Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Habits posted:

Having The Unbidden respond to your ruler being the Chosen One was a nice touch. The Cybrex event chain failing in the same game after this many patches, not so much.

Yeah seriously Paradox, fix your lovely legacy quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, I've fiddled with it a bunch but I cannot take any traits and save

e: are some traits and other choices incompatible and it doesn't show on the interface?

Silly question, but do you have any mods running?

Also try verifying the game files - that's fixed all manner of issues with various games for me.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I wish your ethics and civics would give you a handful of possible government types you choose from, having a single point of Militarist turning all my governments into military dictatorships is annoying.

As Militarist/Fanatic Xenophobe fanatical purifiers, all government options are amazing. I chose Oligarchy for "Purification Committee".

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Had a weird game just now. I got a war in heaven crisis, and told them both to gently caress off so that I could lead the league against them, but then before the actual war kicked off the Unbidden rolled in on the other side of the galaxy. I thought you could only get one crisis? I started up the league and all the empires chose sides and everything but neither of the fallen empires ever declared war on me. I ended up killing off the unbidden first, then both empires, and when I declared war on them their vassals never joined the fight. Also, not sure if this is normal because I've never had a war in heaven before, but the league of non-aligned planets wasn't an actual federation. My allies just got a diplomacy bonus with me. After the war was over somebody asked to join and then suddenly it was a real federation, but just the two of us.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Found possible bug or exploit? If you start with syncretic evolution - machinist probably too but haven't tried - and get the old gods eventchain and choose to restructure society at the end of it, it gives you the divine mandate and police state civics, replacing whatever you had previously. INCLUDING the otherwise irreplaceable syncretic evolution civic.

In fact I had three civics at the time and it removed all three and replaced it with just two. Also removed all my factions when it changed my state ethics.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dongattack posted:

Unrelated, anyone got a mod to recommend that makes defence stations good/useful?

I've found that Ship Power Stations tweaked to remove or drastically reduce the minimum build radii works well. Bear in mind this also adds power plants to ships, not just stations, so everything ends up with more shields and power to spare for capacitors and the like. Fortresses end up with something like 2k fleet power, and a cluster of half a dozen of those won't stop a blob but it will mean that the attacker has to actually try.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Habits posted:

Having The Unbidden respond to your ruler being the Chosen One was a nice touch. The Cybrex event chain failing in the same game after this many patches, not so much.

It's weird because prior to Utopia I had no issue with finishing the chains if I got out there and surveyed. Since then, it's back to the days of permanent 4/6.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

It's weird because prior to Utopia I had no issue with finishing the chains if I got out there and surveyed. Since then, it's back to the days of permanent 4/6.

I'm at 0/6 in my current game 80 years in. I also had a 45 year stretch of finding zero anomalies, and I have gotten 3 events saying someone found a precursor site on a world that didn't spawn an anomaly. It's kind of amazing at this point how these things have remained broken/somehow get worse each time the game is updated.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I wish your ethics and civics would give you a handful of possible government types you choose from, having a single point of Militarist turning all my governments into military dictatorships is annoying.

It also gets annoying when you realize that government type determines the ruler's cloths and hair after your 1st ruler. You can change titles at creation which will stick until you change your government enough, but not with cloths or hair. With the human and elf portraits it means everyone gets buzz cuts with a military government. The human rulers will also wear the green army uniform. Not very regal for a Star Empire, and I would rather have the navy blues/hair for other military governments. It can be modded but it's a lot of little lines to change for the human hair/clothes files. I am spoiled with the CKII ruler designer and variety.

It's a neat little detail though. Government type (default, military, peaceful, spiritual, and materialist) all have their own ruler clothes/hair combos for portraits with enough options. Even humans have regal names that get more weight for Imperial governments. Also Imperial heirs keep the last name of the ruler and will keep track of the number of rulers with the same name.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Had a game the other day where I found all of the Cybrex artifacts, but researching the anomaly on the destroyed ringworld did nothing. Cybrex Alpha remained in my situation log, no unity, nothing.

Also anyone else having performance issues now? Before the expansion I'd run at a solid 60 fps until late game, now just staring at the galaxy map after even a single colony I'm getting random drops to sub-10 frames per second. It bounces up and down constantly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Pah. I was hoping that armageddon bombardment would effectively allow destroying a planet from orbit, but it's laughable ineffective for that. Can't even destroy a building after six months of bombardment, much less a pop.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

had a goofy situation in a war to vassalize someone. kept trying to move my fleet to attack their homeworld but for some reason they weren't moving. finally realised it was because their homeworlds airspace was completely taken up by various civilian ships so i had to target those.

once they were taken care of, my fleet started to fly away from the planet to attack something. when i looked at what they were attacking, every civilian ship that dude had was just piling into the system. i must have killed like 10 scientists and at 15ish constructors.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, the Prethoryn invaded and it was not impressive.

First the vanguard arrived and I noticed all the fleet names were like SCOURGE_NAME_VANGUARD or something to similar effect. I stomped one of the little vanguard fleets and then the second wave arrived immediately after. I beat up like four or five of the second wave fleets (about 38k apiece) with my one fleet, which dropped from ~35k to ~25k in the process as the corvettes and a handful of destroyers died. Cleaned one of the two planets they were trying to infest, while three of their infestors somehow wandered halfway across the galaxy and managed to die to a fortress of mine I had built on a whim.

At this point there was a fleet of 80k+ bombarding one of my colonies and the one remaining infested planet was behind several of their fleets, so I figured I better bring in some more ships before taking them on. So while waiting for the huge conga line of reinforcements to trickle in I was going to blow some of their constructors and infestors (who were just standing in place doing fuckall), but before I could even do that I suddenly got an event box informing me that the scourge had been defeated, and all of their fleets just winked out of existence. :effort: My total losses were 30 corvettes, 8 destroyers, a few mining/research stations and a single building that was destroyed in the bombardment. Like, I'm not even sure what happened, though I'm guessing that one of my neighbours managed to cleanse the other planet that was getting infested and that was it.

Then later a materialist FE awakened because they wanted to save the galaxy from the Scourge. Too bad I can't tell them they were like two years late. :downs:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just got a 57 meg update.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Preechr posted:

Is that whole thing about genemodding species to be delicious a joke? I don't remember.

It's one of the advanced traits you can modify a species with if you go full-on genetic mastery. The tech from taking the second genetic perk basically allows you to completely rewrite a species and add advanced traits, one of which is being delicious.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Korgan posted:

Oh this is bullshit I can't upgrade the science ship you get when your scientists get sucked into a dimensional portal anymore. Worst patch ever 6/10.

Also had a pretty great start on an earlier game.

All those green planets are Alpine worlds, or perfect worlds for my species. There was also a Gaia world just to the left of them I hadn't found in that screenshot. Pretty solid base to expand from I thi-

poo poo.

Do the militant isolationists always get pissy at you for building out so far from them? First time I've ever started next to them.

Militant isolationists absolutely hate frontier outposts. A colony there or even closer should have been fine, but frontier outposts in their general direction make them immediately demand that it be dismantled for whatever reason.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Doubleposting to put up the hotfix notes:

quote:

##############################################################
##########################HOTFIX 1.5.1##########################
##############################################################

###################
Bugfix
###################
* Fixed a couple rare crashes
* Fixed Server ID not being auto-filled when joining a multiplayer game
* Ironman now saves properly when exiting to main menu
* Ironman games now properly show an icon to mark them as ironman
* Fixed a bug where a hotjoining player without the Utopia DLC could not pick countries that used Utopia features
* Fixed a bug that was causing nerve stapled pops to never be enslaved
* Fixed Philosopher King civic not applying to your starting ruler
* Fixed AI weights for Megastructures
* Fixed: Tooltips for sectors were in wrong order
* Megastructures can no longer be built around planets/stars with Anomalies
* Fixed improper reference to game mechanic (pops) in event texts
* Fixed an issue with movement arrows acting strange when lots of orders had been queued
* Hive Mind will now stop processing pops of other species when they're gene-modded to gain the Hive Mind trait
* Fixed randomized species sometimes being generated with the Uplifted trait
* Players can no longer reform governments to have invalid civics
* Pop faction promotion/suppression modifiers are now removed when the faction is destroyed
* Fixed out-of-sync where killed ships had their movement updated
* Infested planets no longer destroyed
* Fixed issue preventing multiple pops migrating to a planet at the same time
* Fixed missing text for the news feed in the launcher
* Fixed Chemical Bliss living standard accidentally requiring the Utopia expansion
* Fixed bug where robotic species could not be picked to play when hotjoining a multiplayer game
* Fixed a bug where timed modifiers on factions would never update
* Fixed sector tooltip displaying "Planning to construct none" for spaceport constructions.
* Texture optimization for megastructures
* Synthetic rebel leaders are now properly assigned names
* Fixed game getting stuck after game over, continuing in observer mode

###################
Interface
###################
* Fixed overflow bug causing ethic attraction to show wrong values
* Fixed faction demand displaying wrong tooltip
* Fixed missing species class-related descriptors for Robots
* Adjusted AI Citizen Rights tooltip
* Added some missing/broken texts
* Added missing modifier and tech icons

###################
AI
###################
* Fixed bug where AI cancelled fleet order to attack hostiles within borders

###################
Modding
###################
* on_modification_complete is executed after changing the species of all affected pops and after updating the empire's founder species (if applicable). Fix FROM (species) scope of that event not working.
* Fixed an issue where a set_citizenship_type effect missing the country reference
* Fixed an issue where you were not able to override specific defines in the common/defines files

###################
Performance
###################
* Fixed a memory leak with potential pop factions

No mention of achievements, though they did run over some of the things that I found kind of annoying like the hive mind genemodding still purging pops.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I had cordial relations with a xenophobic isolationist empire, and was guaranteeing their independence. They had their borders closed to me (and everyone else).
They were attacked, which brought me in to the war on their side, but I was still unable to enter their territory to defend it, and they lost the war.

That must be a bug, surely

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I don't know; seems like an appropriate punishment for an empire stubborn enough to eschew engagement with its protectors.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just wanted to keep them independent until I was in a position to collect them myself, before they were absorbed by and mixed with the ugly aliens next to them :(

On an unrelated note: if anyone uses the Reworked Planets mod, I've got it working in 1.5 (it was crashing the game on launch). I've posted the pastebin links to the changes needed in the comments section, but in case the author takes their time getting around to fixing it, extract the mod to your local mods folder and replace the contents of the following files:
  • Replace reworked planets\interface\reworked_customize_species_editors.gui with this
  • Replace reworked planets\common\terraform\02_special_terraform_links.txt with this

Mister Bates posted:

Flavor, basically. There's a roughly equal amount of every planet type in any given galaxy, from what I've seen. It will effect which planets you can colonize, obviously, but there are many ways around that restriction.

That's what I like about Reworked Planets. It shifts habitability from the half-assed system Stellaris currently uses to a two-axis model (humidity and temperature). Terraforming costs are also adjusted so it's more expensive and more time-consuming the further you shift a planet on its habitability axes. It also makes your home planet choice slightly more meaningful. Continental (centre of the grid, mild on both axes) gives you immediate 60% habitability on the neighbouring four planet types, but only 20% on the "corner" types. "Edge" types (mild on one axis, extreme on the other) give you 60% on three neighbouring types, and a marginal 40% on two more. Starting from a "corner" world gives you innate 60% on only two immediate neighbours and 40% on three more beyond those, but it gives you 90% on your home type, meaning you don't need much research before you get 100% without any bonus structures.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 12, 2017

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Achievements appear to be fixed with the new patch.

Am I completely locked out of even the basic mining robots with Spirituality or have I just been unlucky with my first few starting tech choices?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I like this randomly generated system. Two infested worlds and a tomb world, all in the same orbit with a bunch of wreckage scattered in the rest of the system, all being studied by the curators. Very nice.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
From Jamor over on the Paradox forums.

quote:

Hey all. We tested achievements in 1.5.1, and just retested them now: they work on our end. Our *hope* was that the fix would apply retroactively to older saves, but that doesn't appear to be the case. We're not sure at this time if it's something on our side, or relating to the Steam backend. Achievement unlocking is tied to specific conditions in your save file that reloading in a new version doesn't recreate, sadly.

I know it's not ideal, and we sincerely hope we haven't invalidated your play experience thus far. What I can say is new saves started in 1.5.1 should get you achievements as normal.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GotLag posted:

On an unrelated note: if anyone uses the Reworked Planets mod, I've got it working in 1.5 (it was crashing the game on launch). I've posted the pastebin links to the changes needed in the comments section, but in case the author takes their time getting around to fixing it, extract the mod to your local mods folder and replace the contents of the following files:
  • Replace reworked planets\interface\reworked_customize_species_editors.gui with this
  • Replace reworked planets\common\terraform\02_special_terraform_links.txt with this

Do you know offhand if Reworked Planets works with Guilli's Planet Modifiers?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Prism posted:

I know for a fact it works :)

My mod is designed in such a way it will work with virtually all mods. Only if a mod adds new planets that I have to make some adjustments to my mod (add in the planet_class in the scripts).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Guilliman posted:

I know for a fact it works :)

My mod is designed in such a way it will work with virtually all mods. Only if a mod adds new planets that I have to make some adjustments to my mod (add in the planet_class in the scripts).

Sweet. Thank you! Your mod looked like it would play nice but I've been burned by mod interactions enough to always check.

Edit: Doesn't matter, can't figure out how to edit the Reworked Planets mod for 1.5 as I can't find the mod in ~Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod - there's nothing there but some .mod files I don't know what to do with.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Prism posted:

Sweet. Thank you! Your mod looked like it would play nice but I've been burned by mod interactions enough to always check.

Edit: Doesn't matter, can't figure out how to edit the Reworked Planets mod for 1.5 as I can't find the mod in ~Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod - there's nothing there but some .mod files I don't know what to do with.

Need to look in the steam workshop folder. For reworked planets it's :

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\281990\794246891
281990 = stellaris ID
794246891 = mod ID, can find this by googling the stellaris + workshop + mod name (the number will be in the webadress)

It'll be a zip file. You can probably edit anything in there and play with it. You'll lose your edits if the mod gets updated on steam though.

Alternatively you can extract the zip into it's own mod folder in Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod\<modname>

Don't forget to add the proper <modname>.mod file in ...\stellaris\mod
And add the proper descriptor.mod in ...\Stellaris\mod\<modname>

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 12, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Prism posted:

I just had a quick look at the description page on Steam and the one vanilla file it says it overwrites is not in Reworked Planets, so it should be perfectly compatible.

Edit: that's what I get for not refreshing.

Edit 2: Extract this file to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod
That's a copy of the mod with the fix included, it will appear in your mods list as "Reworked Planets (Local)"

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 12, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Redchaostry posted:

From Jamor over on the Paradox forums.

Well that sucks :smith:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gadzuko posted:

Had a weird game just now. I got a war in heaven crisis, and told them both to gently caress off so that I could lead the league against them, but then before the actual war kicked off the Unbidden rolled in on the other side of the galaxy. I thought you could only get one crisis? I started up the league and all the empires chose sides and everything but neither of the fallen empires ever declared war on me. I ended up killing off the unbidden first, then both empires, and when I declared war on them their vassals never joined the fight. Also, not sure if this is normal because I've never had a war in heaven before, but the league of non-aligned planets wasn't an actual federation. My allies just got a diplomacy bonus with me. After the war was over somebody asked to join and then suddenly it was a real federation, but just the two of us.
This happened to me, if you don't have the Diplomacy tradition to form federations the prompts to form the League of Non-Aligned Planets will do nothing instead.

Also, having beaten both AE's as the League all their subjets are still in war against each other and no event fired off after I won against the second AE.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Guilliman posted:

Need to look in the steam workshop folder. For reworked planets it's :

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\281990\794246891
281990 = stellaris ID
794246891 = mod ID, can find this by googling the stellaris + workshop + mod name (the number will be in the webadress)

It'll be a zip file. You can probably edit anything in there and play with it. You'll lose your edits if the mod gets updated on steam though.

Huh, okay. This is exactly where the Stellaris wiki tells you not to edit them! [edit: no it's not, though it does still say to use the Documents one]

Seems to have worked though, so thank you.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 12, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nordick posted:

Then later a materialist FE awakened because they wanted to save the galaxy from the Scourge. Too bad I can't tell them they were like two years late. :downs:
Same thing with me, Unbidden showed up during War in Heaven, I showed them to the door, a few years later some other FE wakes up to become the guardian of the galaxy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Guilliman posted:

And add the proper descriptor.mod in ...\Stellaris\mod\<modname>

As I understand it descriptor.mod is created by Stellaris and you only need to have that on your end if you want to update a mod of your own that's already on the workshop. All you need to make it show up in the launcher menu is [mod name].mod - I leave it out/remove it when I'm extracting mods to make my own adjustments, and they work no problems.

Prism posted:

Huh, okay. This is exactly where the Stellaris wiki tells you not to edit them!

Seems to have worked though, so thank you.

This is because if the mod updates, the zip here will be replaced with the new version. But in this case that shouldn't matter, because the new case is going to be the fixed version anyway.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

This happened to me, if you don't have the Diplomacy tradition to form federations the prompts to form the League of Non-Aligned Planets will do nothing instead.

Also, having beaten both AE's as the League all their subjets are still in war against each other and no event fired off after I won against the second AE.

Really? Surely this must be a bug. Or at least something that should be called out when you get the popup to act as leader. 'You can declare yourself leader of the League, but since you've been a dick to everyone the whole game everyone will basically ignore you."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Aethernet posted:

Really? Surely this must be a bug. Or at least something that should be called out when you get the popup to act as leader. 'You can declare yourself leader of the League, but since you've been a dick to everyone the whole game everyone will basically ignore you."

It's probably a bug but honestly I like your solution better. "You call for the formation of a non-aligned league, but since you use the wrong level of second-person pronoun formality nobody listens."

Edit: "and the colour of your tie so offended the Bessadon Primarch he involuntarily bit the head off his favourite cleaning-slave." 100-point negative opinion modifier.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 12, 2017

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?

The "Lucas" update can introduce galactic trade routes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Lucas update would have to be accompanied by a number of behind-the-scenes updates nobody remembers, that make its features actually work and be fun.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well the star in the center of the galaxy went away when I reloaded my save, so either that was a bug or it was. Although a map type with the galactic core as some kind of densely ultra habitable region that you need to progress sufficiently to explore would be dope as heck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, I've fiddled with it a bunch but I cannot take any traits and save

e: are some traits and other choices incompatible and it doesn't show on the interface?

If you're making a hive mind, some are disabled. Mouse over "next" on the traits step to see which of yours are problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GotLag posted:

I've found that Ship Power Stations tweaked to remove or drastically reduce the minimum build radii works well. Bear in mind this also adds power plants to ships, not just stations, so everything ends up with more shields and power to spare for capacitors and the like. Fortresses end up with something like 2k fleet power, and a cluster of half a dozen of those won't stop a blob but it will mean that the attacker has to actually try.

There's no mention of the station radius effect on the mod page, it seems to just describe a much better power system. You sure it's from this mod? Either way, checking this out. Will it work for a game in progress?

• Locked thread