Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah well I owned the Powerman 5000 album.
We all have our shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ryonguy posted:

My playlist of shame:

You're never going to get me to admit any shame in owning a soundtrack with that U2 and Seal song :colbert:

AND it has Massive Attack on it? loving no shame in that game, yo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

The copy I had did not credit anyone for Dead Souls. So I honestly thought it was a NIN song.

Oh hey, that's a friend of mines podcast! Sadly I don't listen because while I like goth/industrial music, I'm not really interested in in depth discussions about it. Alex Kennedy had massive influence on my musical taste though.

Yeah, it's a cover of an old Joy Division song.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It always annoyed me that Time Baby iii sounded so much better live in the film.

The 2nd movie had Deftones playing Teething which was awesome.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The 90est of superheroes got the 90est of soundtracks

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inzombiac posted:

We all have our shame.

Is owning Ten Summoner's Tales by Sting shameful?

I loved that album. :saddowns:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

We all have our shame.

I had the Static-X album :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

whiteyfats posted:

Yeah, it's a cover of an old Joy Division song.

I can't shake the feeling that Reznor was trying to steal credit for the song. Seems like something he'd do.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Iron Crowned posted:

Wisconsin Death Trip isn't exactly godawful by Nineties standards.

I actully paid money for a 311 album, I win. :shepspends:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Iron Crowned posted:

The video for that song they had was on the Mac OS 8 install CDs for some reason.

Which was neat in a "look at this video playing on my computer!" way at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I can't shake the feeling that Reznor was trying to steal credit for the song. Seems like something he'd do.

NIN's cover, while not terrible, is noticeably inferior to Joy Division. Should have just used the original.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

ryonguy posted:

My playlist of shame:

That is extremely eclectic. Sunny Day Real Estate??? I didn't know they were that popular then. I thought they were always underground.

And speaking of 90s emo, this album is very 90s to me. It reminds me of all the suburban teen angst from shows like 7th Heaven and Pete and Pete.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
This album rarely left my trunk mounted 6 CD Changer in High School.

In Case you can't read the album, the tracklist:

1. "Camel Song" Korn 4:21
2. "So Long" Everlast 5:00
3. "Slow" Professional Murder Music 3:58
4. "Crushed" Limp Bizkit 3:24
5. "Oh My God" Guns N' Roses 3:40
6. "Poison" The Prodigy 6:15
7. "Superbeast" (Girl On a Motorcycle Mix) Rob Zombie 3:51
8. "Bad Influence" Eminem 3:40
9. "Nobody's Real" (Punk Rock & Electronic) Powerman 5000 2:54
10. "I Wish I Had" Stroke 6:34
11. "Sugar Kane" Sonic Youth 5:58
12. "Wrong Way" Creed 4:19

It was that, Godsmack, Green Day's Nimrod, Big Shiny Tunes 2 and probably the greatest album of our generation, MuchDance '97

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Crow: City of Angels, while a lovely movie, had a pretty decent soundtrack.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
^^^
Jurassitol is one of the better Filter songs.

whiteyfats posted:

NIN's cover, while not terrible, is noticeably inferior to Joy Division. Should have just used the original.
I love Joy Division, but I prefer the NIN version. The original has a faster tempo, and I think the song is better slowed down a bit. It's a fairly straight forward cover though, unlike some other NIN covers.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I had 311's self titled album, marcy playground, and Metallica's load on cassette tape, there's some 90's shame. My younger brother had Hanson on tape.

I even re-bought Marcy playground on CD when I first got my discman, along with Metallica's reload.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You guys speak of these albums in the past sense, I got 311 and Static-X in my Rhapsody right now.

Bring the shame

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I did recently put Limp Bizkit's Significant Other on a playlist. It was a very large playlist for a 12 hour road trip that had 2000+ songs and I was running out of ideas, but that album is a guilty pleasure of mine.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of 90s music:

The soundtrack for the film Rush. I never owned it, but it was something that in the 90s there was a window of time where towards the end of the decade I would see copy after copy on the shelves of used CD stores and pawn shops, and continued to do so for years.

Also, pretty popular compilation CDs with some sort of social message to them seemed to be more visible in the 90s than in the decades before or since. "Rock the Vote"-themed voting awareness things, 'do something meaningful' things, AIDS/HIV awareness things, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've no doubt mentioned before but one memory I have from the 90s is this compilation of love songs being advertised on TV where a bunch of the songs (the ones that were highlighted in yellow in the track list that scrolled up the screen, of course) were segued into one another, and now I can't hear any of them without automatically segueing between them in my head.

The one I remember is the chorus from "The Glory of Love"by Peter Cetera segueing into the chorus of "You're the Voice" by John Farnham. "Alone" by Heart, "All Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield and another one by a 70s band I don't know the name of were also in it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've no doubt mentioned before but one memory I have from the 90s is this compilation of love songs being advertised on TV where a bunch of the songs (the ones that were highlighted in yellow in the track list that scrolled up the screen, of course) were segued into one another, and now I can't hear any of them without automatically segueing between them in my head.

The one I remember is the chorus from "The Glory of Love"by Peter Cetera segueing into the chorus of "You're the Voice" by John Farnham. "Alone" by Heart, "All Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield and another one by a 70s band I don't know the name of were also in it.

The Return to Innocence..Sail Away Sail Away Sail Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJSjrox_2s

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Alone is a good song. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antioch posted:

I have that cd on my mp3 player.

Apparently they made more, but I never saw commercials for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

whiteyfats posted:

Alone is a good song. :colbert:

Sure. Ann Wilson - great singer, great voice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure. Ann Wilson - great singer, great voice.

I think her voice may have got better when she got chubs in the 80s.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Both of the Crow soundtracks and the Spawn soundtrack are on my phone.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might as well mention one of the top selling soundtracks of all time, although I'm not a fan of Whitney.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like it came out in 2000 but I owned the Union Underground album

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Inzombiac posted:

We all have our shame.

Iron Crowned posted:

JnnyThndrs posted:

Wisconsin Death Trip isn't exactly godawful by Nineties standards.

I actully paid money for a 311 album, I win. :shepspends:

I had all of the above, and Three Dollar Bill Y'all. :sigh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had the Boomerang soundtrack, cause I like End of the Road, by Boyz II Men. I'm not ashamed, since Boyz II Men were a perfectly fine R&B group.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I felt bad for a sec because y'all were all bagging on Static-X, then I remembered the name of the band I actually like is Spirea X.

...that's also extremely 90s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know Static-X, but Racer-X owns.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Antioch posted:

Just who was that aimed at?
At first it seems like a Adult Contemporary thing with Sail Away and such.
But then you have stuff like the Miami Vice theme, The Exorcist theme (I somehow doubt it was the whole Part 1) and a Eurodance mix of X-Files. :shrug:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I swear every high school assembly that featured an outside speaker featured Republica's "Ready to Go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk

And every other high school assembly had C'mon N' Ride It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croccers posted:

Just who was that aimed at?
At first it seems like a Adult Contemporary thing with Sail Away and such.
But then you have stuff like the Miami Vice theme, The Exorcist theme (I somehow doubt it was the whole Part 1) and a Eurodance mix of X-Files. :shrug:

I legit love the Pure Moods albums :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Lost Highway was the choice soundtrack of the 90s

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Lost Highway was the choice soundtrack of the 90s
Lost Highway soundtrack owns. Might as well throw an honorable mention to the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. It's all over the place, but still cool.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
90s film soundtracks tended to be pretty good from what I recall.

As to some of the more 90s things out there, the 90s retro nostalgia for the 60s-70s in the form of the Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits and the Schoolhouse Rock cover albums by several alternative and Gen X acts of the day.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Two other very 90s soundtracks:

1. "Scream" Master P
2. "Suburban Life" Kottonmouth Kings
3. "Rivers" Sugar Ray
4. "She's Always in My Hair" D'Angelo
5. "Help Myself" Dave Matthews Band
6. "She Said" Collective Soul
7. "Right Place, Wrong Time" The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
8. "Dear Lover" Foo Fighters