Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

i wish i had the kind of disposible income that i could start a business and get 3 years deferment

That part is dumb but it's not the only part. Cutting the rates in half wouldn't help you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

That part is dumb but it's not the only part. Cutting the rates in half wouldn't help you?

it doesn't make 40k disappear. it just makes it grow a little more slowly while i pay it off for the next 20 years

i don't even make enough to pay the interest on my loans right now, even when cut in half

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress is the government even allowed to profit off student loans at all? Just seems like extreme learned helplessness to be so grateful to get a small interest rate cut on the education you undertook to become more useful to capital

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

it doesn't make 40k disappear. it just makes it grow a little more slowly while i pay it off for the next 20 years
lol bernout.txt

call to action posted:

Why the gently caress is the government even allowed to profit off student loans at all? Just seems like extreme learned helplessness to be so grateful to get a small interest rate cut on the education you undertook to become more useful to capital
I agree, thankfully most will be private soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

i don't even make enough to pay the interest on my loans right now, even when cut in half

It would lower your payments and shorten your repayment period, therefore, helping you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

It would lower your payments and shorten your repayment period, therefore, helping you.

i am not on track to repaying it in 20 years, so good?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

i am not on track to repaying it in 20 years, so good?

Better than you're gonna get under Trump. If they cut your rates in half, your 20 year repayment might end up being 14 years or something like that. That isn't nothing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
None at all, he was a great president as is a great man.

It's not uncommon for power to switch from one party to another after 8 years of a president.

If anyone bears personal blame its hillary for running such a shamefully lazy and self-indulgent "campaign."

Bernie Sanders riling up of idiots and provoking quarrels didn't help either.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

hakimashou posted:

It's not uncommon for power to switch from one party to another after 8 years of a president.
In all of history, we've had 45 Presidents and modern political parties were basically wholly reinvented following the civil rights movement, there is effectively nothing that is common about interactions between US Presidential elections and the national parties (or really US Presidential elections in general).
edit:
Like nearly 3/4 of Presidents serve a single term or less, that doesn't really say anything about the likelihood of future Presidents to do anything.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 11, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

hakimashou posted:

None at all, he was a great president as is a great man.

If anyone bears personal blame its hillary for running such a shamefully lazy and self-indulgent "campaign."

Bernie Sanders riling up of idiots and provoking quarrels didn't help either.

We have never elected someone so blatantly unfit and incompetent as president before. You can throw what is "uncommon" out the window.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

mcmagic posted:

We have never elected someone so blatantly unfit and incompetent as president before. You can throw what is "uncommon" out the window.

Harding?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Was wondering where the democratic party not listening to their constiutents thread went. So why do we have this thread?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Was wondering where the democratic party not listening to their constiutents thread went. So why do we have this thread?

I wanted to discuss and find out more about Obama' failings and mistakes, but by Page 2 this thread headed right into Hillary discussion zone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Why are we even talking about their student loan plans? Hillary won every demographic that cares about them, by fairly large margins too.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JosephWongKS posted:

I wanted to discuss and find out more about Obama' failings and mistakes, but by Page 2 this thread headed right into Hillary discussion zone.

I mean there is a discussion to be had. But unless you ask for mod powers over the thread to keep us from turning it into a thread about Berniecrats vs Clintonites than this is what happens.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I assume it spiraled into the gas chamber like every other thread on the subject. You'd think after watching this pattern repeat so often, it would suggest there are more productive avenues of discussion, but this is D&D we're talking about here.

Obama's problem, broadly speaking, is that someone who's unemployed or trying to pay off their student loans working 29 hours a week as a barista probably doesn't care much that the National Labor Relations Board is staffed by dedicated professionals instead of psychopathic grifters. Sure, they'll agree the former is a better option if you offer them the choice, but it's not a great motivator to get out the door on Election Day. Good government matters. Good government is important. It's asinine to suggest otherwise. But--and this is the important part--it will not win you an election on its own.

How many of the party's current woes can be blamed on him personally depends on how much influence you think he's capable of exerting, because he's a loooooong way from being the worst of them. To use the obvious example, I believe not endorsing a single payer health plan was a mistake (because of 'that vision thing') but the lion's share of the blame for the ACA's shortcomings goes to shitheads like Joe Lieberman who held the process hostage until they got the handouts they wanted.

Edit: tell you what, OP, I'll do you one better
http://nymag.com/news/politics/obama-history-project/thomas-sugrue/
I linked my favorite, which is pessimistic but ultimately fair-minded. You are welcome to peruse the others, of which there are many. I can practically guarantee it'll be a better use of your time than following this thread.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Better than you're gonna get under Trump. If they cut your rates in half, your 20 year repayment might end up being 14 years or something like that. That isn't nothing.

yeah, i already said hillary's policy was better than trump's, so i dunno why you keep bringing it up. cause i also said her policy wasn't good enough and that's why she lost to trump. and no, my current hope is to run out the clock on my loans, so hillary's policy wasn't gonna make an appreciable difference.

if hillary wanted to win she needed policy that excited her base. donald trump threw tons of red meat to his base, and that's why they got out and voted for him enough to beat hillary. if she had done similar, he'd have lost completely, but she was too dumb for that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and before another idiot says her policy didn't matter, a bernie dem just got 6 points away from taking ks-04 from the republicans for the first time in decades.

with no loving support from the kdp or the dnc. centrism is worthless. leftism is the way forward. it's official

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I realize this request is almost 20 years too late, but someone needs to channel early '00 SA and create a leftist "cuck" meme because holy poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I realize this request is almost 20 years too late, but someone needs to channel early '00 SA and create a leftist "cuck" meme because holy poo poo.

In the minds of most leftists, "neoliberal" is the highest insult they can muster.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah but neolibs are just like "don't kink shame". How do you shame the shameless?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah but neolibs are just like "don't kink shame". How do you shame the shameless?

Grainy video of representatives being executed by antifa squads on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial amidst the fires of the last days of capitalism.

If that's not your thing I would suggest visiting town halls.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

dont even fink about it posted:

In the minds of most leftists, "neoliberal" is the highest insult they can muster.

There's also scab, which in some places is still fighting words.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

lol kulak

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

and before another idiot says her policy didn't matter, a bernie dem just got 6 points away from taking ks-04 from the republicans for the first time in decades.

with no loving support from the kdp or the dnc. centrism is worthless. leftism is the way forward. it's official

In what way was he a Bernie dem he didn't advocate any policy significantly to the left of the democratic mainstream, and he ran his campaign as anti-brownback but notably not anti-trump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

In what way was he a Bernie dem he didn't advocate any policy significantly to the left of the democratic mainstream, and he ran his campaign as anti-brownback but notably not anti-trump.

http://www.votejamesthompson.com/issues

he supported raising the minimum wage so he was way to the left of the dem mainstream. he also supported trying to foster job growth in kansas, rather than depopulating the state and relocating the populace to new york or los angeles, so yet again he's leftist compared to the dem mainstream

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Raising the minimum wage is entirely the mainstream democratic position though? There's a debate about how much we should raise it but "raise the minimum wage" is like 95%+ with democrats in congress. As is "increase jobs in my district". His website also mentions nothing about healthcare except for veterans and seniors. He didn't run a leftist campaign. Nor should he.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Raising the minimum wage is entirely the mainstream democratic position though? There's a debate about how much we should raise it but "raise the minimum wage" is like 95%+ with democrats in congress. As is "increase jobs in my district". His website also mentions nothing about healthcare except for veterans and seniors. He didn't run a leftist campaign. Nor should he.

no, voting down minimum wage increases is the mainstream dem position. please try to keep in reality land. sorry that obviously good policy exists outside the realm of mainstream democratic thought, but that's the dire straights we find ourselves in nowadays

mainstream dem positions are more like support our fascist president in going to war cause dems have a boner for military adventures

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Typo posted:

also lol

hillary literally lost the temperament argument to a man who rambled like a retard on national debate stage

This needs to be on every page of this thread. :laffo:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to talk about Tom Perez and the DNC failing to support a good Berniecrat like Thompson do it in the "Will the Democratic Party represent its base?" Thread.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alienwarehouse posted:

This needs to be on every page of this thread. :laffo:

Since I'm dumb, what exactly am I supposed to be noticing from that chart? The fact that more Republicans thought Trump had a good temperament than Democrats thought Hillary did, or that he had more people say "Yes" overall?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Ytlaya posted:

Since I'm dumb, what exactly am I supposed to be noticing from that chart? The fact that more Republicans thought Trump had a good temperament than Democrats thought Hillary did, or that he had more people say "Yes" overall?

It means that people hated Hillary so much that literally more Americans thought an orange pissbaby serial sexual assaulter conman had a better temperament to be president than her.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

RasperFat posted:

It means that people hated Hillary so much that literally more Americans thought an orange pissbaby serial sexual assaulter conman had a better temperament to be president than her.

most americans are idiots, agreed op

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

If you want to talk about Tom Perez and the DNC failing to support a good Berniecrat like Thompson do it in the "Will the Democratic Party represent its base?" Thread.

Do everything in every thread actually, because the overwhelming problem facing the USA and arguably the world right now is that the host of The Apprentice is structurally opposed solely by the dumbest motherfuckers ever to have drawn breath who seem to think "let him do his thing and we'll walk to victory in 2020" will work better for them than it worked for Jeb!

And this warrants conversation. In upwards of, hell, even two threads, even.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Willie Tomg posted:

Do everything in every thread actually, because the overwhelming problem facing the USA and arguably the world right now is that the host of The Apprentice is structurally opposed solely by the dumbest motherfuckers ever to have drawn breath who seem to think "let him do his thing and we'll walk to victory in 2020" will work better for them than it worked for Jeb!

And this warrants conversation. In upwards of, hell, even two threads, even.

Nancy Pelosi refused to publicly support single-payer medicare for all when asked by a down-trodden citizen at a town hall recently. She responded with senile incoherencies. They really think neoliberal incrementalist horseshit will sell if they keep pushing this Putin = omniscient boogeyman bullshit. 64% of Americans want single-payer, including a third of republicans. Watch the Democrats gently caress up this golden opportunity yet again (they will).

I say let this country burn.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alienwarehouse posted:

Nancy Pelosi refused to publicly support single-payer medicare for all when asked by a down-trodden citizen at a town hall recently. She responded with senile incoherencies. They really think neoliberal incrementalist horseshit will sell if they keep pushing this Putin = omniscient boogeyman bullshit. 64% of Americans want single-payer, including a third of republicans. Watch the Democrats gently caress up this golden opportunity yet again (they will).

I say let this country burn.
The people want good stuff, but the politicians don't want to give it to them. Let's burn the people!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Polygynous posted:

most americans are idiots, agreed op

No disagreement. It's just what Americans actually answered in polls.

Why the DNC pushed somebody who was close to equally disliked as Trump is still mind blowing. I wonder how terribly the Ds would have done without Trump being the competition. Hillary would likely have been slandered and poo poo on by the RWM machine in a roughly equal amounts, it could easily have been far more devastating with a real mandate because Rs could have won 60-40 instead of technically losing with 49-51. Ted Cruz or Jeb! with an actual sweeping mandate would be terrifying on a level above and beyond Trump, because there would be little pushback against their highly accelerated business as usual.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RasperFat posted:

Actually more Americans thought she should've been president.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

Actually more Americans thought she should've been president.

Not according to you

mcmagic posted:

Not voting or voting for a joke candidate was a vote for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Not according to you

Uhh more Americans actually voted for Clinton than Trump.

• Locked thread