Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If Guardians was half what Slither was (or Dogville), I'd be all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gunn's best movie in a walk is still Tromeo and Juliet

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'm more of a Scooby-Doo guy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm a Dawn of the Dead chap, m'self.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

i doff my cap to thine moving picture tastes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gunn's best movie in a walk is still Tromeo and Juliet

Eh. I liked it a lot, but I much prefer his directorial works. Especially no ones favorite here, Super. But that movie moves me hard for some reason.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Waffles Inc. posted:

smg isn't saying that it would be the SAME without sound, but pick your favourite movie--it likely would make a decent amount of sense as a narrative without sound

like, 'Alien' doesn't need dialogue

I'm pretty sure a film like Doubt does though. By this logic, action and horror films are better than most dramas.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Words will shrivel your dick into a vagina, images make my cock hard and wet with pre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Eh. I liked it a lot, but I much prefer his directorial works. Especially no ones favorite here, Super. But that movie moves me hard for some reason.

Super is by far my least favorite thing he's been involved in, including Scooby Doo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

A young, fresh out of film school ruddiger emailed Gunn after that movie came out, praising his script and asking if there was ever any chance of seeing the earlier draft he wrote, which I heard was way more punk rock than what made it into the final script (homeless junkies and gangs were denizens of the mall too or something like that).

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Words will shrivel your dick into a vagina, images make my cock hard and wet with pre.

:smuggo:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Which version of Apocalypse Now does everyone enjoy? I've decided to revisit it since it's been over a decade since I've seen the original cut.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ruddiger posted:

A young, fresh out of film school ruddiger emailed Gunn after that movie came out, praising his script and asking if there was ever any chance of seeing the earlier draft he wrote, which I heard was way more punk rock than what made it into the final script (homeless junkies and gangs were denizens of the mall too or something like that).

I just happened to rewatch that last week in a double feature with the original. I still remember seeing it in theaters as a teen and thinking "No, they wouldn't have a zombie baby..." Really reminded me to what depths of horror Snyder can go.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Violator posted:

Which version of Apocalypse Now does everyone enjoy? I've decided to revisit it since it's been over a decade since I've seen the original cut.

I mix a headcanon of both cuts, which is mostly redux but skipping the area where the boat comes across the camp the bunnies crashed in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Did he get back to you?

He replied to a MySpace message I sent him, and gave me some kind words on a really ugly Grant Grant action figure I tried to make when I was 14. He became my favorite director after that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Violator posted:

Redux is worth watching once for curiosity's sake, but I much prefer the pacing of the theatrical cut.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Redux is worth watching once for curiosity's sake, but I much prefer the pacing of the theatrical cut.
The plantation scenes slow everything down too far but I won't give up "I will not harm you, it was a good board Lance, and I like it" for anything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The plantation sequence makes a good short film on its own but doesn't really belong in the movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm pretty sure a film like Doubt does though. By this logic, action and horror films are better than most dramas.

They are.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"Why does the movie keep cutting to these weird scenes when the girl starts dancing?" asks a complete idiot.

The first 5 minutes of the film are basically a perfect little visual story and the rest, while not being THAT good, works well...I just think you're trying to be provocative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gl2I5exFfM

Here's the intro right here, you can watch it with the sound off and judge for yourself if it's "nearly incomprehensible"

I just tried to absorb this perfect visual story, which is basically a lovely music video that relies entirely on hackneyed visual cliches for any of its success and uh:
-Did she shoot her sister? That would be physically impossible unless the sister climbed up on a box and also moved into an entirely different location. Or the bullet made a hard right turn I guess? Did it ricochet? There's no indication it ricocheted, the shot of the pipe looks like it went through the back wall of the closet and the pipe, which is nowhere near the sister as far as I can tell.
-Why show gas leaking and a burning bulb and then immediately forget about them?
-If she didn't shoot her sister, is he a speed rapist? He's fully clothed and standing in the doorway when she arrives with the gun, despite the fact that it would take like, a minute tops to run back up the stairs and grab it.
-Why did he shoot that shot from the perspective of the door, are we sympathizing with the door?
-Is her sister dead? She touched her arm and came away with blood, despite there being no blood anywhere on the sister. Did she shoot her sister in the arm and somehow kill her? Or did the father like, gently caress her to death? Is her action and the location of the blood so poorly conveyed because he's tastefully trying to convey that the father hosed her to death? Her sister literally never shows up again, so I guess she's dead?

I literally can't make sense of what happened to the sister in that scene and I just tried to watch it about a dozen times. That's the most coherent scene in the movie.

Edit: I just tried to look up the answer and each of the four summaries I looked at has a different explanation of what happens in that scene to end with her sister dead, so that's some perfect visual storytelling.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So...not an attempt to be provocative, just can't do basic inference. Got it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

How can a movie tell an entire story with visuals alone if I'm visually illiterate? Checkmate.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Inception came out the year before so I'm not sure how people see Sucker Punch as incoherent or confusing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I put even money on him being one of those people who thought Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio were the same person for most of The Departed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Nah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

How can a movie tell an entire story with visuals alone if I'm visually illiterate? Checkmate.

"It's not enough that I don't like Snyder's style. He must be a idiot that produces inferior incoherent garbage." --an actual opinion on this here thread

Edit:

Skwirl posted:

I put even money on him being one of those people who thought Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio were the same person for most of The Departed.

That's actually a thing? Wow.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 12, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

D-Box making you nauseous? Feel free to vomit on the provided D-Bag.

:haw:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sucker Punch is a bunch of ridiculous video game cutscenes interspersed with a horrific tale of abuse disguised as some sort of feminist statement that tries to shame you for enjoying the video game cutscenes but ends up just insulting you for attempting to watch the film. But at least he tried to do something interesting instead of just leaning on religious imagery.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Skwirl posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's actually a thing? Wow.

My father declared The Departed a terrible movie because "there's no difference between Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio" including that they look exactly alike, they act the same, and they're both faggots.

I haven't spoken to my father in five years.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Sucker Punch is a bunch of ridiculous video game cutscenes interspersed with a horrific tale of abuse disguised as some sort of feminist statement that tries to shame you for enjoying the video game cutscenes but ends up just insulting you for attempting to watch the film. But at least he tried to do something interesting instead of just leaning on religious imagery.

It's not about shaming you for "enjoying" them - the fantasy sequences are explicitly the fantasies of the sex slaves. They are not examples of exploitation, but of the appropriation of exploitative media by the oppressed. It's not shameful to enjoy blaxploitation movies. But the fantasies at best serve as motivation for and at worst distractions from direct action against oppression. The movie is cautionary, but ambiguous.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
a bunch of white guys: "well actually the movie you think is misogynist is really actually not because

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

a bunch of white guys: "well actually the movie you think is misogynist is really actually not because

All 14 of the other white guys I share this account with took a vote and decided no one else gets to have an opinion. I'm going to delete Tars's post in a second actually

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DeimosRising posted:

All 14 of the other white guys I share this account with took a vote and decided no one else gets to have an opinion. I'm going to delete Tars's post in a second actually

I knew it was a hivemind!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think it's more like it's commenting on the nature of those video game cutscenes, I didn't feel shamed. The whole end message is "female solidarity against The Institution, literally sacrifice yourself to push your sisters forward" and I don't consider that an insult (it's a lovely message though). But you also very obviously despise Snyder so let's not pretend you're going to interpret anything he does as anything less than a massive failure and grave insult to your sense of propriety.

Edit: There's no doubt that Snyder is obsessed with people eating poo poo so that others can survive, he goes back to that well again and again and again, from Watchmen to BvS to Sucker Punch to 300.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 12, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't seen the film but I have heard it is surprisingly never shot from male gaze? Is that true?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

parallelodad posted:

I haven't seen the film but I have heard it is surprisingly never shot from male gaze? Is that true?

That is correct, Zack Snyder and Larry Fong are both women.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

parallelodad posted:

It puts women in fetishwear but shoots them like the guys from The Right Stuff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
*woman with giant boobs holds a gun*

male audience: ah, sexism is over

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Jude Law has been cast as young Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fantastic-beasts-sequel-jude-law-play-young-dumbledore-993196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If he becomes the young warrior and the young rogue he won't need any other party members.

• Locked thread