Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

He had to get home.

Perfect tagline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/11/united-airlines-shares-plummet-passenger-removal-controversy?CMP=fb_gu

quote:

Shares in United Airlines’ parent company plummeted on Tuesday, wiping close to $1bn off of the company’s value, a day after a viral video showing police forcibly dragging a passenger off one of its plane became a global news sensation.

That's a very, very expensive seat

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Emirates and Royal Jordanian dunking on United with their Facebook posts is the opposite of a dumb marketing move:

https://www.facebook.com/Emirates/videos/1146094045500343/

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Krispy Kareem posted:

Perfect tagline.

I don't know if ol' Marky Mark would want to star in a movie about the brutal beating of an Asian-American man. He's been trying to distance himself from that part of his life for a while now.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

https://twitter.com/united/status/851875102769721344

new ceo time methinks, 2 days for this and only after the losses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RandomFerret posted:

I don't know if ol' Marky Mark would want to star in a movie about the brutal beating of an Asian-American man. He's been trying to distance himself from that part of his life for a while now.

:drat:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

He definitely didn't realize how bad it was until now. United's top marketing/PR people likely saw this as another flash in the pan issue, like the legging thing a couple weeks ago, but it's a good bit worse than that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Bad timing on this sort-of-PSA/self-promotion ad that ran in my local paper:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bad timing on this sort-of-PSA/self-promotion ad that ran in my local paper:

Haha, it's likely a national ad running in their 100+ papers today, because the copy doesn't even mention your paper other than they put its masthead at the bottom.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

Yeah, but he can't resist a disaster movie. And for United at least this hasn't been unlike one.

And I totally forgot he got caught beating the poo poo out of not one, but two Asian men. I was just making a whitewashing joke.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

sassassin posted:

The response of the local security officer was perhaps overboard but the staff followed the rules and regulations laid out by their employers and the government after an unfortunate situation arose.

The fact that "following corporate policy" caused the situation to escalate to this point is, in fact, the problem. If it were some rogue employee punching a dude it would be bad. What you have here is, in essence, United saying "our corporate policy is to enforce our whims with force if necessary."

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chitin posted:

The fact that "following corporate policy" caused the situation to escalate to this point is, in fact, the problem. If it were some rogue employee punching a dude it would be bad. What you have here is, in essence, United saying "our corporate policy is to enforce our whims with force if necessary."

He's an executive, pretty much his entire job centres around blaming everyone else, and dodging responsibility.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

He's an executive, pretty much his entire job centres around blaming everyone else, and dodging responsibility.

The conundrum of being a corporate leader is that once you get to the very top, all the strategies that got you there stop working.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'd have taken 80 dollars of compensation let alone 800.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They offer 800 funbux vouchers. Not real cash.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

United is really on a roll http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-united-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I've never seen an airline so invested in digging holes before

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well at this point you fire any HR and CEO, quickly rebrand to anything that does not sound close to 'United', and hope that nobody notices.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Boy, how happy are you if you're Pepsi's marketing department right now?

"Guys, another company hosed up way harder than us! Party time!"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WampaLord posted:

Boy, how happy are you if you're Pepsi's marketing department right now?

"Guys, another company hosed up way harder than us! Party time!"

This is the summary you are looking for

https://twitter.com/Lance_Bradley/status/851864862426890240

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well at this point you fire any HR and CEO, quickly rebrand to anything that does not sound close to 'United', and hope that nobody notices.

Or just fly under the radar for a bit, and stall until everyone forgets about it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Or just fly under the radar for a bit, and stall until everyone forgets about it.

Having their planes dodge radars would cause them waaaaaaay more troubles than this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Having their planes dodge radars would cause them waaaaaaay more troubles than this.

:thejoke:

Also you missed the stall reference.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

loving :lol:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chitin posted:

CEO is responsible for setting policy. That's literally their primary job. God knows they aren't sitting down behind a desk entering transactions.

So if the shareholders are remotely diligent about their investment they will demand blood and a new chairperson.

They may not be diligent in which case :rip: some cash.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I actually wouldn't blame HR for this. Ultimately the policies HR follow aren't set by HR but rather senior executives.

Now there might be a case to replace the HR director but the worker bees have zero influence in policy development.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, the flight wasn't even overbooked!

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/852109819163049985

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

quote:

According to United, the airline was left with “no choice” but to call security officers.

That poor airline. I'm sure they really weren't able to make a better offer than 1000$.

Also lol at "Why didn't this man leave voluntarily? Our computer selected him as a volunteer! It's his fault!"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Well after the internal email admitting this was leaked it was only a matter of time before formally coming out with it.

I think the rest of the internet knew about ~12 hours ago though. Quality PR management really.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Earlier today, Burger King ran a bunch of TV ads containing the phrase "OK Google, what is the Whopper burger?" with the intent of triggering nearby Google Home devices, causing them to read the first sentence of the Wikipedia article aloud. They also edited that wikipedia article to replace the first sentence with advertising copy.

People noticed, of course, and started making their own edits. And Google picks up changes to wikipedia articles within minutes.

This means that in the window between the ads starting to air, and Google noticing and blacklisting the advert entirely, Google Home devices (and anyone doing a browser search for the Whopper!) were cheerfully reporting, among other things, that:
- Whoppers are the worst burger made by Burger King
- Whoppers are malted milk balls coated in chocolate
- Whoppers are made of 100% medium child topped with cyanide

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Earlier today, Burger King ran a bunch of TV ads containing the phrase "OK Google, what is the Whopper burger?" with the intent of triggering nearby Google Home devices, causing them to read the first sentence of the Wikipedia article aloud. They also edited that wikipedia article to replace the first sentence with advertising copy.

People noticed, of course, and started making their own edits. And Google picks up changes to wikipedia articles within minutes.

This means that in the window between the ads starting to air, and Google noticing and blacklisting the advert entirely, Google Home devices (and anyone doing a browser search for the Whopper!) were cheerfully reporting, among other things, that:
- Whoppers are the worst burger made by Burger King
- Whoppers are malted milk balls coated in chocolate
- Whoppers are made of 100% medium child topped with cyanide

Do advertising people just not use the internet, like...ever? You'd think after the first Weedlord Bonerhitler moment everybody would realize how terrible an idea that sort of thing is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do advertising people just not use the internet, like...ever? You'd think after the first Weedlord Bonerhitler moment everybody would realize how terrible an idea that sort of thing is.

Its sillier than you think, if they used Alexa they could pay to force that voice command to go to the exact content they wanted so they clearly didnt think it through at all.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Generating the rage from this sort of thing is baked into the campaign goals. Viral is the watch word and rage is the fastest way there. Someone is getting a bonus for this, not fired.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:airquote: controversial :airquote:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Platystemon posted:

:airquote: controversial :airquote:

This is a pet marketing peeve of mine.

Someone says "Hitler was a great bloke and all black people are promoting homosexual communism via abortions in public schools." and it's "controversial"

Beauty and the Beast has two men dancing together for a second and it's "controversial"

A furry teenager causes a fuss when their school won't let them wear their fursuit complete with collar and realistic genitals to Prom and that is also "controversial"

The word has lost all meaning and can be used to amplify the importance of a minor thing, or downplay the importance of a major thing so much taht nothing has any importance anymore.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a pet marketing peeve of mine.

Someone says "Hitler was a great bloke and all black people are promoting homosexual communism via abortions in public schools." and it's "controversial"

Beauty and the Beast has two men dancing together for a second and it's "controversial"

A furry teenager causes a fuss when their school won't let them wear their fursuit complete with collar and realistic genitals to Prom and that is also "controversial"

The word has lost all meaning and can be used to amplify the importance of a minor thing, or downplay the importance of a major thing so much taht nothing has any importance anymore.

All 'controversial' has ever meant was that people were arguing about it, though?

With your second issue, the worse usage I think is implying that there's an argument about something where there definitely isn't. See 'teach the controversy' regarding creationism, or 'controversial' remarks like 'Hitler never gassed Germans.'.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It's a very common newspaper technique to use 'controversial' or describe the 'fury' over x, where x is a thing nobody cared about until the news told them they should be furious about it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Speaking of Burger King, there is a ad for the crispy chicken sandwich that absolutely infuriates me for its idiotic concept.

It displays a person's tweet disparaging the sandwich and then has the person sitting in a Burger King blindfold eating a chicken sandwich and then he's shocked that it was a Burger King sandwich and how good it was, much to the delight to the mascot and the clapping of the crew offscreen.

He's already in a Burger King, why is he getting blindfolded? How is it going to be a surprise that a person brought to a fast food place is served fast food and it's fast food from that place? gently caress YOU BURGER KING

I really hate how dumb that set up is :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

Yeah, it was blatantly transparent that they didn't give a poo poo until their stock started dropping, and then suddenly it's "horrific."