Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Ahaaa, how do you hunt down a Pope and force him to accept land?

Give a Catholic courtier the duchy of Latium, and then set him free. The AI will always take the decision to restore the Pope to Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Suddenly had the bright idea to just filter characters with the keyword "sympathy" to see if I could spot any trends. It's pretty much just sympathy for Zoroastrianism. A sprinkle of sympathy for Judaism and Pagans.

After a few decades the number of Catholics with Sympathy for Zoroastrianism has rapidly increased, so our cult has made the jump to infiltrating Christian nations. The King of Denmark is now also a secret Zoroastrian. The King of Africa briefly was as well but died before he could convert his heir. The new Sunni Caliph is sadly just Sunni.

The only other cult I could spot was among the openly practicing Zoroastrians in Egypt. There's a lot of people with Sympathy for Islam, suggests there's an Islamic religious cult at work. Not everyone was happy about the return of Ahura Mazda worship!

EDIT: The Leader of the Loyal Magi, a courtier in my realm, just Openly Adopted the Faith and flipped me and my Empire into open worship. Neat! All the provinces got converted, and majority of my vassals. Let's see if the Reformed Zunists start their own underground movement!

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 11, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I'm so glad secret cults are becoming more proactive. It's a really cool mechanic.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

2.7.1 beta secret religion stuff
That sounds awesome, though 75% of the population being secret X might be pushing things (at that point why the hell are you still secret), so that probably needs some tuning.
Any word on when the official 2.7.1 will be making it out anywhere?

Just started playing after probably a year long pause, skipping RIP and picked up Monks Mystics instead.
In the hermetic society, each member builds their own lab right, its not inherited?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Welp, Real Cool Catfish just sold me on M&M because that's some extremely awesome poo poo!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, so I started as the Satrap of Tabriz in 769 and somehow I've managed to create the Kingdom of Persia while still being an Abbasid vassal. I'm gonna try to become Saoshyant eventually. Right now I'm building up power within the Abbasid Empire and becoming the biggest nastiest superduke I can be.

I'm on-track to expand and independence revolt, but what do I do about the Mongols? There's a constant worry that they're gonna come in and curbstomp me, and the more I expand the more likely I am to become a target. I've got about 300 years to prepare.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
the mongols are the absolute least and last of your worries as the game likely won't last long enough for them to be a hassle and if they are then you should probably be in a position to take them on easily enough

a better question would be: what did you set Turkic Conquerors to? :getin:

fakeedit: or if you are near the date, just go into India; it ain't that hard and they rarely go there.

or you can swear fealty~

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone have suggestions for mods for a co-op/multiplayer game (or suggestions to avoid mods)? For example I kind of want to to use CK2+, as all the additions are cool and good but it does slow the game down so I'm not sure it would be great for a multiplayer game.

A few friends are looking at starting a multiplayer game where we can move the save file around depending on who may be playing that day. None of us are hardcore CK2 players.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mister Adequate posted:

Welp, Real Cool Catfish just sold me on M&M because that's some extremely awesome poo poo!

Yeah M&M is really good. I really hope they add more societies (especially for the W. Africans who have literally none :( because W. Africans get the shaft forever I guess)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

Man I'm so glad secret cults are becoming more proactive. It's a really cool mechanic.

it actually sucks.

there's no way to permanently say no to a secret religion, there's no limit on how many people you can invite, and there's no repurcussions to a failed invitation. as long as a single ruler with a secret religion is present in a realm, they can spam everyone with invitations until they eventually accept.

the worst part is there's no way to stop this. burning people at the stake will barely make a dent on the secret religion population. as the roman emperor of all of europe, africa and the middle east, with orthodox authority at 100% and catholicism a forgotten heresy, literally every one of my vassals is a secret catholic, and there's no way to stop it.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah, but they are secretly Catholic much like how today we have people claiming to follow the Norse Pantheon. They are just doing it ironically to seem cool.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Oh I'm not trying to say it doesn't need a good hard balancing pass. But the way I see it, before members of secret cults did very little to propagate the religion. So if the current experimental branch is crazy-go-nuts on spreading the secret faith, I'm hoping the eventual patch release is some kind of middle ground. I'd like to see repercussions for failed attempts and whatnot. But honestly even if nothing changed with secret religions just members actively schooling and inducting their children in the faith would be a massive step in the right direction. At least that way when you convert and induct a dude there's a good chance that their heirs will be members as well, that kind of thing.

But yeah it def seems too strong in the current experimental branch, but to me that's a step in the right direction because I'm sure PDox will tune it down a bit or at least introduce some kind of backlash to outing yourself as a secret cultist via a recruitment attempt. Either way I think the secret cults are a really cool mechanic and deserve continued balancing until we reach the point where members of the cult (besides just you :argh:) make efforts to expand the cult, starting with their own children and maybe attempting to convert/induct people who're friends or have favorable opinion and such. Like I said just NPCs consistently schooling and inducting their children into the secret religion would be a massive leap. As it stands it's pretty much up to you to make sure the secret religion survives by both making sure you heir is at least a secret adherent of the religion if not a member of the cult. Otherwise the odds of another secret cult member actually trying to convert/induct you are basically nil.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully between the shitshow it currently is and the overpowered experimental branch, they'll find some sort of medium. Iunno man, I just really want to see this mechanic flourish because it can allow some amazing poo poo to happen, and frankly is as close to a theocracy as we'll ever get in CK2 imo (beyond the fylkirate).

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 11, 2017

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
When the patch drops I will start a family wreath of Zoro's

imagine how much easier it will be to get Genius and Strong on one babby :barf:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think you just need some way to counter secret religious cults. Once a community is established I don't think it ever goes away, so over time a realm will gradually be filled. Same with the spamming people to join up. Finding and burning the occasional apostate isn't going to cut it.

Maybe a ruler can get an event where the court chaplain tells him about a dangerous cult operating in the realm.

Have the options:

Ignore him
Announce a clampdown on the cult, preventing conversion and communities for 5 years (like realm peace)
Full Blown Inquisition, costing a chunk of change yearly and reducing levy size whilst it's functioning, but will destroy communities and round up secret cult members en masse. Maybe unlanded cult members get a chance to flee to another realm, and landed ones get the option to rebel.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My odd political and religious landscape:

Persia is my custom Empire. Previously called Kingdom of the Sun but that didn't quite fit once I'd been switched to Zoroastrianism. Working on forming the actual Empire of Persia so I can restore the high priesthood and we'll have both the Zunist and Zoro heads in the game.

A while back I gave the Knights of the Sun the chunk of Mesopotamia I won during the first Zunist Great Holy War, granted them independence and destroyed the King of Mesopotamia title. Learnt in the past not to give a king level title to a holy order since it's inherited differently to the holy order. They then did the most work in the 2nd great holy war because at the time I was more interested in India and only sent a token amount of troops.

Course now all the cult stuff has happened I'd be a lot closer to forming the Empire of Persia if I hadn't made them independent, but when I did it I didn't know all the cult stuff was going to happen! If Zunist MA stays high enough for Great Holy Wars now I've left, it'll be interesting to see how big the Knights of the Sun can get. They're already a powerhouse with their free holy order since they're surrounded by infidels on all sides.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Man, I had forgotten how crazy Muslim games could be. I'm playing a Shia muslim dynasty starting in 867 to try out the Assassins secret society. I was able to recreate the Shia Caliphate, which does some weird things with inheritance where I end up playing as my grandchildren sometimes and sometimes I end up playing as my children. It's more fun not to know 100% what's going on and how to recover from who's inheriting what, IMO, so I don't look up the mechanics.

Anyway, I had a situation where a grandfather was the Shia Caliph and king of Mauretania , he pushed a claim so that his son could be the king of Andalusia, When he died, I ended up playing as the 12 year old grandson as Caliph and king of Mauretania. No big deal, I thought, I'll just ally with dad and *make sure* that I'm the one that inherits Andalusia. Things are going fine, my dynasty's decadence is staying at 0%, my regent is a nice person who says yes to about everything i say, so I'm able to arrange engagements and make non-agression pacts. Dad starts a stupid holy war for one county and gets curbstomped by 30,000 christian troops. Yeah ok dad, that war was a great idea, I'm sure MY troops will get there and help you with that lost cause, uh, any day now.

When my guy turns 16, I send him on a Hajj to Mecca, and most of my attention is there. When he comes back, I start checking the stats on my family statistics and...What the gently caress?!! Our decadence had shot up to 15% and my dad was now a Sheik instead of a Sultan. Looking at his character page, he had become a lustful hedonist adulterer with 4 wives, 3 girlfriends, 1 illegitimate child, and 5 male rivals. What the gently caress, dad? The new sultan was one of the guys he had cuckolded...so at -100 opinion, the had started a faction to install himself...not a hard thing to do when dad had hosed the wives of THREE OF THE EMIRS and gotten caught. At this point, I'm thinking there's nothing for it but to do an honor killing of my dad and inherit the claim to push it myself. Ironically, the grandfather had tried to recruit dad into the Assassins at 16, and dad had refused because people willing to die for their beliefs were too crazy of fanatics for him. Well, jokes on you dad, your son's a "crazy fanatic" willing to kill or be killed for the glory of Islam.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

Yeah, but they are secretly Catholic much like how today we have people claiming to follow the Norse Pantheon. They are just doing it ironically to seem cool.
i can assure you my good man, that most of the modern norse pagans are not exactly what you'd call cool

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

i can assure you my good man, that most of the modern norse pagans are not exactly what you'd call cool

It is just easier to say "cool" instead of having them explaining to you how most axes/armors/battles/drinking horns/whatever shown on tv and movies aren't realistic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

It is just easier to say "cool" instead of having them explaining to you how most axes/armors/battles/drinking horns/whatever shown on tv and movies aren't realistic.
the vikingboos aren't solely the norse tho

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Haven't played CK2 since just before Horse Lords, I think. Definitely post-Charlemagne. Anyways, listening to Three Moves Ahead today convinced me to come back if for no other reason than the fact that somehow Paradox made a connection back to Sunset Invasion in Monks & Mystics that makes it actually legitimate to ask if you should turn Sunset Invasion on. Sometimes it's just the little things.

Now to learn how to loving play CK2 again. God drat it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

nessin posted:

Haven't played CK2 since just before Horse Lords, I think. Definitely post-Charlemagne. Anyways, listening to Three Moves Ahead today convinced me to come back if for no other reason than the fact that somehow Paradox made a connection back to Sunset Invasion in Monks & Mystics that makes it actually legitimate to ask if you should turn Sunset Invasion on. Sometimes it's just the little things.

Oh thanks, didn't know a new 3MA was up today!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a recommended DLC core for new players? I picked up the game in a bundle like a year ago and bounced right off it, and am thinking I would like to pick it up again. However i bought the game it came with sons of abraham and way of life, i guess, because those are both installed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'd recommend everything except Sunset Invasion and Conclave, because all they do is make the game harder. But wait until there's a sale on before picking them up. Try out what you've got already and see if you enjoy it or not because more DLC won't change anything.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Is there a recommended DLC core for new players? I picked up the game in a bundle like a year ago and bounced right off it, and am thinking I would like to pick it up again. However i bought the game it came with sons of abraham and way of life, i guess, because those are both installed.

Here's my ranking from best to worst. This is just a personal opinion though, YMMV.

Excellent - Don't play without them:
1. The Reaper's Due. I've played many hours since it was released, and the new disease and epidemic systems really do add a lot to the game.
2. Legacy of Rome. Retinues have been nerfed hard from their glory days, but they're still useful.
3. Conclave. The new council mechanics are the big draw here, making your vassals more of a pain to deal with.
4. Way of Life. Brings more life to the characters.
5. Sons of Abraham. This DLC is basically a giant events pack, and can blend seamlessly into the base game.

Decent - These are good and worth buying, but you can skip them if you must:
6. Horse Lords. This DLC is the only way to get the Nomadic government type to appear in-game, which changes a lot even if you're not playing a Nomad yourself.
7. Ruler Designer. I play more designed characters than historical ones.
8. Monks and Mystics. Since release, I've been playing as a Germanic pagan with Satanists turned off, so for me this is mainly useful for the artifact-giving events.
9. Charlemagne. The Chronicle and story events for Charlemagne himself are a bit of a non-starter. However, Viceroys have their uses, and the new, earlier start date is good too.
10. The Old Gods. New start dates are always a plus, but I don't really play Pagans and Zoroastrians, so TOG is a bit light on features for me.

Meh - You can take these or leave them:
11. Customization Pack. I occasionally rename titles and edit my current character's appearance, but this is not exactly a meaty DLC.
12. Sunset Invasion. The Aztec invasion was fun the first time; it just became annoying the second time. I usually turn this one off.
13. EU IV Converter. I really do intend to use this someday, if I can ever finish a game.
14. Rajas of India. I never play Indian rulers, so *shrug*.
15. Sword of Islam. Same as RoI, I never play Muslims.
16. The Republic. I like having a merchant republic or two as vassals, but to play as them? No.

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Has anyone gotten that "Have trade posts in 80 provinces" Steam achievement before? I have 27 and I'm way past my limit because male family members keep dying off. I try to seduce tons of women, invite lots of women to my court just to gently caress them and even have that nice Satanic fertility bonus but it's tough to keep up. I feel like the Republic DLC coming out before The Reaper's Due makes it harder, because all these lethal epidemics are a new thing and they kill my trade post limit. The Black Death is gonna be interesting. I haven't seen it before.

Do I want to give out land to the other patrician families? I guess I would want them to be more powerful so they can have more trade posts? I just conquered Tunisia in a holy war so I have lots of land to give out. The only other surviving republic in the Mediterranean is Pisa, and I guess I would want to seize some of their posts as well, but that would take a long time having to just snipe them off one by one over many decades.

Also there's that other achievement for owning all the silk route ports in India as a European merchant republic. I wonder how you would do that. They're too drat far away.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The distance doesn't really matter once you have merchant republic cash and a mercenary standing army.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kenzie posted:

Also there's that other achievement for owning all the silk route ports in India as a European merchant republic. I wonder how you would do that. They're too drat far away.

Indian kingdoms build tradeposts themselves on those ports, you just need to seize them(siege their provinces and kill armies but but don't siege the posts themself, if you do they're destroyed and war invalidates).
If you don't have the diplomatic range to declare on them you can swear fealty to whatever empire borders India, take land there then break free again.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nessin posted:

Yup. Apparently, if you have a devilspawn child, they have a chance of running off to the New World, seizing control of the Aztec Empire, and returning to kick your rear end. That said I would wait for the next patch if you want to see this, because right now this event completely ignores whatever pregame rules you set for the Sunset Invasion start date and someone else's demonspawn can set it off in literally the first year.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you allow supernatural events for everyone you get other immortals and yeah, other Spawn across teh ocean.

Kenzie posted:

Has anyone gotten that "Have trade posts in 80 provinces" Steam achievement before? I have 27 and I'm way past my limit because male family members keep dying off. I try to seduce tons of women, invite lots of women to my court just to gently caress them and even have that nice Satanic fertility bonus but it's tough to keep up. I feel like the Republic DLC coming out before The Reaper's Due makes it harder, because all these lethal epidemics are a new thing and they kill my trade post limit. The Black Death is gonna be interesting. I haven't seen it before.

Do I want to give out land to the other patrician families? I guess I would want them to be more powerful so they can have more trade posts? I just conquered Tunisia in a holy war so I have lots of land to give out. The only other surviving republic in the Mediterranean is Pisa, and I guess I would want to seize some of their posts as well, but that would take a long time having to just snipe them off one by one over many decades.

Never give land to the other families

keep teching up trade practices and having babies. If you really want more kids, then just convert to a religion that allows concubines or polygamy. Make sure you have a top tier doctor and everyone is married from the moment they adults

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yup. Apparently, if you have a devilspawn child, they have a chance of running off to the New World, seizing control of the Aztec Empire, and returning to kick your rear end. That said I would wait for the next patch if you want to see this, because right now this event completely ignores whatever pregame rules you set for the Sunset Invasion start date and someone else's demonspawn can set it off in literally the first year.

Wait, they're going to change that? That's the best part :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait, they're going to change that? That's the best part :(

Well, you can set your Sunset Invasion game rules to "Random" and it should work like it does now, right?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Demon Child going off to Aztecs also requires parents be dead/not playable and the kid being (IIRC) count or lower.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 12, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Kenzie posted:

If I remember correctly the other patricians trade posts in your republic count towards the 80 trade posts. So you don't have to get 80 all by yourself!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Never give land to the other families

Never? What if they're all really weak and I'm already at max centralization with a really large demesne? I'm maxed out at 11 holdings. I'm in the 1250s or so, have a pretty large army and retinue and a lot of money for mercs, enough to beat back the enormous Fatimid sultanate when I invaded Tunisia. I pretty much have absolute power and it doesn't seem like the other families would be a threat to me if I just gave one county or holding to each of the weaker families. None of the other families have more than 5 trade posts, and a lot of them have been wiped out and replaced by new, even weaker families over the course of the game. If the trade posts of the other families count towards that 80 goal, then giving them just a little bit more power so they could build more wouldn't be a bad thing right?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Never? What if they're all really weak and I'm already at max centralization with a really large demesne? I'm maxed out at 11 holdings. I'm in the 1250s or so, have a pretty large army and retinue and a lot of money for mercs, enough to beat back the enormous Fatimid sultanate when I invaded Tunisia. I pretty much have absolute power and it doesn't seem like the other families would be a threat to me if I just gave one county or holding to each of the weaker families. None of the other families have more than 5 trade posts, and a lot of them have been wiped out and replaced by new, even weaker families over the course of the game. If the trade posts of the other families count towards that 80 goal, then giving them just a little bit more power so they could build more wouldn't be a bad thing right?
The other families exist solely to gently caress you over and be a hassle. The moment they gain land and power they use it against you; the money goes into funding elections against you and bribing people to plot your assassination and makes their factions against you bigger.

It also doesn't really make them have more kids either, it maybe kicks them up a marriage tier moving from a barony equivalent but it's not ideal.

You can do it, but the advantages are few. Just gift them the money so they spend it only on trade posts rather than anything else. At the stage you're in a county probably won't be the end of the world though I suppose.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Once you're established, handing out land to the other families isn't that bad. From a pure power-gaming perspective you want to make them as weak as possible, but them having land isn't the end of the world.

Also, if you're really going to power-game it, you want to make sure you're Shiite (or secretly-Shiite) so you can join the Assassins. It makes killing off the other families so much easier when you can invite every member of the Assassins to your plots. Plus, once you eventually become Grandmaster you can create assassination missions against your rival patricians.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I tried playing Halfdan in the Old Gods start and I'm a little confused. I won the initial invasion and took Northumbria, I can't figure how to take enough land to form England. I have CBs to take one county at a time from my neighbors, but going one county at a time will take forever. I'm not Christian so it's hard to get claims via marriage. It seems really lame that Vikings don't have a better way to take big chunks of land. Am I missing something?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I tried playing Halfdan in the Old Gods start and I'm a little confused. I won the initial invasion and took Northumbria, I can't figure how to take enough land to form England. I have CBs to take one county at a time from my neighbors, but going one county at a time will take forever. I'm not Christian so it's hard to get claims via marriage. It seems really lame that Vikings don't have a better way to take big chunks of land. Am I missing something?
You mean the near at will crusade equivalent called the Prepared Invasion you get once per character?

Other than that, no. Until you reform you're stuck with your CB that lets you take literally any county within diplodistance that aint pagan.

Speaking of Prepared Invasions, there really should be an event that's run a month before hand asking if you want to auto-dec on the target. The fact that you might also have been raiding and whatnot and you can't dec if you have any troops raised is poo poo and it really shouldn't have all these finicky things to it.

Having to wait until the very last second is a stupid pain and missing it is dumb and embarassing. (and it even happened to the dev in a stream recently lol)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Kenzie posted:

Yup! The ways I know of that you can increase your trade post limit are having unlanded sons at court, increasing your Trade Practices technology under the Economy Advances section of technology, and purchasing certain upgrades for your family estate. It's been a while, but I believe you can declare war on a rival republic for one of their trade posts, even if you're at max trade posts yourself. Personally, I like to play a game where I grow to be the most powerful, but give my rival families and rival merchant republics some power so that they can grow...and I can take their stuff.

The most efficient way to get more sons, IMO, is when your character inherits, set them to the seduction focus, and make as many women lovers that live in your court as possible. Powergamey advice: The game tends to understandably optimize itself by decreasing fertility for distant family members, so micromanaging all of them can get frustrating, especially if all they're gonna have is 2 kids on average. I just marry the men to some random lustful woman the second they hit 16. If I have good intrigue and a good spymaster to protect me from murder plots, I seduce all their wives too, since it seems like there's a much higher chance my relatives will think the children are theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tried out the beta patch.

Somehow I got the "Satanism gives you arbitrary" event as a Hermetic

and now its giving me all the bad traits? wtf

• Locked thread