Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Uh... so lots of people talk about how magic items (not random magic items, but the existence of magic items at all) is completely optional in 5th ed. Now looking over the magic item stuff in the DMG I can't see where it mentions that they're optional. Is it somewhere else?

I believe it's the PHB somewhere in the equipment section. It says something along the lines of "magic items are super rare and characters will probably never encounter one over the whole campaign so that's why we're not putting any rules for them here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Rolling for a random item to purchase is dumb unless your character is explicitly the kind of spendthrift who just buys whatever, but rolling for a complication like getting stuck in a bid war or having the seller try to rip you off with a fake could be fun - strictly in moderation.

If magic items are plentiful, there's no reason your character can't specifically seek something out, and if they're scarce there's no way they'd just be for sale such that you could randomly roll any of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Gumdrop Larry for the tip-off.

PHB page 144:

quote:

Magic Items. Selling magic items is problematic. Finding someone to buy a potion or a scroll isn't too hard, but other items are out of the realm of most but the wealthiest nobles. Likewise, aside from a few common magic items, you won't normally come across magic items or spells to purchase. The value of magic is far beyond simple gold and should always be treated as such.

That's a really passive-aggressive "nuh uh this is how it should work!" statement aimed directly at 3rd Edition.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

PHB page 144:

That's a really passive-aggressive "nuh uh this is how it should work!" statement aimed directly at 3rd Edition.
Eh, as a game goal "magic items are special and rare" is fine. It just completely fails to mesh with the other assumptions of the system. Like attunement. Everyone can attune to up to three items, but according to the game you'll probably never even find one non-attunement item. Why not cap it at one then? Or a table based on high/low/medium magic? Or not have a cap and make attunement eat class features (see my totally soon to be released fantasy heartbreaker it's real I swear)? But no, "You'll never find on they're super rare! Also you can have up to three at a time" it is.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

AlphaDog posted:

Uh... so lots of people talk about how magic items (not random magic items, but the existence of magic items at all) is completely optional in 5th ed. Now looking over the magic item stuff in the DMG I can't see where it mentions that they're optional. Is it somewhere else?

They're not necessary for combat effectiveness, not like they used to be.

Which I find to be refreshing. It means I can give out magic items randomly and see what happens.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

AlphaDog posted:

In the latest UA, you can spend your excess gold on finding magic items to buy! Which are randomly rolled*.

There's even a smartass smackdown Magic Item Purchase Complications table in case spending your gold to find out which random magic items you can spend your gold on wasn't quite dumb enough.

* But ask your DM

Doesn't the PHB explicitly say that magic items are generally above the gold economy, and you shouldn't expect to just wander into shops and buy them?

Edit: oh gently caress there was another page and someone literally posted it.

Petr fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 11, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Splicer posted:

Eh, as a game goal "magic items are special and rare" is fine. It just completely fails to mesh with the other assumptions of the system. Like attunement. Everyone can attune to up to three items, but according to the game you'll probably never even find one non-attunement item. Why not cap it at one then? Or a table based on high/low/medium magic? Or not have a cap and make attunement eat class features (see my totally soon to be released fantasy heartbreaker it's real I swear)? But no, "You'll never find on they're super rare! Also you can have up to three at a time" it is.

I think that statement is saying you won't find them in a shop, not that you'll never find one in a campaign.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Petr posted:

Doesn't the PHB explicitly say that magic items are generally above the gold economy, and you shouldn't expect to just wander into shops and buy them?

The PHB does and the DMG agrees, but then DMG whispers into the DM's ear "You can totally have merchants buy and sell magic items if you really want if that makes sense in your world." It even has a gp value chart in there based on rarity.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Splicer posted:

Or a table based on high/low/medium magic?

Isn't this in one of the books? Or am I thinking of 3.5?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

As an overarching design goal, yes, it's perfectly cogent and valid to not have a "magic item gear treadmill". What I take issue is the tone of that entire paragraph essentially making a 15-year parting shot about how 3e was "problematic" for letting you buy items right out of a store and how that sort of thinking was disrespectful to "the value of magic".

Kaysette posted:

Isn't this in one of the books? Or am I thinking of 3.5?

There is a table in the DMG for what a character should start with in a low/medium/high-magic campaign, and if they're starting at low/medium/high levels, but adjusting the campaign to be a "high magic" campaign does nothing for the 3-item attunement limit.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just out of curiosity, do we have a thread for talking about Critical Role? I tend to stick to the games subforum so I don't really know my way around the other parts of this place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If I recall correctly orcs in 4E actually get another "schtick ability" which is that upon reaching 0 hitpoints they get to immediately make a retaliatory melee attack against anyone in reach, which means that even if you decide to just go head-on with a bunch of orcs that there's a good chance you might get brought down along with them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is a table in the DMG for what a character should start with in a low/medium/high-magic campaign, and if they're starting at low/medium/high levels, but adjusting the campaign to be a "high magic" campaign does nothing for the 3-item attunement limit.

Oh duh, I totally missed the context for that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GoneRampant posted:

Just out of curiosity, do we have a thread for talking about Critical Role? I tend to stick to the games subforum so I don't really know my way around the other parts of this place.

Looks like Rapidly Going Deaf, the podcast subforum, has a general actual play thread but not one specific to Critlers.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

Looks like Rapidly Going Deaf, the podcast subforum, has a general actual play thread but not one specific to Critlers.

Oh thanks.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think you could fairly read that statement as "Magic is rare and powerful, there aren't workshops churning out magic items, you can only gain them from adventures."

Which is fine, but my players seem really confused on what to spend their money on. I feel like I have to give them a stronghold at this point because they're just buying magic scrolls and useless doodads during downtime just to feel like their money is worth something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The trick is to keep having a bad guy who steals their stuff between quests so they can track him down to the next plot point.

That's two problems solved with one development.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Playing SKT, I think I'm gonna nudge my players towards finding one of the burial mounds early, so I can (possibly) have a subplot where they already found and sold one of the key items they need. "Find the 9 burial mounds" is a little too boring/gamey so I'm already gonna cut down on them, I think 2 or 3 total including one that's "track down a supply company and figure out how to get your thing back" instead of just looting something would be more reasonable. It'd allow for bringing back NPCs, some roleplaying, multiple ways of resolving the problem. Of course, if my players realize the importance of the item, or don't disturb the grave, or any other way they don't end up selling it, good for them.

It's still a ways away, they just beat the giant attack in bryn shander so the world is wide open to them. I'm just trying to sketch out ideas for encounters now, and this one would be double duty in giving them an encounter now, while having consequences that affect the story. It might be a little on the nose though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 11, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kai Tave posted:

If I recall correctly orcs in 4E actually get another "schtick ability" which is that upon reaching 0 hitpoints they get to immediately make a retaliatory melee attack against anyone in reach, which means that even if you decide to just go head-on with a bunch of orcs that there's a good chance you might get brought down along with them.

This is how you accidentally murder a teammate with a ranged or area power in 4e.

Orc Grenadiers were the best for it, because they dropped one last grenade where they fall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Playing SKT, I think I'm gonna nudge my players towards finding one of the burial mounds early, so I can (possibly) have a subplot where they already found and sold one of the key items they need. "Find the 9 burial mounds" is a little too boring/gamey so I'm already gonna cut down on them, I think 2 or 3 total including one that's "track down a supply company and figure out how to get your thing back" instead of just looting something would be more reasonable. It'd allow for bringing back NPCs, some roleplaying, multiple ways of resolving the problem. Of course, if my players realize the importance of the item, or don't disturb the grave, or any other way they don't end up selling it, good for them.

It's still a ways away, they just beat the giant attack in bryn shander so the world is wide open to them. I'm just trying to sketch out ideas for encounters now, and this one would be double duty in giving them an encounter now, while having consequences that affect the story. It might be a little on the nose though.

I think you only do need to find one or two of them. Which ones they pick gives them info on a Giant lord.

Vengarr posted:

I think you could fairly read that statement as "Magic is rare and powerful, there aren't workshops churning out magic items, you can only gain them from adventures."

Which is fine, but my players seem really confused on what to spend their money on. I feel like I have to give them a stronghold at this point because they're just buying magic scrolls and useless doodads during downtime just to feel like their money is worth something.

Which I am happy for this UA for. Gives them something for them to spend on while still being rare as it's hard to find.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which I am happy for this UA for. Gives them something for them to spend on while still being rare as it's hard to find.

Rare and hard to find = Available to anyone with 100gp and a spare week?

e: Let's say I'm a 3rd level Bard. I've got 16 CHA for a +3. I've trained Persuasion and got Expertise, so my proficiency bonus is +6. My minimum roll to find a magic item to buy, if I spend one week looking and 100gp, is 1 +3 +6 = 10.

If I can get the modifier to the check up to the maximum by spending time and/or money (max of an extra 1000gp, so 1100gp all up), I get a +10. My minumum roll is now 20. My average roll is 30.5.

I'm likely to be rolling on table F or G. This puts me square in the range of all but one bardic instrument, weapons +1 and +2, and other cool poo poo like belts of hill giant strength, and horns of blasting.

Per the UA article, if I've stated I'm looking for a specific thing, and the DM decides that that specific thing is "an item (they) want to allow in the game", then it's there. I'm after weapons +1. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if there are magic items at all, then weapons +1 exist. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's still plenty of other poo poo on that list that would be cool.

Weapons +1 are Uncommon. They're worth 1d6*100gp.

I'm level 3. I can probably equip someone with a sword+1 for 1200-1700gp within a week. Seems like a whole lot of extra effort than just going "swords +1 are worth like 1500gp" but OK, whatever.

There's a small chance that I roll low. I'm sure this could be alleviated with spells or abilities, but gently caress digging through everything looking for it. Worst that happens is I end up having to buy worthless useless items like universal solvent or potions of storm giant stength or 8th level spell scrolls which would obviously be a very bad and dumb thing to spend your money on. If I roll high then the worst case scenario is that I end up with an item that's too expensive, but there's still an upside to that in that now I know where a very expensive item is kept which... well, I dunno, kicking in doors and taking stuff is kinda my job so I'm sure I'm gonna think of something.

e2: Or if swords +1 are the absolute best thing I want, I can lower the price by 500gp (and lose +5 to the roll) and still keep the entire range of their table within the possibility of my roll. Puts them at 700-1200gp.

Again, pointing out that I'm level 3 while this is happening, and I didn't superoptimise the character for finding magic items, I'm just playing a primary CHA bard who's good at Persuadion.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 12, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Hell, give me 100 genuine gold coins and a week, and I'll find you ANYTHING.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You might spend a week and 100g only for your seller to go "All I've got is this...potion of water breathing. Sorry."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

You might spend a week and 100g only for your seller to go "All I've got is this...potion of water breathing. Sorry."

WoW recently introduced a quest with a dummy prize of a Potion of Potion Drinking, which allows its drinker to drink potions. Use that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Arivia posted:

WoW recently introduced a quest with a dummy prize of a Potion of Potion Drinking, which allows its drinker to drink potions. Use that.

Wand of Wands. One charge. Creates a new Wand of Wands.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lifg posted:

Sword of Swording, can swing the sword like a sword.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

kingcom posted:

But make it still somehow worse than the wand of wands.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Bring Your Own BYOB

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kaysette posted:

But make it still somehow worse than the wand of wands.

Its a once per day ability since martials keep complaining that wizards get them :smaug:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

kingcom posted:

From a campaign that died before I got to use it. The "artifact" of a joke organization called the Compass Knights:

Compass Rose Longsword, clocks as vaguely magical. Its enchantment simply makes the tip magnetic. There's a brass pin on the crossguard. If you place it in the ground pin down it'll point North.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Maybe they have a chance encounter with something akin to the 'World Serpent Inn', and get introduced to a Sorcerer Smith that can reforge their weapon and add a minor enchantment to it (1d4 extra damage to a monster type, or roll and maybe get an elemental damage?) ... for only the cost of a hefty sum of gold, several magical items that the smith will drain the magic from and infuse into the weapon, and the monster bits of a whatever to try and get a kind of 'bane' for that.

A little too video game-y? I don't know! I've never done any of this stuff :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lifg posted:

I can think of a bunch of uses for a self replicating wooden stick. Twice a bunch if they still radiate magic after use.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vengarr posted:

It's called the marginal utility of money. Once someone's covering their day to day expenses and important one time purchases there's nothing to spend money on except increasingly frivolous extravagances and/or a runaway cycle of money -> investment -> more money. In real life this is the point of progressive taxation, and where the "money is just a way of keeping score" kicks in depends on how well your local government has set this up. Given that murderhobos have 0 daily expenses, one-time purchases that cap out at "good armour and weapon, maybe some horses", and a 0% tax rate, this problem is pretty much inevitable. So you need to either introduce day-to-day or major one-time expenses (paying for food and supplies, frequent magic weapon upgrades, castles and airships, potions and wands, and/or frequently being robbed) or... when was the last time they paid taxes again?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

It's called the marginal utility of money.

One of the best design features of Red Markets (and I believe Blades in the Dark does this too) is to introduce a significant maintenance and overhead cost to simply going out and doing the dungeon-delving thing, such that you need part of the loot just to break even, and failure means you might not be able to carry your weapon into the next adventure, never mind buying another one.

It's something that I wish D&D had, but it would require so much work and math to insert.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

So you need to either introduce day-to-day or major one-time expenses (paying for food and supplies, frequent magic weapon upgrades, castles and airships, potions and wands, and/or frequently being robbed) or... when was the last time they paid taxes again?

I'd think that at least castles and airships would need maintenance, if not actually incurring taxes from the local lords/air guilds/whatever. If the players really rake it in, they might see things like the lord's personal guard getting better equipment or the airship harbour developing new services. Tax collection and transport could add story hooks too.

Armor and weapons could have repair costs, but that's a little crunchy for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the best design features of Red Markets (and I believe Blades in the Dark does this too) is to introduce a significant maintenance and overhead cost to simply going out and doing the dungeon-delving thing, such that you need part of the loot just to break even, and failure means you might not be able to carry your weapon into the next adventure, never mind buying another one.

It's something that I wish D&D had, but it would require so much work and math to insert.

You could do it in Basic and 1e with hireling costs pretty easily I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What happens if an adventurer can't afford a weapon? It seems like there should never be a reason to reduce a character below starting wealth, or even a level-adjusted amount. If the fighter can't afford plate the party isn't going to be able to fight at-level content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

What happens if an adventurer can't afford a weapon? It seems like there should never be a reason to reduce a character below starting wealth, or even a level-adjusted amount. If the fighter can't afford plate the party isn't going to be able to fight at-level content.

Red Markets strives to capture something the author calls "economic horror", or the slow death spiral of not making enough money causing you to cut corners and/or go into debt, and that corner cutting means you're less likely to succeed this next time, which means you go into more debt and have to make do with even less yet again, and so on and so forth as a sort of thinly-veiled allegory for poverty under late-stage capitalism.

In that context, it would probably be completely in keeping with the theme for the Fighter to forego the use of a sword if two adventures ago they didn't have enough money to repair/maintain it, and then one adventure ago it broke and they didn't have enough money to replace it, and now they have to make do with a quarterstaff or a particularly burly tree twig.

In a less punishing view of gameplay, I agree that the player should probably not be allowed to fail harder than "I'm down to my short sword and chain mail and nothing else"

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

PHB page 144:

Oh...

I guess i missed that bit. I had my 4th level players start with a bunch of money and an uncommon magic item.

Petr posted:

So what do you even accumulate gold for?
What about 'kill things and take their stuff'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Put a super weird merchant in every dungeon who refuses to explain what he's doing there or what he's using the money for. Can't find a key? He can sell you one. Can't solve a puzzle? He'll sell you the answer. Want a generic tip on how to find special loot? He can sell you that tip. Want a random item package of increasingly good value? He'll sell you a mystery chest.

He's basically the premium vendor.