Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

Hello new Modern Burn staple that possibly competes with or even replaces Eidolon of the Great Revel.

It hits fetch-lands!

Eidolon is great because if you play it on turn two and the opponent cannot answer it or kill you the next turn they're going to lose, and even if they do answer it you trade cards and still deal 2 damage. If you cast Harsh Mentor and they just Bolt or Push it, you didn't gain anything. Burn will keep playing four Eidolons, and will probably play some number of Mentors, but it won't replace the Eidolon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Multi Format Warper

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Not even the best green God

Which Green God is better? That card is broken af.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Entropic posted:

Hello new Modern Burn staple that possibly competes with or even replaces Eidolon of the Great Revel.

It hits fetch-lands!

I'd say it's more complementary than anything. It probably replaces Lavamancer more than anything. The reason it shouldn't replace Eidolon is because they both shock in different yet important ways.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

I'd say it's more complementary than anything. It probably replaces Lavamancer more than anything. The reason it shouldn't replace Eidolon is because they both shock in different yet important ways.

I definitely don't think it replaces any number of Eidolon, they're still better for guaranteeing damage. Could replace Lavamancer though, he's gotten worse lately. The new guy is much easier to play around than Eidolon.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm never not playing sligh/burn in any format ever again

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Let's see, Prime Time, Tarmogoyf, Bird of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, Eternal Witness...

No probably not

The only creature here even remotely close to green god in limited is primetime and that costs 2x the mana.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Firebatgyro posted:

The only creature here even remotely close to green god in limited is primetime and that costs 2x the mana.

You didn't specify that you meant limited. 95% of the time people here are referring to constructed unless stated otherwise.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Calling it now: Bolas made the barrier because he also set up some kind of lure to attract monsters to the cities in order to keep people in controlled spaces. Seems like something he would do.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You didn't specify that you meant limited. 95% of the time people here are referring to constructed unless stated otherwise.

I did though...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Firebatgyro posted:

I did though...

You're right, I overlooked it and assumed everyone else did the same. Agreeably a super bomby card in limited.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The worst god of the set?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

In the running for Worst God. Surely it wouldn't be too good if it counted a creature from any player dying, considering how easily the green god gets turned on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hard to block and provides a decent clock if you're reliably turning him on (perhaps in some sort of aristocrats-style deck), but I can see plenty of games where he hits the table and does very little.

Definitely on the ineffectual side for a splashy mythic.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Holy gently caress is that card not even remotely pushed. You can't even kill an opposing creature to attack? The sac outlet costs two mana? Wow. Just wow. That card just isn't playable. Would you even play it in Limited? His sac doesn't even draw a card! It only scrys 1! How did this card end up so dang weak?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

dragon enthusiast posted:

Feels like just yesterday that red was getting bears with no drawbacks

how long until blue gets a true bear

endless one

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sampatrick posted:

How did this card end up so dang weak?

It's not white or green

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

considering how easily the green god gets turned on.

Horny bastard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

By the way, props to Wizards for getting away from their incredibly formulaic planeswalkers designs lately. Gideon and Nissa are neat and even Liliana is probably above average in interestingness.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nobody has even mentioned what this does to Miracles yet.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

By the way, props to Wizards for getting away from their incredibly formulaic planeswalkers designs lately. Gideon and Nissa are neat and even Liliana is probably above average in interestingness.

Liliana isn't exactly avant-garde but the card is twice as interesting as something like Dovin Baan.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Holy gently caress is that card not even remotely pushed. You can't even kill an opposing creature to attack? The sac outlet costs two mana? Wow. Just wow. That card just isn't playable. Would you even play it in Limited? His sac doesn't even draw a card! It only scrys 1! How did this card end up so dang weak?

Not great for limited, going to depend on how many tokens are available at common. Right now I'd say god ranking is G >> R > W > B/U

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 12, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

spin that top motherfucker, I dare you

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sickening posted:

Some synergy with Embalm, token generators and all the -1 counters flying around. Bit of a pain in the rear end to activate, but Shadows block had a bunch of sacrifice going around, and he plays nice with Revolt and crews a whole buncha cars.

Worst god in the set, but seems fun to tinker with?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Sickening posted:

I might be the only person in the thread that kinda likes this card? I like smoothing out my draws, the drain can win you the game, it's in a color that can handle all the sacrifice...

I mean, yeah, all of the bits are bad versions of other better cards. But I still don't hate it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, I sincerely like him. He's got a bunch of synergies you can play around with.

For example, here's a dream curve to make him swing on turn 4: Dread Wanderer, Hapatra, Bontu, Crocodile of the Crossing. -1/-1 on Wanderer to kill it, poop out a snake token and activate Bontu. Swing with Bontu and Croc for 9.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Hopefully kills it

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Here's a thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mikujin posted:

Here's a thing.

I always wondered when this would happen and how much it would cost.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, that certainly turns Rhonas on.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Maro has been talking about this for years on his tumblr.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

Maro's been talking about this thing for like 2 blocks. I'm surprised it wasn't just a big robot in Kaladesh.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"I cast Hindsight!"

Edit: I will not rest until I've managed to discard this, play Gravedigger and exert Champion of Rhonas.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 12, 2017

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Here's a thing.

Shai-Hulud

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Here's a thing.

"Fling".

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Fling right into the bin. Its apparently a fake.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Frozen_flame posted:

Fling right into the bin. Its apparently a fake.

I am SO disappointed

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Glyph Keeper
3UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying

Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability for the first time in a turn, counter that spell or ability."

Embalm 5UU (5UU, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Sphinx with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)
5/3

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mikujin posted:

Here's a thing.

This is a snake right?

WHERE IS THE FRIGGIN DEATHTOUCH?!

MY IMMERSIONNNNNNNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola