Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

yes. you get bond exp with him for making coffee, so just do that since you also get an SP restorative item.

Not all the time, just had a time where I made coffee and he never came back for the bond exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

What the? I'm going through Palace 3 and I just got a dagger for Joker out of a chest that was worse than the Silver Dagger you are given earlier on. Are the chest contents random or something?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really, really don't like the 5th dungeon. The gently caress are you supposed to even do in those mini boss fights? I just died and lost like an hour of play because I ran into one with 4 drones and the boss and they just would spam Triple Down and basically kill my guys near outright every single round of combat. And they take so little damage even with using Haru's Psi-resistance break.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kalsco posted:

What the? I'm going through Palace 3 and I just got a dagger for Joker out of a chest that was worse than the Silver Dagger you are given earlier on. Are the chest contents random or something?

Was it a transmutable one? those have crap stats because they can be turned into better ones later in the velvet room.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Was it a transmutable one? those have crap stats because they can be turned into better ones later in the velvet room.

Ah, thaaat would be it. No clue weapon transmutation was a thing, but I guess I'll keep it around 'til then. Thanks.

e: After having gone through a tiny bit of this game, Marin Karin is seriously showing some insane strength. Unless an enemy is outright immune to it, it's almost like a guaranteed 2-3+ turns where I can just wail on an enemy without worry. It's broken good and I love it.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Takes longer than usual yeah, even if you spend time making coffee with him. But after Dungeon 4 you start getting way more points with him per rank and it starts progressing much faster.

Even before that you should hang out with him though because he's the best.

But not always. Once, I made coffee and he didn't come back to taste it and I was kinda crushed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really, really don't like the 5th dungeon. The gently caress are you supposed to even do in those mini boss fights? I just died and lost like an hour of play because I ran into one with 4 drones and the boss and they just would spam Triple Down and basically kill my guys near outright every single round of combat. And they take so little damage even with using Haru's Psi-resistance break.

The little guys are weak to wind. You can blast em with wind then baton pass to Haru and get a all out attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Get one of the like 3 persona that reflect phys and gun from that dungeon and keep that on Joker at all times, while praying you have the right person in your party to hit their weakness.

Those fights loving suck.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Get one of the like 3 persona that reflect phys and gun from that dungeon and keep that on Joker at all times, while praying you have the right person in your party to hit their weakness.

Those fights loving suck.

This is why you make Element/Force Sets and keep them handy to test weaknesses

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I wish Yusuke was better in combat than Ryuji because despite me hitting a roadblock in it, it is sooooo much better of a Confidant.

Also whoever whined that Ann's Confidant is dumb and boring, they're right there's like nothing actually going on or progressing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, if you leveled Star AT ALL you can swap the person with the correct weakness in.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

tiny guys are weak to wind and fire, mid guys are weak to wind, big guys are weak to psy

also get arahabaki so you don't get MC fragged, they literally can't kill you

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I beat Palace 4 in two days, and then Futaba was just in a sorta coma for a whole goddamn month and nobody bats an eyelid? :crossarms:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, if you leveled Star AT ALL you can swap the person with the correct weakness in.

Star is alarmingly helpful in battle and I'm surprised we didn't have this ability before. Also, seventh palace spoilers Three phase fight with Shida was an absolute pain in the rear end. Had to burn a Soma at phase 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also lol if your Joker doesn't have at least one attack of each element and +agi gear to completely destroy every random encounter and miniboss.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I just got a jack frost doll from the crane game on my first try. :smuggo:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So, Sun late-stage spoilers.

Did No-Good-Tora just casually figure out I'm a Phantom Thief and drop it to keep things deniable and social? This guy rules.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bardeh posted:

So I beat Palace 4 in two days, and then Futaba was just in a sorta coma for a whole goddamn month and nobody bats an eyelid? :crossarms:

Palace 4 is secretly a Persona 4 dungeon. Futaba reaches out to the truth, confronts her shadow, and gets a persona out of the deal. And then after doing that she just kinda disappears until the dungeon deadline.

bewilderment posted:

I wish Yusuke was better in combat than Ryuji because despite me hitting a roadblock in it, it is sooooo much better of a Confidant.

Also whoever whined that Ann's Confidant is dumb and boring, they're right there's like nothing actually going on or progressing.

You could just use him anyway. He gets the job done.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

sexpig by night posted:

So, Sun late-stage spoilers.

Did No-Good-Tora just casually figure out I'm a Phantom Thief and drop it to keep things deniable and social? This guy rules.

There's a reason they're confidants in this game. Everyone figures out who you are by rank 10 which is rad and so much better than some of the old 'vignettes that go nowhere links' that plagued 3 and 4.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea as much as I like Ryuji I swapped him for Fox and haven't had any issues, they're both good combat with a healthy blend of elemental and physical skills and utility like Counter

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

End Game Boss Spoilers: What the gently caress do I even do against Michael? This poo poo is stupid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

There's a reason they're confidants in this game. Everyone figures out who you are by rank 10 which is rad and so much better than some of the old 'vignettes that go nowhere links' that plagued 3 and 4.

that's real cool. I haven't maxed anyone yet so I was wondering how a few of these go. Yea as much as I liked most of 4 having everyone at least semi tie in to the greater story makes a way better thing overall

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

YoshiOfYellow posted:

End Game Boss Spoilers: What the gently caress do I even do against Michael? This poo poo is stupid.
I think I got through most of that section by using Sandalphon (with Null Phys, which I fused onto everything I could and it turned to be a good idea) and spamming Sword Dance.

edit: Izanagi Picaro from the preorder DLC also turned out to be surprisingly viable for the whole game despite starting at level 23, his resistances are really good and Cross Slash still wrecks poo poo even in the endgame. A lot like Black Frost in P4, honestly. He also learns Growth 3, which helps a lot.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea as much as I like Ryuji I swapped him for Fox and haven't had any issues, they're both good combat with a healthy blend of elemental and physical skills and utility like Counter

Until Ryugi gets charge and then uh rip Yusuke.

Also I find Tarakuja way more useful than Sukakuja but ymmv :shrug:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You could just use him anyway. He gets the job done.

I put both Ryuji and Yusuke in my party and have them both put their beef to good use. Protagonist either heals or hits other weaknesses and last party slot is either Makoto or Ann.

Morgana only exists to be a heal-battery.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ryuji/Makoto/Haru is pretty much the only party I ever used and I have a hard time seeing a justification for a different one.

e: Except for after Goro shows up, I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arist posted:

Ryuji/Makoto/Haru is pretty much the only party I ever used and I have a hard time seeing a justification for a different one.

This is what I am aiming for, too. Ann's days on the starting lineup are numbered

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

Until Ryugi gets charge and then uh rip Yusuke.

Also I find Tarakuja way more useful than Sukakuja but ymmv :shrug:

The funny thing is that Ryuji is basically the best parts of Chie and Kanji combined.

Meanwhile Yusuke is uhhh proto-Yosuke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I switch my party up all the time with the only consistent thing being Ann relegated to Mementos (sorry Ann). And i've managed to get through everything pretty ok.

Though when things get tough I usually default to Ryuji/Makoto/Haru as the "best" squad. I haven't gotten Goro yet though so perhaps that will change!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Fuse Satan, Concentrate and Ice Age

:shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The funny thing is that Ryuji is basically the best parts of Chie and Kanji combined.

Meanwhile Yusuke is uhhh proto-Yosuke.

Rising Slash does really good damage when it works!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Arist posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I'd sometimes bring out Morgana as a replacement healer when Makoto started to get low on SP, but aside from those rare occasions it was that party all the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rising Slash does really good damage when it works!

When I think about it Yusuke is more like Junpei than Yosuke. He just has a tiny bit more utility in getting a Ma- spell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I switch my party up all the time with the only consistent thing being Ann relegated to Mementos (sorry Ann). And i've managed to get through everything pretty ok.

Though when things get tough I usually default to Ryuji/Makoto/Haru as the "best" squad. I haven't gotten Goro yet though so perhaps that will change!

Haru and Goro are stuck in a revolving door and they can't get out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most unrealistic part of this game is that ryuji makes a fist of the north star joke and all of these 2017 teenagers pick up on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ryuji also quotes Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive", maybe he is actually in his forties

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

the most unrealistic part of this game is that ryuji makes a fist of the north star joke and all of these 2017 teenagers pick up on it
That's 20XX, thank you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnnnngh Becky... I was honestly getting kinda bored with this game until Becky, now I'm all in. It's not the maid thing but I'm definitely hot for teacher :getin:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

How do you watch DVDs with the tv? I just sit down by the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alder posted:

How do you watch DVDs with the tv? I just sit down by the couch.

Like this:

(My cat sits like that :allears:)

(If you asking how it's done, you rent a DVD and interact with the TV in your room, bought from the old pawn shop guy outside of LeBlanc.)