Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

edit: this pug kills fascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP, you're treating a PHON voter like they're some kind of separate entity from the rest of an electorate. Granted, there's something to it going on in places like Caloundra, but in your proper regionals like Nth Queensland (defined from, say Rockhampton upwards), they're not. They're just angry and wanting an alternative to the majors.

But give them the perception that PHON would blackmail the government over something they very much care about, that's going to damage PHON a lot. Where I live, PHON is just the crazy fringe but if Senator McKenzie doesn't rush out and say something to the contrary if this gets more heat, I'll be very surprised because the Nats are just as sensitive on the issue. And that's in an electorate where I repeat, PHON has a snowball's chance in hell. There is a great danger that the LNP would play this up also, because it hurts PHON more than it hurts them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

9 News - not linking posted:

Waleed Aly has undermined Pauline Hanson's campaign to encourage Australians to buy non-Halal certified chocolate by eating some himself.

Hanson yesterday released a video urging Australians not to buy Cadbury eggs this Easter because they had been halal-certified.

Instead she endorsed Lindt and Darrell Lea because they were not "financially supporting the Islamisation of Australia".

"Go and buy some non-halal Easter eggs and chocolate, and have a happy Easter everyone," Hanson said.

But The Project host Waleed Aly very willingly poked holes in Hanson's logic yesterday.

"I eat these all the time. These are awesome," the prominent Muslim entertainer said while holding a Lindt chocolate bunny.

Aly then unwrapped the foil and took a bite for all to see.

"That's entirely Halal. It's all vegetarian."

Halal certification is a formal procedure to determine that a food product does not contain pork, blood or alcohol.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

That is a fake Milo account :shh:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I was genuinely looking forward to chocolate and bacon eggs, dissapointed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't buy any easter eggs they are all halal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

2GB's Ray Hadley yesterday dumped Treasurer Scott Morrison from his weekly spot for two-timing him. Hadley today gave the spot to Tony Abbott.

Oh boy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Don't buy any easter eggs they are all halal.

catallaxy hears about Waleed eating the bunny posted:

The interesting thing about that Waleed Aly video – apart from being another example of a prominent Muslim male beating up on a woman – is that Aly is confirmed to be a devout Muslim who only eats “Halal” food. He eats the gold bunny on that basis by his own admission. Good for him. But this being the case, why doesn’t he “perfectly skewer” or “smack down” a gay lobbyist comparing homosexual ‘relationships’ to real marriage? He must want to, as a devout ad traditional Muslim. Mmm.

Hmph well he must be wrong some other way.

catallaxy is suspicious of halal certification posted:

I’m not willing to contribute to a bogus and unnecessary halal certification scheme that goes to shadowy organizations, of which there are many competing ones, to boost islam, and possibly being used to support terrorists.

yet another one posted:

Nothing wrong with informing people that a company has paid for their Easter eggs to be halal certified.

No. It needs to be banned. Islam is a cancer that needs to be removed from the West. One of the strategies is to cut funding through this extortion racket. Along with several other strategies that will encourage adherents of the RoP to remove themselves to another, more Islam friendly, country.

You can never beat the dumb.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Hmph well he must be wrong some other way.

You can never beat the dumb.

Touch the poop ewe2. Touch it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Touch the poop ewe2. Touch it.

I'm not letting any of my information near those lunatics, you do it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Wait who are you quoting?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Apartment complex being built near my house is offering a $10,000 Visa card if you buy an apartment. hmmmm

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ewe2 posted:

I'm not letting any of my information near those lunatics, you do it.

I guess I would be kind of hard to dox

Frogfingers posted:

Wait who are you quoting?

Australian Libertarian website catallaxyfiles.com

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Apartment complex being built near my house is offering a $10,000 Visa card if you buy an apartment. hmmmm

About 50% of apartments bought off the plan sell for less than their purchase price.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So thankful for screenshots people post of daily mail because gently caress giving them clicks.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

VIC YG are worse than Young Labor, don't bother unless you hate yourself.

I'm an active member of VYG and it's fine enough, people have a wide range of views and disagreements. I think the comparison to young Labor is pretty dumb and is just the same tired NSW vs VIC stuff that is universally loving terrible no matter which side it's coming from. The more salient warning would be to not expect that much from youth politics because youth politics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bogan King posted:

So thankful for screenshots people post of daily mail because gently caress giving them clicks.

ABC spent two days with an Asian

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bogan King posted:

If someone in PHON doesn't tell Roberts to STFU they are going to get the mother of scare campaigns. This is the kind of message that riles regionals.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Cutting ABC service would have an adverse affect on regional areas" is true, "regional voters understand the value of the ABC" is generally true, "PHON voters understand the value of the ABC" is anyone's loving guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Cutting ABC service would have an adverse affect on regional areas" is true, "regional voters understand the value of the ABC" is generally true, "PHON voters understand the value of the ABC" is anyone's loving guess.

This is the core of what I was wondering about and "anyone's guess" seems the best answer.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Woman in Ballarat loses $70k worth of gold bullion to burglary (ABC).

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bogan King posted:

About 50% of apartments bought off the plan sell for less than their purchase price.

Is it a money laundering operation?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

Is it a money laundering operation?

No just "wise investors" making "wealth growing" decisions!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Next Web posted:

McDonalds (also known as that place that you eat when you’re totally shitfaced and nowhere else is open) wants you to think that it’s relevant. To that aim, its Australian subsidiary has launched Snapchat job applications, because that’s what the kids are into today, right?

The world’s second-worst fast food chain — Burger King takes first place, obviously — wants potential candidates to send the company a 10-second video using a filter that shows them wearing a McDonald’s uniform

The irony isn’t lost on me. The ephemeral quality of a Snapchat video is the perfect metaphor for the here-today-gone-tomorrow fast food worker.

The job applications, which McDonalds calls “Snaplications” (I vomited a little), will be the first step in the recruitment process. The company will then review the submissions, pick out the favorites, and send digital applications to those selected.

Speaking to Australian news website news.com.au, McDonald’s Australia COO Shaun Ruming said the company is looking for applicants with a “bubbly personality.” He also added that he’d “learned a lot about Snapchat recently from my 14-year-old daughter.”

The whole thing feels like a gimmick – an awkward, insincere, clumsy gimmick at that. And given that sponsored Snapchat lenses are expensive to commission, I can’t help but feel the money McDonalds spent could be better used to, IDK, pay its employees a living wage?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't see how it's any worse than the traditional application process, and advertising jobs anywhere isn't free.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bogan King posted:

What is he on about?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

I don't see how it's any worse than the traditional application process, and advertising jobs anywhere isn't free.

How are you going to get a maccas uniform to apply for the job?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Roberts seems like the kind of crazy to corner strangers at the checkout and start telling them about chemtrails and the secret alien base just outside of town

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bogan King posted:

How are you going to get a maccas uniform to apply for the job?

From the filter?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Oh it isn't ideological it's facts (Anecdote) based!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-12/government-wont-name-supporters-of-cashless-welfare-cards/8435782

quote:

Federal Government fails to name supporters of cashless welfare card trial By political reporter Dan Conifer Posted about 8 hours ago

The Federal Government is refusing to name the "community leaders" it claims support a Centrelink income management trial, amid a push to dramatically expand the program in May's budget.

Key points:

Greens asked Government to provide names of community leaders involved in discussions over the trial
Government said some members of working groups "requested their names not be provided"
The Coalition has justified the initiative by pointing to consultations with key figures in the locations it operates
The Cashless Debit Card forces 80 per cent of a person's welfare payments onto the card, which cannot pay for alcohol or gambling or be withdrawn as cash.

The Coalition has repeatedly justified the initiative by pointing to consultations with key figures in the locations it operates. But after being pressed by the Greens in Senate Estimates to name those supporters, the Government refused. "The [Human Services] department approached some of the members of the … groups to ask whether they agreed to their names being provided in this response," its statement said. "Some of them requested their names not be provided at this stage." The compulsory program currently operates in two areas with high Aboriginal populations — Ceduna in South Australia and Western Australia's East Kimberley region. Greens Indigenous affairs spokeswoman Rachel Siewert said it was a rubbish response.{/b]

"People being affected have the right to know who in their community is making the calls that affect their lives so strongly," she said. "Who are the people that are making these decisions? Are they really the people the community considers leaders?"

Refusal comes after MP backtracks on claims of support

The Government is searching for other communities where welfare quarantining can be rolled out. "We're hoping to see another 10 trial sites rolled out in this year's budget," Kalgoorlie-based federal Liberal MP Rick Wilson said. But fellow WA Liberal Melissa Price was recently forced to backtrack on a claim that communities were clamouring for the card. Several councils told the ABC Ms Price had never even discussed the issue with them. A government-funded report last month found a quarter of drinkers on the card reported consuming alcohol less often and many people had stopped gambling. [b]But the report showed one in two participants said their life was worse because of the card. Less than a quarter of those in the trials said it improved their lives.

Support 'across the board' for welfare measure, says Tudge <-(lol)

There are three community groups working with the Government to implement the program. Invited by the ABC to name supporters of the measure — including from its working groups — Human Services Minister Alan Tudge named one person.
"These community leaders, such as Ian Trust, are well-known figures, highly respected individuals," he said. Mr Trust is the executive director of the Wunan Foundation, an Aboriginal development organisation in the East Kimberley. During a recent visit to the Kimberley, Mr Tudge said support was "across the board". "Whether it be some of the church leaders, the police officers, the supermarket owners, the ambulance drivers, the Indigenous leaders, the non-Indigenous leaders [or] the chamber of commerce," he said. "Anybody who has been out with me and consulted with community leaders out there does know that is the case."

Mr Tudge said the Greens' opposition was blindly ideological and demanded the party offer its own solutions to the "welfare-fuelled alcohol abuse" in some Aboriginal communities.
I'm not racist but I won't give you my name.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

From the filter?

Completely missed the part where it says filter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

No just "wise investors" making "wealth growing" decisions!

A gentleman keeps calling me because I looked at some apartments recently. He wants to sell me one that will be done in 18 months for $600k. Don't worry though, by the time it's built it will be worth $750.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Roberts seems like the kind of crazy to corner strangers at the checkout and start telling them about chemtrails and the secret alien base just outside of town

He tried to start a punch-up at an election event on 2016. Should have gone for it in hindsight.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bogan King posted:

Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul is a national treasure

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, so what should perhaps be my course of action going forward in responding to the VEC handing me an 'invalid response to apparent failure to vote'? Because apparently the response of 'I did vote, here's when I sent it and where I sent it from' is not a valid or acceptable response (at which point I'm wondering what IS acceptable because what the gently caress else could I provide).

I'm quite capable of paying the fine, but I'd really prefer not to have to pay monetarily for somebody else losing my vote.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cleretic posted:

Okay, so what should perhaps be my course of action going forward in responding to the VEC handing me an 'invalid response to apparent failure to vote'? Because apparently the response of 'I did vote, here's when I sent it and where I sent it from' is not a valid or acceptable response (at which point I'm wondering what IS acceptable because what the gently caress else could I provide).

I'm quite capable of paying the fine, but I'd really prefer not to have to pay monetarily for somebody else losing my vote.

Tell them you conscientiously object to compulsory voting.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

Dunno but there's been a huge furore about it on the ABC, it sounds like a bunch of people got them when they shouldn't have but the VEC reckons it's something to do with the date people sent back their response forms. I think there's some sort of review process the VEC has for people appealing the decision but gently caress knows how long that will take.

On the advice of this thread I told them I voted but Australia Post probably lost it and I haven't heard back but I recently moved house so there might be a fine waiting for me at my old place.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JBP posted:

Tell them you conscientiously object to compulsory voting.

Well that's definitely not gonna work.

gay picnic defence posted:

Dunno but there's been a huge furore about it on the ABC, it sounds like a bunch of people got them when they shouldn't have but the VEC reckons it's something to do with the date people sent back their response forms. I think there's some sort of review process the VEC has for people appealing the decision but gently caress knows how long that will take.

On the advice of this thread I told them I voted but Australia Post probably lost it and I haven't heard back but I recently moved house so there might be a fine waiting for me at my old place.

Just looked at that article, it's pretty ridiculous. Shows me there's a lot of people having this issue, though.

Still doesn't really give me an angle. I mean, what the hell CAN you say in responding to this infringement? It's not like I took a photo of myself putting my vote in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

Well that's definitely not gonna work.

Just looked at that article, it's pretty ridiculous. Shows me there's a lot of people having this issue, though.

Still doesn't really give me an angle. I mean, what the hell CAN you say in responding to this infringement? It's not like I took a photo of myself putting my vote in the mail.

Not sure. I think they'll cave in eventually though once Jon Faine or Raph Epstein turn the screws enough. I mean they've had people calling up 774 saying multiple family members voted on the same day yet some got a fine and the others didn't. Clearly something has hosed up along the way there but the VEC just hasn't got the balls to admit it yet.

• Locked thread