spending the bucks now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

eddiewalker posted:

I'm not too worried about quality. I mean, I've gotten by with a bit of plastic jammed into place for a long time.

I was mostly concerned about hitting all of the popular shapes, without really knowing who uses what.

I'll just spring for the big set. Seems like if I ever need one of the oddballs it would cost more individually than just spending the bucks now.

Yeah, that's kind of my mantra in life. Ten bucks vs twenty or whatever the big boy set is. Better to have it than not to when you need it. Now granted, I might need to torque some head bolts to yield on some future project but I won't buy a Snap-On for $400 just to lay in the box thinking I'll use it someday.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I spent many years doing the "buy the cheap one and return it and get another when it breaks" thing. It's certainly a valid way to get through life.

It's just less fun.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Krakkles posted:

I spent many years doing the "buy the cheap one and return it and get another when it breaks" thing. It's certainly a valid way to get through life.

It's just less fun.

As I am slowly getting older I am collecting a small, but growing number of 'nice' tools. Stuff like a couple of sets of Wera screwdrivers, for example. It's nice and while I wish I could have done this sooner, I doubt that past me was ready for 'nice' tools that would be kept nice.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Speaking of cheap tools, this weekend for easter Harbor Freight has a 25% off coupon on a single item. Go into the stores this week and you can pick one up. There are restrictions like no jacks, compressors, etc. but nice deal if you're planning a bigger tool purchase.

I'm thinking of grabbing their passthrough socket set: http://www.harborfreight.com/21-pc-sae-metric-go-thru-socket-set-62327.html It's the kind of thing that is probably a lifesaver in some rare circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a similar set (two in fact) and it does save your rear end in a pinch, but it also doubles as a very nice low profile ratchet-and-socket setup.